2004 YZ125 Project: What do you guys wanna see?

11/14/2014 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2014 10:02am
December is coming up, and my winter project will be starting. But i need ideas! What do you guys want to see?

I have a couple potential ideas i have grabbed off of vital, what do you guys think looks best?

This one has a really clean, stock look and its my favourite

another nice one clean look but not as stock as first one

little bit different, looks good and got some different colours to it etc

What look should i go after? im leaning toward the first bike, but i like the last one as well

|
dedi684
11/14/2014 6:42pm
Ive got a bunch of parts for an 04. Ive got a black anodized upper clamp and a bunch of other stuff.
11/14/2014 6:44pm
dedi684 wrote:
Ive got a bunch of parts for an 04. Ive got a black anodized upper clamp and a bunch of other stuff.
Got a cylinder? haha

Oh and can ya give me a list of parts you have? i could be interested in a bunch

Whats you fav design out of those 3 vital bikes i found? i need some ideas!
newmann
11/14/2014 6:47pm
Strip the swingarm to a bare brushed finish, raw steel pipe, works bell bottom 50mm Kayabas and some semi stock graphics.
11/14/2014 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2014 6:51pm
newmann wrote:
Strip the swingarm to a bare brushed finish, raw steel pipe, works bell bottom 50mm Kayabas and some semi stock graphics.
Would a SOS pad strip the swingarm down? and where can i get my hands on some works bell bottom 50mm kayabas

Should i got with OEM silver wheels and hubs and repowdercoat frame to the factory blue colour?

Il have pics up by sunday of how the bike looks right now, its really stock and kinda dirty.

The Shop

Forza
11/14/2014 6:54pm
Dual exhaust
JG463
11/14/2014 7:10pm
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/tblazier/9011656273/in/set-72157630989858…

1994 replica being almost all stock except for a works pipe and some good suspension. Thanks to tblazier for the pics. Go through there, all kinds of great ideas!

I couldn't embed the photo on my phone? But this bike is definitely one of my personal favorite YZ's.
bigboar
11/14/2014 8:43pm
newmann wrote:
Would a SOS pad strip the swingarm down? and where can i get my hands on some works bell bottom 50mm kayabas Should i got with...
Would a SOS pad strip the swingarm down? and where can i get my hands on some works bell bottom 50mm kayabas

Should i got with OEM silver wheels and hubs and repowdercoat frame to the factory blue colour?

Il have pics up by sunday of how the bike looks right now, its really stock and kinda dirty.
I started with cleaning with alumabrite. I then used 180 grit sand paper and sanded in straight lines to give a brushed look and followed that by using a red scotchbrite pad while using wd40 as a lubricant. This is on a 2001 cr250 project i just picked up a week ago.It is rough and needs a ton of stuff but was in my price range at $500 with title. One of my 11 yr old twins wanted to do it with me and its giving us some buddy/daddy time. Good luck with yours! Here are some pics to show the before and after of the aluminum parts.

JG463
11/14/2014 8:50pm
Bigboar:

That looks awesome! I have polished a few frames but have never had the "brushed" look. Can you be a little more descriptive for those of us who do not have any prior experience attempting this look? I have a project I am working on that I will reveal soon!
bigboar
11/14/2014 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2014 9:05pm
JG463 wrote:
Bigboar: That looks awesome! I have polished a few frames but have never had the "brushed" look. Can you be a little more descriptive for those...
Bigboar:

That looks awesome! I have polished a few frames but have never had the "brushed" look. Can you be a little more descriptive for those of us who do not have any prior experience attempting this look? I have a project I am working on that I will reveal soon!
Thanks JG.. To be honest, it's not hard. this was my first try at it. It is just time consuming depending on the condition the part you are working with. If it has bad deep scratches/dings you might want to have someone who does aluminum welding fill up the areas before you start sanding. First thing to do is to make sure the part is stopped to bare aluminum. Buy some aluminum cleaner(I used alums-brite). Wearing gloves and a respirator spray down the entire part and wait for a few minutes then rinse with water. If you have some tuff grit, use a brush and then spray back over part with cleaner, then rinse. After its all dry get a piece of 180 grit sandpaper and start sanding in straight lines on your part. I simply started at the front of the swing arm and pulled straight back to the rear and kept repeating going in one direction until it looked uniform. The 180 scratches are pretty coarse but when you go back over it with a red scotchbrite pad with the part sprayed down with wd40 it tones down the coarseness. I tried it with 320 grit paper first but it looked to polished to me when finished. After you are done with your scotchbrite/wd40 just wash the part with soap and water....sit back and admire your work....lol

Sorry op, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...
RM127
11/14/2014 9:05pm
I have thought about it too. To build the ultimate steel YZ!

