2007 Honda cr125, cr144 Engine Mod Questions

DM268
Edited Date/Time 11/15/2020 8:50pm
Hi everyone,

I have been riding motocross for fun for the las 8 or so years. I am an average B rider who typically only rides tracks.

I am looking to send my 07 cr125 engine to get modded to a 144. I have heard good and bad things about Eric Gorr, same with Tom Morgan. Does anyone have any input for me? I plan on keeping it running with pump gas (non oxy). 
|
yz133rider
11/13/2020 5:11am
Send to tom Morgan, discuss what you’re looking for And post up your review!!
11/13/2020 5:59am
I had an 07 CR125 for a season and a half, absolutely loved it!! I thought I would keep it forever but realized it just a bike and although cool to say I have the last model of Honda CR's it didn't make sense to keep.

IMO if you need more power you are better off looking for a different bike. Any money you put into the engine you will not get back if you decide to sell. Reliability and parts availability will be reduced, not a good combo. There is a mixed bag of reviews, some love 144's, some don't. Is it worth risking $600+ on engine mods you "might" like? Put that money towards a different bike, you will be much better off in the long run.
Rickyisms
11/13/2020 7:38am
There's really not a lot to help the gen 3 Honda 125s. The best mod we ever did was throw on an older HPP cylinder on my 2006.

The Shop

DM268
11/13/2020 8:55am
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have probably clarified some more information. I actually have a fairly decent inventory of bikes. I have an 03 and 06 cr 250, an 03, 05 and an 07 cr 125. I enjoy riding both the 250s and the 125s.
My 03's are my indoor bikes (MN winter) and my 07 and 06 are for the outdoors so I can go through the bikes on its off season. I bought the 05 as an extra 125 to have some fun playing with mods. I know the ktm 150sx is still going to be faster all around but I am a die hard honda person until I can't find parts any longer. I have been tempted to switch to ktm just haven't yet and want to continue to ride red for now. I also know that it really comes down to the rider skill vs engine size. I just wanted to have some fun trying things out and learning. I haven't really been one to want modded out engines but lately I have had an interest in it.

I have a few extra oem cylinders and heads (bought them when it took over a year to get one for my 03cr250 because I was concerned that they will stop producing them soon). With that being said I can always return it back to stock.

I haven't gone to ktm for a few reasons. I don't want to deal with air forks ( i know you can switch them to cone valves but it isn't cheap) I love the reliability of the bikes I own and have seen even new bikes have issues no matter the brand. I also really like the way my bikes handle and have been on them for years. I am not trying to go pro or anything just out hitting track with my friends and occasionally racing nothing serious. To me with the bikes I have, I would rather invest $600 in modding an engine just for the fun of it then buying a new ktm for $7-8k when all of my bikes are paid off and I have tons and tons of extra parts. My friends joke with me saying I run a factory honda shop.

I mean did you watch red bull straight rhythm last time they had it? The old Honda did fairly well against the new ktms haha they may be slow but it is also enjoyable being out there passing people on a 15 year old bike when they have the newest and the greatest. Its all about having fun for me and my Hondas let me do that without dropping $7k. The modding was just going to be for a little fun project
crc245
11/13/2020 9:04am
Send it to TMR, dial it in, and ride the wheels off it! If possible, I'd recommend using the Cometic C3537 top end gasket kit and Wiseco YZ125 58mm piston kit: #0903-0682 from Parts Unlimited. They're readily available and do not require custom ordering like some big-bore specific (Max RPMs/Gorr) kits.

