2016 Ktm 125 or 2016 Yz 125

10/1/2015 4:30am
I have not ridden the new KTM. I'm sure it is a great machine. I went with the YZ125 because of the price. It is literally race-ready right off the dealership floor. I put race fuel in it, set the sag, rode it, turned the clickers to suit me - 2 in on shock rebound, 2 in on fork compression, and turned the high speed shock compression in about a quarter turn - been having a blast ever since. That bike is so fun! I did raise the forks 5 mm to get it to really zing through the corners, and wow that helped! Here's the twins!

Markopolo400
10/1/2015 6:19am
Have you ridden both?
Actually, yes I have. Granted, not the 2016 YZ125 but it has been the same for many years. I have actually owned and ridden many YZ125s...
Actually, yes I have. Granted, not the 2016 YZ125 but it has been the same for many years. I have actually owned and ridden many YZ125s, and I have ridden the 2016 KTM 150sx at 2 different demo days at 2 different tracks.
So, you've owned and ridden many YZ125's, but only ridden the new ktm for about 6-8 laps? Well, no wonder you're instantly comfy on the YZ125...
So, you've owned and ridden many YZ125's, but only ridden the new ktm for about 6-8 laps? Well, no wonder you're instantly comfy on the YZ125. The ktm won't be comfy right away for many people because of obvious reasons. What did you think of the 125sx/150sx?
Yes I have owned and ridden many YZ125s. But I guess what I left out is that for the last 2 years my bike has been a 2014 KTM 250SX, which I have dialed in and am extremely comfortable on. And the 1 KTM demo I did was a smaller one so I was able to to ride the 150SX for a longer duration.

The 125/150SXs are awesome bikes, I really enjoyed riding them. If you are on the fence about which to get, get the 150SX without a doubt. The power difference in the lower half of the powerband is crazy. The 125 struggles down low quite a bit, while the 150 just yanks out of turns.
10/1/2015 8:46am
You'll be on blue after the Ktm demo day. Lol. The cylinders are interchangeable on the Ktm 125 and 150. There are differences. Read the new...
You'll be on blue after the Ktm demo day. Lol.

The cylinders are interchangeable on the Ktm 125 and 150. There are differences. Read the new MXA mag. They did an awesome write up on it.
Did they do a write up on both? Or just the 150sx? And which mag? September or October? I looked through the preview of both Sep...
Did they do a write up on both? Or just the 150sx? And which mag? September or October? I looked through the preview of both Sep and Oct, but i didn't see anything about the 125sx/150sx.

You need July, August and October. I can't find my October! Think my brother must of snagged it. But the October shows the 125 and 150 (144) up against itself. And shows HP of 40.xx
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
10/1/2015 9:03am
If it's about money, then why recommend him to buy a nearly 10 year old bike for $6k+? When he could buy a decently clean 06+...
If it's about money, then why recommend him to buy a nearly 10 year old bike for $6k+? When he could buy a decently clean 06+ YZ125 for $1500-$2000, then put another $1500 into it to make it look new. He could even bolt the 2016 stuff right on..... He could cut his spending nearly in half and have the same bike....

Ohlins front and rear? Lol, come on man... That's not needed to on par with SSS suspension. A revalve front and rear should be good enough depending who you send it to. Should cost around $400-$600, but that's if it's needed for the buyer, some guys are fine with the forks right out the box.

IceMan446 wrote:
Where in my post did you read me saying for him to buy a brand new YZ??? And for the most part, the guys I see...
Where in my post did you read me saying for him to buy a brand new YZ???

And for the most part, the guys I see using Ohlins, buy the forks and the shock. Not a necessity but thats the norm around here.

And it takes a lot for a set of KTM forks to be on par with a stock set of Yamaha forks. Add in gold valves to the SSS forks and those forks are damn near as good as they get. You would be spending a lot and doing more than just a simple revalve on the KTM forks.

I get the KTMs are great bikes, and I also get the Yamaha's are as well, both have their strong suites and their weak areas. But your hard on for the Yamaha's is painfully obvious. Keep pedaling your nonsense to the folks that want to listen. As for me, I am calling bullshit on the fact that one bike is far superior to the other.

