2017 CRF450R vs 2019 KTM 350 SXF

mr.waggoner
Edited Date/Time 6/20/2022 6:28am
Hi all,

I’m Jake and am a long-time reader, but this will be my first post. I’m trying to give additional information on the 350 vs 450 topic that I spent hours reading over and really pondering over before I settled on a new KTM 350 over getting a new 450. I literally was at the dealership and rode both because I still couldn’t decide. My personal decision was between the KTM 350 vs 450, but I recently spent a lot of time on the CRF450, so I figured I’d give my opinions between the 350 vs 450 as I’m glad I made the change to a 350 and I hope to provide more insight to you guys!

Follow me and my buddies film account "Clip Ghost" on IG!!

Me: mr.waggoner
Clip Ghost: clip_ghost

My stats:
Jake W.
27 years old
70% MX track. 30% rut track riding.
155 lbs
5’ 9”
Novice rider

2017 Honda CRF450R - 50 hours

Motor:

As most talk about the Honda 450, this motor is insane. It’s super-fast and very responsive which I enjoyed since I like to lug my bike I could leave it in 3rd for turns and could upshift into 4th for jumps which made the bike feel predictable when coming off the face of a jump. I could use 3rd through the corner and up to the face and then up shift into 4th (if it was a larger jump) and then just roll the throttle on off the face which gave me more confidence. I geared this bike 13:50 which allowed me to carry 3rd in tight ruts and also allowed me to further short shift this bike which helped with the overly powerful engine.

Where I didn’t like the engine was when I was tired. I’d do a few laps and then it just got to be a hand full and honestly I wasn’t having fun on it anymore (as you tend to hear about with 450’s). The bike began to ride me, and I felt like I had to really control the power and be careful. When I was on my 03 CR250R I could ride 20-minute moto’s no problem but the 450 I could only do it late into summer when I was in my peak shape for the year and still would have one or two scares going through braking bumps and barely touching the throttle and the thing jumping out on me. It would cause me to almost crash or go over a berm because I wasn’t expecting it to come alive and it would just almost jump out of my hands. This instant torque and hard pull is what would give me arm pump and really make me tired compared to how the 350 makes it’s power.

*I did send the ECU off to Tokyo Mods to get an even softer map as well as a standard map. I would run the map in the Tokyo Mods soft map always.

Chassis:

This is the bikes largest weakness.

I did just about everything I could outside of motor mounts (which I would have done next if I kept it this summer). I did a ride engineering link, suspension set for my weight, ran a 2015 CRF steering stabilizer in a stiffer setting, added sag 106-108mm, and ran the forks flush. I would still get head shake and the bike just felt nervous and unpredictable. I could turn very sharp on the bike but being nervous everywhere resulted in a scary bike especially on downhills with braking bumps. This along with the motor, resulted in a bike that only looked good in the garage but not something I wanted to go out and throw down moto’s on. I have heard that running the RX motor mounts or going to the WCL or FCP motor mounts would have resulted in a more compliant chassis, but there is honestly only so much this Honda can get.

Go to your dealer and sit on a Honda CRF450R and then go sit on a KTM 450. The KTM’s 450 is so much more plush and you feel the bike actually squat down when you sit on it. The Honda hardly moves when you sit on it as it is just so ridged which makes it hard to set up and be comfortable on! The stiff chassis and barky motor makes this bike an excited and fun bike to ride but it gets scary quick!

Suspension:

The suspension is great on this bike!

I love spring forks and once I set the springs up for my weight the bike was much more comfortable (outside of the chassis feel). I did feel like in an attempt to make the bike more balanced however, the suspension did have to suffer. What I mean by this is that in an attempt to get the rear end to settle down and not be so stink bugged, I had to go out 3.5 turns on the high speed rebound which made the rear end settle quite well in ruts and flat corners but because it was softer, it would blow through the stroke a little quicker. Maybe because I’m light but I felt like the suspension and chassis just didn’t’ work well together, the chassis was stiff while the suspension was plush and comfortable. It really helped the set up on the bike and made the bike track better (when coming out of a corner hard on the gas) but the chassis was still ridged when coming up to the next corner and hitting breaking bumps.

Overall, the suspension on this bike is great and you can’t beat the feel of the spring fork! It’s very predictable with little maintenance and I appreciated that!

