2015 factory edition 450

B-EVANS
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2015 4:33pm
First ride impressions are starting to show up on websites. Transworld, Dirt Bike, MXA(we know, didn't tell anything about riding it). Sounds impressive. Anybody seen them in person riding it? Any thoughts?
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/10/2015 1:28pm
B-EVANS wrote:
First ride impressions are starting to show up on websites. Transworld, Dirt Bike, MXA(we know, didn't tell anything about riding it). Sounds impressive. Anybody seen them...
First ride impressions are starting to show up on websites. Transworld, Dirt Bike, MXA(we know, didn't tell anything about riding it). Sounds impressive. Anybody seen them in person riding it? Any thoughts?
They aren't being shipped to the dealers yet, as far as I'm aware. We'll be testing ours out on Thursday at Pala.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
2/10/2015 1:33pm
B-EVANS wrote:
First ride impressions are starting to show up on websites. Transworld, Dirt Bike, MXA(we know, didn't tell anything about riding it). Sounds impressive. Anybody seen them...
Links? I only found MXA's story from last week.
B-EVANS
2/10/2015 1:36pm
Thanks. I'm interested in how it feels compared to the 15. Hope you can put a lot of initial comparison in your write up.
B-EVANS
2/10/2015 1:38pm
B-EVANS wrote:
Myke wrote:
Links? I only found MXA's story from last week.
I don't know how to do links but saw a video on transworld and a written article on dirtbike magazine websites today

The Shop

KTMShane699
2/10/2015 1:49pm
The bikes are NOT available at dealers yet. We are waiting for them to ship out in the next couple of weeks. Supposedly they're coming in two shipments if a dealer was lucky enough to get two of them. Mine is coming in the second shipment unless we happen to get two in the first...At least I know we are getting the second bike. Can't wait to ride it.

Shane
Skippie
2/10/2015 1:58pm
Good look getting a hold of one now. Last I heard just about everyone in the US is either paid for or has a deposit on it.
KTMShane699
2/10/2015 2:04pm
Skippie wrote:
Good look getting a hold of one now. Last I heard just about everyone in the US is either paid for or has a deposit on...
Good look getting a hold of one now. Last I heard just about everyone in the US is either paid for or has a deposit on it.
That's also a true statement pretty much. The best chance of getting one now is to hope someone backs out of the deal for some reason. It'll happen, but don't be surprised if dealers have a backup plan or someone on a waiting list.

The shop I work for is getting two. The first is under deposit and the deal is rock solid. The second is nearly paid for already and will be paid in full in the next few weeks.

Shane
B-EVANS
2/10/2015 2:15pm
I've had deposit down on first one local shop gets since they announced them. Shop says maybe March but hoping for this month. Looking for information to calm my impatience
Skippie
2/10/2015 2:20pm
B-EVANS wrote:
I've had deposit down on first one local shop gets since they announced them. Shop says maybe March but hoping for this month. Looking for information...
I've had deposit down on first one local shop gets since they announced them. Shop says maybe March but hoping for this month. Looking for information to calm my impatience
I have a guy who's in the same boat as you and he just heard it may end up being May instead of March.
KTMShane699
2/10/2015 2:24pm
Supposedly the second shipment is coming in May. I'm hoping that it doesn't take that long to make it happen...but who knows at this point?

KTM is good at "under promising and over delivering."

Shane
RbR
2/10/2015 3:05pm
The hype for these FE machines is impressive, and as a KTM rider and fan, I'm happy to see it. What I don't understand is why the Japanese mfrs haven't launched similar initiatives.
2/10/2015 3:14pm
RbR wrote:
The hype for these FE machines is impressive, and as a KTM rider and fan, I'm happy to see it. What I don't understand is why...
The hype for these FE machines is impressive, and as a KTM rider and fan, I'm happy to see it. What I don't understand is why the Japanese mfrs haven't launched similar initiatives.
Was thinking the same thing... Couldn't hurt, that is for sure!
ChrisB10
2/10/2015 3:38pm
Loyal Yamaha rider but I would make the switch for this bike. 220lbs for a 450 sounds so nice Smile
JBernard_401
2/10/2015 4:33pm
dont know how true it is, but ive seen people say its a lot easier for KTM to make changes every single year like they are and release the FE bikes because the company is so much smaller than KHI, HRC, ect.
make sense, the japanese bikes R&D is geared up to produce more bikes and have less room to make constant tweaks like KTM is doing.
and man is it making them look bad.
AS64
Fantasy
2156th
2/10/2015 5:25pm
RbR wrote:
The hype for these FE machines is impressive, and as a KTM rider and fan, I'm happy to see it. What I don't understand is why...
Not a KTM rider (yet) but I agree.
Brent
2/10/2015 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 7:22pm
RbR wrote:
Because they are still obsessed with the thought that the public is still falling for the old dual muffler and 40 year old air fork trick...

