2012 fox helmets?

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:11pm
Anyone seen the new fox stuff? I'm in need of a new helmet and with the twotwo gear coming out and the new shift stuff looking awesome, I figured fox would be a great choice.

Thanks.
|
rubarb
6/9/2011 9:37pm
i would never wear a fox helmet while riding a dirtbike, sorry, just won't do it............
TeamGreen
6/9/2011 9:48pm
I've been wearing their new V-1 in Baja as my Radio-Helmet...the version they call "Double Down"

I got it from them before the Baja 1000 last Novemeber and have worn it for at-least 3500 miles of Baja riding, racing, pre-running and testing.

It's the cheapest helmet they have at $159 and it wears like other $300-$400 helmets.

Removable and washable liner that LASTS!
Craphics that are DAMN NICE and they're also pretty long-lasting.
The liners attachment hardware (Snaps) are tuff enough/strong enough for me to take my liner apart EVERY RIDE and change out my radio/helmet kit...not all helmets will take that.

I had a Huge Fall in Baja last-Friday while pre-running for the 500...the Helmet looks like it took it well (Big Hit!) I'm sending it out for an inspection; because, it's just unbelievable how well this thing is "wearing".

I'm impressed with all their new stuff...I've tested it thoroughly...

The Hard-Way!
JaumeTGO
6/9/2011 10:31pm
rubarb wrote:
i would never wear a fox helmet while riding a dirtbike, sorry, just won't do it............
Why??
mws02
6/9/2011 10:43pm
rubarb wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. I wore fox gear for about 8 years due to a dealer sponsorship and had more concussions in them than i can remember (pun intended). Wearing a Fox helmet I had a concussion so bad I broke a bone inside my left ear and am deaf in that ear now. Your brain can't be replaced, dont go cheap on it -- Shoei and Arai are great helmets.

The Shop

TeamGreen
6/10/2011 10:23am
rubarb wrote:
mws02 wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. I wore fox gear for about 8 years due to a dealer sponsorship and had more concussions in...
I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. I wore fox gear for about 8 years due to a dealer sponsorship and had more concussions in them than i can remember (pun intended). Wearing a Fox helmet I had a concussion so bad I broke a bone inside my left ear and am deaf in that ear now. Your brain can't be replaced, dont go cheap on it -- Shoei and Arai are great helmets.
And what technical, engineering or material data do you have to claim that it was the helmet?

Here's something of a news-flash...

Helmets come form very few manufacturing sources.

As of late, we've even tested a Fly "Formula" that's as good as any other shell out there and the liner is the best.

Don't get stuck on brand and/or price: You'll end up with $500 boots that ain't any better than any other boot MADE IN CHINA and you'll end up with a really cool looking helmet that ain't as good as a few you passed up on your way to spending $600 on the one you got.

I'm jus' knowin'...composites is what "I do"...
Camp332
6/10/2011 10:48am
I rung my bell pretty good last Saturday wearing a Fox V3 from 2010. I didn't get knocked out, just saw a couple of bright sprinkles for a few seconds. I like to think that the helmet did it's job. She is now retired.
Ewan
6/10/2011 12:31pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've been wearing their new V-1 in Baja as my Radio-Helmet...the version they call "Double Down" I got it from them before the Baja 1000 last...
I've been wearing their new V-1 in Baja as my Radio-Helmet...the version they call "Double Down"

I got it from them before the Baja 1000 last Novemeber and have worn it for at-least 3500 miles of Baja riding, racing, pre-running and testing.

It's the cheapest helmet they have at $159 and it wears like other $300-$400 helmets.

Removable and washable liner that LASTS!
Craphics that are DAMN NICE and they're also pretty long-lasting.
The liners attachment hardware (Snaps) are tuff enough/strong enough for me to take my liner apart EVERY RIDE and change out my radio/helmet kit...not all helmets will take that.

I had a Huge Fall in Baja last-Friday while pre-running for the 500...the Helmet looks like it took it well (Big Hit!) I'm sending it out for an inspection; because, it's just unbelievable how well this thing is "wearing".

I'm impressed with all their new stuff...I've tested it thoroughly...