When tuned, the 144 is much easier to keep on the pipe than stock bore. Mimics the OE powerband, still not much over-rev, but with more go. Hopefully you have the TMX dialed in or have a 38mm PWK on it already as well. Running 13-50 gearing, so much different than the 13-52 stock. For video reference/sound, I'm 200lbs. and still enjoy riding mine: https://youtu.be/xcb746vup9s

Had HP Racing do mine years ago: Loved the work, but Mr. Harris missed the delivery window by over four months...#WouldNotRecommend

In a nutshell, it's still slower than a modern 150SX/TC with a narrower operating window, but the best handling bike on any track with solid build quality all these years later. BTW, this one was a stock bore and didn't sound too bad for a Gen3 Fun25: https://youtu.be/w5G7s3dKu1I
DM268
11/13/2020 9:19am
I do have a PWK carb laying around. I have lectrons for all of my bikes except the one I want to mod. I am waiting until the mods are done so I can let Lectron know how to set it up. I have heard that about the yz pistons, but have been reading to use this wiseco piston part number 846M05800 that Wiseco makes for the YZ144's.
b_kowalsk
11/13/2020 2:38pm
For what its worth I have a 2007 CR125 with a 134 big bore. The way that it is ported it actually feels like it has less bottom end than stock but with a nice transition into the mid and top end pull with over rev. Stock the 05-07 bikes have a very midrange only focused powerband. My 134 will actually rev out now and in all honesty it probably runs similar to a stock yz125.
DM268
11/13/2020 9:24pm
Thanks for that. I have thought about either doing the 134 or 139 big bore as well. Looking at other forums I I have read the 144 helps a lot more all around to include the bottom end. Who did your mods for a 134?
dunerider209
11/13/2020 10:13pm
IMO ( and people will jump down my throat for this) Terry Varner is probably the best cr builder. That 125 at straight rhythm was a Varner build. I have a 02 cr125 play bike with a full Varner motor and can say it absolutely rips and holds it own on the track against the KTMs. I had plans for a 134 or 144 kit, but Varner talked me into keeping stock bore. It did take a while to get the thing back from him, but honestly was worth the wait. I would highly consider him. The only thing is, he for the most part won't touch it unless you are going to run race gas. He's definitely worth a call.

chump6784
11/13/2020 10:18pm
IMO ( and people will jump down my throat for this) Terry Varner is probably the best cr builder. That 125 at straight rhythm was a...
IMO ( and people will jump down my throat for this) Terry Varner is probably the best cr builder. That 125 at straight rhythm was a Varner build. I have a 02 cr125 play bike with a full Varner motor and can say it absolutely rips and holds it own on the track against the KTMs. I had plans for a 134 or 144 kit, but Varner talked me into keeping stock bore. It did take a while to get the thing back from him, but honestly was worth the wait. I would highly consider him. The only thing is, he for the most part won't touch it unless you are going to run race gas. He's definitely worth a call.

I was waiting for someone to recommend varner as a joke, after the thread about him on here I don't know how anyone could send their engine to him
DM268
11/13/2020 10:19pm
I would love to keep it stock if it can rip that good I would be willing to run race gas. What did you do for a carb used the stock one or? I tried to find his contact info but couldn't are you able to help me get it?
DM268
11/13/2020 10:23pm
I did forget all about all of the negative things I have heard about Terry and people not getting their parts back from him...
11/13/2020 10:46pm
I own the best 2002 CR125 that money could buy. It finished 2nd at RBSR last year. No expense spared. It’s not even close in performance to a husky/Ktm 150 - but neither of those are cool.

It started as a garage find with a crankcase full of sand but an immaculate chassis back in 2013.
I paid $900 for it. New bottom end bearings/crank/clutch + Eric gorr 144 kit. It never ran right - rode it a bit then put it on display for 5 years.

I was in about $5k at this point
Bike $900
Rebuild bottom end + 144 kit $1500
Clamps/plastic/graphics/wheels $1500
A kit shock + b kit forks $1000

When we decided to race RBSR we spoke with Varner and he was all about it. Dyno showed the Gorr 144 kit was actually worse than stock. Not anywhere in the rev range was it better.

Terry suggested a 134 and had a spec. Another $2k in engine parts and $2k in Terry’s time and we ended with right around 38hp. Not a KTM beater by any means, but 7 more than the Eric gorr 144 had and it’s noticeable.

The moral of this story is: anyone can buy a bike off CL, build it to stock, scotch brite a frame and bolt on new plastics, pipe and stickers. It’s an entirely different world to get an old bike to run at its peak performance. You’ll turn a $5k project into a $10k project. More than a 2021 crf450.

