2015 CRF450r suspension

Junebug833
8/10/2015 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2015 5:56pm
Well I've just hit the 15 hour mark on my bike and I couldn't be happier with it. The bike handles great, power delivery is smooth but it's strong if you want it to be, it's really light and flickable in the air. My only complaint with it is the suspension. When I first got the bike it felt very stiff and rigid through the rough stuff and it bottomed out really easy. I know that I'm going to feel some stuff so I rode it a little bit and decided to take it to one of our local guys here and see if they could work their magic. First off was a stiffer spring obviously and then he revalved both the forks and the shock. And it was way too stiff but it wasn't bottoming out anymore which was good but it still felt really rigid and nervous through the bumps. So he went in and made a few changes and it was a little better but I still wasn't completely satisfied. The back end tracked really well and stayed underneath me over everything and never got out of whack. Well recently I just hit the 15 hour mark on it and everything I think everything is seated and pretty well broken in now and the suspension now feels exactly how it did when it was bone stock.

I spoke with Factory Connection today and they told me that they have figured out how to get rid of that stiff choppy feeling at the top of the stroke and they could get me a setup that would really work well for me. I don't want to throw in the towel on my suspension guy yet and we are going to try a few more settings to try and figure it out but if we can't I'm probably going to go with Factory Connection since they specialize in Honda it kind of seems like a no brainer.

My question is, are they really as good as what they say they are? I know they do the Geico bikes but obviously we are talking about two completely different setups. Does anyone have this bike that has this same issue? How was your guys' experience with Factory Connection? Just trying to get some feedback on where else to look to have do my suspension.

Mike
|
Mx286
8/10/2015 5:49pm
Factory Connection did my Honda's and they did a good job. Those bikes are difficult to set up. If you can find the right guy to click your bike in after you get it set up that would be a huge help. My only compliant was as the bike got older the suspension seemed to go away and feel like mush.

Now if you've got some coin to spend, I was told by PR2 to get the spring forks off the 250's (10-13) and build them for the 450. You can check out ebay and see what they got them going for.
Junebug833
8/10/2015 6:00pm
Mx286 wrote:
Factory Connection did my Honda's and they did a good job. Those bikes are difficult to set up. If you can find the right guy to...
Factory Connection did my Honda's and they did a good job. Those bikes are difficult to set up. If you can find the right guy to click your bike in after you get it set up that would be a huge help. My only compliant was as the bike got older the suspension seemed to go away and feel like mush.

Now if you've got some coin to spend, I was told by PR2 to get the spring forks off the 250's (10-13) and build them for the 450. You can check out ebay and see what they got them going for.
Did they say why to get the 10-13 250 forks rather than say a 12 or older 450 fork?
Mx286
8/10/2015 7:08pm
Junebug833 wrote:
Did they say why to get the 10-13 250 forks rather than say a 12 or older 450 fork?
To be honest I can't recall.. You could call and ask them. I'm sure the older 450 would work as well.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/10/2015 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2015 8:11pm
Mx286 wrote:
Factory Connection did my Honda's and they did a good job. Those bikes are difficult to set up. If you can find the right guy to...

Junebug833 wrote:
I think it was do to the flex and how popular those particular models were. I'm going to pick up a set and check it out. My 15 was really weird to me at first and harsh. Pro action made them night and day better with a revalve. I was riding so stiff and after the revalve was able to ride loose. I still want to feel the difference with back to back tests to see the real difference since I hadn't been on springs for a few years. I can put them back on eBay afterwards if I choose.

