2015.5 KTM Factory Edition Feedback

kiwifan
4/10/2015 10:40pm
Moto3731 wrote:
Right the hate that people have for and towards the people buying the bike is unreal. Bikes are expensive as is is what 2 grand more...
Right the hate that people have for and towards the people buying the bike is unreal. Bikes are expensive as is is what 2 grand more for the one you really want. I understand the people that are trying to get the cheapest deal... More power to them. But if I personally couldn't afford one I sure the hell would be pumped for the people who can rather that bashing them for spending the money. I guess haters are just gonna hate right?
If it was a Honda it would have been 'revolutionaire', 'the only brand that keeps refining their product', 'almost works bike', etc If it's a KTM...
If it was a Honda it would have been 'revolutionaire', 'the only brand that keeps refining their product', 'almost works bike', etc

If it's a KTM then it's an overrated, overly expensive POS with no added value.
what a load of rubbish
SLO1667
4/11/2015 12:40am
In 6-12 months, what will these FE's be worth on the used market? Regardless of brand, it can't be good.
Crush
4/11/2015 4:51am
SLO1667 wrote:
In 6-12 months, what will these FE's be worth on the used market? Regardless of brand, it can't be good.
They hold their value if you look on the market. There are dudes down here moving 2010/11 Cairoli bikes for 6-7.5K still. That's fucking ludicrous.

The Shop

Trav138
4/11/2015 5:12am
$2,300 to make a $9,000 motorcycle work properly? $11,300? Man that sounds like a lot of money. Especially since you can buy a Japanese bike and...
$2,300 to make a $9,000 motorcycle work properly? $11,300? Man that sounds like a lot of money. Especially since you can buy a Japanese bike and ride it out of the box . Power motor sports in Oregon is letting KX450's fly for mid $6,000's OTD I bought my KX250f for $5,700 otd Yamaha's $mid sevens . There is no way that thing is $4,000 better than the other 450's. I'm a big KTM fan and absolutely love what they are producing and have the money to do it but I just don't see any value whatsoever in that scenario, especially given the alternative.....I could possibly be swayed if they would put a freaking fork that just worked out of the box. How can they not figure this out?
Hey you can't have that opinion in this KTM lovefest thread lol.j/k
I do like the weight savings more than anything, hopefully everyone else follows
Digger29
4/11/2015 8:46am
I remember writing a month ago in a another 15.5 FE thread on here how disappointing it was to see all the hating on the buyer and bashing of the bike in general and I was immediately told to pump the brakes and nobody's ripping your purchase and to take it easy because we're all happy for you. I haven't been on here for 2 days and here it is again. I honestly don't understand all the bashing and criticizing about the purchase of the new FE's. The YZF450 is the only bike that you can really race right out the crate, the rest have suspensions issues just like the KTM. I paid just over $500 of the suggested retail of the new 15 450s and I'm going to keep the bike for 2 yrs and I'll do fine when I sell it. We all lose money when we sell our bikes so what the point here and why do some of you guys care so much. Heck I could sell it for one dollar in 2 yrs and it would be nobody's business but mine. The FE bike by nature has a premium to get it early. When you buy it you should know it's a cost that won't be recovered and I get that the 16's will be less expensive, but also might not have so much "bling." Nobody knows for sure what the 16 really is. Pretty much any serious rider puts money into upgrades. So that's a discussion that's irrelevant. I was at a local dealer buying the latest MXA mag the I walked by a new 15 YZF450 and the price on tag on the bike with sales tax, set up and delivery and the doc fees the out the door price was actually more than I paid for my bike.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/11/2015 9:25am
So the FE looks damn cool and better than the production bike BUT does it hurt sales of the production bike? I mean obviously the $$ is much more but if you were to wait until the fall can't you buy the FE as a 2016 production bike and for less cost?
4/11/2015 12:25pm
I don't know why that other dude jumped all over my post. I didn't pull the $2,300 number out of my ass, the other dude said his Dad was spending that on his suspension. I wasn't hating on KTooms. I am just a realist, I honestly couldn't give a shit what brand of bike I or anyone else rides. I really couldn't, as long as it performs out of the box and it doesn't need a shitload of BS upgrades just to get it to work for the average rider (which 99.9% of the posters on here are) I even get the higher price of the KTM's but the fact that more people than don't have issues with the forks, makes me question how they can miss the mark on that especially when they hit so many other things perfectly.
KTMShane699
4/11/2015 1:03pm
Ramrod wrote:
So the FE looks damn cool and better than the production bike BUT does it hurt sales of the production bike? I mean obviously the $$...
So the FE looks damn cool and better than the production bike BUT does it hurt sales of the production bike? I mean obviously the $$ is much more but if you were to wait until the fall can't you buy the FE as a 2016 production bike and for less cost?
I would say with a major change like this years it increases demand. Some people will see them and get to ride them and may just decide to buy orange before entertaining anything else and waiting for the releases. All well getting a premium for the early bikes. It's great marketing.

