2017 250's

Hey fellow vital members in looking to get myself a new bike. I'm in the market for 2017 250F. I've always been a Yamaha guy and currently own 2 Yamaha machines and love them. I've had green & yellow bikes in the past as well with success. Right now I have it narrowed down to 3. A YZF, KXF, & a RMZ. Either of the three would make me happy. I've read plenty of reviews and watched all the YouTube videos and the YZ & KX seem to be pretty close but the Suzuki seems to be dogged on for being low on power. I can over look less power for a better cornering bike. Now what I want to know is info from you vital owners who own those 3 bikes. Pros & cons of them, what modifications you've done etc. I can get all three for s very similar price also
|
Bennett59
7/25/2017 5:46pm
I'd hold off on RmZ for now it more then likely will get its big change next year. Yamaha seem to be good on power for 250f I've personally never rode one. I had a lot of Kawis 250f never any issues with them, not on your list but the husky and ktm are pretty good I really liked the husky.
TeamGreen
7/25/2017 5:53pm
Bennett59 wrote:
I'd hold off on RmZ for now it more then likely will get its big change next year. Yamaha seem to be good on power for...
I'd hold off on RmZ for now it more then likely will get its big change next year. Yamaha seem to be good on power for 250f I've personally never rode one. I had a lot of Kawis 250f never any issues with them, not on your list but the husky and ktm are pretty good I really liked the husky.
RMZ 250 big change is '19.

The YZF is pretty solid and VERY fast. The dealers should be getting their '18s soon; so, 17's should be getting good discounts.

Good luck.
7/25/2017 6:46pm
Not really interested in a KTM or Husky. A new bike is enough money and those cost even more. I'm just a weekend warrior. I don't need the best bike available but I still want something fun. I've heard a lot of durability issues with the Austrian bikes also. Two friends of mine bought brand new KTM'sand both have had issues with less than 10 hours on them.
7/25/2017 6:53pm
Not really interested in a KTM or Husky. A new bike is enough money and those cost even more. I'm just a weekend warrior. I don't...
Not really interested in a KTM or Husky. A new bike is enough money and those cost even more. I'm just a weekend warrior. I don't need the best bike available but I still want something fun. I've heard a lot of durability issues with the Austrian bikes also. Two friends of mine bought brand new KTM'sand both have had issues with less than 10 hours on them.
Pretty sure there is a guy in the Bazaar cutting deals on left over 17 YZF. I would choose Yamaha over those 2.

The Shop

basslips
Fantasy
2143rd
7/25/2017 9:25pm
My son has been riding his '17 YZ250f for right at 1 year now, 67 hours. Its been incredibly solid like all Yamaha's I've owned. Great engine, great suspension, and good handling. A friend just got his kid a '17 KX250f and i've ridden it a fair amount. Suspension not nearly as good when the track gets rougher, ergonomics not as comfy (i've been on yamaha's awhile), and with about 12 hours on the bike according to the hour meter, it looks about like my kids bike with 67 hrs. The KX engine is pretty good, seems to have a ton of overrev, corners really well and has good clutch pull.
tempura
7/25/2017 9:27pm
Since you're a Yamaha guy, why not just get the yami? A lot of people love them, they have a great motor and good suspension.
If it were me, I'd get a leftover Kawi, or wait for the new Honda.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
7/25/2017 9:27pm
I'm a Suzuki man, but I'd wait on their new 250. If you can't wait, I'd choose green. Should be some good deals on leftovers....
7/25/2017 9:40pm
Not really interested in a KTM or Husky. A new bike is enough money and those cost even more. I'm just a weekend warrior. I don't...
Durability issues? I have a 2016 Husky FC250, stock original engine 92 hours, not a problem. Checked the valves at 60 hours, bang on perfect. Checked them again at 92, still bang on perfect. Replaced the piston just for preventative maintenance. The ring gap on the piston I removed with 92 hours was identical to the new OEM out of the box piston... Amsoil full synthetic every 5 hours, air filter ever 1-2 rides, anything will be very reliable if maintained properly.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
7/26/2017 2:27am
Go with the Yamaha, The kawi has airforks, a joke compared to the KYB on the blue bike. The yellow bike is just old tech, hate to bag on it but how many do you see on the line at a national or even a big am race?
7/26/2017 3:30am
I guess I should have explained more in my original post. I've always been a Yamaha guy but the new bikes are just kinda ugly imo. My buddy has a 16 Kawi 450 and I loved the narrow nimble feeling of it and they made those changes on the 17 250 so that was my reasoning. And maybe not with the husky but the KTM (even tho they are basically the same) I've just seen some issues with them holding up. Even tho we all just watched ZO16 bike spew oil everywhere and keep going. I've just never owned a 4 stroke motocross bike before. I do enjoy riding them. Had a local dealer quote me $6548 out the door tax, & title included on a 17 YZ250F.....
7/26/2017 3:58am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Go with the Yamaha, The kawi has airforks, a joke compared to the KYB on the blue bike. The yellow bike is just old tech, hate...
Go with the Yamaha, The kawi has airforks, a joke compared to the KYB on the blue bike. The yellow bike is just old tech, hate to bag on it but how many do you see on the line at a national or even a big am race?
Kawi 250 does not have air forks, the 450 does.