Brakes:

Not really any complaints with the brakes outside of the front brake was a little grabby compared to the KTM’s Brembo’s and the rear pads lasted me one summer which is odd. I normally get about two seasons on pads, so they didn’t last long.

The rear brake was also very vague feeling which I feel like is a Honda thing. Not a bad thing but you really can notice it running the KTM and Honda back to back.

Clutch:

As we all know the Honda’s clutch needs work. I ran almost a month maybe two and then found that when wide open it started slipping as I was about to hit a step up (was sketchy) so I went to the Rekluse torq drive clutch plate kit which made the connectivity to the rear wheel really nice! Easier lever pull and it just seemed less “on/off” compared to the stock one. I also added a Magura hydraulic clutch which made it even better! I did notice that for this bike anyways you couldn’t adjust it and it seemed to put a lot of “strain” on the clutch. Like popping the bike into gear, it seemed a little more harsh than the cable lever.

The Honda shifted great but comparing the KTM to the Honda I feel like the Honda hits neutral much easier while out on the track. You just have to be careful and really ensure you get that upshift to 2nd clean if you went into 1st or while in 2nd don’t mistakenly bump the shifter down. The KTM is much better in this regard but no real complaints with the Honda’s tranny!

Reliability:

The bike was great at about 50 hours it always started (although with no electric start it took longer than it should have at about 3 kicks on average) and the fit and finish on the Honda is top notch! Pulling out bolts and putting them back in was seamless and easy and I just felt like you could own the bike for more than a few years and it’ll last.

I’m hard on clutches but was easy on the motor as I never hit the rev limiter (for some context of how I ride and treat things). I would do the air filter every ride or every other ride depending on conditions and how long I would ride. If I rode for an hour at the track without much dust I’d probably do one more track day on that filter resulting in about 3 hours of run time in moderate conditions.

For the engine oil I would change it at about every 3 hours, and I felt that it would then begin to discolor so I’d change it. The ran the OEM Honda stuff that was only $20.00 for 4 liters. Not too back especially compared to the $70.00 KTM stuff!

Coolant: I ran engine ice and never had any issues with the bike using any coolant like others we all have read about. I guess I was lucky!

Living with:

Overall, I really wanted to keep this bike and just keep getting CRF450’s forever (even the CRF250R) but man they have a lot of work to do compared to the orange bikes! I feel like with the motor being so fast and having to send the ECU to Tokyo Mods to get a softer map along with the stiff and harsh chassis that is sketchy and difficult to sent up and be comfortable on, I’d personally pass for this generation of Honda for lighter and slower guys! There are other bikes on the market that are much better out of the box and even after putting almost 2K into the Honda, I still wasn’t happy.

Performance Mods/Settings:
1. Race tech front & rear springs for 155 lbs Novice rider
2. Ride Engineering link
3. Tokyo Mods ECU reflash
4. MIKA Metals oversized handlebars
5. Changed some engine mount and swing arm pivot bolt torque specs decreasing the torq specs per Kris Keefer’s recommendations. It was about 2-3 lbs per bolt.

*I believe these all could have some effect on the overall bike worth mentioning.

2019 KTM SXF 350 - 6 hours

Motor:

This motor is so fun! It definitely has more of a 250f characteristic where you have to rev it into the mid-range for it to move but when watching other reviews, I kept hearing about how much you have to rev it for it to be fast and this simply isn’t true for 95% of us weekend warriors. Yes, I have to rev it more than my CRF450R to hit the same jumps but it’s not like it’s difficult to make them and I’m not hanging it out screaming the 350 to get over them.

Rev the 350 into the mid-range and it’s a wonderful bike. You don’t have to run around the track at 13K for you to go fast for us weekend warriors! The 450 I’d be running around the track at about 6,000 – 9,500 RPM and the 350 it’s about 7,000 – 10,000 RPM.

The motor is so lively and just feels like it’s in better shape compared to the 450 and makes deceiving power. For example: There’s this decent sized table that has a few small rollers before it with a decent run up to it. On the 350 I can go into the inside, mess up the rut and still make it over being in the upper part of 3rd or 4th being in lower rpms. You just have to shift from 2nd into 3rd coming out of the rut and then if you want to hit the face in a lower gear like I do, you have to shift again. The 450 motor can go from 3rd to 4th and simply jump it.