The Hard-Way!
I hope you're not going to wear that lid again......
muGz.147
Fantasy
1789th
6/10/2011 12:36pm
I've got a V-1, a V-2, and two V-3's. For my shape of head, the Fox lids fit me really well. I work at a dealership and have access to any brand of helmet at half or less of retail...and I still choose Fox.
Racer92
6/10/2011 12:48pm
muGz.147 wrote:
I've got a V-1, a V-2, and two V-3's. For my shape of head, the Fox lids fit me really well. I work at a dealership...
I've got a V-1, a V-2, and two V-3's. For my shape of head, the Fox lids fit me really well. I work at a dealership and have access to any brand of helmet at half or less of retail...and I still choose Fox.
Ive been trying all different ones lately and always prefer the fit of a Fox helmet for my goofy noggin.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1789th
6/10/2011 12:52pm
muGz.147 wrote:
I've got a V-1, a V-2, and two V-3's. For my shape of head, the Fox lids fit me really well. I work at a dealership...
Racer92 wrote:
Ive been trying all different ones lately and always prefer the fit of a Fox helmet for my goofy noggin.
Exactly! If you have an egg shaped head (like I do apparently)...the Fox fits REALLY good. By comparison...the Bell fits me like crap, as does the TLD, and a few others. I'm looking foward to seeing some of the new V-3 colorways. Some of the gear I've seen is SICK!! Look at what Foster is wearing on TWMX on the new 2012 Kawi.
Highsider
6/10/2011 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2011 12:55pm
Racer92 wrote:
When fitting a helmet, there are three 'distinctive' head-shapes.
You are correct if a particular brand suits your head-shape better.

I don't see how you fit those GIANT pink ears in a helmet!
Kryan5
6/10/2011 1:06pm
Wow, this topic is perfect timing for me. I've been looking for new gear this past week. I've been accustomed to believe that boots and helmets(leave out neck brace for now) are the 2 most important things you can buy as far as safety and the question that has been ragging me is "is more expensive better"? Now I know that this is only to a certain degree, but for the best ankle support do i need to spend $500-$600 on boots or will the $200-$300 boots support my ankles just the same. I had the same questions about helmets because in reality they are all made from the same material.... what is your all opinion! Thanks,
Racer92
6/10/2011 1:12pm
Highsider wrote:
When fitting a helmet, there are three 'distinctive' head-shapes. You are correct if a particular brand suits your head-shape better. I don't see how you fit...
When fitting a helmet, there are three 'distinctive' head-shapes.
You are correct if a particular brand suits your head-shape better.

I don't see how you fit those GIANT pink ears in a helmet!
Yeah, its a drag for sure, but as long as the wife keeps pulling on 'em looks like they wont be getting smaller any time soon. Wink
hellion
6/10/2011 1:29pm
rubarb wrote:
mws02 wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree with this guy. I wore fox gear for about 8 years due to a dealer sponsorship and had more concussions in...
TeamGreen wrote:
And what technical, engineering or material data do you have to claim that it was the helmet? Here's something of a news-flash... Helmets come form very...
And what technical, engineering or material data do you have to claim that it was the helmet?

As of late, we've even tested a Fly "Formula" that's as good as any other shell out there and the liner is the best.

Don't get stuck on brand and/or price: You'll end up with $500 boots that ain't any better than any other boot MADE IN CHINA and you'll end up with a really cool looking helmet that ain't as good as a few you passed up on your way to spending $600 on the one you got.

The boot analogy is great, but I think it's because with a boot it's easy to see and feel the quality that comes with the price. Lower priced boots support goes away very quickly if they have any to begin with. With helmets, the quality is much harder to see, often hidden by the graphics. But believe me there is a difference. I see and work with them all, and I wouldn't put anything but an Arai on my head. I know the people who work there and all they care about is providing the safest helmet possible. Most others are worried about their new gear line and the helmet just needs graphics to match, and gets little thought as to safety. Maybe they are good enough, maybe not, but it is a gamble for sure, a gamble I don't care to take.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/11/2011 10:13pm
Well unfortunately I'm on a limited budget and can not afford $500-600 for a new lid...heck the one I got is great, retailed for $150, but should have bought a smaller size.

All money aside, if a fox helmet is so bad why are so many people wearing them??
rubarb
6/11/2011 11:08pm
mws02 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
And what technical, engineering or material data do you have to claim that it was the helmet? Here's something of a news-flash... Helmets come form very...

hellion wrote:
The boot analogy is great, but I think it's because with a boot it's easy to see and feel the quality that comes with the price...
The boot analogy is great, but I think it's because with a boot it's easy to see and feel the quality that comes with the price. Lower priced boots support goes away very quickly if they have any to begin with. With helmets, the quality is much harder to see, often hidden by the graphics. But believe me there is a difference. I see and work with them all, and I wouldn't put anything but an Arai on my head. I know the people who work there and all they care about is providing the safest helmet possible. Most others are worried about their new gear line and the helmet just needs graphics to match, and gets little thought as to safety. Maybe they are good enough, maybe not, but it is a gamble for sure, a gamble I don't care to take.
The old adage "you get what you pay for"

