2015 KTM 350 test

Brent
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2014 12:41pm
Just saw the 2015 KTM 350 test on the homepage, thanks Mike and GuyB for making that happen.

Looks like I'm going to go to Langston this weekend and throw down for my first KTM ever, but I had one question - how do you think the bike handled square edge chop and braking bumps?

I ask because I got to ride a 2012 set up for close to my weight at CCMX once and it was brutal - I wonder if they got this issue fixed or at least improved?

If I get this bike it now will have have to be clicker adjustments for awhile, because nobody I know of in SoCal has figured out the 4CS fork yet.

Plus, I'm just a geezer and cant deal with chop all the time.

Thanks guys
|
logan_140
7/8/2014 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2014 12:01pm
Getting a '14 350 for $6,400 was gonna get a '15 but with what I can save I could do alot to it
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
7/8/2014 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2014 12:03pm
I rode the new 350 up at the KTM ride day at Washougal 2 weeks ago. All the bikes seemed to have a bit of harshness up front on the braking bumps. At the bottom of the ski jump the front end was deflecting a bit. Granted with so many people hopping on the bikes and who knows how many clicker adjustments that were made, I don't fully blame the bike. The new 350 is a blast for sure, you won't be disappointed. A buddy of mine just had FC go thru his stuff off his 14 350xcw 6days which has the 4cs fork and he said it is like a magic carpet now.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/8/2014 1:09pm
How much do you weigh? Honestly, it's the best one year jump that KTM has made suspension wise for me. The 4cs forks in stock trim were quite a bit better than some of the previous bladder forks I've tested that were revalved. I was chasing an initial deflection feel when the fork was unloaded. If I had them apart, I would probably try a softer pressure spring. Using clickers I got pretty close however. I'm on the light side for the stock springs 145-150lbs.

Shock wise, I thought it was just at ad bit soft and fast on the rebound. Couple clicks though and I was okay for the day. We tested at Cahuilla which is pretty fast and has a lot of little high speed chop. I thought the rear settled fine and tracked well across that chop without being too busy or trying to step out. Most of my rebound complaint was based on jump take offs and the initial bump in a larger set of low speed braking bumps.

Hope this helps, sorry for the late response I'm out and about and typed this up on my phone. If you have any other questions, fire away.
gpracer36
7/8/2014 2:05pm
I have a question, overall is the slightly less power but lighter feeling worth stepping down from a 450? i am coming off a 14 ktm 450sxf, thinking of the 350 as something i can throw around a little better. I am close to your weight, 152 ish, vet int. I am holding out for the new honda but seriously thinking about the 350. I ride so cal tracks and gp's, SRA, Big 6, ect...

thank you

The Shop

Brent
7/8/2014 3:27pm
ML512 wrote:
How much do you weigh? Honestly, it's the best one year jump that KTM has made suspension wise for me. The 4cs forks in stock trim...
How much do you weigh? Honestly, it's the best one year jump that KTM has made suspension wise for me. The 4cs forks in stock trim were quite a bit better than some of the previous bladder forks I've tested that were revalved. I was chasing an initial deflection feel when the fork was unloaded. If I had them apart, I would probably try a softer pressure spring. Using clickers I got pretty close however. I'm on the light side for the stock springs 145-150lbs.

Shock wise, I thought it was just at ad bit soft and fast on the rebound. Couple clicks though and I was okay for the day. We tested at Cahuilla which is pretty fast and has a lot of little high speed chop. I thought the rear settled fine and tracked well across that chop without being too busy or trying to step out. Most of my rebound complaint was based on jump take offs and the initial bump in a larger set of low speed braking bumps.

Hope this helps, sorry for the late response I'm out and about and typed this up on my phone. If you have any other questions, fire away.
I'm 170 on a good day, so maybe the stock spring rates are in the ballpark. Chop is always hard to adjust for at cahuilla because of the fluff/sand/hard pack mix, but at least it sounds like there is the adjustability potential for the new suspension.

Funny, absolute best suspension I ever rode there was one of Maedas Hondas with the Enzo sub tanks on it a few years back.

People make fun of those tanks but I swear to god it was like riding a soft pillow....