The motor feels a bit sluggish when in sand/fresh deep tracks if in the wrong gear or if you try and really bog it like the 450 (I’m guilty of initially trying to lug this 350) but I’ve come to realize that I can’t lug it and will leave it in gear the next lap for that section and she just keeps pulling and pulling in that lower gear. It was just an adjustment coming off the 450 more than anything.

When you’re riding it fast and revving the bike in the mid-range it feels very similar to the 450 in terms of overall pulling power. It just doesn’t sign off at the top so you can leave it if you’d like which is a cool thing.

While revving it into the mid-range the motor also doesn’t bind up the chassis, it feels free and the bike is still willing to change direction while engine braking coming into a corner. It’s not as free as a 2 stroke but in my opinion it’s a perfect amount of engine braking as the 2 strokes get a little loose in the rear and you have to really apply and watch the breaks, while the 450’s really bind the chassis and really slow you down. This 350 keeps the rear end planted and still allows the bike to move around freely. It’s a great feeling motor and chassis combination.

Chassis:

This is my favorite part of the bike! It does everything that I wanted the Honda to do right out of the box!

It is extremely compliant and is so easy to set up! No crazy head shake or fear of going fast and the bike doing weird and unpredictable things. It was a sign of relief when I first took it out! I was carving berms on this sand track which is my weakness and I felt comfortable on it right away. The front end doesn’t tuck like the Honda and it corners very well. For me, I feel like this 350 will corner better than the Honda because the Honda is so nervous setting up into the rut. The 350 just follows the ground nicely and allows you to put minimal input and it just does the work for you.

As for braking bumps this thing is a couch! I love when the tracks get rough and rutty and I tend to hit the slow lines to hit the bumps since I think they’re fun. Lol. It soaks them up so well and the bike has great feedback but isn’t harsh or over reactive. The entire bike stays flat over the bumps and you can hold your line extremely well while heading to whatever rut you’re going for in the next turn.

Suspension:

The WP air forks aren’t as bad as I thought they were going to be!

Outside of harder tracked tracks its hard for me to feel a difference between them and spring forks! Once the track gets harder throughout the day, I get a familiar air fork feel when going over smooth ish bumps, but this air fork feels nothing like my brothers 2015 CRF450R KYB air forks in how vague those felt.

These WP air forks feel like a spring fork 90% of the time to me with no front-end vagueness feeling at all that seems to plague other air forks. My largest gripe is having to check them before I ride, and I check them about every other moto to ensure the air pressure doesn’t rise. They seemed to rise about 2 PSI (I think 3 PSI is 1 BAR for those who are familiar with BAR) during the first couple of hours but after only 6 hours the forks don’t seem to rise more than 1 PSI all day. Speaking of which, I can tell between 1 PSI which could just be me and that I can tell very small changes. I like running 149 PSI and when it’s at 148 I can tell it’s a little soft off of landings and in the corner the front end dives just a tad too much but at 150 PSI it’s a bit stiff off of landings and the front end pushes a little coming into corners. It could just be me being sensitive to changes, but this is one thing that I dislike about the air forks. 149 PSI is spot on, but I can be doing my 2nd moto and if I don’t check them and they build to 150 PSI, I’m not getting a favorable feel in the corners and I’ll be focused on that during my moto which can be annoying.

The rear end is great, and I have no real complaints at all about the rear end. I slowed rebound 2 clicks, set my sag to 103mm (I’m going to try 105mm as recommended but feel like the bike is nearly perfect at 103mm) and just run it. It stays level coming into turns both sitting or standing and tracks very well with great traction on acceleration chop and rough choppy ruts. I also haven’t felt like the rear end is overly reactive like on the Honda. I’m not quite sure if this is due to the Honda’s chassis but the KTM’s rear end doesn’t get that side to side kick or swabbing as much as the Honda. I think it’s a combination between the chassis and rear suspension being set up well.

Overall, anyone who is on the fence about getting a KTM or husky due to the air forks, I’d highly suggest you try it out as they are great overall, and I’d say that 99% of us can live with them! You also can do the KYB inserts or go to the cone valve fork if you’re really into the spring fork feel but for me and costs associated, I’m going to just to run stock as I plan on getting a new 350 every 2-3 years. I do believe that the cone valves come with the tubes and you could change those from bike to bike which may change my mind about them!

Brakes:

Great overall!

I feel like the front brakes have great modulation and I can really get a smooth squeeze on them. For example, there’s this tricky section at my local track that goes: Right-handed 90-degree corner, downhill of about 15 ft of elevation slightly off camber, and into a left-handed 90 degree turn and I love taking the inside rut (I love ruts!).

