2 strokes: Flash point and bottom end

Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 6:23am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the flash point of a 2 stroke oil doesn't really affect the bottom end, does it?

In other words, if you ran an oil with a low flash point... let's say, Lucas Semi-synthetic which has a FP of 182 F in a high revving, hard-run 125, it might burn up too fast to lube the top end well, but that wouldn't affect the lubricating properties at the crank, would it?

Awaiting correction/confirmation from my Vital people who Know All Things.
|
SEEMEFIRST
7/14/2019 7:17am
Since it goes through the bottom first, I don't think it would make any difference there.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/14/2019 8:56am
You want the flash point to be low enough for the oil to vaporize and go out with the exhaust. Nobody makes a flash point low enough where it would vaporize before the fuel does, so you're all good. Moto Tribology can confirm/expand on this, I'm sure....
SEEMEFIRST
7/14/2019 10:34am
You sure about that?
I think if your top end is dripping oil onto your crank, you need some rings.

The Shop

mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
7/14/2019 1:14pm
Read SEEMEFIRST's post please
SEEMEFIRST
7/14/2019 1:43pm
It doesn't appear as though you understand 2 stroke engines, and I'm the Vitard?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/14/2019 1:59pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the flash point of a 2 stroke oil doesn't really affect the bottom end, does it? In other words, if...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the flash point of a 2 stroke oil doesn't really affect the bottom end, does it?

In other words, if you ran an oil with a low flash point... let's say, Lucas Semi-synthetic which has a FP of 182 F in a high revving, hard-run 125, it might burn up too fast to lube the top end well, but that wouldn't affect the lubricating properties at the crank, would it?

The crank bearing and rod bearings are lubricated as the fresh fuel is drawn in from the carb through the reeds and lubricates the lower end etc as it is then drawn up through the ports to the combustion chamber and then it ignites and burns. The lower end lubrication gets the fresh fuel/oil first and almost any quality 2 stoke racing oil flash point is a non issue.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
7/14/2019 4:50pm
lostboy819 wrote:
The crank bearing and rod bearings are lubricated as the fresh fuel is drawn in from the carb through the reeds and lubricates the lower end...
The crank bearing and rod bearings are lubricated as the fresh fuel is drawn in from the carb through the reeds and lubricates the lower end etc as it is then drawn up through the ports to the combustion chamber and then it ignites and burns. The lower end lubrication gets the fresh fuel/oil first and almost any quality 2 stoke racing oil flash point is a non issue.
Thank you. some people on here don't seem to get this and think the fuel/oil mixture is drawn directly into the combustion chamber first on a carb'd bike.
7/14/2019 4:56pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the flash point of a 2 stroke oil doesn't really affect the bottom end, does it? In other words, if...

lostboy819 wrote:
The crank bearing and rod bearings are lubricated as the fresh fuel is drawn in from the carb through the reeds and lubricates the lower end...
Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks!
7/15/2019 11:03am
The oil is heavier than the fuel to start with. The fuel and air are atomized in much smaller particles (vapors!). As the relatively cool mixtures enters the relatively hot lower end, the oil falls out of suspension and sticks to the metal parts, lubricating them. The fuel air mixture continues up the ports and ends up in the combustion chamber. Of course, some oil goes as well, and that is the spooge that ends up in the exhaust pipe and power valves.

7/15/2019 1:26pm
It's been my experience the oils with higher flash points provide far better extreme use protection.

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/15/2019 2:15pm
Just use Amsoil and be done IMO (Note: other oils can work as well Cool )

7/15/2019 4:09pm
As far as I can see, none of those charts show oil returning from the top end to the bottom. It always goes from the bottom end first, to the top end last, and then burned and out the pipe. Oil _migration_ is simply referring to the movement of oil from the bottom to the stop and, as I'd expect, the higher the RPM, the faster the oil mixture moves from the bottom to the top. Flash point is not even a factor in this description sheet.

The Lord isn't helping me so it's up to you. Please explain your thinking here.
SEEMEFIRST
7/15/2019 6:05pm
The Lord isn't helping me so it's up to you. Please explain your thinking here.

This thinking is far too deep for more mortals, even your Lord cannot fathom it's awesomeness.

Explanation is futile, and time is of the essence, for we have migrations to do.
FWYT
7/15/2019 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 6:45pm
I asked a similar question a while back in the tech section.
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Two-stroke-oil-ques…
This has always fascinated me as well. I finally wrote to Maxima and got the same sheet as CR250 posted here. The way I am understanding it is that the charge goes into the bottom end, transfers to the combustion chamber, ignites, but some of the oil stays behind and is wipped down the cylinder walls, "migrates", back to the bottom and lubing the bearings at that point. And the cycle continues. At least that is what I understood reading the data sheet. And I am sure as shit not going to argue with Maxima.