Steinke did damn near the same on the KTM as he did the Yamaha. Not at all surprised by that either.
I think you missed in Steinke's interviews how he stated "The KTM is completly STOCK aside from pipe and silencer." the YZ on the other hand was a fully built bike from a shop that loaned it to him.

you are right about his results being about the same. except the detail of how much modification one bike had vs the other

The Shop

DS20
10/1/2015 11:34am
Hey guys I'm moving up from my Yz 105 supermini this year and would like some pointers on whether I should go with the Yz or...
Hey guys I'm moving up from my Yz 105 supermini this year and would like some pointers on whether I should go with the Yz or Ktm 125z. I'm definitely getting the newest year model. I've read a lot of reviews but I need fellow Moto junkies to help me on this one. I really can't decide which one
I have a 2006 YZ125 and a 2015 150SX.
Spent an entire day on my buddies 2016 150SX
Rode them all back to back.
In my opinion the 2016 150 is head and shoulders above both.
Not sure what KTM did to the suspension but was shocked how good it was. Power was amazing. I thought it turned like a Honda.
Will be purchasing one soon.
Kawasaki572
10/1/2015 11:40am
You'll be on blue after the Ktm demo day. Lol. The cylinders are interchangeable on the Ktm 125 and 150. There are differences. Read the new...
You'll be on blue after the Ktm demo day. Lol.

The cylinders are interchangeable on the Ktm 125 and 150. There are differences. Read the new MXA mag. They did an awesome write up on it.
Did they do a write up on both? Or just the 150sx? And which mag? September or October? I looked through the preview of both Sep...
Did they do a write up on both? Or just the 150sx? And which mag? September or October? I looked through the preview of both Sep and Oct, but i didn't see anything about the 125sx/150sx.
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/10/01/106784/s1200_image.jpg[/img] You need July, August and October. I can't find my October! Think my brother must of snagged it. But the October shows the 125 and...

You need July, August and October. I can't find my October! Think my brother must of snagged it. But the October shows the 125 and 150 (144) up against itself. And shows HP of 40.xx
Thanks man! I'll buy Oct and have a look.
Kawasaki572
10/2/2015 12:06pm
Thanks. November isn't available yet, only October, September, August, and so on is available. Guess i have to wait.
ktm125
10/2/2015 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2015 12:35pm
my Nov issue arrived in the mail this week
Kawasaki572
10/2/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2015 1:01pm
I have the digital subscription, maybe that has something to do with it? You would think going digital would be the best option if you want to get the mags the quickest, but i guess not. Dry

This was in my receipt "Thanks for your order! International sub orders allow 8-10 weeks for first issue to arrive. Domestic sub orders allow 4-6 weeks. *Digital sub orders will arrive immediately.* All other products will ship within 72 hours. Your charge will appear on your statement as Hi-Torque Magazines."
10/22/2015 11:27am
I got to ride a 450, and I like the feel of the 4-stroke, honestly I'm shooting for the new Ktm 250f
bsharkey
10/22/2015 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2015 12:11pm
theres a reason the ktms haven't taken over on a national level.we will just leave it at that. I love the new ad husky has clamiing the new 125 makes 40hp .
bsharkey
10/22/2015 12:14pm
bsharkey wrote:
theres a reason the ktms haven't taken over on a national level.we will just leave it at that. I love the new ad husky has clamiing...
theres a reason the ktms haven't taken over on a national level.we will just leave it at that. I love the new ad husky has clamiing the new 125 makes 40hp .
Motofinne
10/22/2015 12:54pm
bsharkey wrote:
theres a reason the ktms haven't taken over on a national level.we will just leave it at that. I love the new ad husky has clamiing...
Take a look at this, KTM/Husqvara is dominating the biggest 125 series at the moment.

And 13 of 23 superminis at MEC was a KTM/Husqvarna.

They are very good bikes.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/22/2015 1:13pm
bsharkey wrote:
"Claiming?" It is....
BobPA
10/22/2015 1:34pm
bsharkey wrote:
What national level is that?

