2011 450 s/ racerx

mxb2
11/18/2010 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 9:42pm
Racerx had a little shootout with all the new 450 s and the 350, all the bikes IMO are really good this year, seems like most of the testers liked the new rmz best, most testers were ex pro s or top riders, would have been nice to put the weekend warrior on the panel. I have a 09 rmz 450, real good bike, and the 2010-2011 are supposed to be quite a bit better! Any opinions on the new bikes? Or is everyone just keeping their bikes, and 2011 looks to be a great year for bikes no matter what brand you get! If you have a 2011, maybe you can give us your opinion.
|
swizcore
11/18/2010 4:40pm
I expected the RMZ to be best because they have continued to refine a proven bike. The trend appears to be breakthrough innovation, which has proven to risky by Honda and Yamaha.
Mstock
11/18/2010 4:41pm
Ping said the Suzuki is the best 2011 bike on the pulpmx podcast. No hesitation with his response.

When I can ride my 2005 CRF450 to it's potential I will buy a new bike.

At the amature level its the rider. Not the bike.
11/18/2010 5:22pm
MXA latest issue has tests on the SUZukI, Honda along with a comparison test between the 350 & 450 KTMs and tested the 11 KAWASAKI 450 awhile back and from what I have read I think they like the 450 KTM as best 450 and more than likely the SUZUKI would be #2.
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
11/18/2010 5:40pm
I was genuinely surprised to hear Ward say he'd never ridden a Yamaha, Suzuki or KTM.

H

The Shop

DanDunes818
11/18/2010 6:16pm
MXA latest issue has tests on the SUZukI, Honda along with a comparison test between the 350 & 450 KTMs and tested the 11 KAWASAKI 450...
MXA latest issue has tests on the SUZukI, Honda along with a comparison test between the 350 & 450 KTMs and tested the 11 KAWASAKI 450 awhile back and from what I have read I think they like the 450 KTM as best 450 and more than likely the SUZUKI would be #2.
I'm pretty sure they picked the KTM 350 as the best 350. I heard it was close though. Whistling
grover738
11/18/2010 8:06pm
linky

The suzuki really dominated, only Phil Lawrence and Carey Hart picked the CRF. Ward, Dymond, Ping, and Peterson picked the RMZ. No love at all for the Yamaha - the only bike nobody mentioned when asked which one they'd buy. If that continues, I think there will be a lot more yellow on the tracks the next few years. I noticed a lot more KXFs after the '09 did so well in all the shootouts. Or maybe after watching Dungey all last year all the testers just felt faster on the zook....
chase187
11/18/2010 8:54pm
It is no secret the RMZ turns the best, they just had to work the bugs out of the suspension, get a little more power out of the engine, and it was sure to start winning shootouts
SoCalMX70
11/18/2010 9:02pm
I rate the KX-F at the bottom just for that fugly exhaust! The YZ-F looks like a Transformer and the KTM-3Fiddy can't holeshot! Honda's ok...

In all seriousness though, I'm a Suzuki guy for life so it's cool to see so many positive responses to the 2011. It's going to be my next purchase!

1992 RM125
2001 RM125
2003 RM250
2006 RM-Z450
2011 RM-Z450

Smile
11/18/2010 9:19pm
Pick whichever color is cheapest, get your sduspension revalved, throw on pre prints and go racing/riding. They're all awesome bikes capable of more than pretty much any human can throw at them.
11/18/2010 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2010 9:36pm
Hman144 wrote:
I was genuinely surprised to hear Ward say he'd never ridden a Yamaha, Suzuki or KTM.

H
LOL Jeff raced both Yamaha's and Suzukis but they were 125's before he signed with Kawasaki, guess he didn't figure they counted.
11/19/2010 12:52am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2010 12:56am
The Suzuki is a hidden gem of a bike that has, for some reason (probably due to late releases) generally gone a little under the radar these last couple of years.

What makes me laugh though is that last year the YAM was presented by almost everybody (other than MXA) as the absolute bees kness bike to have, the bike that was going to change it all, the 450 that felt like a 250f etc. It was crazy. I mean the British mags over here were even worse. I remember one guy/tester stating very matter of fact that basically it was all over for the other manufactures unless they followed Yamaha quick! lol.