Thanks for the feed back, I guess I'll find out myself next week...
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/8/2014 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2014 4:47pm
Brent wrote:
I'm 170 on a good day, so maybe the stock spring rates are in the ballpark. Chop is always hard to adjust for at cahuilla because...
I'm 170 on a good day, so maybe the stock spring rates are in the ballpark. Chop is always hard to adjust for at cahuilla because of the fluff/sand/hard pack mix, but at least it sounds like there is the adjustability potential for the new suspension.

Funny, absolute best suspension I ever rode there was one of Maedas Hondas with the Enzo sub tanks on it a few years back.

People make fun of those tanks but I swear to god it was like riding a soft pillow....

I've heard that the 2015's will have the same fork/setting as the 14.5 FE 450, but I could be wrong...

I have a 14.5 FE 450 with the 4CS forks. I had ENZO revalve it for me. I am 205 lbs and am running the stock springs. Will has revalved it twice for me and I'm still not completely happy with the forks on the braking bumps/ chop. I have had several people ride the bike and almost everyone has had the same response about the "feel". We started out with a heavier fork and shock spring, but went back to the stock springs. The forks work GREAT on a ROUGH track and the shock works great everywhere. I think I have taken enough notes on clicker adjustments to be able to relay what I'm unhappy with, so that I can have Will (ENZO) give it another tweak when I need a service.

I talked to Graeme Brough about the forks and he agrees that the stock springs are worthy of a 195 VET PRO and a 205 50+ "B" rider. These forks are going to be a serious issue with KTM's reputation, if they didn't change them from the 14.5FE bike. They are really HARSH in stock form, I can't see anyone just doing clicker adjustments to get them to work good enough to go racing....

Oh and the ENZO sub tanks worked really good on the "07 Honda SHOWA forks, my kid loved them. I'm not sure they would work/help with the WP 4CS forks though.
gpracer36
7/8/2014 5:53pm
Brent wrote:
I'm 170 on a good day, so maybe the stock spring rates are in the ballpark. Chop is always hard to adjust for at cahuilla because...

langhammx wrote:
I've heard that the 2015's will have the same fork/setting as the 14.5 FE 450, but I could be wrong... I have a 14.5 FE 450...
I've heard that the 2015's will have the same fork/setting as the 14.5 FE 450, but I could be wrong...

I have a 14.5 FE 450 with the 4CS forks. I had ENZO revalve it for me. I am 205 lbs and am running the stock springs. Will has revalved it twice for me and I'm still not completely happy with the forks on the braking bumps/ chop. I have had several people ride the bike and almost everyone has had the same response about the "feel". We started out with a heavier fork and shock spring, but went back to the stock springs. The forks work GREAT on a ROUGH track and the shock works great everywhere. I think I have taken enough notes on clicker adjustments to be able to relay what I'm unhappy with, so that I can have Will (ENZO) give it another tweak when I need a service.

I talked to Graeme Brough about the forks and he agrees that the stock springs are worthy of a 195 VET PRO and a 205 50+ "B" rider. These forks are going to be a serious issue with KTM's reputation, if they didn't change them from the 14.5FE bike. They are really HARSH in stock form, I can't see anyone just doing clicker adjustments to get them to work good enough to go racing....

Oh and the ENZO sub tanks worked really good on the "07 Honda SHOWA forks, my kid loved them. I'm not sure they would work/help with the WP 4CS forks though.
I rode a 14.5 FE. It was stock. The worst forks I have EVER rode. they were a joke. I ride a KTM, 14, and could not believe they would sell a bike set up so bad. Of course anyone I mentioned it to blamed me or said they need to break in, bla bla bla, they suck. According to MXA the 15's have updated USA specs, whatever that means.
7/8/2014 6:01pm
Brent wrote:
Just saw the 2015 KTM 350 test on the homepage, thanks Mike and GuyB for making that happen. Looks like I'm going to go to Langston...
Just saw the 2015 KTM 350 test on the homepage, thanks Mike and GuyB for making that happen.

Looks like I'm going to go to Langston this weekend and throw down for my first KTM ever, but I had one question - how do you think the bike handled square edge chop and braking bumps?

I ask because I got to ride a 2012 set up for close to my weight at CCMX once and it was brutal - I wonder if they got this issue fixed or at least improved?