For the performance, if you have the budget I wouldn’t get anyone other than Terry to do your bike. I also didn’t see my $10k cr125 from RBSR last year until world 2 stroke this year. Almost 12 months. After reading threads in here i thought I may never see it again. Spoke to Terry Thursday before 2 stroke race and he assured me it would be ready to ride Friday morning and it was.

Side note: best mod you can get for this bike would be a factory transmission - or develop your own with a taller 2nd gear or shorter 3rd gear.

That’s the best info you will ever get on a last gen CR125. I’ll probably take it to Pala tomorrow so if you’re local come check it out.

dunerider209
11/13/2020 10:52pm
IMO ( and people will jump down my throat for this) Terry Varner is probably the best cr builder. That 125 at straight rhythm was a...

chump6784 wrote:
I was waiting for someone to recommend varner as a joke, after the thread about him on here I don't know how anyone could send their...
I was waiting for someone to recommend varner as a joke, after the thread about him on here I don't know how anyone could send their engine to him
Yea, not trying to start a pissing match about the guy, probably should have handled the situation better or hire some help if that thread is 100% accurate. Just bringing to light a cr builder with a pretty good engine package for a cr. It's been 3 years since he did mine and it took longer than I expected but I also know others at my local track with crs that have had good experiences with him. I did my research and chose Varner solely based off his experience with the crs and his name is worth mentioning solely off a performance stand point.
ratonmacias
11/13/2020 11:23pm
DM268 wrote:
I do have a PWK carb laying around. I have lectrons for all of my bikes except the one I want to mod. I am waiting...
I do have a PWK carb laying around. I have lectrons for all of my bikes except the one I want to mod. I am waiting until the mods are done so I can let Lectron know how to set it up. I have heard that about the yz pistons, but have been reading to use this wiseco piston part number 846M05800 that Wiseco makes for the YZ144's.
The 58 mm bore usually makes most modern 125s a 144.
DM268
11/14/2020 2:13am
109 wrote:
I own the best 2002 CR125 that money could buy. It finished 2nd at RBSR last year. No expense spared. It’s not even close in performance...
I own the best 2002 CR125 that money could buy. It finished 2nd at RBSR last year. No expense spared. It’s not even close in performance to a husky/Ktm 150 - but neither of those are cool.

It started as a garage find with a crankcase full of sand but an immaculate chassis back in 2013.
I paid $900 for it. New bottom end bearings/crank/clutch + Eric gorr 144 kit. It never ran right - rode it a bit then put it on display for 5 years.

Bike $900

When we decided to race RBSR we spoke with Varner and he was all about it. Dyno showed the Gorr 144 kit was actually worse than stock. Not anywhere in the rev range was it better.

Terry suggested a 134 and had a spec. Another $2k in engine parts and $2k in Terry’s time and we ended with right around 38hp. Not a KTM beater by any means, but 7 more than the Eric gorr 144 had and it’s noticeable.

The moral of this story is: anyone can buy a bike off CL, build it to stock, scotch brite a frame and bolt on new plastics, pipe and stickers. It’s an entirely different world to get an old bike to run at its peak performance. You’ll turn a $5k project into a $10k project. More than a 2021 crf450.

For the performance, if you have the budget I wouldn’t get anyone other than Terry to do your bike. I also didn’t see my $10k cr125 from RBSR last year until world 2 stroke this year. Almost 12 months. After reading threads in here i thought I may never see it again. Spoke to Terry Thursday before 2 stroke race and he assured me it would be ready to ride Friday morning and it was.

Side note: best mod you can get for this bike would be a factory transmission - or develop your own with a taller 2nd gear or shorter 3rd gear.

That’s the best info you will ever get on a last gen CR125. I’ll probably take it to Pala tomorrow so if you’re local come check it out.

If this bike was an 05+ do you think that Varner would have made it a 144 vs a 134? From my understanding only the 05+ cr125's can be a 144.

I really don't want to spend $4k in engine mods for this bike, I am more looking at the $5k plan haha. For the skill level I am at and not trying to compete at the highest level (sure I wish I had the skills and experience to do that). I am too old and just enjoy riding as a hobby.

