2013 ktm 250sx

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2012 10:01 AM

Digger, i got a 12 wit a 300sx kit n mx tech suspension. Truely an amazing bike!

|

9/20/2012 10:11 AM

Digger29 wrote:

I got mine last Wednesday & I love it.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

I do like the front and rear fenders better than my 12 model.

|

12 KTM 250SX
09 CR500AF
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125XC

9/20/2012 3:10 PM

back in my day people used to compare 250 smokers to 450's..... whatever happened to that?

|

9/20/2012 4:12 PM

MXBOY2661 wrote:

Digger, i got a 12 wit a 300sx kit n mx tech suspension. Truely an amazing bike!

I'm very curious about your 300 kit. Can I call you & pick your brain for a few minutes? MIke

|

9/20/2012 5:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2012 5:17 PM

8686 wrote:

Did Ricky Carmichael not ride an RM250 in the 2005 Supercross series and win the championship?

And how far where the 4strokes then? They where heavy and slow turds compared to the current 4t's. You can't compare a 450 from this day to a 250 2t... Your argument on why they can be is just plain stupid.

|

9/20/2012 5:49 PM

Katoom72 wrote:

And how far where the 4strokes then? They where heavy and slow turds compared to the current 4t's. You can't compare a 450 from this day to a 250 2t... Your argument on why they can be is just plain stupid.

Heavy?....slow?...I beg to differ. The 03 YZF450 I rode back in the day was friggin FAAAST...and pretty sure it was lighter than the new crop of 450's. I'm a 2 stroke guy through and through, but that old YZF was insanely fast!!

|

9/20/2012 7:10 PM

Dirtysmile56 wrote:

It seems like a lot left to be desired in the suspension dept. Do you think it will handle better than the Rm when finished ? If so how much money total invested with purchase and all upgrades will you have into it when dialed? $8,000-$10,000k ? This is what is slowing me down from jumping into a new $7,000 bike that needs a grand + in upgrades just to get it to work right. Are you going to sell that RM?

I don't know him, but from reading his post he seems like he spends a lot of time testing/modifying his bikes and is a fast rider. I would think he would spend that amount of time and money on any bike he buys. Most typical buyers won't need to stick a grand into the KTM to be satisified with the bike

|

9/21/2012 8:50 AM

yak651 wrote:

I don't know him, but from reading his post he seems like he spends a lot of time testing/modifying his bikes and is a fast rider. I would think he would spend that amount of time and money on any bike he buys. Most typical buyers won't need to stick a grand into the KTM to be satisified with the bike

I understand that but it seems to me that most of the newer Japanese bikes work pretty darn well out of the crate with the exception of some spring rate and clicker changes. I rode several of the 2013 KTM's last Monday at Washougal and all of the bikes suspension was the definition of the word HARSH! With the exception of the suspenders I did like the power of the bikes especially that 150sx! It was by far the most fun bike I rode but being 200lbs it wouldn't be a good fit for me. I will never buy a 450 again so the next logical choice would be the 250sx 2 stroke but I don't want to have to sink a $1,000 bucks into suspension on a $7-$8k brand new bike. I currently ride an 07 RMZ250 that I am just too heavy for. It's time to go back to the 250 smoker for me. I've been posting c's list ads looking for a 05 or newer Rm250 or an 04 or newer Yz . (I really liked that 2004 Yz last year of the steel frame)

|

Patrick Trowbridge

9/21/2012 9:22 AM

Katoom72 wrote:

You don't think the 2013 KTM 250SX is any better than 250 2-strokes from 8 years ago?

Oh, and the newer 4t's are still heavy and slow turds.

|

9/21/2012 10:21 AM

Look how much faster the 250 two strokes are in this race...

Remember that San Diego race the same season where every single 4 stroke got lapped???

The really funny thing about it is that the announce a tards who've bee paid to hype the 4 stonks keep talking about them as if they are suddenly going to come from 2 miles back and "make a pass...."

yeah.... right....

|

9/21/2012 10:30 AM

FourFooptyF wrote:

Look how much faster the 250 two strokes are in this race...

Remember that San Diego race the same season where every single 4 stroke got lapped???

The really funny thing about it is that the announce a tards who've bee paid to hype the 4 stonks keep talking about them as if they are suddenly going to come from 2 miles back and "make a pass...."

yeah.... right....