If I get this bike it now will have have to be clicker adjustments for awhile, because nobody I know of in SoCal has figured out the 4CS fork yet.

Thanks guys
FC has the 4CS suspension figured out pretty well I've heard.
slipdog
7/8/2014 6:15pm
First off, the 4cs forks are basically a open cartridge fork and there is no pressure spring. I've heard the '15 settings are going to be softer than the '14.5 FE, which has minimal float(.075mm) and a stiff stack which leads to the extremely harsh feedback. I lowered one guys oil level from 70mm to 100mm and he thought that helped a lot. I see no reason that sub tanks won't work well on these forks just like the pre '04 KYB cartridge forks.
Brent
7/8/2014 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2014 7:58pm
Just went to see a 2015 350 over at NCY, first one they had.

Let me tell ya boys, that thing is the dirt bike version of Kate Upton- bike is so gorgeous I got a stiffie just sitting on it.

Would have pulled the trigger tonight but they wouldn't back off full pop list PLUS $950.00 set up fee? I get it, first bike of the new year, some sucker will finance it.

Pretty as she was, I didn't feel like getting wallet-raped today, maybe I'll wait till king Jody says if he approves of the bike or not.

I sure hope the suspenders are just mis-understood rather than shit, because I really would like to get one, but not if it's a damn jackhammer

Time will tell....
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/8/2014 8:04pm
slipdog wrote:
First off, the 4cs forks are basically a open cartridge fork and there is no pressure spring. I've heard the '15 settings are going to be...
First off, the 4cs forks are basically a open cartridge fork and there is no pressure spring. I've heard the '15 settings are going to be softer than the '14.5 FE, which has minimal float(.075mm) and a stiff stack which leads to the extremely harsh feedback. I lowered one guys oil level from 70mm to 100mm and he thought that helped a lot. I see no reason that sub tanks won't work well on these forks just like the pre '04 KYB cartridge forks.
Sorry for my miss-wording, the 4cs still has a pressure spring type system that controls the rod charge.
bvm111
7/8/2014 8:07pm
I'm with you... I have been watching this thread all day hoping to find out more info. I am also looking at the 15 KX450 and stopped in the stealership this weekend and they were trying to pawn off a left over 13 and 14 for nearly MSRP.... Seriously?

I am going to let the dust settle on everything and go from there once we get more info!
gpracer36
7/8/2014 8:07pm
Brent wrote:
Just went to see a 2015 350 over at NCY, first one they had. Let me tell ya boys, that thing is the dirt bike version...
Just went to see a 2015 350 over at NCY, first one they had.

Let me tell ya boys, that thing is the dirt bike version of Kate Upton- bike is so gorgeous I got a stiffie just sitting on it.

Would have pulled the trigger tonight but they wouldn't back off full pop list PLUS $950.00 set up fee? I get it, first bike of the new year, some sucker will finance it.

Pretty as she was, I didn't feel like getting wallet-raped today, maybe I'll wait till king Jody says if he approves of the bike or not.

I sure hope the suspenders are just mis-understood rather than shit, because I really would like to get one, but not if it's a damn jackhammer

Time will tell....
I talked to Justin AHM in Yorba Linda. They have been doing these forks for a while now. remember, they come stock on the 14 xcf's. Justin has quite a back round and they actually do some work for KTM. He has a 15 350 in the shop now, its KTM's bike I guess. Anyway, he feels pretty confident in setting up the new forks. If I get a 350, that's the first thing I will do. Just like you, my dealer got one in, but I am not paying full boat. Will wait it out or just buy a new Honda.
Brent
7/8/2014 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2014 8:40pm
gpracer36 wrote:
I talked to Justin AHM in Yorba Linda. They have been doing these forks for a while now. remember, they come stock on the 14 xcf's...
I talked to Justin AHM in Yorba Linda. They have been doing these forks for a while now. remember, they come stock on the 14 xcf's. Justin has quite a back round and they actually do some work for KTM. He has a 15 350 in the shop now, its KTM's bike I guess. Anyway, he feels pretty confident in setting up the new forks. If I get a 350, that's the first thing I will do. Just like you, my dealer got one in, but I am not paying full boat. Will wait it out or just buy a new Honda.
I'm assuming Motoworld?

