2013 ktm 250sxf/ warms up then shuts off!

Hey guys I just recently got a ktm 250sxf, long story short! The bike starts rite up, but when it heats up it’ll cut off, wait 10 min and it’ll fire back up, previous owner ran racefuel but informed me that running pump gas would be ok also! So I put pump gas in and it and started cutting off, while riding, dumped old gas out, filled with race fuel and replaced the small fuel filter... ran sea foam and still cutting off when it warms up! I’m also running engine ice, (topped off) changed oil, and oil filter, if I start it up and just ride it it’s fine with the exception of I have to keep Reving it when slowing down! I’ve also adjusted the throttle cable play?? Took it to dealer and valve adjustment was fine, it’s driving me crazy I’ve wanted a ktm so bad but it’s costing me so much money and time I’m ready to switch back to yz, can anybody help??
|
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
9/7/2018 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 1:54pm
Basics..fuel or ignition. Which is the problem..

Sounds like an electrical issue..Have you confirmed if you have spark after it "cuts off"?
Paw Paw 271
9/7/2018 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 2:18pm
These are know to get kinks in the fuel pump line at the pump. It will reduce the flow of fuel. There was a recall by KTM for this issue.
Check the fuel pump and filter too.
Also check the tank vent. If not working correctly it will reduce the flow of fuel. Then when it sets for a while it have allowed enough fuel to flow to run for a few minutes.
Check the coil OHMs on the primary side as it could be breaking down if that reading is too low.

Paw Paw
DA498
9/7/2018 2:21pm
Take a peek at the stator, ive had similar symptoms and stator was fried.
9/7/2018 2:44pm
Both of those are good possibilities. Assuuming it's an EFI model? It could also be a temp sensor issue so check those as well

The Shop

resetjet
9/7/2018 3:30pm
These are know to get kinks in the fuel pump line at the pump. It will reduce the flow of fuel. There was a recall by...
These are know to get kinks in the fuel pump line at the pump. It will reduce the flow of fuel. There was a recall by KTM for this issue.
Also check the tank vent. If not working correctly it will reduce the flow of fuel. Then when it sets for a while it have allowed enough fuel to flow to run for a few minutes.
Check the coil OHMs on the primary side as it could be breaking down if that reading is too low.

Paw Paw
I have this bike and the above is my guess as well. You are using the fuel up thats in the line.
9/7/2018 4:29pm
These are know to get kinks in the fuel pump line at the pump. It will reduce the flow of fuel. There was a recall by...

Paw Paw
resetjet wrote:
I have this bike and the above is my guess as well. You are using the fuel up thats in the line.
I came across this problem on a 2015 model and it is due to the MX model using the same in tank pump assembly as the off road models which have a deeper tank hence longer hoses. Pulling it out and checking for kinks is free and a good place to start. I fixed the issue by fitting shorter hose. Just make sure it's rated correctly and use the same type new pinch clamps which can be done up using cheap bull nose pincers
9/8/2018 12:52am
Brad460 wrote:
Basics..fuel or ignition. Which is the problem..

Sounds like an electrical issue..Have you confirmed if you have spark after it "cuts off"?
Only thing I did was replace the inline fuel filter, but if the line is not working ect wouldn’t it not start at all???
9/8/2018 12:57am
DA498 wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking because I can start it and ride it regular, then if I stop to let it idle, it’ll stop! But then it’ll fire rite back up
9/8/2018 1:02am
DA498 wrote:
This is about the only thing I didn’t think of! Good idea
9/8/2018 1:11am
All of these are really good ideas but a fuel pump and fuel injectors is over 300$ mabee parts, I mean I just don’t have that kind of money to throw at it and hope ya know, although I appreciate the responses I wonder, it has to be someone that has had this kind of problem before and could lead me in the rite direction, so I guess I’ll try the stator, then the fuel pump and if that Dont work I guess I’ll try the injectioors, crossed fingers!!!
RCF
9/8/2018 8:14am
All of these are really good ideas but a fuel pump and fuel injectors is over 300$ mabee parts, I mean I just don’t have that...
All of these are really good ideas but a fuel pump and fuel injectors is over 300$ mabee parts, I mean I just don’t have that kind of money to throw at it and hope ya know, although I appreciate the responses I wonder, it has to be someone that has had this kind of problem before and could lead me in the rite direction, so I guess I’ll try the stator, then the fuel pump and if that Dont work I guess I’ll try the injectioors, crossed fingers!!!
Aftermarket fuel pumps are only about $100, the injector can be cleaned, if you replacing the in tank fuel lines make sure you use gas line that's able to be submerged in gas ,Napa sells it for about $30.00 a foot.
Rhody
9/8/2018 8:37am
Ok, I don't know details of KTM ignitions, but if there is anywhere that water can get at the system, check that, this s includes the magneto, triggers, anything. If there is water in the system, it may be pooling when cold, but when the engine gets hot the water will turn to steam and the steam provides a short circuit route. Engine cools, steam condenses, engine runs, gets hot water flashes to vapor, engine dies. I had this problem with a V8 with a mag. If the KTM has coil packs this is probably not the problem (but may be)
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
9/8/2018 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 12:09pm
Going back to my first post...is it lacking fuel or spark?! When it dies immediately check for spark..if there is spark it’s likely a fuel issue...

