2016 KX450 Anybody got one?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/2/2015 7:43am
Magic Man wrote:
I have about 3 hours on my 2016 KX450 and love it. I was skeptical of the air fork coming off of spring forks, but am...
I have about 3 hours on my 2016 KX450 and love it. I was skeptical of the air fork coming off of spring forks, but am no more. The adjustability is insane, all it takes is a little patience and time finding what feels good. I just came off a 2015 Husqvarna FC 350 with Factory Connection suspension and before that a 2014 Yz 450 with a Race Tech set up on it. I feel the stock kawii Showa stuff is better then my Husky FC tuned bike and as good as my YZ with Race Tech. I can only imagine with a little help from one of the suspension shops what this bike could feel like. This bike corners great and is just super comfortable for me and the motor is super easy to ride. All I've done to it so far is put Renthal 971 Twin Walls and a 51 tooth sprocket and new chain on it. I'm 5'10 165lbs and race 30A and run at the front locally and have made it to Lorettas a few times just to give a bit of my riding history. I've ridden a lot of bikes and have to say this one is beginning to rank near the top without any real goodies added to it.
We just shot a bike review with Vince Fresie yesterday for Vital and his comments were very simaler to yours! I believe the video will be posted some time today...

Magic Man
9/2/2015 8:08am
Magic Man wrote:
I have about 3 hours on my 2016 KX450 and love it. I was skeptical of the air fork coming off of spring forks, but am...
I have about 3 hours on my 2016 KX450 and love it. I was skeptical of the air fork coming off of spring forks, but am no more. The adjustability is insane, all it takes is a little patience and time finding what feels good. I just came off a 2015 Husqvarna FC 350 with Factory Connection suspension and before that a 2014 Yz 450 with a Race Tech set up on it. I feel the stock kawii Showa stuff is better then my Husky FC tuned bike and as good as my YZ with Race Tech. I can only imagine with a little help from one of the suspension shops what this bike could feel like. This bike corners great and is just super comfortable for me and the motor is super easy to ride. All I've done to it so far is put Renthal 971 Twin Walls and a 51 tooth sprocket and new chain on it. I'm 5'10 165lbs and race 30A and run at the front locally and have made it to Lorettas a few times just to give a bit of my riding history. I've ridden a lot of bikes and have to say this one is beginning to rank near the top without any real goodies added to it.
mx_563 wrote:
How's the powerband? I've heard it signs off a bit early. Have you played with the couplers?

Thanks for the insight.
I broke it in with the green coupler and then switched to the white "aggressive" coupler after an hour. I don't feel that it signs off too much more then any other 450 that I've been on with the exception of my 2014 YZ 450. I feel the motor is fairly linear actually and it's a bit deceiving how fast it is at first. Again, I'm pretty excited about it right now and can't wait to piss away some money on it after it being so good already,It's like a bad habit I can't break.
9/2/2015 8:23am
From MXA online today:

IN A WORD: 2016 MODEL IMPRESSIONS

Below is a brief synopsis of what we would tell our buddies about the line-up of 2016 450 four-strokes. Of course you’ll need to read the reviews in their entirety, which you can find in the latest issues of MXA.

2016 Kawasaki KX450F:

If you’re a Kawasaki rider then it’s a much better bike than the previous generation. The ergonomics are slimmer and the KX450F feels more agile than in the past. We’ve had some problems with the engine backfiring on deceleration, which hasn’t been fixed yet with mapping. The forks are considerably better than the 2016 Suzuki RM-Z450 Showa SFF TAC forks. The engine isn’t as explosive off the bottom, but it transitions smoothly into the midrange. We noted that the 2016 KX450F has more focus on the front end, meaning that it no longer feels like it needs to be steered with the throttle.
MXD
9/3/2015 11:56am
Magic Man wrote:
We just shot a bike review with Vince Fresie yesterday for Vital and his comments were very simaler to yours! I believe the video will be...
We just shot a bike review with Vince Fresie yesterday for Vital and his comments were very simaler to yours! I believe the video will be posted some time today...

Any idea when this is going to be posted?

