2 Stroke Comeback

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2018 1:16 PM

Do you guys think 2 strokes are making a comeback? do you see more of them at the track than you used to? it sure feels that way by me in ohio !

|

2/26/2018 1:21 PM

Interesting topic, glad someone touched on this. It's rarely discussed here.

|

2/26/2018 1:22 PM

They made a comeback 6 years ago, now they seem to be going away around here... until the next comeback.

|

2/26/2018 1:28 PM

I feel they have. I made the switch 4 or 5 years ago and my riding has greatly improved since then. I was getting burnt out on my 450. Bought a 125 and the fun was instantly brought back. Started craving more power and bought a 250 and never looked back.

|

2/26/2018 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 1:30 PM

I just bought one and know several people looking for the right deal.

That said, I'm not getting rid of my 350.

|

2/26/2018 1:48 PM

No they're dead !!! Lol just kidding. I see it at a dealer level too. Most of my customers are buying two strokes. Lot of husky TC TX and ktm XC. XCW and TE's aren't selling as much as the other smoker models but there are still some dedicated guys that want the headlight or the XCW pds shock. Usually also same guys buying one to avoid air forks. Get people asking daily when we will see any tpi's as well. At the MX level I really do see a resurgence or at least guys with brand new smokers next to their thumpers. Even for budget A class pros that want a cheap to fix and powerful bike it's hard to fault a 17 + KTM or Husky 250. They're totally competitive race bikes against 250f's at least at local level and if the 250f doesn't have built motor. I have a tc and I have 8 friends that have bought tc or sx or xc since the beginning of the year nevermind the 5 or so smokers I've sold in 2018 so far. It's great to see and hope it continues.
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

2/26/2018 1:51 PM

I had a permasmile from all the 2Ts at the last SoCal MX

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

2/26/2018 1:53 PM

braaap707 wrote:

No they're dead !!! Lol just kidding. I see it at a dealer level too. Most of my customers are buying two strokes. Lot of husky TC TX and ktm XC. XCW and TE's aren't selling as much as the other smoker models but there are still some dedicated guys that want the headlight or the XCW pds shock. Usually also same guys buying one to avoid air forks. Get people asking daily when we will see any tpi's as well. At the MX level I really do see a resurgence or at least guys with brand new smokers next to their thumpers. Even for budget A class pros that want a cheap to fix and powerful bike it's hard to fault a 17 + KTM or Husky 250. They're totally competitive race bikes against 250f's at least at local level and if the 250f doesn't have built motor. I have a tc and I have 8 friends that have bought tc or sx or xc since the beginning of the year nevermind the 5 or so smokers I've sold in 2018 so far. It's great to see and hope it continues.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Local kid i know is prob 20 years old, would be considered a local pro has a tc250 and blows the doors off the 4 strokes. i love watching him

|

2/26/2018 2:19 PM

NOPE

Photo

|

2/26/2018 4:04 PM

I have been 4 stroke only since 2004. We currently have a 2018 CRF450, 2016 FE SXF450 and 2015 KXF450.

Just got a 2006 RM250 to do ground up build simply because I want a 2 stroke play bike just to have fun on. The sound. The smell. Couple guys I ride with are doing the same. Not a comeback just people realizing the reason we ride is to have fun not just to go fast/race.

I think everyone should have a 4 stroke for their main bike and a 2 stroke just for fun.

|

2/26/2018 4:42 PM

Frank wrote:

I have been 4 stroke only since 2004. We currently have a 2018 CRF450, 2016 FE SXF450 and 2015 KXF450.

Just got a 2006 RM250 to do ground up build simply because I want a 2 stroke play bike just to have fun on. The sound. The smell. Couple guys I ride with are doing the same. Not a comeback just people realizing the reason we ride is to have fun not just to go fast/race.

I think everyone should have a 4 stroke for their main bike and a 2 stroke just for fun.

Ummm, I think you have that backwards.... w00t
|

A big thanks goes out to Donnie at Morgantown Powersports and RJ at Beaver Creek Cycles

2/26/2018 5:33 PM

Needed a new bike for woods racing and for some fun to switch things up at the mx track, brought home a new yz250x at Christmas... It's been two months since I unboxed it, and at least another month before I can fire it up... Torture, the last 2t I rode was a 1987 CR125 back in 2003 or so.

Still have the 250f for mx racing, all I did for it for this season was general pre-season upkeep (suspension rebuild, go through all the wear points etc)

|

2/26/2018 5:56 PM

2 stroke= massive fun and permagrins

4 stroke= serious racer for lower lap times and less energy used, also good for when you mess up a corner without messing up the big booter right after it.

I find myself riding 2 strokes alot more. Mostly because even though I'm not young anymore, I still lose my mind when the gate drops and do things that I probably should not be hucking in a chase for a small check or a piece of plastic.

I can't wait for my mind to catch up with my body.

|

2/26/2018 6:09 PM

2 strokes are still every bit as common as 4 strokes in a lot of off-road/enduro disciplines

|