2008 Honda CR500

CnCRacing
2/12/2012 6:46am
That is right up there with anything that came out of HRC. Maybe you could lend it to Stanton for the Vetrans of Nations MX. I...
That is right up there with anything that came out of HRC. Maybe you could lend it to Stanton for the Vetrans of Nations MX. I would love to see a current pro do a test ride video on that thing too. Gibby?
x2
exsarg
2/12/2012 8:21am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2012 8:29am
im thinkin that bike is for show only? id ride it in the skeg to get er all dirty!! just kidding. gorgeous. truth is most of us would turn quicker times with the orig motor. but if your track was long, fast, tilled deep etc that thing wold be fun!!! cahuiila creek first thing in the morning. i would pay good money to have that 500 for a couple hrs. ive only ridden one 500 a 2003 kx. the frame and ergos were dated. the motor super smooth. surprisingly easy to ride. it was a sand track though.i mite be able to ride a service 500 today. think its an 08. i will gve my impressions.
bents
Fantasy
710th
2/12/2012 8:47am
BW84 wrote:
Read this thread a second time...

It just seems so....Right!

I'd love to ride that thing well below its potential for a few laps!
Ha! Great line. So true but I'd love to do the same on a very sedate track where I wouldn't be too scared to at least lean on the throttle a little bit!

The Shop

sharkey
2/12/2012 9:13am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2012 9:14am
cool pictures, makes me want one .i rode one of those service hondas a few years back. it also had some trick enzo suspension. they guy had $13k into it. it was a pretty cool bike ,brutal power but was fun bike at washougal on those hills. No one would pull in behind you up those hills(laughing). but i couldnt ride it at all like my 450. just this week i went to a friends house where he had a 1984 cr 500 that had been in storage for 10+ years. took about 90 kicks to fire after cleaning carb and new gas. my question to you big bore guys is this thing vibrated like nothing ive ever been on. was this normal for those bikes? you could feel in in the bars ,seat etc. man was it bad
jtomasik
2/12/2012 9:18am
sharkey wrote:
cool pictures, makes me want one .i rode one of those service hondas a few years back. it also had some trick enzo suspension. they guy...
cool pictures, makes me want one .i rode one of those service hondas a few years back. it also had some trick enzo suspension. they guy had $13k into it. it was a pretty cool bike ,brutal power but was fun bike at washougal on those hills. No one would pull in behind you up those hills(laughing). but i couldnt ride it at all like my 450. just this week i went to a friends house where he had a 1984 cr 500 that had been in storage for 10+ years. took about 90 kicks to fire after cleaning carb and new gas. my question to you big bore guys is this thing vibrated like nothing ive ever been on. was this normal for those bikes? you could feel in in the bars ,seat etc. man was it bad
Can't say for sure if what that bike was doing was normal, but yes, 500's vibrate a lot for a 2-stroke. That's one big piston jumping up and down in that cylinder. I put Flexx bars on mine, so I don't feel it that much.

Oh, riding a friend's 500AF isn't going to really give you any indication what the bike is capable of. You have to live with it for awhile, learning how to use not only its power but also its torque and crank inertia. Once you do, the whole game changes.
dogger315
2/12/2012 10:46am
Wow! Thanks for all the "thumbs up" guys - I really appreciate it.

I'll try to answer some of the questions posted.

Vibration - Yes big bore two strokes can vibrate pretty good. To minimize that, I sent the crankshaft, rod and piston
assembly to Crankworks to get balanced as a unit. This brought the vibration down to the same level as my CR250s.

Handling - The handling is amazing! The CRF 250R frame has a fairly steep steering angle to start with. Now add the
the CR500 engine with the bulk of it's weight concentrated further forward and lower than the CRF 250 engine and the
result is a nice stable, precise package that will carve under a lot of bikes just by thinking about it. It also doesn't hurt
to have more than 60 hp on tap to encourage rear wheel steering.

Powerband - The port and head work that Eric Gorr did on this bike was designed to up the power a little, but more
importantly, to smooth the hit. I added the CR250 ignition and Vortex ignition controller to lessen the flywheel effect
(due to the smaller, lighter rotor), and allow me to program the advance curve which also changes the way the power
is delivered. As a result, the power band is "healthy" but relatively smooth. It's still a big bore two stroke, but the power
delivery doesn't beat you up and spit you out like the early CR500s.

Packaging - I guess what I like about this hybrid the most, is the size. When you sit on the bike, you have no idea
you are sitting on anything other than a CRF 250 until you go to kick it over. The four stroke tiddler chassis gives
this bike a compact, buttoned down feeling. For all the steel framed 500 veterans, this would be the most noticeable
difference and improvement.

