2006 RM 250 sitting for 14 years

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2022 3:04 PM

Hey y'all,

I've got a 2006 RM250, completely stock. I quit riding and racing in 2008/2009 to focus on college, career and family, but am finally ready to get back into riding.

As this bike has been sitting for a long time, what would you do to make sure I don't blow it up?

I did try to start this bike a few months ago while visiting my Dad's place. It has compression but probably a gunked up carb.

Cleaning the carb out is a given, but do I need to do a top end?

I think the suspension could definitely use a refresh and I've already priced that out around $700 at a local shop.

Let me know what else you think I should check or replace.

|

8/3/2022 3:09 PM

Crankshaft seals

|

8/3/2022 3:13 PM

Get a genuine OEM parts carb rebuild kit, JD Jetting probably has one. No need to do a top end of it wasn't bad before it sat.

Not a bad idea to pour a little oil in the spark plug hole before you start it. Motor oil or two stroke oil.

New air filter.

Ideally regrease linkage, arm, and steering stem, but if it was stored inside the grease will still be there and ok-ish.

|

8/3/2022 3:17 PM

I'm sure your thought of all this but just in case...

Change all fluids - premix, tranny oil, coolant
Clean Carb (you already mentioned)
New Spark plug
New air filter
While you have the coolant drained, I'd pull the top end off and check piston/rings for wear and replace if out of spec. De-carbonize head & power valve.
Check Swingarm and linkage bearings and regrease. Might want to do Steering head bearings also.
Pull ignition side cover and check for condensation, rust, gunk, etc.

Depending upon where it was stored (climate controlled area or not) you might need to replace main seals and water pump seals.

A few thoughts off the top of my head....

|

8/3/2022 3:57 PM

You should just sell it to me

|

8/3/2022 4:04 PM

Remove pipe to inspect cylinder walls for rust. But if you tried to start it recently if there was any rust it possibly already damaged the rings. If the fuel valve has a filter on it inside the tank check it for degradation. Air filter likely dry rotted.

|

8/3/2022 4:25 PM

Check the crank seals. Especially on the ignition side because if the rubber has hardened, it will suck air causing a very lean situation and seize your topend. That should be mandatory on all old 2 strokes

|

8/3/2022 4:27 PM

As mentioned I'd be more worried about crank seals. If you have blubbering idle, and/or unusually high amounts of smoke, have a closer look at your main seals. They grow less rubbery over time and are prone to air leaks.

You can check the ignition side by lightly spraying some WD-40 with the cover removed. If it surges in idle speed you have a bad main seal on at least one side.

|

Ride like a girl!!!
Insta queenofspodes
2017 KTM 250 SX build thread
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/3/2022 4:53 PM

Other than selling it to me (the obvious best choice) I’d do a really good cleaning of the carb, replace the air filter, gas line, fluids and crank seals and trail ride it for an hour. Grease the bearings too. The grips and tires are probably going to fail soon. Like you already mentioned, service the suspension soon. Cables might be a good idea.

Enjoy!

|

8/3/2022 5:07 PM

Don’t even think about riding it. I’d hate to see you get hurt. I’ll even go as far as to take it off your hands. For your safety…

|

8/3/2022 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2022 5:19 PM

Depending on whether it was actually prepared for storage or just left, rust spots on the big end and main bearings will be the biggest concern.
Other than that and general servicing, clean carb, fresh fuel and fluids, start it, ride it and listen for nasty noises. First sign of any, rebuild it.

|

8/3/2022 6:01 PM

Fresh gas, check rad fluid and go rip

|

8/3/2022 6:12 PM

how many hours were on it prior to you parking it?

thats what we need to know first, tbh.

|

8/4/2022 2:35 AM

bite_the_curb wrote:

how many hours were on it prior to you parking it?

thats what we need to know first, tbh.

I have no clue how many hours were on it before I parked it, but I can say that we never did a top end on it and we got it somewhat used.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I hadn't thought of greasing certain parts, etc, though I should have.

It was stored in a garage part of the time, other times in a shed not well insulated, in Idaho.

Several people expressed interest in the bike as well, great to know there is demand for a bike like this.

If I'm being honest, I really want a YZ125 or 250X, off-road model. I will probably ride tracks again on rare occasions, if they are tame enough, but plan to ride a lot more trails.