Shane
4/11/2015 1:32pm
I don't know why that other dude jumped all over my post. I didn't pull the $2,300 number out of my ass, the other dude said...
I don't know why that other dude jumped all over my post. I didn't pull the $2,300 number out of my ass, the other dude said his Dad was spending that on his suspension. I wasn't hating on KTooms. I am just a realist, I honestly couldn't give a shit what brand of bike I or anyone else rides. I really couldn't, as long as it performs out of the box and it doesn't need a shitload of BS upgrades just to get it to work for the average rider (which 99.9% of the posters on here are) I even get the higher price of the KTM's but the fact that more people than don't have issues with the forks, makes me question how they can miss the mark on that especially when they hit so many other things perfectly.
A few points-

- Have you ever made $4,000-10,000 dollars in one day? If you have, $2300 for suspension is laughable. It's relativity.

-Have you ever met someone with cancer? Or in a wheelchair? You can't take the money with you. It's to spend.

- Do you have disposable income? Do you know what that is? Do you know what that's for?

yak651
Fantasy
214th
4/11/2015 3:24pm
I don't know why that other dude jumped all over my post. I didn't pull the $2,300 number out of my ass, the other dude said...
Sorry, didn't mean to "jump over you". Just find it funny that people think you can't race this bike (or any KTM) out of the box without spending over $2k on the suspension at the local level.
Moto3731
4/11/2015 3:45pm
You know what's ridiculous too is everyone's judging how bad the 4cs fork is on the 15.5 Fe and I guarentee you 90 percent haven't even ridden the new bike. We all know there not perfect but no suspension is except for maybe the Yamaha's. People are so quick to judge just by what they hears someone else say and then it just gets told to the next person and so on. All I know is I'm going to race them just how they are and if I do really hate them then I'll tell you how bad they suck but at least it'll be coming from someone who owns the new bike and has raced with the new valveing on the 4cs rather than someone who just read about them in a forum.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/11/2015 8:01pm
Does Dungey winning make anyone want the new bike? "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"
Crush
4/11/2015 8:09pm
Ramrod wrote:
So the FE looks damn cool and better than the production bike BUT does it hurt sales of the production bike? I mean obviously the $$...
I would say with a major change like this years it increases demand. Some people will see them and get to ride them and may just...
I would say with a major change like this years it increases demand. Some people will see them and get to ride them and may just decide to buy orange before entertaining anything else and waiting for the releases. All well getting a premium for the early bikes. It's great marketing.

Shane
I don't think it does, it's a bit more cash, a different buyer and KTM doesn't care as it allows them to put Dungey on the now SX championship winning bike. Theoretically they've jumped a few years in development with this practice... Look at their 2010 standard bikes to now. In 5 years they've gone from Carburated, heavy, PDS, scary to lightest, fastest, best brakes, efi, electric start and SX title bike. That's crazy how much they've caught up.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/11/2015 8:14pm
Look at the way Andrew Short is riding this year. It's pretty obvious that the bike has an advantage right now.
4/11/2015 8:34pm
The new fe has an amazing feel with the new chassie, its very narrow between your knees and turns amazingly well, it turns like a suzuki now and their motors have always been amazing
Tim507
4/11/2015 10:21pm
The new fe has an amazing feel with the new chassie, its very narrow between your knees and turns amazingly well, it turns like a suzuki...
The new fe has an amazing feel with the new chassie, its very narrow between your knees and turns amazingly well, it turns like a suzuki now and their motors have always been amazing
This is definitely the truth. The FE250 It is so much fun to ride. The fun quotient reminds me of when I rode my first Penton in 1972....it took me awhile to run through my memories to figure it out.

My 97 Suzuki was also a lot of fun to ride and there was some pretty darn good races on that bike.....I had not yet run cerebral tapes of that bike in comparison to the FE. I will do that tomorrowWoohoo
slipdog
4/12/2015 3:57am
Tim507 wrote:
This is definitely the truth. The FE250 It is so much fun to ride. The fun quotient reminds me of when I rode my first Penton...
This is definitely the truth. The FE250 It is so much fun to ride. The fun quotient reminds me of when I rode my first Penton in 1972....it took me awhile to run through my memories to figure it out.

