2004 CRF450R

dkg
Looking to pickup a 2004 CRF450R from a neighbor. Any advice on the pros and cons of this bike? In good shape. Price is right.
|
Beeby
9/9/2017 9:44am
I owned one for a few years. Nothing major to report. It was tough to start when hot but that I think was typical of all of the bikes of that period (450's anyway) and they had water pump leaks, I think the impeller seal on the water pumps developed leaks but it was an easy fix and never did it again so I assume the ones from the factory were faulty or something.
mxb2
9/9/2017 10:28am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2017 10:49am
dkg wrote:
Looking to pickup a 2004 CRF450R from a neighbor. Any advice on the pros and cons of this bike? In good shape. Price is right.
Depends on price,. Killer deals on leftover, 16/17models. Why risk used on a 14 year old 4 stroke?
gsxr6
9/9/2017 11:23am
Def get an 05 instead. Lighter , faster , lil thinner
dkg
9/9/2017 12:35pm
Thank you for all the input. Appreciate it.

The Shop

scooter5002
9/9/2017 1:09pm
Handling is pretty vague, even with the lower offset triple clamps. Improved in 05, with reduced offset at the fork lugs. If it's a really smoking deal, and you know the history of it, it'd be an okay buy.
9/9/2017 2:40pm
My dad has owned his since new. He has a big bore 490cc kit from La Sleeve. Has rebuilt the motor once but the tranny needs a rebuild. I think with his age and type of riding he does he would be better suited with a new TX300.

byke
9/9/2017 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2017 7:08pm
I've been riding one for about 7 years now. They like to stand up in corners, but dragging the rear makes them fall in. They're physically large bikes. I'm about 6'2" and it fits me well, but the 2nd gen chassis is unquestionably better. I love these old twin chamber showa's, even more than the '06+ KYB's, but I'm in the minority on that one. The motor has been rock solid. I swapped the intake valves for stainless and replaced a waterpump and fully rebuilt it once(preventive), but it's seen no other work. Still on the stock clutch if you can believe it. I keep waiting for it to disappear on a trail ride when I'm working it up a technical climb, but it's hung in there. All the inserts on the frame are still working, though the shrouds have nearly worn through the frame. I've been ready to replace it for a while, but it's still a fun bike and I know it inside and out, so I struggle with the thought of selling it. Anyway, it's a good bike worth buying for the right price, imo. Not a great bike and I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to find a first gen, but I don't regret buying it.
9/9/2017 8:05pm
byke wrote:
I've been riding one for about 7 years now. They like to stand up in corners, but dragging the rear makes them fall in. They're physically...
I've been riding one for about 7 years now. They like to stand up in corners, but dragging the rear makes them fall in. They're physically large bikes. I'm about 6'2" and it fits me well, but the 2nd gen chassis is unquestionably better. I love these old twin chamber showa's, even more than the '06+ KYB's, but I'm in the minority on that one. The motor has been rock solid. I swapped the intake valves for stainless and replaced a waterpump and fully rebuilt it once(preventive), but it's seen no other work. Still on the stock clutch if you can believe it. I keep waiting for it to disappear on a trail ride when I'm working it up a technical climb, but it's hung in there. All the inserts on the frame are still working, though the shrouds have nearly worn through the frame. I've been ready to replace it for a while, but it's still a fun bike and I know it inside and out, so I struggle with the thought of selling it. Anyway, it's a good bike worth buying for the right price, imo. Not a great bike and I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to find a first gen, but I don't regret buying it.
I'm a big guy as well, 6'3 and my 04 CRF450 I consider one of the best/most comfortable bikes I've ever owned next to my KTM 500EXC. I bought my 04 CRF450 when it was 6 months old and already had a white brothers carbon pro pipe. I put MANY hours on it with nothing more than normal maintanence and it never gave me any trouble.

Post a reply to: 2004 CRF450R

The Latest