Mcgrath was still on the 250 later than the others... he said something to the effect of, "they are building the jumps closer to the corner to where the four stroke is almost a must..."

It's a conspiracy, man.

|

9/21/2012 11:02 AM

Well... I don't know about that since the race I just linked to is from 2005, the last year that McGrath appeared in a notable amount of races.

It's easy to see that the 2 strokes continued to beat the Foop right out of the 4 stonks until all the contracts and pay checks were written so that any rider who was getting paid had to be on a 4 stonk.

|

9/21/2012 11:25 AM

FourFooptyF wrote:

Well... I don't know about that since the race I just linked to is from 2005, the last year that McGrath appeared in a notable amount of races.

It's easy to see that the 2 strokes continued to beat the Foop right out of the 4 stonks until all the contracts and pay checks were written so that any rider who was getting paid had to be on a 4 stonk.

No, it was the next year I believe... 06. All the big players jumped to 450 and MC and DV stayed behind. DV said "the four stroke is Fashionable. That's why it's popular."

MC pulled that holeshot and nac nac'd the first triple. Cause Chuck norris had a MC 2 lunchbox and shit.

|

9/21/2012 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2012 11:46 AM

FourFooptyF wrote:

Lawrence929 wrote:

No, it was the next year I believe... 06. All the big players jumped to 450 and MC and DV stayed behind. DV said "the four stroke is Fashionable. That's why it's popular."

MC pulled that holeshot and nac nac'd the first triple. Cause Chuck norris had a MC 2 lunchbox and shit.

Reed briefly tested the YZ250 before the start of the '06 season. From what I read, he rode it a few laps and put it back on the stand, where it would remain for the rest of the year.

In addition, at the end of the 05' season, Stewart said he would quit unless Kawasaki got him off of that KX250 and on a four stroke.

|

9/21/2012 12:31 PM

Yeah, because his paycheck in 06 would've read ($$$[Fill in the blank.00]) if he rode the Pooper and if would read ($0.00) if he rode the 2 stroke. Because neither Yamaha, nor any other Fooper Factory would pay anyone to ride a 2 stroke, whether they were winning or not.

He lapped every single Fooper in 05 on the YZ250, and that's exactly why no factory could afford to have ANY 250 two stroke in the field, not one of theirs or anyone else's... You can't sell any Foopers while Kevin Windham and Sebastian Tortelli are being lapped on them.... just not a good selling point.

Just like the case where KTM wouldn't offer any support for Cedric Soubeyras while he was winning supercross races in Europe on the 250SX, even beating Barcia and the Fonda 4 Fumpty on night 2 of Bercy Supercross. Even though he was winning on their bike, they totally ignored him while sponsoring 4 stroke riders who weren't doing nealy as well....

KTM didn't care that Cedric was winning races on their 250SX, all they wanted at the time was for no one to ride one in MX or SX on TV. 4 Stroke sales are very weak, and the only way the industry can create any sort of market niche for them is by making sure that only Foopers race on TV in front of the Large Herd of Suckers.

|

9/21/2012 1:22 PM

FourFooptyF wrote:

Yeah, because his paycheck in 06 would've read ($$$[Fill in the blank.00]) if he rode the Pooper and if would read ($0.00) if he rode the 2 stroke. Because neither Yamaha, nor any other Fooper Factory would pay anyone to ride a 2 stroke, whether they were winning or not.

He lapped every single Fooper in 05 on the YZ250, and that's exactly why no factory could afford to have ANY 250 two stroke in the field, not one of theirs or anyone else's... You can't sell any Foopers while Kevin Windham and Sebastian Tortelli are being lapped on them.... just not a good selling point.

Just like the case where KTM wouldn't offer any support for Cedric Soubeyras while he was winning supercross races in Europe on the 250SX, even beating Barcia and the Fonda 4 Fumpty on night 2 of Bercy Supercross. Even though he was winning on their bike, they totally ignored him while sponsoring 4 stroke riders who weren't doing nealy as well....

KTM didn't care that Cedric was winning races on their 250SX, all they wanted at the time was for no one to ride one in MX or SX on TV. 4 Stroke sales are very weak, and the only way the industry can create any sort of market niche for them is by making sure that only Foopers race on TV in front of the Large Herd of Suckers.