-04 Frame
-06+ sss suspension
-09+ yz250f swing arm and rear hub

Equals perfection.

JG463
11/14/2014 9:15pm
bigboar wrote:
Thanks JG.. To be honest, it's not hard. this was my first try at it. It is just time consuming depending on the condition the part...
Thanks JG.. To be honest, it's not hard. this was my first try at it. It is just time consuming depending on the condition the part you are working with. If it has bad deep scratches/dings you might want to have someone who does aluminum welding fill up the areas before you start sanding. First thing to do is to make sure the part is stopped to bare aluminum. Buy some aluminum cleaner(I used alums-brite). Wearing gloves and a respirator spray down the entire part and wait for a few minutes then rinse with water. If you have some tuff grit, use a brush and then spray back over part with cleaner, then rinse. After its all dry get a piece of 180 grit sandpaper and start sanding in straight lines on your part. I simply started at the front of the swing arm and pulled straight back to the rear and kept repeating going in one direction until it looked uniform. The 180 scratches are pretty coarse but when you go back over it with a red scotchbrite pad with the part sprayed down with wd40 it tones down the coarseness. I tried it with 320 grit paper first but it looked to polished to me when finished. After you are done with your scotchbrite/wd40 just wash the part with soap and water....sit back and admire your work....lol

Sorry op, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...
Thanks brother.

No hi-jacking. The OP may want to make sure he does the same quality of work on his 1994 Replica! Tongue
11/14/2014 9:21pm
RM127 wrote:

-04 Frame
-06+ sss suspension

Equals perfection.

If i can get my hands on the SSS stuff il put it on but i never knew what all the hype about the 09 250f swingarm was, please explain :p
dedi684
11/15/2014 6:18pm
dedi684 wrote:
Got a cylinder? haha Oh and can ya give me a list of parts you have? i could be interested in a bunch Whats you fav...
Got a cylinder? haha

Oh and can ya give me a list of parts you have? i could be interested in a bunch

Universal eng top clamp black
Billet bearing throttle tube
New oem rear fender
New White 09 oem front plate
New oem seat
justpinit
11/15/2014 6:31pm
Bears......if you are asking for ideas, and building a vitalmx forum inspired bike, we would like to see bears.
jloucks742
11/15/2014 6:51pm
dedi684 wrote:
Got a cylinder? haha Oh and can ya give me a list of parts you have? i could be interested in a bunch Whats you fav...
Got a cylinder? haha

Make it look how you would like it to look? Thats a good starting point
11/15/2014 6:55pm
Here's a picture of my bike to give you another idea, its an 05 not an 04 so its a little different, but your #1 priority should be finding the SSS suspension from a 2006 or newer, it really makes a world of difference. I say go for the clean factory look, that's what I did with mine and I couldn't be happier.
I look forward to seeing your project!

Here's mine before and after...

And don't worry, those horrid looking orange grips will be gone by spring time.
IceMan446
11/15/2014 7:26pm
That 446 bike looks mint!!!
mxandy963
11/15/2014 7:52pm
Just make the steel frame YZ guys proud yo!! I myself have a '04 YZ(125). And no, I don't have a cylinder for sale. Good luck with that. Waitin' for pics. Google 04' Tedesco pics of his YZ. YOT back then had those bikes lookin really good.

On a side note just send the jug off to millennium technologies. They do great work.
11/15/2014 8:03pm
IceMan446 wrote:
That 446 bike looks mint!!!
No bias there right? hahaha

Can you give me a parts list on it and or just what you did? I like it
RM127
11/15/2014 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2014 8:24pm
RM127 wrote:

-04 Frame
-06+ sss suspension

Equals perfection.

If i can get my hands on the SSS stuff il put it on but i never knew what all the hype about the 09 250f...
If i can get my hands on the SSS stuff il put it on but i never knew what all the hype about the 09 250f swingarm was, please explain :p
Your cheapest bet is to buy a 2006+ yz then sell the alumium frame for a steel frame on ebay.