The Shop

Junebug833
8/10/2015 8:11pm
FLmxer wrote:
I think it was do to the flex and how popular those particular models were. I'm going to pick up a set and check it out...
I think it was do to the flex and how popular those particular models were. I'm going to pick up a set and check it out. My 15 was really weird to me at first and harsh. Pro action made them night and day better with a revalve. I was riding so stiff and after the revalve was able to ride loose. I still want to feel the difference with back to back tests to see the real difference since I hadn't been on springs for a few years. I can put them back on eBay afterwards if I choose.
I guess it also kind of sketches me out about putting a set off used forks on my brand new bike I don't know if that's me being paranoid or stubborn...I never have good luck with anything used...
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/10/2015 8:17pm
FLmxer wrote:
I think it was do to the flex and how popular those particular models were. I'm going to pick up a set and check it out...
Junebug833 wrote:
I guess it also kind of sketches me out about putting a set off used forks on my brand new bike I don't know if that's...
I guess it also kind of sketches me out about putting a set off used forks on my brand new bike I don't know if that's me being paranoid or stubborn...I never have good luck with anything used...
I am with you there. I don't either but I loved my last spring forks. I probably would be better off just getting in better shape. Lol
gpracer36
8/11/2015 10:49am
I have 2012 CRF250r showa spring forks on my 15 Honda. First, they are a little longer than the stock air forks. Funny cause that is exactly what Honda did to the 2016. I bought them on Ebay, sent them to my suspension guy and he went through them and replaced any worn parts. No biggy. These forks are easy to set up. I believe these were the same year forks Windham used on his 450. Anyway, I am happy with them. Once dialed in they make the bike track better up front with a better feel with the ground.
Junebug833
8/11/2015 12:52pm
gpracer36 wrote:
I have 2012 CRF250r showa spring forks on my 15 Honda. First, they are a little longer than the stock air forks. Funny cause that is...
I have 2012 CRF250r showa spring forks on my 15 Honda. First, they are a little longer than the stock air forks. Funny cause that is exactly what Honda did to the 2016. I bought them on Ebay, sent them to my suspension guy and he went through them and replaced any worn parts. No biggy. These forks are easy to set up. I believe these were the same year forks Windham used on his 450. Anyway, I am happy with them. Once dialed in they make the bike track better up front with a better feel with the ground.
Thanks for the info! I've been looking at a set that I found but I think I might look into a shock too...from what I have experienced and what other people have told me the rebound clicker on the '15 hardly works at all
MBR
8/11/2015 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 1:39pm
According guys that have ridden both 2015 and 2016 the suspension should a much better on 2016 CRF450. We'll found out in a month.
gpracer36
8/11/2015 1:56pm
gpracer36 wrote:
I have 2012 CRF250r showa spring forks on my 15 Honda. First, they are a little longer than the stock air forks. Funny cause that is...
Junebug833 wrote:
Thanks for the info! I've been looking at a set that I found but I think I might look into a shock too...from what I have...
Thanks for the info! I've been looking at a set that I found but I think I might look into a shock too...from what I have experienced and what other people have told me the rebound clicker on the '15 hardly works at all
I had my tuner put on an SDI clevis with the rebound adjuster on the bottom on my shock.
8/11/2015 1:56pm
When i still had 15 450crf i noticed that it was very sensitive about oil level, i tested back and forth, more and less oil, and finally found the right amount of oil. It was still shaky and nervous at braking bumps but plush and didn't bottom. To solve that nervous feeling i think adjusting sag was the Best way, tried 95-110mm sag and ended up with 105mm. Suspension still wasn't as good as i think it was on 14 honda but that was the way i left it.
Junebug833
8/11/2015 3:19pm
Im going out to my suspension guys' private track on Thursday to try and solve this problem but if we can't come to a conclusion I'm starting to float around the idea of get the Ohlins RXF48 forks and the TTX44 shock...have any of you guys ridden with that setup?
ROCKNDAWG
8/11/2015 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 4:58pm
I'm a 220 lbs fairly fast 60 old guy, I took my 2015 CRF450R forks to 2 different suspension guys, and took it back to them a couple additional times each. Every time they fixed one thing it messed up another.
I finally threw in the towel and just picked up a 2016 KX450F, i like somethings better about the CRF450R but my first ride on the KX with just guessing at what the heck air to put where I liked the forks better than the re-valved CR stuff.
So even though I liked most everything about the CR except the forks, overall being a big guy I think I will be happier on the KX.
Sometimes I feel I should have just gone down the Ohlins route, but I couldn't find anybody who tried them on a Honda. Which I found a little strange based on some of the negative comments on the board about the PS2 forks.
PS Im also not a air fork hater my revalved PS1 forks where some of the best stuff I have ever had.....and I have been riding/buying bikes for over 40 years!
Junebug833
8/11/2015 6:24pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
I'm a 220 lbs fairly fast 60 old guy, I took my 2015 CRF450R forks to 2 different suspension guys, and took it back to them...
I'm a 220 lbs fairly fast 60 old guy, I took my 2015 CRF450R forks to 2 different suspension guys, and took it back to them a couple additional times each. Every time they fixed one thing it messed up another.
I finally threw in the towel and just picked up a 2016 KX450F, i like somethings better about the CRF450R but my first ride on the KX with just guessing at what the heck air to put where I liked the forks better than the re-valved CR stuff.
So even though I liked most everything about the CR except the forks, overall being a big guy I think I will be happier on the KX.
Sometimes I feel I should have just gone down the Ohlins route, but I couldn't find anybody who tried them on a Honda. Which I found a little strange based on some of the negative comments on the board about the PS2 forks.
PS Im also not a air fork hater my revalved PS1 forks where some of the best stuff I have ever had.....and I have been riding/buying bikes for over 40 years!
I had a 13 KX450f and I had the forks and shock revalved and it was amazing I just couldn't get the tank to turn and I grew up on a Honda so I went back to my roots and I absolutely love it but I HATE these PSF2 forks they are horrible. I've talked to a lot of riders who have ridden the PSF2 suspension and a lot of different suspension companies and they are all pointing me towards the Ohlins RXF48 and TTX44 shock. It's just a lot of coin to drop on a bike that I just dropped $7300 on....but I guess I don't have get the suspension revalved every time I get a new bike I can just swap the whole suspension
deez387
8/11/2015 6:58pm
Does anyone know if you can use the showas from an 08 to fit the 15s? I know the 09-12 450s and 10-13 250fs will work. I'm picking up a barely ridden 15 in a couple days w an FC revalve for 150 lbs already done to the susp But im a 175 Vet B. I will try to be patient with the psf2 but I do have a pair of A kit showas from an 08 just hanging out in the garage.
ROCKNDAWG
8/11/2015 7:15pm
Junebug833 if you buy the Ohlins stuff let me know how they work. As stated I probably should have done that instead of buying a new bike. Steve down at Shock Therapy gave up on the PS2s on his personal bike and swears by the TXX cartridges. The whole fork almost seems like a better deal based on even though they are like $1500, are worth more used than that and you can just put them on the new bike.
Junebug833
8/11/2015 7:52pm
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
Junebug833 if you buy the Ohlins stuff let me know how they work. As stated I probably should have done that instead of buying a new...
Junebug833 if you buy the Ohlins stuff let me know how they work. As stated I probably should have done that instead of buying a new bike. Steve down at Shock Therapy gave up on the PS2s on his personal bike and swears by the TXX cartridges. The whole fork almost seems like a better deal based on even though they are like $1500, are worth more used than that and you can just put them on the new bike.
I will definitely let you know how it goes! I'm probably going to finish this season with the stock suspension on it and then possibly pick up the Ohlins kit this offseason if everything goes as planned
Junebug833
8/11/2015 7:53pm
deez387 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can use the showas from an 08 to fit the 15s? I know the 09-12 450s and 10-13 250fs will work...
Does anyone know if you can use the showas from an 08 to fit the 15s? I know the 09-12 450s and 10-13 250fs will work. I'm picking up a barely ridden 15 in a couple days w an FC revalve for 150 lbs already done to the susp But im a 175 Vet B. I will try to be patient with the psf2 but I do have a pair of A kit showas from an 08 just hanging out in the garage.
If they are 48mm forks i don't know why they wouldn't work??
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/14/2015 8:34am
deez387 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can use the showas from an 08 to fit the 15s? I know the 09-12 450s and 10-13 250fs will work...
Junebug833 wrote:
I am not sure about the 08 but I have considered trying my 05 forks but have to use the 05 triple clamps and one of the two top bearing, the 15 I think. Real easy swap. Could be the same situation with 08.
motomike894
8/14/2015 8:55am
I put 13 CRF 250 spring forks and the Sdi shock clevis on mine with revalve and proper springs made bike twice as good with stock junk shit And I'm selling mine if anyone's interested haha
deez387
8/14/2015 9:59am
deez387 wrote:
Junebug833 wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
I am not sure about the 08 but I have considered trying my 05 forks but have to use the 05 triple clamps and one of...
I am not sure about the 08 but I have considered trying my 05 forks but have to use the 05 triple clamps and one of the two top bearing, the 15 I think. Real easy swap. Could be the same situation with 08.
Thanks. I'll try it.... if I have to
Trav138
8/14/2015 10:07am
wow having to put old forks on a 15 and chasing parts all over the globe after dropping 8-9 k. that sucks for you guys, at least you're doing what you can to make them work but jeez thats rediculous
just think you have launch control though