I'm thinking that I really need to freshen this bike up and possibly sell it to someone who will love and appreciate it more than I will, and if it's not running I'm not going to get what it's worth. Granted, fixing it up may far surpass what I can earn from it, so it's a balance. I can do some of this work myself though.

|

8/4/2022 2:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2022 3:01 AM

Pics?

I have a good friend with a 2004 RM250. Barely used. He sends me pics every spring of him geared up and ready to burn 5-gallon-a-day through it (like the old days) and get back to smoking the locals. Plenty of 30+2s coming up he says. He never does, of course, and it's still mint.

Photo

|

8/4/2022 2:52 AM

Generally bikes that have sat for a while have rusty crank bearings from a few that I’ve rebuilt ,it’s cold here in winter and condensation is a problem.
Fresh gas and see how it runs, might be fine 🤞,you’ll hear the bearings rumble if there shot🤙

|

8/4/2022 5:46 AM

its a good bike, i'd just rebuild it if you plan on getting a yz125X or whatever. you can modify it to make it more trail worthy.

its a bike worth saving

|

8/5/2022 12:39 PM

Where are the pics of this rm!!!

|

8/5/2022 1:28 PM

Air leak test for sure. Crank seals are gonna be suspect as well as the intake rubber.

Fresh tires. The old tires are hard as a rock by now.

Keep an eye on the fork seals and shock seals for leakage. Go see Steve Hollingsworth at Fastlap when you need some work.

Other than that, clean the carb, put in a new air filter, and enjoy.

|

8/5/2022 1:56 PM

Replace the rings, top end gaskets, all new seals, rebuild carb, grease everything. Expect to need to do a rebuild on the fork and shock much sooner then later.
Those you can wait to see if the leak or blow out. It won't change the cost of rebuild.

If you don't pull the top end and replace all the seals in the motor outside of the center gasket your asking for a blown motor. I've had quite a few friend not listen to this advice on bikes that sat for 2 or 3 years. An every one of them ended up with blown motors. But what do I know only been racing and rebuilding them for 20 years Lol

|

8/5/2022 3:00 PM

I'm restoring a 1988 cr 250 that has not been started in 30 years. LOL

|

8/5/2022 6:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2022 6:39 PM

Thread is two days old and no pictures.

THREAD FAIL! Lol

|

8/5/2022 6:48 PM

If not said be sure to fill tank with gas then flush, could be old premix slime in the tank/petcock.

|

8/5/2022 6:48 PM

The bike you have is well sought after as you can see. You may want to keep it. Lots of good advice in this thread. My advice would be to go through it carefully. Take time to do it right. It will be worth it.

|

Come and take it

8/6/2022 3:23 AM

1911 wrote:

THREAD FAIL! Lol

I don't have any pics of it off hand. I left home in 2009 and have ridden it once since, maybe in 2014.

I'll try to share at some point...

This is the other difficult part, is it's in Idaho and I'm in the south, so I'm trying to figure out how to get it shipped. I have an uncle that is a trucker that I might be able to meet in Dallas - he may bring it out for free but that's still 10 hours one way from me.

|

8/6/2022 9:52 AM

1911 wrote:

THREAD FAIL! Lol

yamah177 wrote:

I don't have any pics of it off hand. I left home in 2009 and have ridden it once since, maybe in 2014.

I'll try to share at ...more

I am just giving you a hard time. Wish I had a 06 RM250 laying around. Hope you can get is soon, and get it running.

|

8/6/2022 11:58 AM

A bunch of guys have already said Crank seals, you should seriously listen to them

at a minimum clean out the carb with lacquer thinner and use compressed are on the jets and orifices

I would check the rubber (gas line, inner tubes, tires) and replace if suspect

Braaap, enjoy

|

~~~~ ^ Genius downvoters of a subjective opinion (Only Beta's Downvote)
Brapasaurus Rex

8/6/2022 12:14 PM

Imo, take everything apart, fresh seals, fluids, fresh tires and tubes. I mean everything, motor, suspension, steering stem.

Or option B: sell it at a premium.

|

8/6/2022 2:42 PM

Brake cylinders and calipers may have to be rebuilt if they won’t pump up.
Bearings can develop flat spots if they aren’t rotated periodically. If the engine has excess vibration it’s probably the crank bearings.

|