Was that how you understood it CR250?
Broseph
7/15/2019 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 7:39pm
FWYT wrote:
I asked a similar question a while back in the tech section. https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Two-stroke-oil-question-how-does-it-separate,1352037 This has always fascinated me as well. I finally wrote to Maxima and...
I asked a similar question a while back in the tech section.
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Two-stroke-oil-ques…
This has always fascinated me as well. I finally wrote to Maxima and got the same sheet as CR250 posted here. The way I am understanding it is that the charge goes into the bottom end, transfers to the combustion chamber, ignites, but some of the oil stays behind and is wipped down the cylinder walls, "migrates", back to the bottom and lubing the bearings at that point. And the cycle continues. At least that is what I understood reading the data sheet. And I am sure as shit not going to argue with Maxima.

Was that how you understood it CR250?
I believe the assertion that oil migrates down the cylinder walls and lubes the crank is what’s baffling everyone. That component of the migration is not present in the Maxima sheet and seems to defy all logic. How exactly does the oil flow backwards? How do the rings seal 99.9% of all the combustion gasses yet still find a way to pass a meaningful amount of oil back to the bottom end?

Does this mean a two ring piston will cause my crank to receive less oil than a one ring piston?
Yz229
7/15/2019 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 9:13pm
By no means an expert, but my understanding is this,

It's been said in this thread, obviously the oil enters the bottom end first. Heat, fast moving crank, and whipping motion and atomized fuel helps separate the oil/gas mix, and some oil remains in the bottom end long enough to lubricate the moving parts (crank case, bottom of piston, etc).

Eventually, if jetted correctly and good mix, it will burn off in the crank, or by the obvious moving through transfers to top end, but always have a small puddle at the bottom of the crank from fresh flowing premix. In fact, if I remember right you can actually tell how your bike is jetted by high much residual oil is left at bottom of crank. When you take apart a two stroke you should see a puddle of 2 stroke oil at the bottom. You can also check the expansion chamber header, but actually haven't heard of anyone doing that in awhile.

I know at high load and RPM's, you can actually run low on this residual oil by running a bit lean (sort of explained in Maxima document posted above). I always jet rich enough on top end (AS, Pilot, PJ, needle, taper and main for total fuel) so it's 1-2 sizes below blubbering at WOT. This way there is less chance of losing this oil supply.
FWYT
7/15/2019 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 10:43pm
Broseph wrote:
I believe the assertion that oil migrates down the cylinder walls and lubes the crank is what’s baffling everyone. That component of the migration is not...
I believe the assertion that oil migrates down the cylinder walls and lubes the crank is what’s baffling everyone. That component of the migration is not present in the Maxima sheet and seems to defy all logic. How exactly does the oil flow backwards? How do the rings seal 99.9% of all the combustion gasses yet still find a way to pass a meaningful amount of oil back to the bottom end?

Does this mean a two ring piston will cause my crank to receive less oil than a one ring piston?
Broseph,
Good point; re-reading the data sheet and I can't see where it says that, either. So I looked at the email exchange I had with Maxima and that was where I drew that conclusion from:

~~~~~
"I have attached our oil migration chart. Essentially the oil has a much higher flash point than that of the fuel so after combustion some of the oil is left behind to complete the migration of the bottom end all the way to the exhaust port.

Let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for choosing Maxima!

Sincerely,

(Maxima Oil tech person)
Maxima Racing Oils I ProFilter
~~~~~~~

I pulled the name of the Maxima person so that he does not suffer the wrath of a message board! hahahaha

But yes, your point of how baffling it is, and how it defies logic is valid. I don't get it, either! Maybe it takes a bit for any meaningful amount of oil to accumulate but once it does, it's sort of a matter of keeping the drip-feed fed? But for now I'm going to accept it. Like Mongo said in "Blazing Saddles": "Mongo only pawn, in game of life."
FWYT
7/15/2019 10:16pm
Falcon wrote:
You want the flash point to be low enough for the oil to vaporize and go out with the exhaust. Nobody makes a flash point low...
You want the flash point to be low enough for the oil to vaporize and go out with the exhaust. Nobody makes a flash point low enough where it would vaporize before the fuel does, so you're all good. Moto Tribology can confirm/expand on this, I'm sure....
You brought up Moto Tribology in my other oil thread, as well, but he never chimed in. Can you send him a message? This is a pretty fascinating discussion here, I think, and I'd like to hear from the experts.
7/16/2019 6:11am
FWYT wrote:
You brought up Moto Tribology in my other oil thread, as well, but he never chimed in. Can you send him a message? This is a...
You brought up Moto Tribology in my other oil thread, as well, but he never chimed in. Can you send him a message? This is a pretty fascinating discussion here, I think, and I'd like to hear from the experts.
Agree!!!