The Shop

9/3/2015 6:21pm
My wish list as someone who doesn't have one.

1. stock exhaust looks horrible.
2. offer silver wheels. some of us just can't get into the black wheels look.
RF219
9/3/2015 7:17pm
MXD did you get a new bike yet?
mx_563
9/3/2015 8:08pm
I finally made it down to my dealer to have a look. I agree with nascarnate, the exhaust is hideous. I don't mind black rims. The valve stem and rim lock on the front wheel are 4 spokes apart so it's Tubliss ready (no drilling). Felt slim, for sure. I forgot what a new seat felt like (like a piece of wood). I'm so used to my blown out couch cushion on the 08' CRF! Ha!

I'm still on the fence about getting something new though. I'm old enough to remember premier class bikes (250 at the time) going for under $3k. Nine grand is hard to wrap my head around. I think I paid about $5700 OTD for my 08' CRF back in late 08' and I swore that was as much as I was going to spend on a new bike. I don't know man. Might have to break my promise. The kawi is quite the temptress.
MXD
9/4/2015 5:18am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 5:23am
RF219 wrote:
I'm just waiting on the response from Team Green which I was told will happen by today (it's been almost 2 weeks since the paperwork was sent in). If it does, there is a 16 KX on the dealer floor with a sold tag on it for me to go pick up. If it doesn't, I'll hold out and wait for the 16 KTM450 to arrive in a couple more weeks (It's the same dealer and I already have money in-house). For basically the same money (KTM $8090, KX $8000), I figured the KTM was slightly better but with the $1500 offered through Team Green, it's a no brainer. Fingers crossed for an approval.

IIRC, you were tossed up like me between the KX and KTM. Did you go to the KTM ride day? I saw somewhere that you mentioned that you got the KX so I assume you didn't gel with the KTM.
RF219
9/4/2015 6:06am
RF219 wrote:
MXD wrote:
I'm just waiting on the response from Team Green which I was told will happen by today (it's been almost 2 weeks since the paperwork was...
I'm just waiting on the response from Team Green which I was told will happen by today (it's been almost 2 weeks since the paperwork was sent in). If it does, there is a 16 KX on the dealer floor with a sold tag on it for me to go pick up. If it doesn't, I'll hold out and wait for the 16 KTM450 to arrive in a couple more weeks (It's the same dealer and I already have money in-house). For basically the same money (KTM $8090, KX $8000), I figured the KTM was slightly better but with the $1500 offered through Team Green, it's a no brainer. Fingers crossed for an approval.

IIRC, you were tossed up like me between the KX and KTM. Did you go to the KTM ride day? I saw somewhere that you mentioned that you got the KX so I assume you didn't gel with the KTM.
I liked the KTM then I got on a KX and it just felt right. I chose the kx partly because I didnt want to have to sink a $1000 in a set of 4cs forks when next year they get a better set of forks. The forks on the KX are not perfect either but I think Enzo or FC could fix them with their standard revalve.
9/4/2015 11:04am
I was considering the KTM as well but dealer allocation is so low in my area that prices are at full pop plus all fee's. Dealer's won't budge and they have buyers willing to pay it. No way I was paying 2K more for a KTM!
mx_563
9/4/2015 5:11pm
This is real time. Closing the deal now.

mxb2
9/4/2015 5:18pm
mx_563 wrote:
This is real time. Closing the deal now.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/04/104010/s1200_IMG_20150904_170220040.jpg[/img]
This is real time. Closing the deal now.

nice, congrats, make you insure it.
keith101
9/4/2015 5:58pm
RF219 wrote:
MXD wrote:
I'm just waiting on the response from Team Green which I was told will happen by today (it's been almost 2 weeks since the paperwork was...

