Seat of the panties 2014 KTM 350SX-F Review

RobKacp
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2013 1:58pm
So RupertX inspired me to put down my thoughts on my new 2014 KTM 350 SX.

First (and probably most important) I'm a 43 year old vet rider, 185 lbs - not terribly fast or bright, but what the hell. I can ride and I like beer.

I bought the 350SX after kicking my 11 RMZ-250 to the curb when it started to randomly find neutral under acceleration and pitched me over the bars for the last time.

My son (a very wise and opinionated 50 rider) convinced me that I absolutely had to get a KTM, so I started looking and was able to buy one for right at 8100 bucks (+taxes, etc). Got her home and looking this bike over - the "fit and finish" is first class. The footpegs rock; they're much bigger than my RMZ's pegs and sharper. The airbox no-tool design is pretty sweet, but getting the filter back in place is a little bit of a struggle. Torque specs are embossed on the triple clamps. Very cool! Removing and replacing the seat is a minor PITA to get it lined up as the bolt is goes through the bottom of the rear fender and my t-handle barely fits between the seat and the rear tire. Compression clickers on the forks are finger-knobs, no screwdriver needed. Comes with MX-51s and pyramid (painful) grips. Set the sag easily enough, but I can imagine destroying the plastic?!? retaining ring with my punch pretty quickly.

I thought e-start was for wussies, but I gotta say its awesome. Nothing like kicking an RMZ a random number of times to start....click the little button and she fires right up. Takes about 5 seconds cold, no time hot. For moto-dads this is the hot ticket when your mini-pilot hits the deck on his 50. Pop the e-start and you're there in no time flat.

Rode the bike initially on the cycle ranch night (SX style) track. Broke her in like I stole her, then started hitting things. Suspension seemed pretty good. A little harsh at 10 clicks comp front and rear from factory - backed it out to 14 eventually, comp and rebound, front and rear, and it fit my old/slow style pretty well. Bottomed on the biggest stuff, but overall was fairly smooth and predictable.

Handling was pretty neutral. Goes where I put the bike reliably and doesn't have any odd traits. The bike won't quite turn in like the RMZ, but what will? Tracks ruts well.

Brakes are good - I daresay the RMZ front brake was a little better than the Brembo on the KTM. Hydraulic clutch is buttery smooth but not as slight a pull as I expected. About on the level of my prior 250F.

Power...interesting. MXA said it rides like a big 250 and not a mellow 450. I agree. Low end and midrange are softer than I expected. Swapped to a 51 tooth rear and that seemed to help liven things up out of corners. No problem carrying some of the obstacles that gave me a pretty tight pucker on a 250, but doesnt have the grunt of a 450 in the midrange. Top end...rare that I operate in the 10K+ range, but a buddy and I did some simulated starts. He rides a massaged YZF 450 and the 350sx stayed right with him. Of course that could be the 50 lb weight difference between us more than the bike. Your mileage may vary.

What's it need? A faster rider first, then maybe a pipe. I understand the Yosh pipe adds some grunt to the low and mid. I have also been told the factory services intake cam is a good addition.

|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/16/2013 7:23am
Nice review and sweet bike for sure.

This could be a new segment here "seat of the panties review". It should include getting bike home, getting drunkened, staring at the bike all night, then riding next day to sweat out the hangover.
newmann
9/16/2013 7:29am
Sounds good Rob. "I can ride and like beer".Laughing You need my graphics for the rear fender, especially being in Texas.

And one of these X-Trig preload adjusters for the rear shock. 8mm socket or T handle is all that's required to adjust!

I got one of the Twin Air aluminum filter cages for mine. Makes life easier and less potential of sucking dirt if you don't get that stock cage seated in properly. It is definitely an "acquired" feel with the stocker.

newmann
9/16/2013 7:30am
You have to get the correct filter with the Twin Air billet frame. Has holes to match up with the pins on the frame.
RobKacp
9/16/2013 7:38am
That's some trick stuff, Newmann. Particularly the shiner sticker. I'm adding those to the to-do list.

The Shop

9/16/2013 9:42am
very nice! I must say the''button is truly amazing''. as u get older these 4 strokes are a bitch to kick. I have a 13 ktm 450sxf, and road a 13 kx 450 and 13 rmz 450 back to back this weekend, and forgot how much of a pain in the ass these pigs are to start lol! best of luck! great choice going orange!
Rupert X
9/16/2013 10:24am
Gnarly con carne! Seven (7) orange thumbs up.
9/16/2013 4:40pm
newmann wrote:
You have to get the correct filter with the Twin Air billet frame. Has holes to match up with the pins on the frame.
Yeah isn't it easier to just get the sx cage?
mynewcr250
9/16/2013 4:53pm
newmann wrote:
Yeah isn't it easier to just get the sx cage?
its easier to just use your eyeballs when you install the filter, then theres no need for an aftermarket setup
9/16/2013 4:56pm
Easy on the chest beating bro. You missed the point, its to get the cage without the backfire screen.
RobKacp
12/20/2013 1:49pm
Some follow up on the 350 - its been 3 months now. Suspension has been done on both ends - increased the compression dampening on the front primarily. This has helped quite a bit with the ability to soak up big hits and paradoxically made the front end feel less harsh.

Second, Derek Harris at Harris Performance (HPbikes.com) did some head work on the bike - see the dyno sheet. Plenty of untapped potential in these bikes. Torque curves are - red: stock head with FMF Ti pipe and can, Blue is massaged head with stock pipe and FMF can, and Yellow is massaged head with full FMF system. We felt like the stock pipe with FMF can had the best torque curve for a Vet so that's the way I am gonna ride it. 55 Hp at ~10,000 RPM. Obviously all dynos are different, but the improvement is certainly there.

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
12/20/2013 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2013 1:59pm
I can review the 2014 300xc 2 stroke on the next warm day here in Colorado. I'm sure a lot of the 2 stroke guys would like to know. I'm loving the switch from 4 stroke to 2 stroke.

Post a reply to: Seat of the panties 2014 KTM 350SX-F Review

The Latest