What he said.

|

9/21/2012 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2012 1:27 PM

8686 wrote:

You don't think the 2013 KTM 250SX is any better than 250 2-strokes from 8 years ago?

Oh, and the newer 4t's are still heavy and slow turds.

I never said that, did i? Bikes have evolved and are faster, not necessarily power wise alone but they also feel lighter and easyer to handle.

Touché on that last paragraph.

|

9/21/2012 3:15 PM

I recently went from an RM to a 2012 KTM 250 sx. I had my RM suspension done by a former factory mechanic and it was nearly perfect so the KTM had a lot to live up to

The motor on the KTM is stronger than my RM everywhere but it is really smooth where the RM had a hit in the the midrange that while fun, made it harder to ride. My RM had a completely stock motor except for Pro Circuit pipe and muffler.

The brakes on the KTM are incredible, RM doesnt even come close.

The suspension was the only downside. At 85kg plus gear i am too heavy for the stock fork springs. They pushed through the stroke coming into corners so that when i hit braking bumps they pretty much bottomed out and deflected. The rear end was pretty good though.
One thing i did find was that even with soft suspension, if i did over jump the bike would stay straight on the landing where when the RM was stock it would kick sideways on the landing of an over jump. The KTM also drives out of corners much better. It is much more tractable while having more power. The chassis is a lot better than the RM. It didnt turn in quite as tight as the RM but is much better on the exit.

Since then i had 0.48 fork springs installed, i was only intending on getting springs put in but while the guy had my forks he did the valving as well, took some compression out and added rebound, and he didnt charge me for it.
The forks are much better now, they hold up in the stroke better and absorb over jumps or case outs much better. I am still contemplating whether to change the rear spring but for now it works really well.

I dont think you would need to spend $1000 on suspension on the KTM. The 0.44's the 2012 came with are too soft for pretty much everyone but depending on your weight the 0.46's that the 2013's come with could be alright and by adjusting the oil level you can tune out the midstroke harshness.

After only 2 rides on the KTM and some minor work i would say that it is nearly as good as my RM in the suspension department, just needs some little tweaks to get it where i want it

|

9/22/2012 11:23 AM

Rode it again last night with it re-jetted again & powervalve spring change. We installed the .48 for springs & lowered the fork oil & set the sag at 105mm. It ran awesome & totally different than on Sunday & Monday when I rode it. The motor now pulls right from what seems just off an idle & it still rips into the midrange but it's way more manageable. This bike is fast! The forks feel much much better & way more fluid in the middle of the stroke where they were beating the shit out of me on Sunday & Monday. We also installed black Excel A60 rims. I think she's looking pretty good & I'm racing it tomorrow for the 1st time.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

9/22/2012 11:45 AM

Digger29 wrote:

Rode it again last night with it re-jetted again & powervalve spring change. We installed the .48 for springs & lowered the fork oil & set the sag at 105mm. It ran awesome & totally different than on Sunday & Monday when I rode it. The motor now pulls right from what seems just off an idle & it still rips into the midrange but it's way more manageable. This bike is fast! The forks feel much much better & way more fluid in the middle of the stroke where they were beating the shit out of me on Sunday & Monday. We also installed black Excel A60 rims. I think she's looking pretty good & I'm racing it tomorrow for the 1st time.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

You definitely know how to setup a bike to make it run and look better. I wish I could throw that much money into my 2006 yz250 I just bought.

|

Follow me on instagram: Instagram.com/mxwes

9/25/2012 7:39 AM

I raced it for the 1st time on Sunday at MX207 in Maine & things couldn't have went better (well maybe if I would've won that is) I was actually a bit nervous about racing it but my fears were put to rest after a half lap in my 1st pratice. With the newer updated jetting specs & the work we did on my forks the bike worked flawlessly out there. The track is a high speed track with lots of different types of jumps on it & the track doesn't get super rough but it definitely gets rough enough to keep you on your toes & holding on just a little tighter because of it. I rode 4 motos & we had next to last motos in both halfs of the progam & the track was pretty beat up & I could go anywhere I wanted & I was truly amazed at how well everything worked. I over jumped a bunch of the really big jumps ( by accident) & the bike took it in stride & didn't twitch or jump a little sideways like my RM always seemed to do. I know this track very very well & nothing has changed since last month when I was last there & my lap times were faster & the most amazing part was that my general MO is that my last 2 laps of our 6 lap races are generally much slower but Sunday my last 2 laps were my fastest of the motos cuz I was charging right to the end of them & I was super pleased about that. I got top 2 or 3 starts in all 4 motos & they would've been better if I didn't wheelie all the way to the first turn. I had tons of comments from people watching my races about how good the bike looked out there & how good I looked on it even better than that was the comments from my buddies who were in the motos with me about how fast I was on it. After just one weekend of racing it I love this bike. It is stupid fast & so easy to go fast on.

