2014 KTM250SX Race Bike Build

1/14/2015 7:06am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 6:31pm
Finally came to my senses and went back to a 2 stroke, I picked up a leftover 2014 250SX. Here is some progress of the build !

|
h&m_cycle
1/14/2015 7:30am
too clean to ride, very nice
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
1/14/2015 7:40am
nice bike, the flo plastic looks sic in person.
I don't think that's the flo, mine looks wacky in pics. Awesome bike!! I'm still perfecting my leftover '13 haha

The Shop

1/14/2015 7:57am
There not the flow plastics just the lighting in the pictures throwing it off a little. I debated on going that route but went OEM instead to match the Motohose orange hose kit and other orange pieces I got.

Thanks for the comments more pictures to come as parts arrive, Here is a shot of Podium 1 Premium Suspenson Stage 3 with their works resivor bladder kit.

Digger29
1/14/2015 8:08am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 9:50am
Looks really really good so far. You should consider a 38mm carb and a Vforce 4. Those things combined with the Bill's Pipe combo (in my opinion) the best pipe available for the KTM 250SX will make your bike an absolute rocket. Your buddy's on 450's will be hating you on it :-)
newmann
1/14/2015 8:19am
Looking good! Care to share with us your experience on removal of the coolant t pipe? I see you got it out!Smile I left mine in before I ruined it, but I painted my frame instead of powder coating. Keep the pics coming!
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
1/14/2015 9:02am
LOL, if you broke the T-piece dont tell a soul!!!

Get the Suzuki needle thats been discussed here a lot, its 11 bucks and makes a big difference.
1/14/2015 9:15am
Love it! I like how u went with a black airbox. I hate the white airbox, but its a bitch to change. I did it on my 12, and the airbox cover was never the same lol. I have a 15 250sx im building and will be putting it togeather shortly. Listen to digger, he has these bikes dialed!
Digger29
1/14/2015 9:55am
Rob, I never ended up using the black airbox that I bought so if you want it I'll sell it to you cheap.
Spooner
1/14/2015 9:57am
Awesome! I will be doing the same thing to the 250xc I just bought in the next week or so.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
1/14/2015 10:54am
Awesome build! I'm doing something similar to my TC250.
Cadpro18
1/14/2015 10:55am
newmann wrote:
Looking good! Care to share with us your experience on removal of the coolant t pipe? I see you got it out!:) I left mine in...
Looking good! Care to share with us your experience on removal of the coolant t pipe? I see you got it out!Smile I left mine in before I ruined it, but I painted my frame instead of powder coating. Keep the pics coming!
Turn a piece of bar stock down to .620" diameter. Chuck it up in a 3-jaw indexing head and machine 3 grooves, indexed 120 degrees apart, 2.5" in length, using a 1/16" endmill. Drill a hole in the exposed end to insert a rod, making it a T-handle.
Removes coolant pipe in 15 seconds with no deformation.

1/14/2015 11:01am
Digger29 wrote:
Looks really really good so far. You should consider a 38mm carb and a Vforce 4. Those things combined with the Bill's Pipe combo (in my...
Looks really really good so far. You should consider a 38mm carb and a Vforce 4. Those things combined with the Bill's Pipe combo (in my opinion) the best pipe available for the KTM 250SX will make your bike an absolute rocket. Your buddy's on 450's will be hating you on it :-)
I agree on the Bills Pipes the system looks and fits amazing I cannot wait to ride it. I have had great success with their systems in the past.

The 38mm Carb and Vforce might happen in the near future but want to ride the motor relitively stock at first besides the pipe so I can feel the difference when I make changes to it.

I would also have to decide not to ride anymore of the Canadian Pro Nationals. We are aloud to run 250 2 strokes in the MX2 or 250F class but at the national level we are not aloud to modify anything from the Airbox boot to the exhaust port (Has to be OEM spec). Jetting and tuning are obvioulsy allowed but as for performance the pipe is about all we are aloud.

I am at the point now working 9-5 Mon-Fri and having a kid of my own that running at that level is out of reach so the Carb mod and Vforce might come sooner then later since our regional pro class is run as a open class and I line up with 450's....hahahaha

P.S. Digger your bikes were one of the reasons I went back to my roots and bought a new 250SX
1/14/2015 11:04am
newmann wrote:
Looking good! Care to share with us your experience on removal of the coolant t pipe? I see you got it out!:) I left mine in...
Cadpro18 wrote:
Turn a piece of bar stock down to .620" diameter. Chuck it up in a 3-jaw indexing head and machine 3 grooves, indexed 120 degrees apart...
Turn a piece of bar stock down to .620" diameter. Chuck it up in a 3-jaw indexing head and machine 3 grooves, indexed 120 degrees apart, 2.5" in length, using a 1/16" endmill. Drill a hole in the exposed end to insert a rod, making it a T-handle.

KTM Also makes a tool you can buy if you dont the ability or connections to make the tool.
Cadpro18
1/14/2015 11:14am
KTM Also makes a tool you can buy if you dont the ability or connections to make the tool.
True, but the KTM tool has very little engagement length and can bugger the splines on the tougher-to-remove pipes. Works better than an allen key though.
plynn41
1/14/2015 12:34pm
I just bought my 16 year old boy a '12 250SX that came with the Dick's Racing Intelajet mod and PC pipe and silencer. I couldn't believe it when I rode it, and the boy absolutely loves it. We never rode the stock motor, so don't have anything to compare it to, but it's faster from top to bottom than any 250t I've ever been on.
1/14/2015 8:01pm
looks killer. I'd like to hear a review from ya on the Bills Pipes after you got moto it.
1/16/2015 3:53am
looks killer. I'd like to hear a review from ya on the Bills Pipes after you got moto it.
I will definatley write a review once I get on the bike, I also have plans to put an offset triple clamps and steering dampener set up from Ride Engineering so it will be good to see how it handles with the Podium 1 suspension compared to my Suzuki's.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
1/16/2015 5:07am
Digger, I know you tried every pipe, what are your thoughts between the FMF vs Bills systems?

