2015 vrs 2016 yz450f

gpracer36
9/30/2015 10:33am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2015 10:02am
thinking of going blue. I am on a Honda now but getting ready to make a move. Would like a new KTM but no way with the current forks. Couple guys I respect speak highly of the YZ. So, two questions,

is the 16 any better than a 15? I know they did make changes but at the end of the day, is it worth the extra coin?

next, do they really have turning issues I read about in MXA?

sorry, one more. Is a rear link the trick on these?

thanks
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/30/2015 12:05pm
I have a 14 and absolutely love it! Some people do have issues with the turning and the link helps some. For me I put my bar mounts into third position(front hole and spun backwards) as well as put tall bars on(I'm 6'2). This allowed me to get forward more when turning and that did the trick for me. I also run 100mm of sag. I think either year will be great for you.

As far as 15 vs 16, I've read a few things about the 16 went to 25mm offset clamps and everyone seems to recommend going back to the 22mm offset. As far as motor I think they will be pretty damn close but the 16 does come with launch control. Maybe see if Yamaha is having a ride day near you so you can ride the 16 and go from there. Hope this helps a little.
cwtoyota
9/30/2015 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2015 1:03pm
I haven't been on a 15 or 16... but they are similar and allegedly better than my 14...

I bought my 2014 around the middle of August this year. These bikes are delivered with the fork tubes flush and some wacky settings on the suspension. It was the worst handling bike I can ever remember riding... I mean, this thing handles like a Rokon or some other kind of farm implement.

1) I knew the linkage was popular and recommended, so I modified a 2009 link to test with. The stock link was 142mm and I went with 143.5mm like the PC links and other shops recommend. The link was a massive improvement!

2) I also dropped the front end by raising the fork tubes 5mm in the clamps (the groove in the tube is 5mm).

3) I played around with fork height and sag but ultimately came back to 5mm on the forks and 102mm on the sag.

4) I rode the bike at Washougal and a couple of other local tracks and found some drastically improved settings for the clickers. I tried the MXA setting, but didn't like it as much as where I'm at now.

Not all of that applies to the 16 since the shock spring is softer and the clamp offset has been changed, but I am starting to feel confident on this bike now.

Something to keep in mind with this YZ450F is that it's extremely sensitive to small adjustments. If you know how to dial in a bike and you know what you're looking for, that's a good thing.

At first, I thought the bike might need the 25mm clamp offset, but then I started playing with the high speed damping adjuster a bit more. Get the bike into the sweet spot on sag and then dial it in with the high speed. That was the key for me getting rid of the weird feeling in turns. I have the stock 22mm clamps on this '14 and it feels fine now.

For sure the horsepower and crazy torque this bike makes has an effect on the chassis. I really think a Rekluse clutch would help make this bike enter corners a bit better. Coming from two-smokes, I find myself slipping the clutch and revving the bike coming into my turns sometimes.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs, age 35, riding the 30+A class.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/30/2015 1:08pm
cwtoyota wrote:
I haven't been on a 15 or 16... but they are similar and allegedly better than my 14... I bought my 2014 around the middle of...
I haven't been on a 15 or 16... but they are similar and allegedly better than my 14...

I bought my 2014 around the middle of August this year. These bikes are delivered with the fork tubes flush and some wacky settings on the suspension. It was the worst handling bike I can ever remember riding... I mean, this thing handles like a Rokon or some other kind of farm implement.

1) I knew the linkage was popular and recommended, so I modified a 2009 link to test with. The stock link was 142mm and I went with 143.5mm like the PC links and other shops recommend. The link was a massive improvement!

2) I also dropped the front end by raising the fork tubes 5mm in the clamps (the groove in the tube is 5mm).

3) I played around with fork height and sag but ultimately came back to 5mm on the forks and 102mm on the sag.

4) I rode the bike at Washougal and a couple of other local tracks and found some drastically improved settings for the clickers. I tried the MXA setting, but didn't like it as much as where I'm at now.