I have a 17 KX250F and love it. It does everything well.

IMO go sit on them and see which one feels best to you. I have rode the 16 Yamaha and will admit its got more motor than my Kawi but in no way would I say its a better bike. The Kawi feels light, nimble and is very narrow at the tank.

If you were a pro then I would say get the Yamaha but at this point sit on them and see what you can get the best deal on.
7/26/2017 5:32am
I love my 2016 yz250f. I've always ridden Yamahas, but this bike is so much fun. It is powerful, and handles like a dream.The track was pretty chopped up late in the day at my last race and it handled it well.

I haven't ridden any other brands of newer 250fs though.
mxb2
7/26/2017 5:51am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Go with the Yamaha, The kawi has airforks, a joke compared to the KYB on the blue bike. The yellow bike is just old tech, hate...
No air forks on the 250 kawy.
7/26/2017 6:02am
I just a professional practice track rider on the weekends lol. I went to a local Kawasaki dealer yesterday after work and they were out of 250Fs. They told me they could order one in from a warehouse before the end of august and I could still get the $750 rebate on it. The Yamaha i got quoted for is still cheaper "if" they still have any left. Saturday I'm going to a dealer that sells Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and even Honda bikes. I'll sit on my top 3 and see how they feel and maybe do some talking and try to get a deal.

Suspension isn't a big deal right off the show room floor because over the winter I'd send it out to be setup for my weight/skill level anyways. The forks & shock on my YZ 250 is due for a service this winter anyways so I'd get two birds stoned at once
MiTB
7/26/2017 8:03am
owned a 10,15,16 and now a 2017 yz250f. With these 3 bikes (newer generation) i´ve never had a problem.
I like the handling most together with a solid engine.
7/26/2017 8:57am
I'd get whatever you can get the best deal on. I got a new '16 RM-Z250 for just over 5k out the door back in February.
7/26/2017 9:36am
I'd get whatever you can get the best deal on. I got a new '16 RM-Z250 for just over 5k out the door back in February.
Honestly I'd take a Suzuki for that price with no complaints
jeffro503
7/26/2017 9:41am
I've been thinking real serious about picking up a Husky 250F later this summer or early next spring. Was thinking maybe the TC 250 instead , but I have my older RM 250, so not sure I need two. I think the 250F would be a little easier to hold onto during longer motos as well.
CB283
7/26/2017 11:43am
After owning an 09, 12, 14 & 16 YZF250 I was a bit worried when I switched to the 17 KXF this year...

BUT, I've fallen in love with it. Yamaha has more bottom end power, but KXF has more overrev. Once I had my KXF suspension setup for me, they were very close if not on par with the KYB SSS.

KXF is lighter, nimbler, corners better and has more overrev...oh and they're a breeze to work on! A HGS pipe also livens up the power a bit, along with the white mapping plug. Doesn't feel a million miles away from the Yam anymore.

YZF is predictable once you get used to it, great bottom end, better build quality (plastics for example!), obviously a bonus to have the power tuner etc.

Both are great bikes and you won't go wrong with either. Just comes down to what you prefer to get out of a bike.
7/27/2017 9:42am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2017 10:46am
Alrighty guys heading to the dealership Saturday to sit on some bikes and talk to salesmen. I've never done this before so what's some do's and dont's when trying to get a lower price. If that's possible? I got OTD prices from dealer A and I'll be going to dealer B. Do I let them know that I can get this bike for this price and try to bargain with them or does that turn them away?
7/29/2017 1:51am
if i was you i would go to a local track and offer some money to test ride someones yz250f and kx250f and see what you like, but think you cant really go wrong either way i think both are reliable and fast enough. i think i read some where that a HGS pipe for a kxf250 give something like 2,5HP gain but cant remember where i read that.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
7/29/2017 2:43am
There was a vital thread a while back about the 14 YZ250F and problems after washing it (not starting, bogging, cutting out). Is that all sorted for the 2017 or do you still need to be careful with a power washer?
7/29/2017 6:09am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2017 6:10am
There was a vital thread a while back about the 14 YZ250F and problems after washing it (not starting, bogging, cutting out). Is that all sorted...
There was a vital thread a while back about the 14 YZ250F and problems after washing it (not starting, bogging, cutting out). Is that all sorted for the 2017 or do you still need to be careful with a power washer?
Yeah I do remember reading that. Two of my friends have 2015 yz250f bikes and haven't had that issue so far. Fingers crossed it's fixed or just a totally random problem. I'll see what I can do today as far as looking at them. Funny thing is my wife told me just buy the bike if it makes you happy. Okay!! Lol
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2017 11:26pm
Let us know what u choose
Pics and of course a ride review

Post a reply to: 2017 250's

The Latest