2009 kx450f wont START.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/1/2016 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2016 8:12 AM

I have a 2009 kx450f took it out for a ride about a month ago it ran fine the whole day got back washed it. Went to take it out to the track the next weekend and the bike wouldn't start. I started looking further into it and I pulled the spark plug and gave it a few kicks and noticed that there was no spark. So I changed the plug out with a new one and still no luck. Then I tested the coil it was fine. And my buddy has the same bike as me so I started switching out parts from his bike with mine.I changed the:
Tipover sensor
Gear position sensor
Cdi box
Spark plug coil
New stator
Fuel pump
And still no spark. Now I have no idea what else to do. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you

|

3/1/2016 9:33 PM

Kill switch?

|

3/1/2016 9:36 PM

Wouldn't this be more appropriate for the race shop section of the forum?

|

3/1/2016 9:44 PM

If the coil is working then check the actual spark plug cap and wire. If it's corroded that may be the issue. It sounds like you have checked pretty much everything else. So just back check everything from the plug cap and back. I was going to say " valves " when I first saw your thread , since that's a common issue. But no spark , that's something different.

Question though : Why did you check the fuel pump if you had no spark?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/1/2016 9:45 PM

TheKookBrigade wrote:

Wouldn't this be more appropriate for the race shop section of the forum?

Wondering if you'll make it to post #5?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/1/2016 10:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2016 11:01 PM

Edit* sorry I thought you had a 250f

|

3/2/2016 3:29 AM

Swap your wiring harness. Just went through the same thing with mine I swapped everything,coil,fuel pump,throttle body,rectifier,ecu I literally swapped every electrical component on the bike lol As soon as I swapped the harness it fired right up

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/2/2016 5:07 AM

Like guy said start with your kill switch. I had one go bad on a 09.The oem replacement i believe was around $15

|

3/2/2016 5:16 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

If the coil is working then check the actual spark plug cap and wire. If it's corroded that may be the issue. It sounds like you have checked pretty much everything else. So just back check everything from the plug cap and back. I was going to say " valves " when I first saw your thread , since that's a common issue. But no spark , that's something different.

Question though : Why did you check the fuel pump if you had no spark?

Maybe he has ESP and was anticipating kripple's post. Next time I have a "no spark" condition, maybe I'll start with the fuel pump, you have to evolve with the times.

|

3/2/2016 6:15 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

If the coil is working then check the actual spark plug cap and wire. If it's corroded that may be the issue. It sounds like you have checked pretty much everything else. So just back check everything from the plug cap and back. I was going to say " valves " when I first saw your thread , since that's a common issue. But no spark , that's something different.

Question though : Why did you check the fuel pump if you had no spark?

Starcrossed wrote:

Maybe he has ESP and was anticipating kripple's post. Next time I have a "no spark" condition, maybe I'll start with the fuel pump, you have to evolve with the times.

My problem was very intermittent so I couldn't determine what the issue was at first it would start maybe 15-20 times in a row then I'd get to the track and it wouldn't start so at first I wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue or spark. And I have another bike so I was just swapping everything electrical.

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/2/2016 6:21 AM

kripple428 wrote:

My problem was very intermittent so I couldn't determine what the issue was at first it would start maybe 15-20 times in a row then I'd get to the track and it wouldn't start so at first I wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue or spark. And I have another bike so I was just swapping everything electrical.

Intermittent problems are always the worst, but when you've detected it's a no spark issue, you've pretty much ruled out the fuel pump...unless it has short circuited the electrical system?? It's always at the track when things come unraveled, Murphy's Law.

|

3/2/2016 6:39 AM

Starcrossed wrote:

Maybe he has ESP and was anticipating kripple's post. Next time I have a "no spark" condition, maybe I'll start with the fuel pump, you have to evolve with the times.

kripple428 wrote:

My problem was very intermittent so I couldn't determine what the issue was at first it would start maybe 15-20 times in a row then I'd get to the track and it wouldn't start so at first I wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue or spark. And I have another bike so I was just swapping everything electrical.