Its not just Honda, most of the brands seen to have some major issues that need money thrown at them right away.
TeamGreen
8/14/2015 10:10am
Factory Connection will get your forks working right or give you your money back.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/14/2015 10:16am
I also noticed that this is the least information I have seen about this model compared to most others. I believe it is because there are not a ton out there and the power and suspension issues have kept the consumer numbers small.
walent215
8/14/2015 10:25am
ROCKNDAWG wrote:
I'm a 220 lbs fairly fast 60 old guy, I took my 2015 CRF450R forks to 2 different suspension guys, and took it back to them...
Junebug833 wrote:
I had a 13 KX450f and I had the forks and shock revalved and it was amazing I just couldn't get the tank to turn and...
I had a 13 KX450f and I had the forks and shock revalved and it was amazing I just couldn't get the tank to turn and I grew up on a Honda so I went back to my roots and I absolutely love it but I HATE these PSF2 forks they are horrible. I've talked to a lot of riders who have ridden the PSF2 suspension and a lot of different suspension companies and they are all pointing me towards the Ohlins RXF48 and TTX44 shock. It's just a lot of coin to drop on a bike that I just dropped $7300 on....but I guess I don't have get the suspension revalved every time I get a new bike I can just swap the whole suspension
Who revalved your 13 stuff
Junebug833
8/14/2015 12:34pm
walent215 wrote:
Eric Szalay at SRS Suspension here in Ohio
walent215
8/14/2015 12:50pm
walent215 wrote:
Junebug833 wrote:
Eric Szalay at SRS Suspension here in Ohio
10-4..I've got a 13 also and was just curious..thanks.
Daystar99
8/14/2015 2:51pm
Junebug833 wrote:
Well I've just hit the 15 hour mark on my bike and I couldn't be happier with it. The bike handles great, power delivery is smooth...
Well I've just hit the 15 hour mark on my bike and I couldn't be happier with it. The bike handles great, power delivery is smooth but it's strong if you want it to be, it's really light and flickable in the air. My only complaint with it is the suspension. When I first got the bike it felt very stiff and rigid through the rough stuff and it bottomed out really easy. I know that I'm going to feel some stuff so I rode it a little bit and decided to take it to one of our local guys here and see if they could work their magic. First off was a stiffer spring obviously and then he revalved both the forks and the shock. And it was way too stiff but it wasn't bottoming out anymore which was good but it still felt really rigid and nervous through the bumps. So he went in and made a few changes and it was a little better but I still wasn't completely satisfied. The back end tracked really well and stayed underneath me over everything and never got out of whack. Well recently I just hit the 15 hour mark on it and everything I think everything is seated and pretty well broken in now and the suspension now feels exactly how it did when it was bone stock.

