2 strokes superior to 4 strokes

dirtnapper
3/24/2016 9:04pm
Jarid332 wrote:
[img]https://consiliumeducation.com/itm/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/08/bear1.jpg[/img]
Best part of this thread so far.....
lumpy790
3/24/2016 9:24pm
Since when does Mr know it all live in tornado alley - Laplata MD?
3/25/2016 5:51am
The 2 vs 4 opinion most likely is split by age. Those who grew up on them even in the big classes get caught up on how unfair the rules are skewed to provide 4 strokes an advantage.(myself included) Those who are younger riders defend 4 strokes as the superior machine as although they have read about the inequality they never experienced the transition as it happened. For the older generation it nearly ruined motocross on the local level.
GangGreen
3/25/2016 7:21am
OW38B wrote:
Have equal displacement in Pro racing and "let the chips fall where they may"................... wait they already did that up in Canada......anyone know the results of...
Have equal displacement in Pro racing and "let the chips fall where they may"................... wait they already did that up in Canada......anyone know the results of that the last two years for the Canuck Nationals?

And what their plan is this year?
Obviously the four-stroke motorcycle required an enormous handicap in order to be competitive with the lighter, faster, less costly, two-stroke motocross machines in the late 1990’s. It seems that this now outdated rule is now causing the less expensive, and more reliable, two stroke machines to become eliminated. Eliminating two-strokes was never the intent of the rule !!! I think it’s time the AMA and MX Sports work to adjust the AMA’s severely outdated “Double Displacement” rule.

Why not make the rule specify: 175cc four strokes in the 125cc Class, and then 300cc four strokes in the 250cc Class?

At least permit 250cc two-strokes to compete with 250cc four strokes at the Pro Racing level for the 2016 Outdoor Nationals, or 2017, as is already permitted in Australia and Canada. The manufacturers can easily sleeve down what they have until manufacturing cycles can be altered. I believe this will make for better, and much safer, racing.

The Shop

Jim in VA
5/14/2016 3:41pm
The 2 vs 4 opinion most likely is split by age. Those who grew up on them even in the big classes get caught up on...
The 2 vs 4 opinion most likely is split by age. Those who grew up on them even in the big classes get caught up on how unfair the rules are skewed to provide 4 strokes an advantage.(myself included) Those who are younger riders defend 4 strokes as the superior machine as although they have read about the inequality they never experienced the transition as it happened. For the older generation it nearly ruined motocross on the local level.
Both have their place, but I personally still prefer the 2 stroke over today's high strung race 4 strokes. When you stress an engine the way they do the new 4t's, you sacrifice long term durability and engine life to do so.. Just look at road racing or race cars. A showroom stock engine of a certain displacement might make half the power of a highly tuned race version of the same engine of the same displacement, but can last almost forever. When you increase valve lift, higher RPMs, etc to get more power, you get shorter life and less reliability from these parts. No problem if you have a huge budget, and plenty of time for the high maintenance.
I think that's where a 2 stroke shines. Very little and easy maintenance for the same power output. For the average guy, just less work to keep it right. No cams, no cam chain, valves, valve clearance adjustments, etc.. Use good oil, mixed at the right ratio, and the same piston can last a long time. An occasional ring replacement, reeds every once in a while, and you're good to go.
For the 2T haters, I'd say spend a little time one one and then decide. Too many people automatically dismiss the "smoker" as outdated technology, when in fact, it's still a pretty damn good platform. At the end of the day, It all comes down to riding skill. Oh yeah, they're easy to start too!
jeffro503
5/14/2016 10:45pm
This tread should have never been put in the trash. It should have been sent to the HOF!

Post a reply to: 2 strokes superior to 4 strokes

The Latest