It's an interesting discussion and there's no reason to get any panties in a wad. Wadded panties aren't going to change the facts, whatever they are, which is what we're discussing.

I'd like to know how the oil migration thing is _determined_. Is this a hypothesis or can it be actually documented? I used to work as a statistician for a team of research biologists and it was my job to ask questions like "How'd you get this data?" Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know how Maxima tracks oil in an engine.
tzmike
7/16/2019 9:55am
Next up is Castor Bean oil (927, Castor A747 and Klotz.. Just for comparison to the synthetic oils. Yamaha stated not to use anything other than Castrol A747 in my 2 TZ250 GP bikes. Mitch ran 927 in 2 strokes. Whether these factor in to Flash points is another question. The TZs were always singing at 14k. The moto side, not so much. I will take the castor smell anyday. Might even get the candles for sale that are bean oil scented. Pardon the diversion from the Flash Point by the OP
Broseph
7/16/2019 12:33pm
Agree!!! It's an interesting discussion and there's no reason to get any panties in a wad. Wadded panties aren't going to change the facts, whatever they...
Agree!!!

It's an interesting discussion and there's no reason to get any panties in a wad. Wadded panties aren't going to change the facts, whatever they are, which is what we're discussing.

I'd like to know how the oil migration thing is _determined_. Is this a hypothesis or can it be actually documented? I used to work as a statistician for a team of research biologists and it was my job to ask questions like "How'd you get this data?" Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know how Maxima tracks oil in an engine.
From this article: http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

“The objective of the premix ratio is to maintain a certain level of “oil-presence” in the engine interior during it’s average “operating-use” cycle. But how does one measure or assess the “oil-presence” … The most effective way has been with a radioactive additive. We explain below.

Trying to keep it simple…here is how it works. A test lab sets up an engine on a dyno stand, and begins feeding the engine a premix of an oil that has a specific level of mixed-in radioactive additive. As the engine is run, a Geiger counter at the exhaust exit measures the amount of radioactive material being eliminated. In this way, it is possible to factor the amount of radioactive material being put into the engine, verses the amount being sent out the exhaust. The net result is the amount of “oil-presence” inside the engine.”
77Moto
7/16/2019 12:48pm
tzmike wrote:
Next up is Castor Bean oil (927, Castor A747 and Klotz.. Just for comparison to the synthetic oils. Yamaha stated not to use anything other than...
Next up is Castor Bean oil (927, Castor A747 and Klotz.. Just for comparison to the synthetic oils. Yamaha stated not to use anything other than Castrol A747 in my 2 TZ250 GP bikes. Mitch ran 927 in 2 strokes. Whether these factor in to Flash points is another question. The TZs were always singing at 14k. The moto side, not so much. I will take the castor smell anyday. Might even get the candles for sale that are bean oil scented. Pardon the diversion from the Flash Point by the OP
Castor is actually attracted to hot metal and becomes "Thicker" when it does, Hence why castor is so good in high temp high load applications and prevents seizures better than even the best synthetics. The downside of this trait is that it doesn't burn off as clean.

For people to best understand oil migration times, take that 60:1 or 100:1 recommended ratio and go run that down the highway WFO for 3 or 4 miles.

mx617
7/16/2019 1:06pm
Broseph wrote:
I believe the assertion that oil migrates down the cylinder walls and lubes the crank is what’s baffling everyone. That component of the migration is not...

My guess/hypothesis would be that when the engine is firing it's under extremely high pressure which forces the rings against the cylinder wall to create the seal, wiping any residual oil down towards the crank. When it's on the way back up they won't be forming a tight seal, allowing some unburned oil past the rings, to be wiped away on the next combustion stroke.

FWYT
7/16/2019 1:33pm
Broseph wrote:
From this article: http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm “The objective of the premix ratio is to maintain a certain level of “oil-presence” in the engine interior during it’s average “operating-use”...
From this article: http://www.klemmvintage.com/oils.htm

“The objective of the premix ratio is to maintain a certain level of “oil-presence” in the engine interior during it’s average “operating-use” cycle. But how does one measure or assess the “oil-presence” … The most effective way has been with a radioactive additive. We explain below.

