2003+ KX125 parts question

bama205
I’m starting to look for 2003 and newer KX125’s to race along side my other bikes.

My question is simply: how hard is it to get OEM or quality aftermarket parts?

Should I instead purchase a YZ / KTM (not really what I want)

I’m wanting a KX because I had a several YZ and a KX and always loved the KX.
|
byke
2/11/2021 12:17pm
You gotta get on RMATV or Motosport or whomever has a live inventory system and run through the fiche's and see how gnarly the obsolete/unavailable list is.
bama205
2/11/2021 12:20pm
byke wrote:
You gotta get on RMATV or Motosport or whomever has a live inventory system and run through the fiche's and see how gnarly the obsolete/unavailable list...
You gotta get on RMATV or Motosport or whomever has a live inventory system and run through the fiche's and see how gnarly the obsolete/unavailable list is.
I do ?
byke
2/11/2021 12:28pm
byke wrote:
You gotta get on RMATV or Motosport or whomever has a live inventory system and run through the fiche's and see how gnarly the obsolete/unavailable list...
bama205 wrote:
I do ?
My apologies, I made the mistake of assuming you were interested in actual information instead of wanting to make financial decisions based on some guy in the interwebs telling you there are tons/none of parts. Please continue.

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/11/2021 12:29pm
bama205 wrote:
I’m starting to look for 2003 and newer KX125’s to race along side my other bikes. My question is simply: how hard is it to get...
I’m starting to look for 2003 and newer KX125’s to race along side my other bikes.

My question is simply: how hard is it to get OEM or quality aftermarket parts?

Should I instead purchase a YZ / KTM (not really what I want)

I’m wanting a KX because I had a several YZ and a KX and always loved the KX.
03 is tough cause they are a one off year for the 250 and 125. I’d look for 05-07 for best parts availability
gristle568
2/11/2021 1:40pm
I rebuilt an 04 kx 125 last year and had some trouble getting oem parts. I waited 3 months for a stator and there was a few things that were nla from kawasaki. If you have a good clean bike from the start it will make it easier. I personally would go with a newer yz, they are alot better bikes imo.
2/11/2021 1:45pm
From someone who owned a 04 kx125 when it was brand new that went to an 06 yz125 to a 21 ktm 150sx.
Unless you really want a kx I would pass.
It handles great ergo's are great if your short.
The bike had the lowest seat height of any of the newest bikes I've ever had.
Negative is this bikes just barely had 12 inches of ground clearance.

If you ever landed hard enough to bottom out and you was leaning towards the side. I could feel the outside edges of my boots touch the ground and I don't have huge feet.

The other odd quirk this bike had is that it has this slow rev up. So when I had this bike I was constantly trying to keep the revs up and over revving it in the air. Mxa mentions this in the orginal test of the 04. It also felt like it just hit a brick wall and stop pulling on the top end.

This became very noticeable when I got my 06 yz125. The week before at this track I was riding the kx and this one jump right after this corner. On the kx I would have to slip the clutch and pin it.
Even with the kx screaming hard on the pipe it would just barely get me to the downside of the jump landing.

The next week the very same jump on my 06 yz125 I hit it the same way. I over shot the landing by 5 feet. The yz revved up so much quicker and pulled longer. What felt like took a lot more rider input on the kx the yz felt like I wasn't even trying.

Then there's not as much aftermarket support for the kx even when it was brand new. Seen some posts in recent years stuff like subframes and swingarms etc are hard to come by second hand.

I had a lot of fun on my 04 kx125 but once I got my yz. I never rode the kx again my 06 yz125 surpassed it in every way. Cept for maybe front brake lever feel.
Markopolo400
2/12/2021 6:28pm
If you are interested I have an 03 KX125 I am thinking of selling. Very low hours, appears engine has never been opened.

Post a reply to: 2003+ KX125 parts question

The Latest