I have FMF at the moument.
reded
1/16/2015 5:15am
Markee wrote:
Digger, I know you tried every pipe, what are your thoughts between the FMF vs Bills systems?

I would like to know the characteristics of the Bills pipe vs. the PC and FMF as well.
Digger29
1/16/2015 6:38am
Markee wrote:

In my opinion there is just no comparison between the Bill's and the FMF. The FMF factory fatty is a nice pipe but it's not that much better than the stocker and it's hits hard. The PC and Bill's would be the pipes that you're looking for if you're looking for the longest spread and the most top end. The PC and Bill's both have a smoother delivery than the FMF and they both rip up top and the Bill's revs even a little further than the PC pipe but they're both great options for the 250/300SX,XC
Digger29
1/16/2015 6:45am
Digger29 wrote:
Looks really really good so far. You should consider a 38mm carb and a Vforce 4. Those things combined with the Bill's Pipe combo (in my...
I agree on the Bills Pipes the system looks and fits amazing I cannot wait to ride it. I have had great success with their systems...
I agree on the Bills Pipes the system looks and fits amazing I cannot wait to ride it. I have had great success with their systems in the past.

The 38mm Carb and Vforce might happen in the near future but want to ride the motor relitively stock at first besides the pipe so I can feel the difference when I make changes to it.

I would also have to decide not to ride anymore of the Canadian Pro Nationals. We are aloud to run 250 2 strokes in the MX2 or 250F class but at the national level we are not aloud to modify anything from the Airbox boot to the exhaust port (Has to be OEM spec). Jetting and tuning are obvioulsy allowed but as for performance the pipe is about all we are aloud.

I am at the point now working 9-5 Mon-Fri and having a kid of my own that running at that level is out of reach so the Carb mod and Vforce might come sooner then later since our regional pro class is run as a open class and I line up with 450's....hahahaha

P.S. Digger your bikes were one of the reasons I went back to my roots and bought a new 250SX
Thank you very much. Don't hate me but I'm getting a new 15.5 450 factory edition. I love being the rebel on the 2 stroke and I absolutely love the sound and smell but at this point in my life I just need a bike that is easier to ride and by all accounts given to me from our KTM rep got to ride the 450 and 250 FE's in November. He said that the new FE 450 is the bike for me and that it feels like a 2 stroke on the track. He said it felt 25lbs lighter than his 14.5 FE450 and almost felt like a 150SX on the track it was so light and flickable.
Bruce372
1/16/2015 8:23am
newmann wrote:
Cadpro18 wrote:
Turn a piece of bar stock down to .620" diameter. Chuck it up in a 3-jaw indexing head and machine 3 grooves, indexed 120 degrees apart...

hey cadpro- what tracks do you ride in IL/IN/WI???

I live in gurnee, and my goto machine shop just moved out of the area, are you a machinist facility???

that tool looks cool!!
Cadpro18
1/16/2015 8:58am
Bruce372 wrote:
hey cadpro- what tracks do you ride in IL/IN/WI??? I live in gurnee, and my goto machine shop just moved out of the area, are you...

I live in gurnee, and my goto machine shop just moved out of the area, are you a machinist facility???

that tool looks cool!!
I mostly ride/race at Motosports Park 3-4 times a week... got a toy hauler on a permanent site there. My go-to moto shop is TZR in Algonquin. That's a tool I made for TZR. I'm a full service manufacturing facility- design/engineering, reverse engineering, CNC turning, 4 & 5-axis milling, grinding,etc. Thanks
Bruce372
1/16/2015 10:12pm
Bruce372 wrote:
hey cadpro- what tracks do you ride in IL/IN/WI??? I live in gurnee, and my goto machine shop just moved out of the area, are you...

that tool looks cool!!
Cadpro18 wrote:
I mostly ride/race at Motosports Park 3-4 times a week... got a toy hauler on a permanent site there. My go-to moto shop is TZR in...
I mostly ride/race at Motosports Park 3-4 times a week... got a toy hauler on a permanent site there. My go-to moto shop is TZR in Algonquin. That's a tool I made for TZR. I'm a full service manufacturing facility- design/engineering, reverse engineering, CNC turning, 4 & 5-axis milling, grinding,etc. Thanks
cool man!!! i ride out motoland and LTMX quite a bit, ive been out to ki recently too, but i havent been to byron since it was redone.

a couple of my buds have TZR suspension and love it!
1/26/2015 7:56am
Got my Acerbis X-Grip frame guards mounted up last night, really happy with the fit and appearance of these, close look to grip tape without the hassel of changing it every time you ride. Just waiting on my front end and wheel set up to make it role again.

hvaughn88
1/26/2015 8:08am
Looking badass! Can't wait to give it a look when it's all wrapped up
2/23/2015 7:44am
Just waiting on my bars and steering damper to finish up the front end.

Huge thanks to Pro Wheel Racing components for the trick wheel setup and Ride engineering for the 19mm offset rubber mount T-Clamps, Steering Damper bracket, and Honda Rear axel conversion. Cant wait to ride this set up and see the finished bike !

Tuck812
2/23/2015 7:58am
Looks awesome nice work !! I love mine with the 38mm carb and pro circuit pipe shorty silencer and red spring.

Post a reply to: 2014 KTM250SX Race Bike Build

The Latest