My 97 Suzuki was also a lot of fun to ride and there was some pretty darn good races on that bike.....I had not yet run cerebral tapes of that bike in comparison to the FE. I will do that tomorrowWoohoo
Funny, the last time I rode a new bike and thought it "felt" like my Honda was my first ride on my '96 rm 125.
4/12/2015 7:58am
It is funny that people are quick to bash the FE KTM. I agree with digger about most bikes needing suspension. I had a 09 kx250f and sent the suspension off to PC and swear to this day I have yet to get anything to work that good. It's apart of motorcycles. You buy a new bike then you have every right to put a shit ton of money into whatever it is without someone saying its a pile, even if they are streamers on the handle bar.

On another note isn't that what makes us motorcycle enthusiast? Getting what is close to a factory bike as possible? Having a sweet conversation piece at the races or in the garage with your buddy's? Having something you know that is as trick as they come and you have it in your garage. I for one think it's awesome and anyone who gets something like that I will be more than pumped for you because its why we love motorcycles.

Ps. I have a FE and I think it's one of the best 450s I have rode. And I'm not a "f@#%ing noob" I've been on here a very long time
mxjeff575
4/12/2015 8:05am
It is funny that people are quick to bash the FE KTM. I agree with digger about most bikes needing suspension. I had a 09 kx250f...
It is funny that people are quick to bash the FE KTM. I agree with digger about most bikes needing suspension. I had a 09 kx250f and sent the suspension off to PC and swear to this day I have yet to get anything to work that good. It's apart of motorcycles. You buy a new bike then you have every right to put a shit ton of money into whatever it is without someone saying its a pile, even if they are streamers on the handle bar.

On another note isn't that what makes us motorcycle enthusiast? Getting what is close to a factory bike as possible? Having a sweet conversation piece at the races or in the garage with your buddy's? Having something you know that is as trick as they come and you have it in your garage. I for one think it's awesome and anyone who gets something like that I will be more than pumped for you because its why we love motorcycles.

Ps. I have a FE and I think it's one of the best 450s I have rode. And I'm not a "f@#%ing noob" I've been on here a very long time
Well said (and well said Lawrence929 above too). Dirt bikes are nothing but a cash losing proposition. If you didn't ride and saved all this money in mutual funds, well, you'd have a number on a piece of paper showing all your money you had saved. The money spent riding is for the memories and the experiences. None of us are getting any younger, and looking back I don't regret a single dollar I have spent on this sport. Sorry...off topic I know.
The new FE's are frickin beautiful motorcycles, and we are lucky to get to see manufacturers put this kind of effort into dirt bikes !
Question - People keep saying the new KTM turns so well. Looking at MXA's info, the frame is much more compact, but I did not see a geometry difference. Anyone know any details?
Grieby54
4/12/2015 8:07am
I see a lot of people butt hurt about "KTM bashing" but no actual KTM bashing. Were posts deleted? All I see people saying is that they're super expensive. Is that incorrect? Disposable income or not, the bikes cost 50%-100% more than the Japanese bikes do. I'd call that super expensive, but then again the most I've bought a bike for is $4500. Is love to own a FE, though. Maybe in a few years...
SlowMoFo
4/12/2015 9:45am
that bike gets my knees weak.....until I remember the price tag!
SLO1667
4/12/2015 9:59am
Does Dungey winning make anyone want the new bike? "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"
Yamaha and Honda sales should be pretty robust on Monday
kiwifan
4/12/2015 12:18pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I see a lot of people butt hurt about "KTM bashing" but no actual KTM bashing. Were posts deleted? All I see people saying is that...
I see a lot of people butt hurt about "KTM bashing" but no actual KTM bashing. Were posts deleted? All I see people saying is that they're super expensive. Is that incorrect? Disposable income or not, the bikes cost 50%-100% more than the Japanese bikes do. I'd call that super expensive, but then again the most I've bought a bike for is $4500. Is love to own a FE, though. Maybe in a few years...
I made a comment about the FE suspension being pretty average for my riding level, so thats called KTM bashing...I also mentioned the price, again thats is apparently KTM bashing....even though I said it was a very good bike...so I need to be very careful what I say, I might get beaten up (good luck with them on that lol) :-)

but seriously you know the KTM guys are passionate about their bikes, most of the threads are about KTM and good on them....doesnt worry me in the slightest

KTMShane699
4/12/2015 1:39pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I see a lot of people butt hurt about "KTM bashing" but no actual KTM bashing. Were posts deleted? All I see people saying is that...
I call bullshit on your 50-100% more than other bikes. MSRP on a 2015 Honda CRF450 is $8699. MSRP on the factory edition is $10,200. By my math that makes it about 17% (ish) more expensive assuming you pay full retail for both. And since those are the only concrete comprison numbers, they're the only ones that matter.