450sx
450mx
250sx
Damn close to 250Mx
GNCC
Endurocross
Hare and Hound
Super Enduro
bsharkey
10/22/2015 6:24pm
bsharkey wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Take a look at this, KTM/Husqvara is dominating the biggest 125 series at the moment. And 13 of 23 superminis at MEC was a KTM/Husqvarna. They...
Take a look at this, KTM/Husqvara is dominating the biggest 125 series at the moment.

im not saying one is bad or the other. ive had both.no problems with ether. I have not ridden a 16 ktm yet but we own a 15 yz right now. I know a few top am kids who told me what they did to the forks to fix them apprx $2200 to fix. plus some mods they cant run in the amateurs as well.
RCN4HIM
10/23/2015 5:56am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 6:25am
We got the 1st 15 SX125 in our state with help from our dealer that my son rides for for in Aug 2014. He was coming off a 31hp KTM Supermini, and although the bike looked great, we just could not get the suspension where my son was happy. The front forks, 4sc, after spending $$$ on them just beat my son to death when the track got rough... I told my son I was going to buy a Yamaha and he said no, as he was all KTM Orange and our dealer does not sell Yamahas. So I after weeks of contemplation, bought a 15 YZ 125 for myself and raced it myself in the vet classes. My son made fun of me and would barely ride it... After about 3 weeks of ownership we were out practicing and the bike was sitting on the stand and he comes in off his and jumps on mine and stays out for about 12 laps? He comes in, pulls off his helmet and says, your right Dad, this bikes suspension is sic! I told him wait to we set the sag for you (he's 135lbs, I'm 190), so we did and he absolutely never raced the KTM again, Sold the SX 125 (he put 34hrs on it, I bought a YZ250 Smile and we now have 45hrs on the YZ 125 with not one problem! (we blew forks seals on the KTM in 8 hrs and don't believe a word what Stenke said about his KTM he was provided) The YZ pulls better Bottom & Mid, The KTM pulled harder and longer on top (he did miss that). This winter our Supermini engine builder promises over 40hp still 125cc, 1,500 rpm more on top and stone cold reliable.... can't wait, and the best part is the money it will cost us to build the motor and purchase of bike is still less than what we had invested in the KTM? Suspension is King in moto especially in the last laps, 2nd moto when your hanging on for life trying to keep everybody behind you... From our experience, nothing touches the 15-16 YZ 125, suspension!
Canadad
10/23/2015 10:11am
If I were you I would buy a 2010 (or thereabouts) YZ125 with lots of bling, pull the motor and sent to James Saylor at JMS Performance. He will built you a reliable bored and stroked 150 that is off the charts. Send the suspension out to your tuner of choice, buy a 2015 "new look" airbox and plastics, put it all together and you will have an awesome motorcycle with no shortage of spares available. It will cost you less than the KTM (including dealing with suspension) and you will be very happy. It's exactly what I did and I do not regret it. Yes I am a Yamaha guy, but I also just bought a 2016 KTM250sxf so I am not anti KTM. If the choice is new bike vs new bike, its hard not to choose the KTM. Just my 2 cents.
Tom_Ryan
10/23/2015 10:26am
Canadad wrote:
If I were you I would buy a 2010 (or thereabouts) YZ125 with lots of bling, pull the motor and sent to James Saylor at JMS...
If I were you I would buy a 2010 (or thereabouts) YZ125 with lots of bling, pull the motor and sent to James Saylor at JMS Performance. He will built you a reliable bored and stroked 150 that is off the charts. Send the suspension out to your tuner of choice, buy a 2015 "new look" airbox and plastics, put it all together and you will have an awesome motorcycle with no shortage of spares available. It will cost you less than the KTM (including dealing with suspension) and you will be very happy. It's exactly what I did and I do not regret it. Yes I am a Yamaha guy, but I also just bought a 2016 KTM250sxf so I am not anti KTM. If the choice is new bike vs new bike, its hard not to choose the KTM. Just my 2 cents.
How do you like the Ktm compared to the Yamaha I'm thinking about switching also
mx621
10/23/2015 10:41am
rode a 16 125sx lil over a month ago... bike was fantasic! period. last yz 125 I rode was a in 2009, it was a 2008 yz144.. the power of the ktm was surprising. very meaty/easy to stay on the pipe. susp felt pretty good. if I were going for brand new... 125sx all the way.. if going yz, like other said save a couple grand and buy a lil older and make what u want.
10/23/2015 11:21am
bsharkey wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Take a look at this, KTM/Husqvara is dominating the biggest 125 series at the moment. And 13 of 23 superminis at MEC was a KTM/Husqvarna. They...