With these Brembo’s I can start to lean left and be heading towards the inside rut while smoothly braking as I enter the rut. The Honda’s front brake was fairly smooth but a lot more grabby compared to these Brembo’s (especially when you get tired and applying smooth lever pull is harder). I did have aftermarket ARC levers on the CRF which I tried putting on the KTM and they did feel like I had less modulation. I went back to the stock Brembo levers. “Stock is best” as per usual! This could have negatively affected the Honda’s brakes for this comparison!

The rear brake is also very modular, and I feel has so much better feel that my Honda’s CRF450R! The CRF450R rear brake felt vague while the KTM’s is smooth and I can feel the area of engagement which is great for tricky downhill off camber sections going into deep ruts or coming into a corner!
I feel like I can use the rear brake to slide the rear end around more which is really weird because I’m 100% a front end steering guy and never do this, but I’ve found on some berms it’s quite easy to use the rear brake to drift a little coming into the turn and bank off of it and then accelerate out. Something I never would have dreamed doing with the Honda!

Clutch:

I don’t have a long-term review on this clutch but so far I really enjoy the Brembo hydraulic clutch!

When clicking into gear is very smooth and sometimes it doesn’t even do the “Click” that most clutches do. It’s just buttery smooth and in gear!

I haven’t experienced any slipping from the clutch yet like I did on my Honda which is great. I plan on running these stock plates for the summer and then over the winter replacing the plates with a Rekluse torq drive clutch pack or have been thinking of trying an auto clutch for fun!

The shift lever took a little getting used to compared to the Honda as it was weird upshifting but after a few rides I’m used to the foot lever feel and can nail my shifts.

Reliability:

So far this bike has been great but again, I don’t have a long-term review on this like I did with the Honda. I will admit that the fit and finish doesn’t seem to be as top notch on the KTM compared to the Honda.

What I mean by this is the KTM uses a lot of plastic where the Honda utilizes metal (I’m sure to aid in the weight savings). The retaining lock spindle on the rear shock to retain the spring for example. The KTM’s is plastic so you have to be very careful and can’t beat on it like the Honda’s. Right tool for the right job I suppose!

Also, there are these almost wood screws for some of the plastic that haven’t given me any issues but I can imagine that I wouldn’t want to take them in and out over the next 4-5 years as they could strip pretty easily which compared to the Honda which isn’t an issue.

Lastly, the KTM’s bolts just seem more finicky and have more issues threading in compared to the Honda. The sub-frame torxs bolt for example was a nightmare rethreading on the KTM. I was changing my plastic to the all-orange plastic and couldn’t get it back in. I had to be very careful not to cross thread and it’s just a headache. The Honda’s bolts all just threaded in smoothly and I never had any issues.
So far, If I couldn’t afford to purchase bikes ever 2-3 years I’d go with the Japanese bikes Honda or Yamaha for longevity.

*Note: This could change if the KTM proves to not strip bolts like I’m currently suspecting may occur with years of use.

Living with:

So far the KTM is a dream to live with! Setting it up and getting comfortable on this bike was so simple and most importantly, fun! I haven’t had this much fun on a bike since I got off my CR. I’d always pull off the track on the 450 going this could be better or I need to change this or that while this KTM is so much fun to ride! I put gas in it, adjust/lube the chain, and go have fun! I also haven’t spent like 2k in mods to get the thing comfortable! I bought the bike, a few goodies for fun, and ride it.
It makes me excited to ride and I’ve been really enjoying this bike outside of attempting to not trash the treads. Lol.

Mods/Settings:
P3 Carbon Hybrid Skid plate (I didn’t notice any rigidity changes).
Flow Radiator guards (I didn’t notice any rigidity changes).
All stock other than these changes!

Thanks guys! Let me know what you think about the 350 vs 450 discussion and lets talk! As long as we all enjoy our bikes that's what really matters!
Poll

2019/2020 350 vs 450?

