2007 RM250 VS 2014 250SX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2018 1:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2018 2:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm searching the market for a good condition 250 2 banger that will be as reliable as possible whilst also putting a big grin on my face. I have come across a 2014 KTM 250sx for $5400NZD, with 90 hours on the clock with a recent top end rebuild, pro circuit pipe, other than that it is mostly all stock. Also i have found a 2007 RM250 for $4400NZD that has done 74 hours from new, fresh top end, rekluse clutch, fmf pipe and other bells and whistles.

I am searching for help as to which bike is a better purchase considering price and performance of each bike.Is the KTM leaps and bounds ahead of the RM in terms of performance, or will a amateur rider barely notice the difference between the two, and with the price in mind would it be a better option to opt for the RM.

Cheers

|

3/18/2018 2:02 AM

I went from an 07 RM250 to 2012 250sx. The RM had a pro circuit pipe and muffler, the ktm was completely stock and better in every way. It made more power but hooked up better, brakes were better, I didn't notice a real difference in turn in but exiting the turns the ktm just drove straight where the RM would wiggle. I had the same guy do the suspension on both bikes and they were about equal, I lost 10kgs not long after I got the ktm done so it was stiff when I sold it, if I was going to keep it I would have dropped a spring rate on the forks.

That was my first ktm and it did feel different to the jap bikes I grew up on but it didn't take too long to get used to it.

Can't comment on longevity of the ktm as I only put 12 hours on it before I got injured and sold it. The RM never gave me any troubles with probably around 50 hours on it and I bought it second hand but when working on the RM it just didn't feel as solid as my current YZ. Never really turned a wrench on my ktm.

I'm mid pack C grade and I could tell the difference. You won't go wrong with either bike in my opinion.Photo

Photo

|

3/18/2018 2:24 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah i'm leaning towards the KTM 250SX at the moment - although it changes every 5 minutes lol - as it seems to me it is worth spending $900 more in order to get newer technology components. Although in terms of resale value would the ktm depreciate quicker than the zuki considering the RM250 isn't in production anymore?

|

3/18/2018 3:22 AM

If you are worried about the resale get a yz250 lol. Ktm's, hold their value pretty well but everytime they bring out a new model yours gets older. I sold my rm so quick, even had a bidding war on it with one guy offering $500 more than I was asking.

For what it's worth I felt faster around the track on the ktm than the rm.

|