I'm so stoked about the way it turned out, I've already started on a matching CR250 using a 2000 CR250 engine
and a 2010-12 CRF250R frame. If anyone is interested I'll post updates on that build as it progresses.

dogger
Suns_PSD
2/12/2012 11:31am
Really nice motorcycle. Good job!

I've ridden a friends AF500. He ported and carbed it for exteme top end. He also balanced the crank.

He also installed a decompression release (it has 230psi) and it's reasonable to start.

It felt like a smooth 450F that had 65 hp. It was just super smooth w/ a really long powerband.

It also handled like a CR125.
wildbill
2/12/2012 11:48am
Looks like a perfect, works Honda.

Thanks for including the note about the difference between the steel framer and the new alumi for us that haven't had a chance.
I've always wondered how my, evil forked, 89 would match up.

I like the Stanton thought too at the vet des nats. Could get some unobtanium. (as if it really needs any more)

Keep us up to date on the 250 build.
mxb2
2/12/2012 1:11pm
Love the bike, if you were to sell that bike as is, what kinda money is it worth?
sozo
2/12/2012 1:18pm
Beautiful!
SoCalMX70
2/12/2012 1:30pm
Suns_PSD wrote:
Really nice motorcycle. Good job! I've ridden a friends AF500. He ported and carbed it for exteme top end. He also balanced the crank. He also...
Really nice motorcycle. Good job!

I've ridden a friends AF500. He ported and carbed it for exteme top end. He also balanced the crank.

He also installed a decompression release (it has 230psi) and it's reasonable to start.

It felt like a smooth 450F that had 65 hp. It was just super smooth w/ a really long powerband.

It also handled like a CR125.
Jeeez 230psi? What gas is he running?
docwob
11/24/2014 7:01am
Credit where credit is due,very nice work.
Denn700
11/24/2014 8:41am
Nice!! I can't see the pics of your other builds. Can you post them? I would also love to see pics of that 250 you are building.
Juss
11/24/2014 8:56am
Wow!
kiwifan
11/24/2014 10:57am
I haven't seen this thread before, very impressive build
Denn700
11/24/2014 11:58am
I just saw that this was from 2012. Did you build the 250?
sozo
11/24/2014 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2014 12:19pm
Be proud... that's amazing! ahaha just noticed I commented prior but I still feel the same about that bike ahaha!
dogger315
11/25/2014 11:06am
Denn700 wrote:
I just saw that this was from 2012. Did you build the 250?
Thanks a bunch!

The 500 is still going strong. I did a couple of rebuilds on the engine. Last time I replaced the steel sleeve with an
Aluminum one. That eliminates the cold seizure problems and I can run tighter tolerances on the piston and rings.
I also installed a compression release to help save my Right side case cover from cracking. Pro Circuit rebuilt the
suspension and added all the latest internals. I installed a longer swingarm from a CRF450R to lengthen the wheel
base a bit and help me keep the front end on the ground more often. The bike liked to stall at the worst time (face
of a jump, etc.), so I poked around and found the carb vents were being flattened by the swingarm. I re-routed the
vent lines to a carb vent cannister located between the head stays. New plastic and graphics every year along with
anything else that's worn. Still a great ride.

I'm still working on the CR250. Since the original post in 2012, I decided to abandon the 2010-12 CRF frame idea
for a 2009. Honda never got the geometry right on the gen 5 frames (or anything newer), so I stuck with the great
handling gen 4. The bike has taken a long time for several reasons. First, I'm swamped with other projects and
personal projects always take a back seat. Second, There is virtually no information floating around on a gen 4
CR250 conversion, so everything I do is new. This leads to a lot of "one step forward, two steps back". Finally,
the frame conversion was very difficult because I wanted to use the OE alloy tubing for the replacement cradle,
and I wanted to use the OE "Y" instead of an aftermarket billet piece - all to keep as much of the original frame
dynamics as possible.

With that said, the bike is nearly done. I've been posting updates on another forum here, but here are some pictures
of the highlights so far:

Finished 2000 engine. Crankworks balanced crank, HRC single ring piston, TMR cylinder and head work, REM bottom end,
Hinson clutch, HRC stator, Vortex X10 IC, VForce 3, and a Dick's racing PWK (not in the picture)

Pro Circuit "works" SFF Air

DID Dirstar LTX rims, Excel spline drives and TCR hubs

Converted airbox. 2005 CRF250R airbox, 1997 CR250 intake hose, 2002 Twin Air Power flow ring, billet Aluminum face plate

Dick's racing carburetor. taper bore 36-39mm, Intelajet, air straightener

Finished frame with hybrid 2005 CR250 cradle

Roller

Latest picture

I'm hoping to wrap this up soon. I'll post pictures when finished.

dogger

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/25/2014 11:18am
I like that you know you're supposed to run yellow backgrounds on the open bike and white ones on the 250. That detail would be lost on a lot of people nowadays. Sweet bikes!
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
11/25/2014 3:58pm
So who modified your frames?
YZ125H1
11/26/2014 6:31am
Wow amazing work! I would really like to stick a YZ250 motor in my 07 CRF250R that would be my ideal bike.
dogger315
11/26/2014 8:25am
Thanks!

