2015 YZ250 vs. 2015 KTM 250SX

AKmotorider
8/17/2014 2:52am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2015 7:50am
The first thing I'd like to mention is that I've been a Yamaha guy since the day I started riding. All five of my machines are Yamaha's, dirt bikes as well as four-wheelers.

Early next year I am going to buy a brand new bike for the first time ever, and if I go the smoker route, I want to know what the KTM has on the YZ. If it weren't for the fact that KTM has been putting hard work into their new two-strokes every year, I'd take the YZ hands down; however, as much of a fan that I am of Yamaha, I am not oblivious to other manufacturer's effort.

From what I've heard, the KTM is lightyears ahead of the Yamaha. However, there are other factors to put into play: being a Yamaha rider, will I feel out of place (handling wise) on the most unique machine of all the brands? The KTM is better tech-wise and speed-wise, but that doesn't mean that I'll necessarily be able to adapt to it as well. That being said, what if they don't feel that different? What if I can adapt just fine? Questions, questions.

Next, comes performance and features. I'd like to know the differences.

What do you think? Can a Yamaha rider adapt to a KTM machine, and what exactly does the KTM have on the Yamaha in terms of technology? Thank you, this may really influence my decision!
|
tobz
8/17/2014 3:58am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 3:58am
Ktms aren't as weird and euro as they once we're, coming from a kxf, my ktm 200 was comfortable straight away. But one thing you'll notice is the fit and finish of how the ktm is out together, light years ahead of the Japanese bikes I previously owned.

Having said that I've just finished running in my new yam wr450 :D back to the dark side but it was a financial reason, I'd go back to a ktm in a heartbeat when I move back home.
Crush
8/17/2014 3:59am
HP and a steel frame, better brakes but worse suspension
tmauto769
Fantasy
1265th
8/17/2014 4:47am
tobz wrote:
Ktms aren't as weird and euro as they once we're, coming from a kxf, my ktm 200 was comfortable straight away. But one thing you'll notice...
Ktms aren't as weird and euro as they once we're, coming from a kxf, my ktm 200 was comfortable straight away. But one thing you'll notice is the fit and finish of how the ktm is out together, light years ahead of the Japanese bikes I previously owned.

Having said that I've just finished running in my new yam wr450 :D back to the dark side but it was a financial reason, I'd go back to a ktm in a heartbeat when I move back home.
On fit and finish, what exactly is "light years ahead of the japanese bikes"? I had a 2011 350, and thought the hardware was horrible compared to my '12 crf. The ktm had rust on the caliper bolts sitting on the showroom. They may be on par with the japanese, but this "light years" crap is ridiculous. I smile everytime I hear this and think back to that 350, and about how much a POS it really was. KTM got me once, not again.
tobz
8/17/2014 4:50am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 4:52am
Sounds like you went to a shitty dealer.
so you hear people say it often? Why would that be I wonder Smile

The Shop

AKmotorider
8/17/2014 4:52am
tobz wrote:
Ktms aren't as weird and euro as they once we're, coming from a kxf, my ktm 200 was comfortable straight away. But one thing you'll notice...

tmauto769 wrote:
On fit and finish, what exactly is "light years ahead of the japanese bikes"? I had a 2011 350, and thought the hardware was horrible compared...
On fit and finish, what exactly is "light years ahead of the japanese bikes"? I had a 2011 350, and thought the hardware was horrible compared to my '12 crf. The ktm had rust on the caliper bolts sitting on the showroom. They may be on par with the japanese, but this "light years" crap is ridiculous. I smile everytime I hear this and think back to that 350, and about how much a POS it really was. KTM got me once, not again.
What makes you say that it was a POS? I understand the rust, but surely there were other reasons.
8/17/2014 5:35am
The ktm has more peak power and a better front brake. The YZ has better ergos, better handling and better suspension.