Japanese are starting to look complacent and behind the times, especially Suzuki. I think they may notice when the 2016 KTM regular edition comes out though...
Brent
2/10/2015 7:24pm
If KTM takes the Supercross title this year that will shake up Japan a little I think.
kiwifan
2/10/2015 8:20pm
dont know how true it is, but ive seen people say its a lot easier for KTM to make changes every single year like they are...
dont know how true it is, but ive seen people say its a lot easier for KTM to make changes every single year like they are and release the FE bikes because the company is so much smaller than KHI, HRC, ect.
make sense, the japanese bikes R&D is geared up to produce more bikes and have less room to make constant tweaks like KTM is doing.
and man is it making them look bad.
it makes non-KTM companies look bad that they sell more than KTM do????

by they way KHI, HRC, etc do not make bikes.. Honda, Kawasaki, etc do.....they only produce factory race components, run race teams, etc.
urbanlift707
2/10/2015 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 9:33pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Loyal Yamaha rider but I would make the switch for this bike. 220lbs for a 450 sounds so nice Smile
+1
No way that thing weighs 220. Ktm's listed weight is way off. The 2015 is listed at 236. Here is a photo from a dirt rider shootout, presumably an unbiased weighing. The factory one is supposed to be 10 pounds lighter so going off this it should be around 240.

Skippie
2/10/2015 9:34pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
+1
No way that thing weighs 220. Ktm's listed weight is way off. The 2015 is listed at 236. Here is a photo from a dirt rider...
No way that thing weighs 220. Ktm's listed weight is way off. The 2015 is listed at 236. Here is a photo from a dirt rider shootout, presumably an unbiased weighing. The factory one is supposed to be 10 pounds lighter so going off this it should be around 240.

Hey genius, factory weights are dry weight, as in empty tank. Those are weights with a full tank. Also considering the FE is a completely different bike as the regular '15 it's not out of this world to assume that it will be a lot lighter.
Crush
2/10/2015 9:34pm
Why would you put the weight with the tank full?
BobPA
2/10/2015 9:48pm
Crush wrote:
Why would you put the weight with the tank full?
Ready to ride weight I would assume.
Crush
2/10/2015 9:50pm
BobPA wrote:
Ready to ride weight I would assume.
Yeah I guess, just not been convention and I'm going to guess there are some pretty discernible differences between fuel tank sizes on some of the bikes...
JBernard_401
2/10/2015 9:54pm
kiwifan wrote:
it makes non-KTM companies look bad that they sell more than KTM do???? by they way KHI, HRC, etc do not make bikes.. Honda, Kawasaki, etc...
it makes non-KTM companies look bad that they sell more than KTM do????

by they way KHI, HRC, etc do not make bikes.. Honda, Kawasaki, etc do.....they only produce factory race components, run race teams, etc.
it makes them look bad that ktm is selling bikes purely based on the fact that they are taking the response from the users every single year and usually making pretty drastic changes, every year being better than the last.
the big 4, not so much. i bet thats why you see a lot of people buying previous years bikes for cheap from the dealer. i'm not going to pay 1500$ more from a 14' to a 15' for some graphics, and anodized green pieces.
urbanlift707
2/10/2015 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 10:19pm
Skippie wrote:
Hey genius, factory weights are dry weight, as in empty tank. Those are weights with a full tank. Also considering the FE is a completely different...
Hey genius, factory weights are dry weight, as in empty tank. Those are weights with a full tank. Also considering the FE is a completely different bike as the regular '15 it's not out of this world to assume that it will be a lot lighter.
It's not 2001 anymore all the manufactures except KTM's listed weights are within a pound or two of actual riding weight, fluids and all. Example 2015 kx450 claimed weight is 247, pretty much exactly what it weighed. KTM's website list their 450 at 105.5 Kg or 232lbs.

Am I the only one here who rides his bike with gas and fluids in it? The only weights that matter to me are what I'm going to be riding on.

We don't have to assume anything KTM says it's 10 pounds lighter, which is amazing, hopefully other manufacture can step their game up.
Tonynz
2/10/2015 10:18pm
B-EVANS wrote:
Saw one on Thursday at Glen Helen, MXA were testing it, talked to one of the test riders about it.

Post a reply to: 2015 factory edition 450

The Latest