Not all of that applies to the 16 since the shock spring is softer and the clamp offset has been changed, but I am starting to feel confident on this bike now.

Something to keep in mind with this YZ450F is that it's extremely sensitive to small adjustments. If you know how to dial in a bike and you know what you're looking for, that's a good thing.

At first, I thought the bike might need the 25mm clamp offset, but then I started playing with the high speed damping adjuster a bit more. Get the bike into the sweet spot on sag and then dial it in with the high speed. That was the key for me getting rid of the weird feeling in turns. I have the stock 22mm clamps on this '14 and it feels fine now.

For sure the horsepower and crazy torque this bike makes has an effect on the chassis. I really think a Rekluse clutch would help make this bike enter corners a bit better. Coming from two-smokes, I find myself slipping the clutch and revving the bike coming into my turns sometimes.

I'm 5'9", 160lbs, age 35, riding the 30+A class.

I was wondering why you said the bike didn't handle well and then I saw your height and weight lol.

Mine was great straight out of the box with the forks at 9 clicks top and bottom and whatever the stock shock settings are. Possibly 9 and 9 also? Im 195 and 6'2 and it handled great for me. Id have to say the stock settings are geared more for bigger riders. But man aren't these things damn fast??
cwtoyota
9/30/2015 1:33pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I was wondering why you said the bike didn't handle well and then I saw your height and weight lol. Mine was great straight out of...
I was wondering why you said the bike didn't handle well and then I saw your height and weight lol.

Mine was great straight out of the box with the forks at 9 clicks top and bottom and whatever the stock shock settings are. Possibly 9 and 9 also? Im 195 and 6'2 and it handled great for me. Id have to say the stock settings are geared more for bigger riders. But man aren't these things damn fast??
Yeah, I'm not a big heavy guy and tend to move around a lot on a bike. With the stock setting, the bike was unstable down the straights with the rear end hopping all over the track. Then, when I moved forward coming into turns and leaned it over, it would just plow straight. It was absolutely un-rideable for me.

Fast? Yeah, the power this thing makes is just ridiculous from the bottom end torque all the way up. It makes my buddy's Kawi 450 feel like a 250F.

I bought the GYTR power tuner and uploaded the Travis Preston map. On average, it was worth almost 2 seconds a lap at one local track. It smoothed out the delivery at the crack of the throttle and seems to rev out even better than it did stock. I have a PC muffler with the stock head-pipe.

I'm pretty sure the 15 and 16 come with the improved mapping as the stock setting.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/30/2015 1:39pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I was wondering why you said the bike didn't handle well and then I saw your height and weight lol. Mine was great straight out of...

cwtoyota wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a big heavy guy and tend to move around a lot on a bike. With the stock setting, the bike was unstable down...
Yeah, I'm not a big heavy guy and tend to move around a lot on a bike. With the stock setting, the bike was unstable down the straights with the rear end hopping all over the track. Then, when I moved forward coming into turns and leaned it over, it would just plow straight. It was absolutely un-rideable for me.

Fast? Yeah, the power this thing makes is just ridiculous from the bottom end torque all the way up. It makes my buddy's Kawi 450 feel like a 250F.

I bought the GYTR power tuner and uploaded the Travis Preston map. On average, it was worth almost 2 seconds a lap at one local track. It smoothed out the delivery at the crack of the throttle and seems to rev out even better than it did stock. I have a PC muffler with the stock head-pipe.

I'm pretty sure the 15 and 16 come with the improved mapping as the stock setting.
I thought about buying the tuner until I put my fmf full system on. At that point is felt absolutely perfect for me so I didn't feel the need for it.

I loved all my kawis I had before I bought my yz, but they just don't compare anymore. I haven't finished worse than 3rd since I bought the Yamaha Cool
gpracer36
10/1/2015 10:02am
thanks guys. Wondering if anyone with a 2016 is swapping the 25mm clamps back to last year?

Post a reply to: 2015 vrs 2016 yz450f

The Latest