Don't get fooled by the more frequent updates on the pumpkin. The 06 SX was horrible while the 06 YZ was outstanding. They've been playing catch up for the most part.
Digger29
8/17/2014 5:35am
I'm on my 2nd KTM 250SX now and after spending my entire adult life ranking on KTM's and their owners I bought a 13 in the summer of 12 and really didn't like it for the first 4 or 5 days because they are different but after getting the jetting sorted out and setting the bike and suspension up for me I feel that it was by far the best 250 2 stroke that I've ever ridden. I for one totally agree that the fit and finish is definitely head and shoulders above all of the japanese bike but lights ys ahead is a bit of a stretch. I've ridden a number of YZ250s and the only thing they have over the 250SX is the suspension and that's it. The 250SX will stomp a YZ250 but after I installed the 300 kit I switched with a buddy who has a PC motored 13 YZ250 and my bike felt like it had 10 more HP. He came in after riding my bike and said to me and his son that my bike felt like it 10 more HP than his YZ and I said I just told your son that but was very curious as to what you thought. He now rides a KTM too.
nornevrder
8/17/2014 5:41am
I was on yamahas since 1998 yz400f. Picked up a '12 350 and had no problem adapting to it at all. Loved the ergos and had absolute blast on it. Sold it because I didn't like the fact I had to have it wrapped out to keep up with the 450s in the vet ex class and pro classes( I'm a 200+lb rider). Decided I wasn't going to race much since the racing here in Alaska is expensive and I have two kids which are even more expensive. Went and got a '13 250sx and fell in love all over. That bike straight up rips with the correct jetting in it. Raced it once last year and took the holeshot twice and won the vet ex class.
Brakes are crazy good. Suspension out of the box will work good with a little tweaking and testing. Motor, well let's just say it will put a huge smile on your face. Air box set up is lame. All around they are fantastic bikes.
mx965
8/17/2014 5:47am
I also ride a '12 yz250 and I just rode all the new KTMs at the ride day at redbud. The 250sx felt ok. It was not as good as I expected it to be because I had heard the same thing that ktm was soo advanced and blah blah blah. Well, not really. Do not get me wrong I like the ktm it had tons of bottom end it shifted smooth and the hydraulic clutch was great. But, on the other hand the suspension was not good and the handling was not good at all. To me it is not worth it to swich brands.
ando
8/17/2014 5:48am
I think it was around '08 or '09 KTM changed their frame geometry to be much more like the Japanese bikes. For what it's worth the KTM 450 has been at or near the top each year in the MXA shoutout.

From everything I've read and seen (I've owned KTM's for years) everything will be better except the suspension.
Digger29
8/17/2014 5:54am
Sheriff245 wrote:
The ktm has more peak power and a better front brake. The YZ has better ergos, better handling and better suspension. Don't get fooled by the...
The ktm has more peak power and a better front brake. The YZ has better ergos, better handling and better suspension.

Don't get fooled by the more frequent updates on the pumpkin. The 06 SX was horrible while the 06 YZ was outstanding. They've been playing catch up for the most part.
I definitely agree with you about the 06 SX and the 06 YZ but the new 12 and up 250SXs are totally different bikes and I feel that new SX's handle better than the very dated YZ chassis. Don't confuse handling with suspension either because they are two very different things. My 13 and 15 300SX's will turn circles around the YZ and once you get the bike set up suspension/sag-wise the SX is just as stable at speed as the YZ250. If you put the SSS stuff on the SX it would probably be the best 250 2 stroke ever.
AKmotorider
8/17/2014 6:00am
nornevrder wrote:
I was on yamahas since 1998 yz400f. Picked up a '12 350 and had no problem adapting to it at all. Loved the ergos and had...
I was on yamahas since 1998 yz400f. Picked up a '12 350 and had no problem adapting to it at all. Loved the ergos and had absolute blast on it. Sold it because I didn't like the fact I had to have it wrapped out to keep up with the 450s in the vet ex class and pro classes( I'm a 200+lb rider). Decided I wasn't going to race much since the racing here in Alaska is expensive and I have two kids which are even more expensive. Went and got a '13 250sx and fell in love all over. That bike straight up rips with the correct jetting in it. Raced it once last year and took the holeshot twice and won the vet ex class.
Brakes are crazy good. Suspension out of the box will work good with a little tweaking and testing. Motor, well let's just say it will put a huge smile on your face. Air box set up is lame. All around they are fantastic bikes.
#956? Swear I saw your bike on craigslist here not too long ago, haha! Thanks for the input though, it helps. The KTM is looking more and more attractive by the minute. Only bad thing that I've heard about them is the suspension, though that doesn't bother me too much because if I can't get it to work tweaking it in stock form I can always get it custom valved and go from there. I'll just have to see how it feels, but as a still-advancing intermediate racer I think I can probably get by in terms of it's stiffness. Did you do any carb mods or jetting changes on it?
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/17/2014 6:22am
The hot carb setup is a RM needle and the jetting on my air box below. I'm now running a 175 main but it's basically the highest one your conditions allow you to pull...