My point, is that while I'm sure the Yam is a great bike, in fact there are no bad bikes from the big 5, you can only take what any of these people say with a pinch of salt. The only people I really trust are MXA. They're the only publication that really go to town on these bikes, no expense spared. But even then a lot of it comes down to personal opinion and ultimately what you get on with best.
Ernosto
11/19/2010 3:26am
I've had 350 KTM for some time, and it was nice to read that everything they said about the bike holds true to my experiences as well! Most of all, it's really a fun bike to ride when you can ride it aggressively just like 250f except it's lot faster/torquier, but then again it isn't scary fast like 450. Smile
zookie
11/19/2010 7:32am
I love my 2008 RMZ450, can make it as great as the 2011 with some ECU/Camshaft work, suspension work, and some tuning. Everyone that has ridden it loves it also. Corners better than almost any other bike I have ever ridden (except for my 2005 RM250!)

Suzuki should sell more bikes. They are really very nice these days. Reliable, easy to work on, great right out of the crate, etc.
BigDaddyG
11/19/2010 8:47am
I am getting back into riding this coming spring, so I am paying attention to the shootouts, going to the shops, studying up and right now it is between the Suzuki and the Kawasaki. I have always been a kx guy......but those new Suzukis seem to be awesome and we all know what RC and RD have done.....

11/19/2010 2:31pm
Hman144 wrote:

H
LOL Jeff raced both Yamaha's and Suzukis but they were 125's before he signed with Kawasaki, guess he didn't figure they counted.
I noticed that too- of course he has ridden the other brands. I thought he was referring to 450s or modern four strokes.
nytsmaC
11/19/2010 4:17pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
I am getting back into riding this coming spring, so I am paying attention to the shootouts, going to the shops, studying up and right now...
I am getting back into riding this coming spring, so I am paying attention to the shootouts, going to the shops, studying up and right now it is between the Suzuki and the Kawasaki. I have always been a kx guy......but those new Suzukis seem to be awesome and we all know what RC and RD have done.....

If you're tall get the KX. That's the only drawback the RMZ has, which wasn't mentioned. Shorter or average height riders will have no issue but if you're tall like me you'll struggle to feel comfortable on it. I tried triple clamps and tall seat foams and eventually gave up on it. That was truly my only issue with the bike and I wish I could have made it work for me better.
BigDaddyG
11/19/2010 4:51pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
I am getting back into riding this coming spring, so I am paying attention to the shootouts, going to the shops, studying up and right now...

nytsmaC wrote:
If you're tall get the KX. That's the only drawback the RMZ has, which wasn't mentioned. Shorter or average height riders will have no issue but...
If you're tall get the KX. That's the only drawback the RMZ has, which wasn't mentioned. Shorter or average height riders will have no issue but if you're tall like me you'll struggle to feel comfortable on it. I tried triple clamps and tall seat foams and eventually gave up on it. That was truly my only issue with the bike and I wish I could have made it work for me better.
Yeah, 6'4" and about 280 lbs.....I sat on the new KX the other day and it was very comfortable for a big guy. It suprised at how tall it was. I sat on the Hondas too, and it felt short to me.

Thanks for the advice/input!!

Jason
JJO741
Fantasy
3012th
11/19/2010 5:06pm
I have a couple of 08 RMZ's in my avatar pic and a 97 RM250. I've been fortunate enough to ride all the big manufacturers bikes and to be honest they are all very good. Suzuki has been criminally underrated these past years so I'm very happy to see them get good reviews.
zookie
11/19/2010 5:18pm
BigDaddyG wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
If you're tall get the KX. That's the only drawback the RMZ has, which wasn't mentioned. Shorter or average height riders will have no issue but...
BigDaddyG wrote:
Yeah, 6'4" and about 280 lbs.....I sat on the new KX the other day and it was very comfortable for a big guy. It suprised at...
Yeah, 6'4" and about 280 lbs.....I sat on the new KX the other day and it was very comfortable for a big guy. It suprised at how tall it was. I sat on the Hondas too, and it felt short to me.

Jason
Suzuki will be very small for you! With tall seat/bars on it, it will be better, but many of my bigger friends feel extremely cramped on mine.
in2mx
12/4/2010 8:53am
BigDaddyG wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Yeah, 6'4" and about 280 lbs.....I sat on the new KX the other day and it was very comfortable for a big guy. It suprised at...

Jason
geesh 6'4 280 ? maybe u should play fooootball instead of motocross!
Roscoe33
12/4/2010 9:12am
Pick whichever color is cheapest, get your sduspension revalved, throw on pre prints and go racing/riding. They're all awesome bikes capable of more than pretty much...
Pick whichever color is cheapest, get your sduspension revalved, throw on pre prints and go racing/riding. They're all awesome bikes capable of more than pretty much any human can throw at them.
set-up is way more important than colour

Post a reply to: 2011 450 s/ racerx

The Latest