Choices
|
mxryan25
3/30/2020 1:47pm
Nice write up 👍🏼 I’ve got 75 hours on my 350 first ktm since mini bikes and it’s been solid so far. The nuts and bolts do seem a bit sub par to Japanese bikes as they don’t have a plating, but instead a thin coating that wears off easily and the hardware starts to look bad quickly. Grease any bolt that threads into the frame to prevent rust and corrosion(skid plate, frame guards, gas tank) the powder coat on the frame will chip off no matter what on certain parts of the frame mainly the foot peg areas, I always hit those spots with WD after washing. as you mentioned the aer forks are the only hang up with this bike, everything else is amazing. I had some ohlins forks for about hours 25-55 and man the bike was unreal, but I sold them and really struggled getting back on the aer. Over winter I bought the power part triple clamps and got the forks revalved(about 700$ all together) and geez i wasn’t expecting such an improvement ! The action is still not quite on the level of the ohlins but it’s certainly very good and now I’m not thinking of dropping 2k for the kyb conversion Laughing enjoy Cool
mr.waggoner
3/30/2020 6:19pm
mxryan25 wrote:
Nice write up 👍🏼 I’ve got 75 hours on my 350 first ktm since mini bikes and it’s been solid so far. The nuts and bolts...
Nice write up 👍🏼 I’ve got 75 hours on my 350 first ktm since mini bikes and it’s been solid so far. The nuts and bolts do seem a bit sub par to Japanese bikes as they don’t have a plating, but instead a thin coating that wears off easily and the hardware starts to look bad quickly. Grease any bolt that threads into the frame to prevent rust and corrosion(skid plate, frame guards, gas tank) the powder coat on the frame will chip off no matter what on certain parts of the frame mainly the foot peg areas, I always hit those spots with WD after washing. as you mentioned the aer forks are the only hang up with this bike, everything else is amazing. I had some ohlins forks for about hours 25-55 and man the bike was unreal, but I sold them and really struggled getting back on the aer. Over winter I bought the power part triple clamps and got the forks revalved(about 700$ all together) and geez i wasn’t expecting such an improvement ! The action is still not quite on the level of the ohlins but it’s certainly very good and now I’m not thinking of dropping 2k for the kyb conversion Laughing enjoy Cool
Thanks man! Just trying to give my opinion has I had such a hard time deciding. Both KTM's are both great bikes 350 + the 450 which makes it hard to decide. I was at the dealership riding them around the parking lot going back and forth. lol.

I just looked today at cone valve pricing as I thought the forks were cheaper but they are $3700-$4300 just for the forks. lol. If I end up having comfort issues with the forks, I'll have to try that as $700 sounds like a good deal! So far I plan on running it stock! I'm impressed with the bike and also am trying and spending money on gas and just riding more vs shinny parts! lol.

-Jake
yz133rider
3/30/2020 6:38pm
mxryan25 wrote:
Nice write up 👍🏼 I’ve got 75 hours on my 350 first ktm since mini bikes and it’s been solid so far. The nuts and bolts...
Thanks man! Just trying to give my opinion has I had such a hard time deciding. Both KTM's are both great bikes 350 + the 450...
Thanks man! Just trying to give my opinion has I had such a hard time deciding. Both KTM's are both great bikes 350 + the 450 which makes it hard to decide. I was at the dealership riding them around the parking lot going back and forth. lol.

I just looked today at cone valve pricing as I thought the forks were cheaper but they are $3700-$4300 just for the forks. lol. If I end up having comfort issues with the forks, I'll have to try that as $700 sounds like a good deal! So far I plan on running it stock! I'm impressed with the bike and also am trying and spending money on gas and just riding more vs shinny parts! lol.

-Jake
You can find ohlins for about 3k, bit less than the cv's. If i had a ktm again thats the route id go and never look back. Either that or spring inserts installed, kyb or mxtech lucky carbons.
mxryan25
3/30/2020 6:39pm
Thanks man! Just trying to give my opinion has I had such a hard time deciding. Both KTM's are both great bikes 350 + the 450...

-Jake
Yeah they are steep haha, they hold their value nice for resale but dropping that kind of $ is a bit much for me Pinch if you’re struggling do a revalve when your stuff is due for a service that alone should help quite a bit !