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the tune-ability of KTM's. I bought an XC head off KTMTalk for my '14 SX, and with a quick head swap and a power valve spring change I can have a absolute woods weapon, then in about 10 minutes turn it back into a fire breathing monster!!
Crush
8/17/2014 6:39am
Yeah that powervalve spring is actually pretty unbelievable how much of a change it makes...
nornevrder
8/17/2014 6:45am
#956? Swear I saw your bike on craigslist here not too long ago, haha! Thanks for the input though, it helps. The KTM is looking more...
#956? Swear I saw your bike on craigslist here not too long ago, haha! Thanks for the input though, it helps. The KTM is looking more and more attractive by the minute. Only bad thing that I've heard about them is the suspension, though that doesn't bother me too much because if I can't get it to work tweaking it in stock form I can always get it custom valved and go from there. I'll just have to see how it feels, but as a still-advancing intermediate racer I think I can probably get by in terms of it's stiffness. Did you do any carb mods or jetting changes on it?
Yeah that was my bike and I am bike less. It only had 18hrs on it and was still in like new condition. No carb mods only pipe and silencer. I spoke with digger and he gave me his jetting set up which was spot on for our area and my riding style. Suzuki needle, 175 main and I stuck with the stock pilot. The bike would pull for days and roll on power when needed through corners. Speaking of corners you could put the bike anywhere and twist the throttle and go. I never had a problem with stability at all.
dedi684
8/17/2014 7:07am
I spent 10 years on yz 250's and just got a 250sx. Can't wait to get some hours on it this fall. Yes its different, but orange is the only logical choice at this point and its a badass bike.
Original 44
8/17/2014 7:12am
I do believe the KTM SX-250 cost more than the Yamaha YZ-250. One thing to remember is that KTM parts are always going to cost more then Japanese parts. Just to do a top end normally is double what it will cost to do a top end in a Yamaha.
JA946
8/17/2014 7:23am
The new 4cs forks worry me. The kyb suspension is tried and true on the Yamaha,
dedi684
8/17/2014 7:47am
Ive got both the yz and the ktm and both have factory connection suspension. Ive put in countless hours bombing the jumps on my practice track. Once I ride it I will know right away if the ktm suspension compares to my yz's. They have been flawless in the suspension dept.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/17/2014 7:50am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 7:53am
I do believe the KTM SX-250 cost more than the Yamaha YZ-250. One thing to remember is that KTM parts are always going to cost more...
I do believe the KTM SX-250 cost more than the Yamaha YZ-250. One thing to remember is that KTM parts are always going to cost more then Japanese parts. Just to do a top end normally is double what it will cost to do a top end in a Yamaha.
Wrong!

A Vertex top end for a YZ is $121 on Motorsport, and one for a KTM is $146.... Let go of all the KTM stereotypes.... They were true 10 years ago, but not anymore.
shanes
8/17/2014 7:51am
why not be different :-} my new bike

Original 44
8/17/2014 7:54am
I do believe the KTM SX-250 cost more than the Yamaha YZ-250. One thing to remember is that KTM parts are always going to cost more...
MxKing809 wrote:
Wrong! A Vertex top end for a YZ is $121 on Motorsport, and one for a KTM is $146.... Let go of all the KTM stereotypes...
Wrong!

A Vertex top end for a YZ is $121 on Motorsport, and one for a KTM is $146.... Let go of all the KTM stereotypes.... They were true 10 years ago, but not anymore.
I was talking about OEM. Not aftermarket.
urbanlift707
8/17/2014 7:55am
My father in law has a 13 sx and my brother in law has a 04 yz I've ridden both back to back at several different tracks. Even though the sx is way faster, has better brakes and clutch. I was faster and more comfortable on the yz.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/17/2014 7:57am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 8:05am
MxKing809 wrote:
Wrong! A Vertex top end for a YZ is $121 on Motorsport, and one for a KTM is $146.... Let go of all the KTM stereotypes...
Wrong!

I was talking about OEM. Not aftermarket.
Vertex is OEM for KTM. Don't fault them for using higher quality parts from the factory. Apples to apples it's almost the same.

Edit: OEM parts on Motorsport for a YZ total more than $121.... So it backs me up even more.
8/17/2014 8:46am
shanes, that bike is sexy!!! how does it run? what are u coming off of?
bsharkey
8/17/2014 9:06am
I heard the 15 ktms had big upgrade in suspension. can anyone give us any input on this
JA946
8/17/2014 9:08am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 9:09am
bsharkey wrote:
I heard the 15 ktms had big upgrade in suspension. can anyone give us any input on this
Yes, the 4CS fork.

The one that I was told, "No one has figured out yet, and just buy a set of Ohlins".