It is pretty sad, Falcon. But if you think about it, it's been 20 years since the AMA dumped the 500 class.
A whole generation of racers have grown up never seeing the spectacle.

Joko, AJ Wagner did the sweet job on my CR500 frame, but I do my own frames now. Here is a series of pictures
detailing the evolution from stock '09 CRF250R frame to what I have now:

New (takeoff) 2009 CRF250R frame

Cradle removed, dummy engine installed revealing all the problems with the fit.

After many hours with an angle grinder and a flap wheel

OE "Y". I have over 20 hours of work with a vertical mill to get to this point

Same process to clean out the lower cradle pockets, except this time I had to do it free hand

Test fitting new cradle rails. These rails are made of the same alloy and wall thickness as the originals. The bend is patterned
after the 2002-07 CR250 cradle. This opens up the engine area enough to allow the engine to rotate down into the correct
position to maintain the same CS sprocket to swingarm pivot bolt angle and distance as the CRF engine. I lost one inch of
ground clearance, now it's the same as a 2002-07 CR250.

Clearance with engine installed

I TIG welded the new cradle and "Y" into place

Engine mounts mocked up

Engine mounts welded in. Frame finished

As you can see from the pictures, this conversion is a PITB, easily the most difficult of any. The CR250 engine is shorter and
wider than the CR500 engine. This causes all kinds of havoc with the clearance between the pivot bolt and the lower frame
cast sections and cradle as shown in the first picture with the dummy engine.

Most that have done these either cut a divot out of the bottom rail or tilt the engine up for clearance. Neither is what you would
see from Honda, so I did it the hard way. What all this work gets me is the best handling CRF250 frame with as much of the
original chassis dynamics (flex vs stiffness), as possible, powered by the best CR250 engine Honda ever produced - all in my
opinion of course.

Once this bike is done and sorted out, i plan to hand it over to some "talent" that can still wring 100% out of a stout 250 two
stroke to see if I'm right about this combination.

dogger
CR250Rider
11/26/2014 8:52am
Cygnus wrote:
Beautiful! Any idea how much you have invested?
I'm curious too. Investment is right. A good investment.

I'm super interested in your work and I personally consider you to be an artist.

just wow
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
11/26/2014 11:22am
Thanks for the frame fab info - what did Service Honda charge to modify your first frame? Will they offer that service for anyone?
SwapperMX
11/26/2014 2:03pm
Cant wait to see some footage of a pro riding it. That will be good to watch !!
dogger315
11/28/2014 8:51am
Cygnus wrote:
Beautiful! Any idea how much you have invested?
CR250Rider wrote:
I'm curious too. Investment is right. A good investment.

I'm super interested in your work and I personally consider you to be an artist.

just wow
Thanks for the very kind words, CR250Rider. By the way, very cool avatar.

I'm sure it's pretty obvious, these bikes aren't low cost. I built a 1993 CR250 from scratch using all new parts, a few
years ago. The total cost was staggering when compared to the cost to buy that same bike new.

I do build "budget" versions of these bikes for others that just want an up-to-date frame with a 250 or 500 two stroke
engine. Those can be pretty inexpensive if I'm using used parts.

The conversions I do for myself are built with all new parts and quite a few expensive aftermarket goodies as well.
These are NOT budget bikes - just the opposite, they are pretty much cost no object to the extent my income can
support.

As far as an investment, I'm not sure they can be looked at that way. I consider bikes like my 1973 CR250M and
1979 CR250R good investments because I have already been offered considerably more money for both than
what I have tied up in them. I look at these two conversions more as "protest" bikes. This is me telling Honda
this is what I'd rather ride/race than the new junk you're selling. I'm also sure Honda couldn't care less.

While it can be a real challenge, it's also a lot of fun building these conversions. I especially like being able to pick
all the best parts from various years to try and come up with the ultimate combination. It's also pretty cool knowing
you won't see another bike like yours when you pull into the pits.

Joko, Service replaces a good portion of the OE cradle with a solid billet piece. It starts just below the radiators and
extends to just forward of the foot pegs. The billet piece has the new engine mounts machined in place. They also
provided the necessary radiator mods, special PC pipe and silencer, airbox mods, one piece billet head stay and
some other pieces. Unfortunately, business is so good that AJ doesn't have time to do just frame mods anymore.

dogger

Post a reply to: 2008 Honda CR500

The Latest