Besides, I guess I just prefer Japanese engineering and manufacturing (Shoei or Arai) when it comes to head-bone protection - it may simply be a qualitative understanding from being around mx most of my life. To TeamGreen's point, yes, ideally you want empirical and objective evidence in support of such remarks. Additionally, the link provided by Racer92 has surfaced a few times on here in regard to the helmet debate, however, I have yet to see anyone provide a tangible "take away" from that helmet periodical. Maybe the Brain Trust (Nerd and EID) can shed some light.
6/11/2011 11:15pm
rubarb wrote:
why? I've face planted into a double and didnt get hurt from my V3, it did pretty well so I bought another one and they feel awesome with mega air flow
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/12/2011 12:31am
I more or less just wanted to know if anyone has seen the new fox lids. Start a new thread about helmet safety if u so desire.
SCIENCE
6/12/2011 7:53am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2011 7:54am
Arai, Shoei,, Airoh and maybe TLD, Bell or AGV are the only lids going on mine or my kids heads. Why would you put anything made in China or worse (Fox, Thor, KBC, etc.) on? you can find left over Arai's and Shoei's on EBAY and some moto sites for decent prices.
bobby397
6/12/2011 8:04am
I've snapped the face off a bell, cracked the shell of a shoei, and hit so hard one time in my fox v3 that the inside could move freely. With that said, I would purchase all three again since they did it's job and I'm still alive! Along as its DOT and snell approved, I trust it......
Andimers
6/12/2011 3:04pm
You should check out No Fear's gear, as it is really cheap and lasts for a LONG time compared to the Thor, Fox, Alpinestars and Fly sets I've worn.

As for the helmet, I personally won't use anything else than Shoei again, BUT if the pro riders can go out with a Fox helmet, I don't see why you couldn't.
RandyS
6/12/2011 3:35pm
I've been to the Snell testing facilities and seen them do their testing. I was told off the record that some $500 helmets are worthless and some $99 helmets are some of the best out there. But Snell is in the business of selling stickers so they're not going to tell you which ones. I did ask about Arai and was told you can't go wrong with Arai. Again that was off the record but told me what I needed to know. But just cuz you paid $500 for a helmet doesn't mean you're safer. Kind of like neck braces.
RR61114
6/12/2011 5:11pm
I more or less just wanted to know if anyone has seen the new fox lids. Start a new thread about helmet safety if u so...
I more or less just wanted to know if anyone has seen the new fox lids. Start a new thread about helmet safety if u so desire.
I think Fox and most other brands gear drops in September. That's usually when the local dealers have all the new stuff. I am sure they will be sick. I bought the white black carbon Fox V3 last year and I love it!
TeamGreen
6/12/2011 5:23pm
SCIENCE wrote:
Arai, Shoei,, Airoh and maybe TLD, Bell or AGV are the only lids going on mine or my kids heads. Why would you put anything made...
Arai, Shoei,, Airoh and maybe TLD, Bell or AGV are the only lids going on mine or my kids heads. Why would you put anything made in China or worse (Fox, Thor, KBC, etc.) on? you can find left over Arai's and Shoei's on EBAY and some moto sites for decent prices.
So, all those "Good" brands you mentioned...none of those are made in China...really?
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/12/2011 8:27pm
SCIENCE wrote:
Arai, Shoei,, Airoh and maybe TLD, Bell or AGV are the only lids going on mine or my kids heads. Why would you put anything made...
I'm fairly certain bell and tld are made in china
burnside
6/12/2011 11:51pm
What was the helmet Donn Maeda broke with his hands? Seem to remember seeing or reading about that somewhere..
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/13/2011 5:47am
burnside wrote:
What was the helmet Donn Maeda broke with his hands? Seem to remember seeing or reading about that somewhere..
I think it was called sparx
4mxonly
6/13/2011 6:01am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2011 6:04am
I used to wear what I would consider sub-par helmets (priced anywhere from $200 - $350) and experienced 7 concussions over roughly a 5-year stretch (one of them was especially bad). Based on recommendations from other riders, I bought an Arai. I've had two Aria helmets over the last 5 years and have taken a couple serious diggers while wearing them. One crash in particular, I lawn darted (head first). I felt like the force of the crash would have definitely left me seeing stars, but when I got up, there was nothing except the feeling of relief that I was relatively unfazed by it and relatively ok.

I can only speak for my own personal experience, and as a user of Arai helmets, I've been extremely pleased. The price is pretty steep when compared to the average $200 helmet, but after experiencing the string of concussions (and the consequences therein), I simply will not compromise my personal safety with anything less.

With that said, I think most of you (who are "in the know") understand that helmet testing procedures are extremely unrealistic when compared to real-life crash scenarios on a motocross track. In my opinion, ineffective and misleading helmet certifications are what allows the sub-par motocross helmets to be released into the marketplace and used by unsuspecting consumers--like the younger version of myself--who think they are buying something that will keep their heads safe in the event of a crash. Unfortunately, the high frequency of brain injuries in amateur and professional motocross eery year (e.g. Ian Trettel) tells us otherwise.

Post a reply to: 2012 fox helmets?

The Latest