Edit: If you look on thumper talk - all of the trail riders say the WP stuff is primo. Anyone remotely fast in MX say to buy Ohlins and get away from the WP - There's a reason people are putting KYB internals and doing fork swaps on the KTM.

Also, my stance: I want a new FC350 or TC250 baaaaaaadly - but those forks worry me, and the idea of speaking 7-10K on a NEW bike, and then needing to budget 3-4K for Ohlins scares me.
TeamGreen
8/17/2014 9:36am
bsharkey wrote:
JA946 wrote:
Yes, the 4CS fork. The one that I was told, "No one has figured out yet, and just buy a set of Ohlins". Edit: If you...
Yes, the 4CS fork.

The one that I was told, "No one has figured out yet, and just buy a set of Ohlins".

Edit: If you look on thumper talk - all of the trail riders say the WP stuff is primo. Anyone remotely fast in MX say to buy Ohlins and get away from the WP - There's a reason people are putting KYB internals and doing fork swaps on the KTM.

Also, my stance: I want a new FC350 or TC250 baaaaaaadly - but those forks worry me, and the idea of speaking 7-10K on a NEW bike, and then needing to budget 3-4K for Ohlins scares me.
I've got WP ('14SXF) & KYB ('14 KXF & '12 KXF)...the WP are getting better and feel like '12 Showas that still have a little bit of harshness compared to my '12 KYB-by Enzo & my '14 KYB by PC (air & they're amazing).

I've seen good results from Enzo, Factory Connection & WP (Murietta) on the WPs.

As for the question: YZ versus SX?

My primary considerations would be price and parts/after-market product availability and the cost to get the bike where/how I want it.

If the "New" Yamaha is a bunch of $...just for their new PLASTIC? I'd by a new-left-over or REALLY CLEAN USED '09-'13 & UFO it (looks as good/better, to me...). Imagine getting a nice barely ridden used bike (Mechanically same as '15) for $4000? Then you can spend $ on your favorite goodies...many people don't have to do ANYTHING to the suspension...aka...no $ spent. I know a few guys that've simple installed stiffer springs!

Or....a New Katoom or Husky...as some have said: FAST! I've put quite a few laps on the Husky TC250. I'm a 450 rider; yet, I was able to get on the Husky and go. For me, a KTM owner...I've gotta admit: the Husky just looks awesome.

You know what you should get? WHATEVER it is that you truly want.

Good luck!
JA946
8/17/2014 9:44am
TeamGreen wrote:
I've got WP ('14SXF) & KYB ('14 KXF & '12 KXF)...the WP are getting better and feel like '12 Showas that still have a little bit...
I've got WP ('14SXF) & KYB ('14 KXF & '12 KXF)...the WP are getting better and feel like '12 Showas that still have a little bit of harshness compared to my '12 KYB-by Enzo & my '14 KYB by PC (air & they're amazing).

I've seen good results from Enzo, Factory Connection & WP (Murietta) on the WPs.

As for the question: YZ versus SX?

My primary considerations would be price and parts/after-market product availability and the cost to get the bike where/how I want it.

If the "New" Yamaha is a bunch of $...just for their new PLASTIC? I'd by a new-left-over or REALLY CLEAN USED '09-'13 & UFO it (looks as good/better, to me...). Imagine getting a nice barely ridden used bike (Mechanically same as '15) for $4000? Then you can spend $ on your favorite goodies...many people don't have to do ANYTHING to the suspension...aka...no $ spent. I know a few guys that've simple installed stiffer springs!

Or....a New Katoom or Husky...as some have said: FAST! I've put quite a few laps on the Husky TC250. I'm a 450 rider; yet, I was able to get on the Husky and go. For me, a KTM owner...I've gotta admit: the Husky just looks awesome.

You know what you should get? WHATEVER it is that you truly want.

Good luck!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
8/17/2014 10:35am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 10:36am
A new bike is a new bike, whether it's a SX or YZ. You might look at the price of each and what you can get the best deal on, because after a month of riding it, it is now a used bike. Plus, what do you think you will have the most confidence on? A 250 2-stroke is still a very powerful engine, and IMO a slow 250 is still enough power for most of us. What kind of options can you get? Someone mentioned the tuneability of KTMs which is a good point. Another point to consider is could you find a brand new bike that is a couple of years old, that is left over? With the YZ, you might could find one left over, and if you're as vain as a lot of us, you could put on the latest model fenders. You could prob do the same with the KTM. Just some thoughts.

Post a reply to: 2015 YZ250 vs. 2015 KTM 250SX

The Latest