It was awesome watching that bike compete against the 150s at RBSR! I was pumped for you. Are you Micheal Leib? Or did you buy the bike from him? Or loan him the bike?

I would love to come check it out, but I actually live in MN and am deployed across the pond at the moment.
DM268
11/14/2020 2:17am
Currently I am leaning towards contacting Tom Morgan. I have no doubt that Varner is a great builder, but the reliability of the work being done somewhat in a timely manner concerns me. I have also been considering Chad Watts. Any other input? Still cant decide leave it as a 125, 149,139 or 144. I like how the 125 revs out but I would like a little bit more grunt on the lower end and that's why I am leaning towards a 144.
Drail24
11/14/2020 5:20am
Interestingly following this topic as I have an '00 CR125 that I am planning to rebuild also. I too have been debating on what bore size to go with, as I have read over and over again that the 144's just don't "feel" like a 125 with regards to how they rev and make power. I've been bouncing back and forth between stock bore size or a 134 (I think it is for this year model). It's just a fun rebuild project and I am not going to put an excess of money into the engine, but if there are a few reasonable mods that can be made to improve it, while keeping that 125cc feel, then I'm in.

I forget now, was 2000 the last year you could run the old HPP cylinders on the bottom end? Everyone seems to agree one of the best mods was adapting the older HPP cylinders to the newer engines, where it was applicable.

Here's another builder name that will cause a stir on here.. Derek Harris. You can search the posts and draw your own conclusion. Not recommending him one way or the other, as I only know what I've read on here, but he always seemed pretty knowledgeable and experienced as far as engine performance was concerned.
dunerider209
11/14/2020 8:47am
DM268 wrote:
I did forget all about all of the negative things I have heard about Terry and people not getting their parts back from him...
Yea man, that thread was a bit ugly. I didn't even finish it. I ran the stock carb. Since it is a play bike I didn't go lectron or keihin, but he mentioned the stock carb is good if dialed in properly. Varner motorsports is his website. When he did mine I sent him the carb through the exhaust flange. I wanted a little more power but still have the 125 feel so I was on the fence about a 134 vs stock bore plus I was on a budget.

I narrowed my search down to Tom morgan, watts, Varner and a local tuner ( Haeseker racing). I chose Varner, but there wasn't a 15 page bash thread at the time either lol. I looked at who was building the bikes for the two stroke national, and from talking to people at local tracks with their crs and his name kept coming up.

I would call Tom and talk with him. Honestly, you would think since Varner knows about the thread, he would make a business change when it comes to customer service and logistics, but you never know. Tom seems like a safe bet from the research I did a few years ago.

11/14/2020 8:52am
109 wrote:
I own the best 2002 CR125 that money could buy. It finished 2nd at RBSR last year. No expense spared. It’s not even close in performance...

Bike $900

DM268 wrote:
If this bike was an 05+ do you think that Varner would have made it a 144 vs a 134? From my understanding only the 05+...

If this bike was an 05+ do you think that Varner would have made it a 144 vs a 134? From my understanding only the 05+ cr125's can be a 144.

I really don't want to spend $4k in engine mods for this bike, I am more looking at the $5k plan haha. For the skill level I am at and not trying to compete at the highest level (sure I wish I had the skills and experience to do that). I am too old and just enjoy riding as a hobby.

It was awesome watching that bike compete against the 150s at RBSR! I was pumped for you. Are you Micheal Leib? Or did you buy the bike from him? Or loan him the bike?

I would love to come check it out, but I actually live in MN and am deployed across the pond at the moment.
I leant him the bike and did the project with him for some fun. I think you’ll find 02-07 the same thing works.
What we found is simply boring out doesn’t really get results. The results were found in the dyno time testing pipes, carbs, jetting, timing etc.
Yes most people are not looking to race when they build a 20 year old 125. Having an extra 20% over stock certainly makes it a lot more fun to ride even if your just ripping up the vet track with your kids.