That's because they have a budget to hire young talented riders.... The difference is that yamaha isn't really concentrating on mx that much.
Canadad
10/23/2015 1:23pm
Canadad wrote:
If I were you I would buy a 2010 (or thereabouts) YZ125 with lots of bling, pull the motor and sent to James Saylor at JMS...
Tom_Ryan wrote:
How do you like the Ktm compared to the Yamaha I'm thinking about switching also
My daughter races them not me but she just had another surgery on a broken arm that is not healing so she has not even ridden the KTM. We decided to give the 4 stroke a try and felt the electric start was a must for her. Would have preferred a blue bike but we will see how she goes. We had the suspension done by Powerband and apparently some of the issues discussed on this forum are not an issue for lighter riders so no need for the CV forks. Bike is still sitting in the garage like new so cannot give you any feedback just yet.

PS I still have the YZ150 should she prefer the 2 smoke!
romain524
10/23/2015 2:02pm
bsharkey wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

bsharkey wrote:
im not saying one is bad or the other. ive had both.no problems with ether. I have not ridden a 16 ktm yet but we own...
im not saying one is bad or the other. ive had both.no problems with ether. I have not ridden a 16 ktm yet but we own a 15 yz right now. I know a few top am kids who told me what they did to the forks to fix them apprx $2200 to fix. plus some mods they cant run in the amateurs as well.
Fortunately there are the "Team MJC" (Boisrame and Bourdon) of Loic Le foll and "Dragon'tek/Kemea" (Renaux) to put the YZ125 "on top" of the EMX125!
In France for the French junior 125 or even in our 125 regional championship unlimited age, a lot of peoples ride a YZ125, I think there are more Yamaha than Ktm, but in all the other countries it's the opposite now...
zehn
10/23/2015 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 2:34pm
RCN4HIM wrote:
We got the 1st 15 SX125 in our state with help from our dealer that my son rides for for in Aug 2014. He was coming...
We got the 1st 15 SX125 in our state with help from our dealer that my son rides for for in Aug 2014. He was coming off a 31hp KTM Supermini, and although the bike looked great, we just could not get the suspension where my son was happy. The front forks, 4sc, after spending $$$ on them just beat my son to death when the track got rough... I told my son I was going to buy a Yamaha and he said no, as he was all KTM Orange and our dealer does not sell Yamahas. So I after weeks of contemplation, bought a 15 YZ 125 for myself and raced it myself in the vet classes. My son made fun of me and would barely ride it... After about 3 weeks of ownership we were out practicing and the bike was sitting on the stand and he comes in off his and jumps on mine and stays out for about 12 laps? He comes in, pulls off his helmet and says, your right Dad, this bikes suspension is sic! I told him wait to we set the sag for you (he's 135lbs, I'm 190), so we did and he absolutely never raced the KTM again, Sold the SX 125 (he put 34hrs on it, I bought a YZ250 Smile and we now have 45hrs on the YZ 125 with not one problem! (we blew forks seals on the KTM in 8 hrs and don't believe a word what Stenke said about his KTM he was provided) The YZ pulls better Bottom & Mid, The KTM pulled harder and longer on top (he did miss that). This winter our Supermini engine builder promises over 40hp still 125cc, 1,500 rpm more on top and stone cold reliable.... can't wait, and the best part is the money it will cost us to build the motor and purchase of bike is still less than what we had invested in the KTM? Suspension is King in moto especially in the last laps, 2nd moto when your hanging on for life trying to keep everybody behind you... From our experience, nothing touches the 15-16 YZ 125, suspension!
Cool story.

I've always been of the opinion that great suspension is more important to me than having the strongest motor, which is why I own a couple Yamaha smokers. Then again, I'm not nearly on the level that some posters here are in terms of speed.
stone881
10/23/2015 3:15pm
Hey guys I'm moving up from my Yz 105 supermini this year and would like some pointers on whether I should go with the Yz or...
Hey guys I'm moving up from my Yz 105 supermini this year and would like some pointers on whether I should go with the Yz or Ktm 125z. I'm definitely getting the newest year model. I've read a lot of reviews but I need fellow Moto junkies to help me on this one. I really can't decide which one
Just rode 2016 KTM's, but only 250/350f. I rode YZ 250's for years and now have an SX 250.

In my opinion with the new AER forks to come, its a no brainer. Get the KTM.

Post a reply to: 2016 Ktm 125 or 2016 Yz 125

The Latest