I spoke with Factory Connection today and they told me that they have figured out how to get rid of that stiff choppy feeling at the top of the stroke and they could get me a setup that would really work well for me. I don't want to throw in the towel on my suspension guy yet and we are going to try a few more settings to try and figure it out but if we can't I'm probably going to go with Factory Connection since they specialize in Honda it kind of seems like a no brainer.

My question is, are they really as good as what they say they are? I know they do the Geico bikes but obviously we are talking about two completely different setups. Does anyone have this bike that has this same issue? How was your guys' experience with Factory Connection? Just trying to get some feedback on where else to look to have do my suspension.

Mike
I have a '15 CRF450 and had my suspension done by Factory Connection. My main concern was also how bad it was in chop at the top of the stroke. I'm sure there's a lot of good suspension guys that can fix this but the FC guys came through pretty well for me.
Junebug833
8/14/2015 3:05pm
Daystar99 wrote:
I have a '15 CRF450 and had my suspension done by Factory Connection. My main concern was also how bad it was in chop at the...
I have a '15 CRF450 and had my suspension done by Factory Connection. My main concern was also how bad it was in chop at the top of the stroke. I'm sure there's a lot of good suspension guys that can fix this but the FC guys came through pretty well for me.
I guess where I stand now is that I have already spent over $500 to get it revalved already and it didn't turn out as expected it actually doesn't feel any different at all and if I would send it to FC it will cost pretty close to $600 after shipping is taken care of so there is $1100 into a bike that still might not feel as good to me as I would like and I know that makes me sounds a little snobby but I feel that if you have an $8000 machine it should be the best it could be not just feel alright and be able to make it work. You get what I mean? Or do I just spend a good piece of money on the Ohlins kit that is proven and I know that I will like it?
jtiger12
8/14/2015 3:13pm
deez387 wrote:
Not sure if they would work, but the 08 from were 47mm. The 09-12 kyb forks are 48mm. If you can wait till Sunday, I'll hit the 08 forks with a caliper for you at the top and mid pinch. They have to be close

Post a reply to: 2015 CRF450r suspension

The Latest