How is it that people here so horrible at basic math? The bikes are NOT double the cost of a Japanese bike. The "double" cost argument is getting old. At least argue your point using real information, not regurgitating false ones. When you do that, the whole argument is void.

Shane
4/12/2015 1:50pm
mxjeff575 wrote:
Well said (and well said Lawrence929 above too). Dirt bikes are nothing but a cash losing proposition. If you didn't ride and saved all this money...
Well said (and well said Lawrence929 above too). Dirt bikes are nothing but a cash losing proposition. If you didn't ride and saved all this money in mutual funds, well, you'd have a number on a piece of paper showing all your money you had saved. The money spent riding is for the memories and the experiences. None of us are getting any younger, and looking back I don't regret a single dollar I have spent on this sport. Sorry...off topic I know.
The new FE's are frickin beautiful motorcycles, and we are lucky to get to see manufacturers put this kind of effort into dirt bikes !
Question - People keep saying the new KTM turns so well. Looking at MXA's info, the frame is much more compact, but I did not see a geometry difference. Anyone know any details?
I have a 2013 ktm 250sx and when you set them side by side the FE looks way more compact. I'm 6'5" so I am very meticulous about how my body/knee position is when I'm setting on the bike. It does feel more compact but I don't notice it as bad as i thought in my knees. I actually feel more comfortable on it then it's counterpart. The turning is what made the FE stand out to me (been a kawi guy for years), and the power delivery. Smooth as it comes.
SLO1667
4/12/2015 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2015 2:50pm
Grieby54 wrote:
I call bullshit on your 50-100% more than other bikes. MSRP on a 2015 Honda CRF450 is $8699. MSRP on the factory edition is $10,200. By...
I call bullshit on your 50-100% more than other bikes. MSRP on a 2015 Honda CRF450 is $8699. MSRP on the factory edition is $10,200. By my math that makes it about 17% (ish) more expensive assuming you pay full retail for both. And since those are the only concrete comprison numbers, they're the only ones that matter.

How is it that people here so horrible at basic math? The bikes are NOT double the cost of a Japanese bike. The "double" cost argument is getting old. At least argue your point using real information, not regurgitating false ones. When you do that, the whole argument is void.

Shane
only one flaw with your theory. Everyone that I know has paid significantly higher than MSRP for their KTM FE's, whereas, everyone that I know with CRF's has paid quite a bit less than MSRP for their bikes.

Case in point, first post on page 7 of this thread.

That said, your assumptions are blind.
KTMShane699
4/12/2015 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2015 3:17pm
SLO1667 wrote:
only one flaw with your theory. Everyone that I know has paid significantly higher than MSRP for their KTM FE's, whereas, everyone that I know with...
only one flaw with your theory. Everyone that I know has paid significantly higher than MSRP for their KTM FE's, whereas, everyone that I know with CRF's has paid quite a bit less than MSRP for their bikes.

Case in point, first post on page 7 of this thread.

That said, your assumptions are blind.
Houses sell for $1 all the time among family members, so I guess if we paid more than that we've all overpaid. I'm sure we all know people who overpaid for a house.

Just because someone paid more than MSRP, doesn't make it worth it. I wouldn't pay more than MSRP, and neither would most. The first post on page seven represents capitalism where a dealer is trying to make extra money on the sale. If they find someone willing to pay it, great. It doesn't represent the value of the product by the manufacturer.

MSRP is the value set by the manufacturer. It's probably the best indicator of value for comparison purposes.

Especially if you want to talk nationwide sales (you know, like the value of a product on a national level and not regional), to count your areas "market value adjustment" further flaws your argument.

Again, MSRP would be the standard price to value a new bike at.

Shane
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/12/2015 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2015 4:23pm
For any of you guys who have the bike... Today I removed the backfire screen on the filter cage. Let her breath a little more..

The screen is molded into the plastic.

Clip the screen with wire cutters.

Then I used a file to knock off all the little wires sticking out.

Hit the plastic with some sand paper to get it all clean up.

The most important thing is to clean the cage super well and make sure there's absolutely no metal wires hanging that could fall off.
4/12/2015 4:34pm
@carlinojoe317 not sure if its the same as the new fe, but in years past u could use the cage off the 2stroke model, which is ard $10, either way it worked out great for u

Post a reply to: 2015.5 KTM Factory Edition Feedback

The Latest