The Shop

mxryan25
3/30/2020 6:46pm
yz133rider wrote:
You can find ohlins for about 3k, bit less than the cv's. If i had a ktm again thats the route id go and never look...
You can find ohlins for about 3k, bit less than the cv's. If i had a ktm again thats the route id go and never look back. Either that or spring inserts installed, kyb or mxtech lucky carbons.
Nice used ones for 2-2500, i got a pretty clean set for 1300 and hooked my buddy up a few months later for 1350 Woohoo hindsight 20/20 probably should’ve held onto them haha but pretty pumped with the setup I have now and I’m a picky SOB
mr.waggoner
3/30/2020 7:30pm

-Jake
mxryan25 wrote:
Yeah they are steep haha, they hold their value nice for resale but dropping that kind of $ is a bit much for me :pinch: if...
Yeah they are steep haha, they hold their value nice for resale but dropping that kind of $ is a bit much for me Pinch if you’re struggling do a revalve when your stuff is due for a service that alone should help quite a bit !
Thanks for the heads up! I will give that a try if I end up having issues. I suspect that I'd look into a spring conversion for the long run just for overall feel and since I'm so damn picky! lol. Saturday I adjusted the air and should have let it sit for a second but I dropped it to 148 PSI by mistake and ended up doing a lap and had to pull off and add air to get to 149. Me being so picky I'm sure I'll get tired of the air for the long run. I'm hoping that I can get it down where I run it 148 and after a lap or so it'll build to 149 for the remainder of my moto. I don't know, I'm going to get creative with it and really give it a chance before I drop a few grand on springs. lol.
cody41
3/31/2020 4:58am
35 hours - ktm is completely roached.
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 9:39am
cody41 wrote:
What evidence do you have to support your claim?

Was it a lemon if it was only one case? How was the bike ridden? What the maintenance like, air filter changes, riding conditions, oil change intervals, etc.? These are all questions that are obviously relevant in how long a bike lasts as if you rode your KTM off the limiter for 35 hours I'd say that pretty damn impressive. lol. Most of use don't ride like that however.

My buddy has a 2015 250SX with 255 hours and she's going well and has had a new top and bottom end but seems to be a great bike for him other than normal use and maintenance. He takes care of his stuff and is a smooth rider which may help.

Let's have some detailed and evidence based discussion. If not, quit hating. lol.
yz133rider
3/31/2020 9:53am
cody41 wrote:
Yeah if you use a pipe wrench to work on it perhaps.
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 10:06am
crowe176 wrote:
Lap time comparison??
I don't. I could take some lap times on the 350 but it wouldn't be fair since the track would be different as far as ruts and roughness.

I feel about the same speed overall on both bikes and can take similar lines on both bikes. I think I can last longer on the 350 but am going about the same speed overall. I just enjoy the ride more on the 350 compared to the 450 which is what matters to me.
opyguy
3/31/2020 11:33am
had 85 hours on a 350sxf, valves hadn't moved....
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 11:46am
opyguy wrote:
How hard do you ride? Off the limiter or smooth?

Either way, impressive!

I'm not worried about modern 4T these days. 2004, 2 strokes were the way to go for sure! lol.
mxryan25
3/31/2020 12:02pm
opyguy wrote:
Same at 75 hours, decent local A rider not wringing it’s neck off but certainly not lugging it around either. These engines are top notch
c0ncEpT
3/31/2020 12:52pm
I have a 2018 KTM 350SXF and a friend of mine has a 2019 CRF450R-WE and I feel the same way as you do.

The chassis and motor on the KTM are so much better for my riding style.

I couldn't get the Honda to handle at all. Any time I touched the gas in a flat corner it was like the thing wanted to spin out.
MXer391
3/31/2020 1:39pm
Nice write up my man. I'm on my 3rd 350 and they are good bikes. I haven't rode the newest gen Honda 450 but your assessment is about spot on to mine regarding the two. I'm not the biggest fan of the AER fork but it's not the worst either.

Whoever said that KTMs get roached is a clown. I have 100+ hours combined on mine and never had a major problem. I have a '19 currently and it's a great bike.

Throw a 51 or 52 tooth rear on it if you want a little more pull. You can also cut the tab inside the airbox cover off with a razor blade and throw a 2 stroke filter cage in to get a little more air flow. I don't personally like drilling holes on the airbox cover because the filters get dirty fast but you can get a '20 vented cover if you wanted. I took a pair a plyers on pulled that screen out of the muffler as well and it seemed to rev a little quicker and gave the motor a more "free" feeling.

There are definitely less expensive oil alternatives to the Motorex as well. I've run a couple different quality 10w-50 synthetics and I change it every 5-7 hours depending on conditions. Never ever had a single clutch or engine issue.