OR just start replacing everything mentioned above all at once..Laughing
Paw Paw 271
9/8/2018 12:56pm
Why just stand back and throw money at the problem with out first testing and doing the Free things first.
Free things...Test the fuel tank vent hose.
Test the coil.
Look at the fuel line to the pump.
Look at the fuel filter on the pump.
Check the temp sensor.

Paw Paw
9/8/2018 1:08pm
Listen to Paw Paw. All you need is a multimeter and the service manual. Knowing how to use a multimeter to test various ohm resistances and voltages on components to compare against the spec in the service manual is a must for anyone with a modern 4 stroke - unless you like paying other people lots of money
9/8/2018 2:52pm
Brad460 wrote:
Going back to my first post...is it lacking fuel or spark?! When it dies immediately check for spark..if there is spark it’s likely a fuel issue...

OR just start replacing everything mentioned above all at once..Laughing
Well, I don’t think so because after it cuts off, it’ll start rite back up, also if I start it and drive off it’ll ride for hours, but the min I stop giving it gas itll shut down, so what ever the throttle pushes fuel too is not working? TPS, it’s currently in the shop now but he still don’t know, (as of now) dude this is really making me hate ktm!!!
9/8/2018 2:54pm
Also after I rode it forcefully for an hour (keep gassing it and riding it basically keeping it alive) after I stopped smoke comes out of the coolant over flow tube
mister2dt
9/8/2018 3:18pm
Also after I rode it forcefully for an hour (keep gassing it and riding it basically keeping it alive) after I stopped smoke comes out of...
Also after I rode it forcefully for an hour (keep gassing it and riding it basically keeping it alive) after I stopped smoke comes out of the coolant over flow tube
Sounds like you have deeper issues than fuel or spark.. sounds like you have a water leak. Blown head gasket, cracked head, something along those lines causing a boil over. Water will kill spark and in turn, no idle
RCF
9/8/2018 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 3:22pm
It could be just his TPS is bad or out of adjustment which would cause a lean condition and make the bike overheat. And it would cause the same problem as he's describing.
BRX-WRX
9/8/2018 5:48pm
I had 3 2013 KTM customers (1 250 & 2 350) with similar problems. All 3 of them had plugged up fuel injectors. they barely had any spray and the 6 outside holes nothing. They have 7 holes, 1 in center (slightly bigger) and 6 outer (3 above center and 3 below. They also had a update for the inline filters (original filters were to restrictive) Had to replace 1 fuel pump (350). I also noticed the fuel line in tank that loops over to the lower right side kinking. I was able to add zip ties to fuel lines to hold lines from kinking. I have also had guys (different) bikes that said their bike would die 10,15 20min.later and then start and run and repeat. their problem was caused by some cheap shorty cap vents. The vents did not allow enough air back in tank. When I removed the fill cap I heard the swoosh and the tank would grow back out. I agree with all the things above guys telling you to check.. MB
Theneil300
9/8/2018 5:51pm
Had those symptoms after chasing the problem for a while it turned out the rings were seized in the ring lands and lost compression when hot
resetjet
9/8/2018 6:21pm
i have the service manual for this bike in PDF format. PM if you need it.
BRX-WRX
9/9/2018 12:54am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 12:55am
And yes, your bike will get & run HOT with the injector symptoms I described above.MB
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/9/2018 9:24pm
Make sure if you use engine ice, don’t mix with water or other coolant as it will gel up.

Sounds like injector needs to be cleaned, fuel filters also.

Post a reply to: 2013 ktm 250sxf/ warms up then shuts off!

The Latest