2 Stroke RM250 vs YZ250 for VET MX

JWACK
2/15/2018 8:01am
Sell the 99 and spend the extra 1500 on the cleanest low hour one you can find, Rm or Yz. Parts will be easier to find and you will be on the last and latest generation either way. Both great bikes.
H4L
2/15/2018 8:03am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 8:55am
40 wrote:
The PC porting and head mod is a very good value for the money. Night and day better than the stock engine, especially if you opt...
The PC porting and head mod is a very good value for the money. Night and day better than the stock engine, especially if you opt for the C12 race fuel head setup.
They do a lot of work to the head. In addition to changing the squish width, squish angle, and base, they also make substantial changes to the dome. You will be required to run a PC supplied spark plug spacer afterward.
The stock Honda pipe is actually pretty good. Of all the aftermarket pipes, only the DEP, HGS and Doma are reportedly even worth your money.
The chassis is good. Combines sharper turning characteristics than a YZ with good high speed stability. Maybe not as razor sharp as an RM, but 5th gear whooped out straightaways are less white knuckle.
Durability and reliability are excellent, especially on 05-07 which have the newer solid cranks which will not de- laminate like the older "tin can" version.
The Showa's are perfectly acceptable. Are they as good as YZ Kayaba SSS ?? No, but still in the ballgame and easily revalved and resprung with good results from FC or your choice of suspension tuner.
Downside- starting to see some parts unavailability from Honda for the 02-04 models. 05-07 still have excellent availability and quite a few parts will interchange with newer CRF..
Agree with your comments. The 02-04 CR models don't need to run a spacer on the spark plug since they run a flat top piston. 05-07 models have a domed piston so it does require a spacer (washer) to be used on the plug to keep it from hitting the piston. I had forgotten about PC reworking the dome of the head.
On the suspension I'm running an 07 CR2 Showa FC B-kit that feels just as good as the KYB SSS suspension owned. Also feel the CR turns as good as the 06 RM250 owned that had an RG3 suspension diamond kit that is suppose to be equivalent to the B-kit. So comparing apples to apples.
Gary105
2/15/2018 8:14am
52yrs old.... Enough said RM for me.

1stSSPZ
2/15/2018 1:55pm
61 today!...RM, indeed!

The Shop

2/15/2018 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 2:08pm
H4L wrote:
Agree with your comments. The 02-04 CR models don't need to run a spacer on the spark plug since they run a flat top piston. 05-07...
Agree with your comments. The 02-04 CR models don't need to run a spacer on the spark plug since they run a flat top piston. 05-07 models have a domed piston so it does require a spacer (washer) to be used on the plug to keep it from hitting the piston. I had forgotten about PC reworking the dome of the head.
On the suspension I'm running an 07 CR2 Showa FC B-kit that feels just as good as the KYB SSS suspension owned. Also feel the CR turns as good as the 06 RM250 owned that had an RG3 suspension diamond kit that is suppose to be equivalent to the B-kit. So comparing apples to apples.
If your CR250 setup is a PC engine with Doma, VF, JD ignition and Showa B-kit, then you have a really nice machine.
It's hard to describe exactly how much better the crappy stock engine can easily become with a few hundred bucks intelligently invested into it. After that, the rest of the machine is comfortable, reliable, enjoyable to ride, and under rated.

I keep repeating the word "reliable" in a CR250 discussion because we have seen and repaired so many YZ250 gearboxes that transmission reliability and durability are just not a part of the equation on the YZ. Straight line stability? Yes. Good stock suspension? Yes- in spades. That gearbox?- well.........

Post a reply to: 2 Stroke RM250 vs YZ250 for VET MX

The Latest