Look forward to following your thread...
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/31/2020 1:55pm
wait til you get a few more hours on it 10+ hrs, engine and suspension/chassis free up nicely. imo
DynoDan22
3/31/2020 2:00pm
I can think of two brands that are "roached" at 35 hrs and they aren't orange or white. These two brands feature fasteners made from coat hanger metal and strip easily. Haha
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 2:05pm
opyguy wrote:
mxryan25 wrote:
Same at 75 hours, decent local A rider not wringing it’s neck off but certainly not lugging it around either. These engines are top notch
This is great news! If an A rider can't break it, I certainly won't. LOL.
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 2:10pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
I have a 2018 KTM 350SXF and a friend of mine has a 2019 CRF450R-WE and I feel the same way as you do. The chassis...
I have a 2018 KTM 350SXF and a friend of mine has a 2019 CRF450R-WE and I feel the same way as you do.

The chassis and motor on the KTM are so much better for my riding style.

I couldn't get the Honda to handle at all. Any time I touched the gas in a flat corner it was like the thing wanted to spin out.
100%. I felt that the Rekluse clutch pack helped with the rear end wanting to just light up but I'm a super smooth rider and really roll the throttle on and the rear end would spin at odd times on the CRF. It's just such a stiff bike that I think the energy has no where to go and instead of squatting and dissipating the energy through the chassis and suspension, it just slides out. lol.

Convert your buddy to the 350! The first time I hopped on my buddies 19 350 I was sold on the KTM chassis. It's a couch compared to his Honda.
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 2:11pm
soggy wrote:
wait til you get a few more hours on it 10+ hrs, engine and suspension/chassis free up nicely. imo
I've heard they do take some time from Kris Keefer.

The motor had a lot of engine braking initially on the street but after 3 hours I took it to the dirt and it felt free.

I was initially worried about that but it feels great on the track. If it does loosen up it should be good!
mr.waggoner
3/31/2020 2:17pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
I can think of two brands that are "roached" at 35 hrs and they aren't orange or white. These two brands feature fasteners made from coat...
I can think of two brands that are "roached" at 35 hrs and they aren't orange or white. These two brands feature fasteners made from coat hanger metal and strip easily. Haha
Lol, I've seen a Kx's that had fork guards breaking from roost and a buddy went through two 250f motors in a season + the pro circuit team has a few DNF's each summer for outdoors. There definitely are worse bikes out there for sure.

Not hating on the green bikes but there are several examples of reoccurring issues with some models out there. Similar to the Honda's clutch and over heating issues.

DaBaum44
9/29/2020 4:58pm
Nice review! I've been reading up on the 350 SX-F and this is some of the best content I've found. Are you still liking the 350 SX-F as much now that I assume you've had more time to ride it?
AH387
9/30/2020 6:31am
Great write-up. I liked how detailed you were with everything. It is really a tough thing to decide on. Also, the opinions can vary depending on the situation, as I have come to find out. I raced 2 weekends ago at High Point and my friend was on the gate with me. He has a 20 450SXF stock with an exhaust and I'm on a 17 FC350 with exhaust, gearing change, 2 stroke filter cage and Race Tech Suspension. We are almost identical speed and it was funny just seeing certain points that we would pull on each other. In slow corners and certain inside lines, the 450 would pull me. Some of those times I maybe could have dropped to 2nd gear, but I was trying to use momentum on the outsides and just doing some different things to try to play to the 350's strengths. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. Overall, I think a 350 is fun, you can ride the longer w/o mistakes or getting tired, you can be more aggressive and they handle better. But they aren't for everyone. Also, I think in a racing scenario sometimes certain things get exposed that would be a negative about them but also some positives. In a way, in fast sections, it sort of feels like you can actually reel in a 450. A few different tracks, just holding the thing wide it just keeps pulling and maybe the 450 leveled off and he didn't shift. I dunno. Just sharing some thoughts, but I enjoyed your post.
mr.waggoner
9/30/2020 4:41pm
DaBaum44 wrote:
Nice review! I've been reading up on the 350 SX-F and this is some of the best content I've found. Are you still liking the 350...
Nice review! I've been reading up on the 350 SX-F and this is some of the best content I've found. Are you still liking the 350 SX-F as much now that I assume you've had more time to ride it?
Hey thanks man! yeah, I couldn't find much and was sort of scared to make the jump and hate it! I still love the bike and have about 40 hours on it since March. All Motocross track hours.