DM268
11/14/2020 8:57am
DM268 wrote:
Yea man, that thread was a bit ugly. I didn't even finish it. I ran the stock carb. Since it is a play bike I didn't...
Yea man, that thread was a bit ugly. I didn't even finish it. I ran the stock carb. Since it is a play bike I didn't go lectron or keihin, but he mentioned the stock carb is good if dialed in properly. Varner motorsports is his website. When he did mine I sent him the carb through the exhaust flange. I wanted a little more power but still have the 125 feel so I was on the fence about a 134 vs stock bore plus I was on a budget.

I narrowed my search down to Tom morgan, watts, Varner and a local tuner ( Haeseker racing). I chose Varner, but there wasn't a 15 page bash thread at the time either lol. I looked at who was building the bikes for the two stroke national, and from talking to people at local tracks with their crs and his name kept coming up.

I would call Tom and talk with him. Honestly, you would think since Varner knows about the thread, he would make a business change when it comes to customer service and logistics, but you never know. Tom seems like a safe bet from the research I did a few years ago.

I have really enjoyed my lectrons since I do like to get out of MN and ride in different states. Really minimizes the work I have to do, I always check the spark plug after a few min a couple of times to make sure it isn't too lean but its been really good with minimal adjusting.

I appreciate all of the info. I'll be doing the same just wanted a few little mods done without spending a fortune. I can ride my 250 if I really am in need of more HP vs spending thousands to squeeze it out of my 125s.
Markopolo400
11/14/2020 9:25am
109 wrote:

Bike $900

Wait - you got your engine back from Varner???
H4L
11/14/2020 9:27am
PC can also make that engine sing on good race fuel.. They've done the R&D on these engines & have very good engine specs on the late model CR's.. For the price you will pay on the cyl / head mods (about $300 + ?), it's the best bang for the buck I've experienced in 4 + decades of riding.
11/14/2020 11:00am
Currently restoring, building a 2004 Honda CR125R.

Im enjoying every bit of it.

DM268
11/14/2020 11:47am
Currently restoring, building a 2004 Honda CR125R. Im enjoying every bit of it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/14/459319/s1200_4E5A8516_B165_4D4C_9859_EC76DB444237.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/14/459318/s1200_C7A2B04B_B784_4337_B121_81E98F60F9FA.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/14/459320/s1200_F8374BD6_E7B0_4057_B837_83CE0C50FA46.jpg[/img]
Currently restoring, building a 2004 Honda CR125R.

Im enjoying every bit of it.

Nice that thing is looking 👌🏻 What did you clean the frame with?
DM268
11/14/2020 11:51am
H4L wrote:
PC can also make that engine sing on good race fuel.. They've done the R&D on these engines & have very good engine specs on the...
PC can also make that engine sing on good race fuel.. They've done the R&D on these engines & have very good engine specs on the late model CR's.. For the price you will pay on the cyl / head mods (about $300 + ?), it's the best bang for the buck I've experienced in 4 + decades of riding.
I forgot about them. I also have considered chad watts. So many to choose from it’s just hard to say who I should go through. Did you keep yours as a 125?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
11/14/2020 12:00pm
There’s some vids on YouTube of CR134s.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
11/14/2020 12:01pm
DM268 wrote:
Currently I am leaning towards contacting Tom Morgan. I have no doubt that Varner is a great builder, but the reliability of the work being done...
Currently I am leaning towards contacting Tom Morgan. I have no doubt that Varner is a great builder, but the reliability of the work being done somewhat in a timely manner concerns me. I have also been considering Chad Watts. Any other input? Still cant decide leave it as a 125, 149,139 or 144. I like how the 125 revs out but I would like a little bit more grunt on the lower end and that's why I am leaning towards a 144.
Morgan and Gorr are both great builders and cant go wrong with either, now Varner is a piece of work who will sit on your build indefinitely even after you pay in full so AVOID VARNER LIKE THE PLAGUE !!
DM268
11/14/2020 12:10pm
DM268 wrote:
Currently I am leaning towards contacting Tom Morgan. I have no doubt that Varner is a great builder, but the reliability of the work being done...
Typo 134 not 149

Post a reply to: 2007 Honda cr125, cr144 Engine Mod Questions

The Latest