Trying to keep it simple…here is how it works. A test lab sets up an engine on a dyno stand, and begins feeding the engine a premix of an oil that has a specific level of mixed-in radioactive additive. As the engine is run, a Geiger counter at the exhaust exit measures the amount of radioactive material being eliminated. In this way, it is possible to factor the amount of radioactive material being put into the engine, verses the amount being sent out the exhaust. The net result is the amount of “oil-presence” inside the engine.”
Good find, Broseph!!!!
piscokid
7/16/2019 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2019 4:21pm
tzmike wrote:
Next up is Castor Bean oil (927, Castor A747 and Klotz.. Just for comparison to the synthetic oils. Yamaha stated not to use anything other than...
77Moto wrote:
Castor is actually attracted to hot metal and becomes "Thicker" when it does, Hence why castor is so good in high temp high load applications and...
Castor is actually attracted to hot metal and becomes "Thicker" when it does, Hence why castor is so good in high temp high load applications and prevents seizures better than even the best synthetics. The downside of this trait is that it doesn't burn off as clean.

For people to best understand oil migration times, take that 60:1 or 100:1 recommended ratio and go run that down the highway WFO for 3 or 4 miles.

Castor makes the best oil and modern additives have all but eliminated the previous problems associated with castor oil, making it cleaner burning with little to no separation in fuel.
BMSOBx2
7/16/2019 9:11pm
tzmike wrote:
77Moto wrote:
Castor is actually attracted to hot metal and becomes "Thicker" when it does, Hence why castor is so good in high temp high load applications and...

piscokid wrote:
Castor makes the best oil and modern additives have all but eliminated the previous problems associated with castor oil, making it cleaner burning with little to...
Castor makes the best oil and modern additives have all but eliminated the previous problems associated with castor oil, making it cleaner burning with little to no separation in fuel.
Blendzall, castor bean oil was the stuff.
7/17/2019 6:23am
Falcon wrote:
You want the flash point to be low enough for the oil to vaporize and go out with the exhaust. Nobody makes a flash point low...
FWYT wrote:
You brought up Moto Tribology in my other oil thread, as well, but he never chimed in. Can you send him a message? This is a...
I did happen to see this thread randomly, but anything I would've added had pretty much been said already by others so I didn't feel the need to add in, I'll point some things out here that may help or raise more questions and answer what I can even though I've been out of the game of formulating for a bit now with a career change this past year.

Flashpoint in 2-stroke oils is a.....tricky concept. Most 2-stroke oils are diluted with a solvent and the flashpoint will be directly linked to the particular solvent and how much the dilution is. The solvent does little if any real lubricating and acts as more of a delivery/mixing aid for the actual lubricating portion of the oil.

A few oils are not diluted with solvents and are purely lubricating oil.

Either way, the actual lubricating portion of the oil is what is lubing the bottom and top ends. Because that oil is in solution with the gasoline, the fuel migrating due to turbulence will carry oil with it. The fuel that is evaporating rapidly due to heat, leaves the oil behind for the most part.

The oil left behind and the oil migrating with the fuel will "burn" over time. What makes it into the combustion chamber will burn slower than gasoline, but does burn, and the quality of the oil determines how well ti burns and whether it leaves by-products behind.

The oil in the bottom end will "burn" through evaporation and the rate would be linked to its flash-point (which is not the reported flash point on any SDS if the original product contains solvent). Getting the true flash point of that portion is likely only going to come from the manufacturer unless you want to buy lab equipment and run the tests yourself. I did this for my own company's products and a lot of competitors, and the numbers can vary wildly.

Now, with all that being said, flash point is an absolutely horrible way to judge performance of 2-stroke oils. Unfortunately, it is the most readily available and pretty much the only information we can get from manufacturers because it is mandated by the DOT for transportation/shipping purposes. SO a lot of people attempt to make sense of that number and assign importance to it on its own.

I've said this in many locations and in response to a lot of inquiries over the years and I'll say it again. Picking a single property and assigning a value to an oil based solely on that is a mistake. Aside from how much of the oil will evaporate out of a closed container at a prescribed temperature, the flash point alone tells you nothing helpful in determining how it will perform. There are oils with relatively high flash points that will work terribly. There are some oils with relatively low flash points that will work wonders and vice versa on both accounts.

I absolutely wish it were a super simple thing and we could point to one thing and say "Yes, that means it is good!", but these products are complex and it isn't that simple.

The original question was addressed well by others' comments made earlier and the diagrams regarding oil migration. If anything I've said is wrong or you've got questions, I'll do my best to address it and admit I'm a dummy if that's the case.

Post a reply to: 2 strokes: Flash point and bottom end

The Latest