|

9/25/2012 7:59 AM

Mike, the bike is looking good. I knew you'd love that motor once you got it set up. I just sold my 250SX and picked up a 13' 150SX that I have a pretty cool little project going on, I will post up some info when it gets closer to finished. For now though, I thought I'd tease you a bit with the wheelset, have fun, Lee

|

9/25/2012 8:45 AM

OH MY LEE!!!!! I love them & I'm soooo jealous :-( Call me when you have a sec cuz I do need to tell you about about how bad the jetting was & the specs I got on here & another forum & from Marshall are dead wrong. My bike Fn rips now. 508 243 1232 Digger

|

9/25/2012 8:47 AM

hellion wrote:

Mike, the bike is looking good. I knew you'd love that motor once you got it set up. I just sold my 250SX and picked up a 13' 150SX that I have a pretty cool little project going on, I will post up some info when it gets closer to finished. For now though, I thought I'd tease you a bit with the wheelset, have fun, Lee

What all are you doing on your 150? My suspension is out getting DLC coatings at the moment. A light bike with less friction in the boingers should be a good starting point. Got me a set of bargain basement wheels thanks to someone else ordering a custom built set, putting a deposit down to have them built and never returning to pick them up!

|

9/25/2012 8:51 AM

My cousin raced the 450A class at the regional AMA race at Cycle Ranch last Sunday.

He holeshot on his '13 250SX and led 2 laps before crashing and eventually finishing 6th out of 13 riders. Not bad for a kid that works a full time job and is a smoker to boot.

His expansion chamber cracked in his next moto leaving him w/ no hp.

Myself, I'm trying to decide between a '13 250SX or a '13 CRF450 at this time sicne I've been on a 250SX for 5 years now.

|

2013 KTM 250SX on Ohlins, 314cc built stroker engine with 56 very smooth and easy to ride rwhp.

9/25/2012 8:57 AM

Suns_PSD wrote:

My cousin raced the 450A class at the regional AMA race at Cycle Ranch last Sunday.

He holeshot on his '13 250SX and led 2 laps before crashing and eventually finishing 6th out of 13 riders. Not bad for a kid that works a full time job and is a smoker to boot.

His expansion chamber cracked in his next moto leaving him w/ no hp.

Myself, I'm trying to decide between a '13 250SX or a '13 CRF450 at this time sicne I've been on a 250SX for 5 years now.

I was torn too between the new 13 Honda 450 & the 13 250 SX but the 3k difference in cost when it was all said done made it an easy decision for me & I couldn't be happier. I love my new KTM & I can't believe just how good it worked in my first race with it.

|

9/25/2012 9:01 AM

Mike, did you do the suzuki NECJ needle? Mine wouldn't ever run clean without it. I do ride a lot of off road type stuff so I need real clean jetting, well, I need it cuz I'm old and picky......

|

9/25/2012 9:05 AM

hellion wrote:

newmann wrote:

What all are you doing on your 150? My suspension is out getting DLC coatings at the moment. A light bike with less friction in the boingers should be a good starting point. Got me a set of bargain basement wheels thanks to someone else ordering a custom built set, putting a deposit down to have them built and never returning to pick them up!

newmann, I can't give it away just yet. I did find a certain part on fleabay that I have been looking for for 5 years and that was the push that started me down the road. Hint; there won't be a faster 150..........

|

9/25/2012 9:24 AM

A certain part or a certain 200SX engine?

|

9/25/2012 9:25 AM

Yes Lee I put the Suzuki needle in & made the other changes that I was told to do & it was pinging on race gas last wk on my 1st to rides on it. Ron called his buddy at factory KTMs mx team & got new specs & it required another needle, that I had to order & basically way different jetting all together. It doesn't even sound the same. It's sounds a 250 works bike. It revs so damn fast now too! & is so clean & it just Fn flat out hauls now & no pinging either :-)

|