Starcrossed wrote:

Intermittent problems are always the worst, but when you've detected it's a no spark issue, you've pretty much ruled out the fuel pump...unless it has short circuited the electrical system?? It's always at the track when things come unraveled, Murphy's Law.

Haha yep I thought I had it fixed twice because I would swap a part and it would start 15-20 times then I'd get to the track and it wouldn't start it was frustrating lol. Had a car at work once that was in a rear end collision and wouldn't start like once or twice about ever 500-1,000 key turns I almost pulled my hair out on that one lol

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/2/2016 9:39 AM

A loose ground wire on the little box at the end of the spark plug wire could cause it to not start as well.

|

3/6/2016 10:43 AM

I am working on an 09 kx450 with the exact same issue. The fuel pump turns on, the efi light does not indicate any problems. But it doesn't have any spark. This is driving me crazy. Im going to check the coil and wiring harness. I just put another CDI on it, new gear position switch and checked the tip over sensor. Let me know if u fiind out the problem I will do the same.

|

3/6/2016 12:18 PM

A buddy that owns a shop has replaced a couple wiring harnesses. A plug going into the cdi box looses contact.

|

3/6/2016 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2016 2:09 PM

nsr5058 wrote:

I am working on an 09 kx450 with the exact same issue. The fuel pump turns on, the efi light does not indicate any problems. But it doesn't have any spark. This is driving me crazy. Im going to check the coil and wiring harness. I just put another CDI on it, new gear position switch and checked the tip over sensor. Let me know if u fiind out the problem I will do the same.

If you have another bike you can change parts with, try changing the flywheel, believe it or not I had one on my Rmz 450 lose its magnatism, my bike wouldn't start , and I replaced everything electrical and I mean everything, cost me a fortune. Put a used fly on and the fucker started second kick, been running like a swiss watch ever since. Let's face it at this point you have nothing to lose by trying it.

|

3/6/2016 2:46 PM

cmotoday- I will check into it.

MX690 I was just in the garage today. I checked the stator and the restantaces are in spec at 1 ohm. When I kick start the bike with a battery hooked up instead of the capacitor, the fuel pump will turn on but still no spark. When I kick the bike over with the capacitor in the bike (bike is making its own voltage) the fuel pump will not turn on nor does it have spark. I am thinking the flywheel lost its magnetism not generating enough voltage and not making the crank sensor pick up and trigger firing.

For the record, the guy that brought this bike to me let it sit outside all last winter. The ecu, fuel pump, and temp sensor were all broken.

|

3/6/2016 3:47 PM

Nsr5058
That's exactly what my bike was doing, if I hooked up an external power source my fuel pump would work perfect, pumped about 125-150ml in 3 kicks. Running under its own power I got nothing more than a few drips out of my fuel pump. It just doesn't produce enough power to supply every thing. If you know someone that you can borrow their fly wheel from just to try that would be the way to go. Its not a common problem but can happen. I had my bike to Two Suzuki dealers and neither of them found the problem. Hope you fix it.

|

3/10/2016 2:40 PM

Alright guys it was the harness I got one from ebay for around $70. I just put it in the bike and it fired right up!! Im going to pin out the old harness and find out what exactly went wrong in the first place.Thanks guys for the help

|

3/10/2016 3:37 PM

how does a harness just go bad?

|

3/10/2016 8:30 PM

westbay417 wrote:

Alright guys it was the harness I got one from ebay for around $70. I just put it in the bike and it fired right up!! Im going to pin out the old harness and find out what exactly went wrong in the first place.Thanks guys for the help

Called it lol

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/10/2016 8:33 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

how does a harness just go bad?

The harness doesn't just go bad but they do get stretched/soaked in dirt and water pins in connectors come loose from all the bumps,jumping. Since you can buy a harness for around $100 it's usually easier just to replace than to spend hours looking through the harness trying to find the problem.

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

3/11/2016 3:27 AM

Beat me to it. My 09 wiring harness got mildly misrouted when removing the gas tank to where it was resting on a bracket, and wore a tiny spot through that would short out on hard landings.

|