RF219 wrote:
I liked the KTM then I got on a KX and it just felt right. I chose the kx partly because I didnt want to have...
I liked the KTM then I got on a KX and it just felt right. I chose the kx partly because I didnt want to have to sink a $1000 in a set of 4cs forks when next year they get a better set of forks. The forks on the KX are not perfect either but I think Enzo or FC could fix them with their standard revalve.
The KX forks are pretty darn good though to be honest.
MXD
9/4/2015 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 6:29pm
It's official for me too. Got the approval back for the Team Green rider support deal and I'm picking the bike up in the morning. I was at $8000 OTD minus the additional $1500 from Team Green. Apparently they give it to you on a contingency debit card but my dealer agreed to hold the $1500 till the card arrived then bang it off the card and put it towards the bike so I ended up at $6500 OTD. No way that can be beat, I'm so pumped and grateful.

For anyone who questions the value of buying bikes and parts at your local dealership and building a relationship, this is why you should. I get a great deal with my local dealer and I funnel as much business as I can their way. Because of that relationship, they went above and beyond to help make this happen. None of this would have happened if I spent all my money online trying to save on tax or save a few bucks here and there.
RF219
9/4/2015 6:50pm
Thats a great deal congrats.
dmm698
9/4/2015 8:23pm
MXD wrote:
It's official for me too. Got the approval back for the Team Green rider support deal and I'm picking the bike up in the morning. I...
It's official for me too. Got the approval back for the Team Green rider support deal and I'm picking the bike up in the morning. I was at $8000 OTD minus the additional $1500 from Team Green. Apparently they give it to you on a contingency debit card but my dealer agreed to hold the $1500 till the card arrived then bang it off the card and put it towards the bike so I ended up at $6500 OTD. No way that can be beat, I'm so pumped and grateful.

For anyone who questions the value of buying bikes and parts at your local dealership and building a relationship, this is why you should. I get a great deal with my local dealer and I funnel as much business as I can their way. Because of that relationship, they went above and beyond to help make this happen. None of this would have happened if I spent all my money online trying to save on tax or save a few bucks here and there.
MXD, what was involved with the team green support program? Hadnt heard about it. Trying to decide between buying one now or waiting until next spring when the rebates hit. Which dealer was this?
keith101
9/4/2015 8:30pm
MXD wrote:
It's official for me too. Got the approval back for the Team Green rider support deal and I'm picking the bike up in the morning. I...

That's a sweet bike I can assure you. Get the MXA baseline specs for the suspension set and don't play with the air...work the clickers if you need to, but the forks are good.

Let us know what you think after your maiden voyage mate.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
9/5/2015 3:08am
It's funny the pro says it's really fast totally stock and you can go compete against built bikes with it as is. Yet average joe who bought it says it seems soft in power lol.

I think that just shows you how good a job kawasaki has done on the powerband. People mistake smooth for being slow when it's just a good build of power that's deceptively fast.
yzkrazy219
9/5/2015 4:14am
I've had mine for two weeks now and have put 3.3 hours on it so far. I spent last Saturday with my suspension guy getting the stock suspension dialed in so I could race it on Sunday. This stock suspension is extremely good. We got it dialed to where I believe it's actually better than the last bike that he had valved for me. He actually spun a few laps on it and said that it was the best stock suspension he had ridden and it wouldn't take much tweaking to get it perfect. The bike feels very light and nimble on the track. The furthest inside line is absolutely no problem on this bike. The motor is a rocket ship. It comes on smooth and has a very strong mid and top. The bike is deceiving on how fast it is because of its smooth useable power.
yzkrazy219
9/5/2015 4:27am
Everyone has a different preference on suspension settings but here's the settings we came up with. Just a little background, I'm 26, 155lbs and race 450A and 25+ vet expert.
Forks:
Inner chamber: 170psi
Outer chamber: 0
Balance chamber: 160psi
Compression: 13 rebound: 12
(Added 20cc of oil to dampening side to help with bottoming resistance)

Shock:
4.9 rear spring
105 race sag
Compression: 12 rebound: 13
We tested several rear springs and sag numbers. This bike really likes a softer rear spring. I would normally run a 5.1 or 5.2. 105 was all around the best sag number we tested.
MXD
9/5/2015 5:08am
dmm698 wrote:
MXD, what was involved with the team green support program? Hadnt heard about it. Trying to decide between buying one now or waiting until next spring...
MXD, what was involved with the team green support program? Hadnt heard about it. Trying to decide between buying one now or waiting until next spring when the rebates hit. Which dealer was this?
I'm no expert on the program so someone here probably knows more about the details than I do but from what I can tell, it's dealer driven. First, the dealer has to be a "Team Green" level dealer. If they are, they get a certain number of Team Green allocations based on the size of their order with Kawasaki. Then an application has to be filled out by both you and the dealer and sent in with a resume for approval which for me took about 2 weeks once submitted. I get the impression that the approval is more a formality to make sure the dealer isn't sending in fake applications just to get the $1500, keep it and make more money. Most dealers probably wouldn't do it but I'm sure some would.