I already did that. I've bought 9 bikes and two watercraft from those guys since 2000, but even that kind of loyalty won't move the needle on a KTM.

They would however, give me a smokin deal on a new 2010 crf 450 thoughLaughingAngry
slipdog
7/8/2014 8:42pm
ML512 wrote:
Sorry for my miss-wording, the 4cs still has a pressure spring type system that controls the rod charge.
Interesting, I've only worked on a few so far and I wasn't aware that there were optional springs available for the bladder (That's what I've been referring to it as for lack of a better word).
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/8/2014 10:06pm
ML512 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Interesting, I've only worked on a few so far and I wasn't aware that there were optional springs available for the bladder (That's what I've been...
Interesting, I've only worked on a few so far and I wasn't aware that there were optional springs available for the bladder (That's what I've been referring to it as for lack of a better word).
When we tested this bike I asked the ktm guys, and they stated that the 450 & 350 used the same "rate" (I don't really now how to refer to the part) while the 250 was different. Ross gave me a much better explanation on the part but I'd have a hard time writing it all down in a paragraph in the correct order. Laughing
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/8/2014 10:08pm
ML512 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Interesting, I've only worked on a few so far and I wasn't aware that there were optional springs available for the bladder (That's what I've been...
ML512 wrote:
When we tested this bike I asked the ktm guys, and they stated that the 450 & 350 used the same "rate" (I don't really now...
When we tested this bike I asked the ktm guys, and they stated that the 450 & 350 used the same "rate" (I don't really now how to refer to the part) while the 250 was different. Ross gave me a much better explanation on the part but I'd have a hard time writing it all down in a paragraph in the correct order. Laughing
I want to get my hands on a set for a bit, tear them down and try a few things. Subtanks would be high on my list of things to try though.
TNL830
7/8/2014 10:14pm
Brent wrote:
Just saw the 2015 KTM 350 test on the homepage, thanks Mike and GuyB for making that happen. Looks like I'm going to go to Langston...

Thanks guys
Pretty sure they have a few settings for you

wpfactoryservices.com
ob
7/8/2014 10:14pm
You guys that can't get a deal on a new KTM, wtf. You are doing it wrong.
Brent
7/9/2014 10:42am
Contacted Munn last night, also talking with Altus in OK. I got a Kawi from Altus. 4 years ago, great guys there.

Sad that I can't do business with my local shops, their loss I guess...
Brent
7/9/2014 10:43am
ob wrote:
You guys that can't get a deal on a new KTM, wtf. You are doing it wrong.
Ok, let's hear the procedure please.
7/9/2014 1:38pm
Brent if ur interested in a practically brand new 13.5 dungey bike for a great deal tex me 8482102782. Im putting the 4cs stuff on it from the 15 im getting. The bike is stock otherwise but has a brand new titanium yosh exhaust
Schipwreck
11/24/2014 7:04am
slipdog wrote:
First off, the 4cs forks are basically a open cartridge fork and there is no pressure spring. I've heard the '15 settings are going to be...
I just bought a new KTM with the 4cs forks.. ive read about lowering the oil height/ cc's to make them plush but nobody explains if you take it out of the top or the bottom side. From what i understand they are separate.. Can you explain a little more?
Highsider
11/24/2014 7:19am
All the old geezers need to ride a friend's YZ450F.
They have the best suspension and minimal attention to the forks is required.

Just ride! You aren't out to win a championship. Unsure

machine
11/24/2014 7:34am
A buddy of mine sent his 2015 350 suspension to KTM Factory Services and is very happy with the outcome. Their pricing is also good.
slipdog
11/24/2014 12:41pm
Schipwreck wrote:
I just bought a new KTM with the 4cs forks.. ive read about lowering the oil height/ cc's to make them plush but nobody explains if...
I just bought a new KTM with the 4cs forks.. ive read about lowering the oil height/ cc's to make them plush but nobody explains if you take it out of the top or the bottom side. From what i understand they are separate.. Can you explain a little more?
You would do it like any open cartridge fork. Unscrew the cap, slide the tube down, loosen the lock nut on the damper rod and remove the cap and the fork spring. Use an oil level gauge to set the height where you want it with the tube collapsed all the way, i.e. 90-100-110mm from the top of the tube.

Post a reply to: 2015 KTM 350 test

The Latest