Or just buy the suspension on Ebay. Last time I check you can easly find the set for less than $1k.

The 09+ swing arm is what a couple of the top guys used (doubach and ryno). Its a direct bolt on. It lighter and handles better.
mxandy963
11/15/2014 8:31pm
RM127 wrote:
Your cheapest bet is to buy a 2006+ yz then sell the alumium frame for a steel frame on ebay. Or just buy the suspension on...
Your cheapest bet is to buy a 2006+ yz then sell the alumium frame for a steel frame on ebay.

Or just buy the suspension on Ebay. Last time I check you can easly find the set for less than $1k.

The 09+ swing arm is what a couple of the top guys used (doubach and ryno). Its a direct bolt on. It lighter and handles better.
A tad bit longer also right? I could be wrong though.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/15/2014 9:00pm
'04 YZ? Chad Reed special, baby.

IceMan446
11/15/2014 9:10pm
No bias there right? hahaha

Can you give me a parts list on it and or just what you did? I like it
No, not at all! hahaha

This is everything I put on it. and not everything are shown in the two photos.

Pro taper adjustable clamps, bars and sprockets.
Works Connection pro perch, frame guards, radiator braces, axel blocks, master cylinder caps front and rear, oil fill cap and hour meter, I mounted that on the number plate mount.
ARC front brake lever.
light speed fork guards and 06 front brake cable with new style fork sliders.
FMF fatty pipe and Shorty silencer.
Force reeds.
Fasstco rear break clevis.
Gold Valves in the forks.
Powder coated the frame.
Acerbis front disk guard.
Boyesen ignition cover.

Pretty much everything I can think of. I did try the ODI CFT bars and liked them but the Pro Tapers just felt better to me.

I will say when the time comes to replace your top end, call Wiesco and get a Suzuki ring and run that. Way tighter ring end gap and you can definitely tell the difference. It was an old gokart trick my dad learned and taught me. I ran half race and half pump gas at 40:1 and it ran perfect but I'm near sea level for the most part. The bike ripped and was one of the best 125s I have ever ridden. A little head and cylinder work would have been my next step but I sold it and will be getting a YZ250 soon. If you have any question let me know man.
Arrowhead428
11/16/2014 2:06am
Not a steel frame...... but here is a pic of our 06 Yz125

Lightning78
11/16/2014 10:00am
RM127 wrote:

-04 Frame
-06+ sss suspension

Equals perfection.

If i can get my hands on the SSS stuff il put it on but i never knew what all the hype about the 09 250f...
RM127 wrote:
Your cheapest bet is to buy a 2006+ yz then sell the alumium frame for a steel frame on ebay. Or just buy the suspension on...

Does it really make the bike handle better? I believe the 09 + swingarm was more rigid and you'll also have to get a 09+ rear wheel as they went to a 25mm rear axle (up from 22mm)

My question about that is, with a more rigid swingarm and the steel frame I wonder if the balance the chassis had would be upset bolting on that 09 swingarm. I can see it not being as big of a deal with the aluminum frame but I have to think there is a reason Yamaha hasnt thrown that swingarm into the production line especially after the updates made in '15. It would be so easy for Yamaha to consolidate their parts having the same swingarm, hub and wheel set on all 4 of their MX big bike lineup but they havent done it. So maybe there is a reason???

I have considered doing it to my 03 but not 100% sure yet......Definitely going to get some SSS suspension probably around March, and dedi684 I havent forgotten about the seat, I just sold my bike and am getting caught up on some stuff
HenryA
11/16/2014 10:02am
Forza wrote:
Dual exhaust
or powder coated rims in a high gloss finish!
Lightning78
11/16/2014 10:02am
Falcon wrote:
'04 YZ? Chad Reed special, baby. [img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/kawasaki5/ChadReedsBike.jpg[/img]
'04 YZ? Chad Reed special, baby.

B E A U T I F U L!!!!!!!!!

This is what I think im going to do with my bike .....now If I just knew someone that had a small sand blaster.

The Yamaha's of this era looked great such a clean look to them

Post a reply to: 2004 YZ125 Project: What do you guys wanna see?

The Latest