The only issue I've been having is the air fork. It's really good but I hate when it it gets a bit chilly and it drops pressure and she gets softer. I'm going to get some MX Tech Lucky spring forks in the next 1-2 weeks which I think will make the bike perfect for me. No issues as far as reliability. Stock clutch still and I haven't even needed to put in coolant all summer. It's been a rock solid bike!
mr.waggoner
9/30/2020 4:46pm
AH387 wrote:
Great write-up. I liked how detailed you were with everything. It is really a tough thing to decide on. Also, the opinions can vary depending on...
Great write-up. I liked how detailed you were with everything. It is really a tough thing to decide on. Also, the opinions can vary depending on the situation, as I have come to find out. I raced 2 weekends ago at High Point and my friend was on the gate with me. He has a 20 450SXF stock with an exhaust and I'm on a 17 FC350 with exhaust, gearing change, 2 stroke filter cage and Race Tech Suspension. We are almost identical speed and it was funny just seeing certain points that we would pull on each other. In slow corners and certain inside lines, the 450 would pull me. Some of those times I maybe could have dropped to 2nd gear, but I was trying to use momentum on the outsides and just doing some different things to try to play to the 350's strengths. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. Overall, I think a 350 is fun, you can ride the longer w/o mistakes or getting tired, you can be more aggressive and they handle better. But they aren't for everyone. Also, I think in a racing scenario sometimes certain things get exposed that would be a negative about them but also some positives. In a way, in fast sections, it sort of feels like you can actually reel in a 450. A few different tracks, just holding the thing wide it just keeps pulling and maybe the 450 leveled off and he didn't shift. I dunno. Just sharing some thoughts, but I enjoyed your post.
Dude that's awesome! I had similar experiences racing this summer and just about pulled a hole shot on a full gate of 450's! It was a 2nd place start which really shocked me with a long start straight. It's all depending on the rider and situation as you mentioned. I'm still finding that the more I leave it in 2nd and 3rd she just keeps pulling and pulling. I've gotten much better about not going into 4th like I used to and just rev the hell out of 3rd. Lol.

I wish more people would try the 350 with how fun they are! On the Race Tech stuff, did you get the spring conversion?
AH387
10/1/2020 5:26am
Ya for sure. There is certainly a bit more to think about with your technique, when racing against 450s. But at the same time, like we both mentioned, you can still pull 450s on straights if you shift correctly and keep momentum. I did make some poor line choices as far as insides and whatnot and it was obvious my buddy on his 450 was able to come out of corners harder, when I did that. Lesson learned. But ya, most tracks 3rd will pull any fast section. Keep it reving lol.

I did not get the spring conversion. It was never really on my radar unless I was totally unhappy after trying a few different things first. So I go to MPR in PA. He's really good with the AER stuff. I let him do whatever he does to them with RT Gold Valves, SKF seals and I needed a shock spring change because of what we did with revalve etc to get my correct sag. It's awesome. No complaints at all. If I was still not happy, the next step would have been the Hybrid set-up that they offer. Our friend qualified for LL1 with basically the set-up that I have. But for LL2 he switched to the hybrid and said it helps on the chop and rough. But he told me, since I'm not riding/racing on hammered tracks during the Pro Nationals, that what I have should make me happy and the were right. I'm pleased.
erik_94COBRA
10/1/2020 8:42am
Nice review. I had a 2018 Honda CRF450 (sold), a 2019 KTM 450 SXF (sold), and now a 2019 Husqvarna FC350.

Very few mods for me on the Husky but adding a Vortex ECU and spring forks (WP CC) sprung/valved for me were well worth the money.
AH387
10/1/2020 9:06am
Nice review. I had a 2018 Honda CRF450 (sold), a 2019 KTM 450 SXF (sold), and now a 2019 Husqvarna FC350. Very few mods for me...
Nice review. I had a 2018 Honda CRF450 (sold), a 2019 KTM 450 SXF (sold), and now a 2019 Husqvarna FC350.

Very few mods for me on the Husky but adding a Vortex ECU and spring forks (WP CC) sprung/valved for me were well worth the money.
I really want to do some sort of tuning to mine. I can't justify another $1000 for a Vortex and maps. And I see info on stock ECU remaps but also heard it is very limited. If there is a way to lose a bit of engine braking and get the bike to rev quicker, through tuning, that would get the bike near perfect for me.

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450R vs 2019 KTM 350 SXF

The Latest