Bottom line, establish a great relationship with your local dealer and be loyal. It always pays off.
djallen8
9/5/2015 8:13am
Carlos Z wrote:
Not much news or reviews about that bike but I hear they are at the dealers. Have one?
Mountain motorsports in lawrenceville has one.
9/5/2015 8:48am
Fresie doesn't think the 16 steers with the front...good thing he didn't ride the previous models. McGrath loves the new bike because it's a front end steer'er and that's his style. Current and former Honda riders w/different opinions.
MXD
9/5/2015 11:14am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 11:17am
I just got it home and pulled it into my workshop area to strip and grease it tonight. The weight difference is noticeable even loading and unloading it in the truck. The first thing I did was toss it on the scale. Kawi didn't lie. It came it at exactly 229.0 with no fuel. I have a 2007 RM 250 smoker that is 236.5 fueled with rad braces and my RMZ 450 was 254.5 fueled with rad braces and skid plate. The weight savings from a full Ti system should drop the fueld up weight to roughly 235 which would be just below my smoker. I can't wait to ride it.

ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/5/2015 11:16am
RiverockMX wrote:
Fresie doesn't think the 16 steers with the front...good thing he didn't ride the previous models. McGrath loves the new bike because it's a front end...
Fresie doesn't think the 16 steers with the front...good thing he didn't ride the previous models. McGrath loves the new bike because it's a front end steer'er and that's his style. Current and former Honda riders w/different opinions.
Vince last rode the Kawasaki in 2012.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
9/5/2015 11:29am
MXD wrote:
I just got it home and pulled it into my workshop area to strip and grease it tonight. The weight difference is noticeable even loading and...
I just got it home and pulled it into my workshop area to strip and grease it tonight. The weight difference is noticeable even loading and unloading it in the truck. The first thing I did was toss it on the scale. Kawi didn't lie. It came it at exactly 229.0 with no fuel. I have a 2007 RM 250 smoker that is 236.5 fueled with rad braces and my RMZ 450 was 254.5 fueled with rad braces and skid plate. The weight savings from a full Ti system should drop the fueld up weight to roughly 235 which would be just below my smoker. I can't wait to ride it.

Looking good, definitely knocked a chuck of weight off it. Have to give us your opinion when you spin few laps on it
MXD
9/5/2015 11:32am
mx_phreek wrote:
Looking good, definitely knocked a chuck of weight off it. Have to give us your opinion when you spin few laps on it
Will do. I'll probably strip and grease it tonight and try to ride Monday or Tuesday. I'll give you guys a good Vet B opinion.
Laughing
Magic Man
9/5/2015 11:54am
yzkrazy219 wrote:
I've had mine for two weeks now and have put 3.3 hours on it so far. I spent last Saturday with my suspension guy getting the...
I've had mine for two weeks now and have put 3.3 hours on it so far. I spent last Saturday with my suspension guy getting the stock suspension dialed in so I could race it on Sunday. This stock suspension is extremely good. We got it dialed to where I believe it's actually better than the last bike that he had valved for me. He actually spun a few laps on it and said that it was the best stock suspension he had ridden and it wouldn't take much tweaking to get it perfect. The bike feels very light and nimble on the track. The furthest inside line is absolutely no problem on this bike. The motor is a rocket ship. It comes on smooth and has a very strong mid and top. The bike is deceiving on how fast it is because of its smooth useable power.
My feelings and yours about the 2016 Kawi are pretty much the same, the more I ride it, the more I love it. Bike just works.

Post a reply to: 2016 KX450 Anybody got one?

The Latest