#2: MXGP of The Netherlands - March 7 & 8

teamddr
3/9/2020 4:20pm
DeStouwer wrote:
Tough home-GP for Gebben Van Venrooy: Both Vlaanderen and Lupino DNF-DNF and Covington DNS-DNS. The same for F&H Kawasaki: Haarup and Boisramé DNF'ed one race and...
Tough home-GP for Gebben Van Venrooy: Both Vlaanderen and Lupino DNF-DNF and Covington DNS-DNS.
The same for F&H Kawasaki: Haarup and Boisramé DNF'ed one race and Vd Moosdijk broke his ankle. Feel bad for them.

I lost my voice rooting for Geerts. Man, what a race for him. Maybe I'm a little bit demanding, but I've got the feeling if he didn't crash in the second lap at Matterley Basin or in the start at Valkenswaard, he could've gone 1-1-1-1....

Can't wait for Argentina!
Jeez Geerts has been impressive this year
Kids taking the fight to the KTM riders
When’s the last time a rider on a Yamaha did that
Cortami79
3/10/2020 2:07am
It was a great weekend, especially that second mxgp moto. Herlings and Gajser going for it, Simpson 4th after that hard crash in moto 1, Coldenhoff with his comeback and LVB having a 20 minute battle with Prado!

They really have to fix some points around the track for the spectators though. It was sad with that entire section shut off for public.
RG1
3/10/2020 2:37am
Cortami79 wrote:
It was a great weekend, especially that second mxgp moto. Herlings and Gajser going for it, Simpson 4th after that hard crash in moto 1, Coldenhoff...
It was a great weekend, especially that second mxgp moto. Herlings and Gajser going for it, Simpson 4th after that hard crash in moto 1, Coldenhoff with his comeback and LVB having a 20 minute battle with Prado!

They really have to fix some points around the track for the spectators though. It was sad with that entire section shut off for public.
The new section was terrible. The way the track used to go there you could get really close to the action. It was like you were stood on top of the riders. It was one of the best places to watch on any circuit. This weekend you couldn’t get within 40ft of it or even see over the advertising boards for most of it. There was a spectator tunnel under that new jump as if they were intending to allow you to stand closer, so maybe it was just because of the weather that they didn’t, it was very wet there. But I’m still not sure why they didn’t allow you to stand on the outside of the track on that massive open area
RG1
3/10/2020 2:40am
DeStouwer wrote:
Tough home-GP for Gebben Van Venrooy: Both Vlaanderen and Lupino DNF-DNF and Covington DNS-DNS. The same for F&H Kawasaki: Haarup and Boisramé DNF'ed one race and...
Tough home-GP for Gebben Van Venrooy: Both Vlaanderen and Lupino DNF-DNF and Covington DNS-DNS.
The same for F&H Kawasaki: Haarup and Boisramé DNF'ed one race and Vd Moosdijk broke his ankle. Feel bad for them.

I lost my voice rooting for Geerts. Man, what a race for him. Maybe I'm a little bit demanding, but I've got the feeling if he didn't crash in the second lap at Matterley Basin or in the start at Valkenswaard, he could've gone 1-1-1-1....

teamddr wrote:
Think it was a little Italian guy who’s now a 9 time world champ

The Shop

roninho
3/10/2020 2:45am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 2:46am
A local guy i was standing next to said that the changes to the track were a result of the issues with the permit. Apparently the track had to be back to it's original state/total area used or something like that.

I have no idea if that is true or not. But if it is true that might actually make some sense why they didnt allow fans over there.
Bearuno
3/10/2020 2:58am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 3:02am
"How they expect it to click off when the first left right is virtually flat with no braking is beyond me. Maybe a contributor to the Geerts crash and the pile up in Moto 2 of MXGP."

That's a good observation, PhilG .

I was giving a bit of thought to that myself. They smooth out the surface - well, they bloody well Have to - I can't imagine the carnage if they didn't do prep for the start, and any early turns at Valkenswaard, or other 'soft' tracks. So initially ,no braking bumps, and, with the speed of that first LH 'kink', I doubt any of the blokes out front or near the front, touch the brakes.

So, the front end low, with the super steep head angle and reduced trail, in what still will be fairly soft ground, at speed, makes for an 'iffy' front end. Tuck tuck tuck.

There's a bit of the Luddite in me, so, at times, I wish they'd stop the use of manual start devices. The various Electronics - well, that would be impossible to stop, unless they went to control ECUs. And, I don't believe in that. Yet.......

Anyone here remember the antics at ISDT's (yes, long ago, before it was renamed the ISDE) with the use of tie downs, belts, rope etc to hold down the front ends during the "Acceleration Tests"? That, my friends, is where the seed for the Start Device was planted, I reckon. Wink
keinz
3/10/2020 11:18am
DeStouwer wrote:

teamddr wrote:
RG1 wrote:
Febvre 2015
3/10/2020 11:32am
teamddr wrote:
RG1 wrote:
keinz wrote:
Febvre 2015
I believe they’re taking about MX2
philG
3/10/2020 11:58am
Bearuno wrote:
"How they expect it to click off when the first left right is virtually flat with no braking is beyond me. Maybe a contributor to the...
"How they expect it to click off when the first left right is virtually flat with no braking is beyond me. Maybe a contributor to the Geerts crash and the pile up in Moto 2 of MXGP."

That's a good observation, PhilG .

I was giving a bit of thought to that myself. They smooth out the surface - well, they bloody well Have to - I can't imagine the carnage if they didn't do prep for the start, and any early turns at Valkenswaard, or other 'soft' tracks. So initially ,no braking bumps, and, with the speed of that first LH 'kink', I doubt any of the blokes out front or near the front, touch the brakes.

So, the front end low, with the super steep head angle and reduced trail, in what still will be fairly soft ground, at speed, makes for an 'iffy' front end. Tuck tuck tuck.

There's a bit of the Luddite in me, so, at times, I wish they'd stop the use of manual start devices. The various Electronics - well, that would be impossible to stop, unless they went to control ECUs. And, I don't believe in that. Yet.......

Anyone here remember the antics at ISDT's (yes, long ago, before it was renamed the ISDE) with the use of tie downs, belts, rope etc to hold down the front ends during the "Acceleration Tests"? That, my friends, is where the seed for the Start Device was planted, I reckon. Wink
So historically , the start has always been like this at Valkenswaard , apart from a couple of changes that didn't work ( the lake FFS ) BUT the gate is further forward, and angled , which it never used to be, but they always levelled off all the way to the first jump, which was the right thing to do.

Now this weekend, it was snotty of top and as the guys are full on into the turn, with the front clamped down , with no suspension at all , all the weight dropping instantly as soon as they get off the gas, its always going to happen. And the guys know what you need to do to get it off, some guys sky the first jump just to be sure I reckon.

It cant be nice , and it certainly isn't safe, we have a track where we go through 3 fast lefts , and it the wet , it wont click off because you hardly brake, on tarmac, what that must be like on sand is anyones guess.

And because a sand set up is so hard , you could see Hofer didn't have the weight to generate the load to compress the forks more than they were already .
Robgvx
3/10/2020 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 2:10am
roninho wrote:
A local guy i was standing next to said that the changes to the track were a result of the issues with the permit. Apparently the...
A local guy i was standing next to said that the changes to the track were a result of the issues with the permit. Apparently the track had to be back to it's original state/total area used or something like that.

I have no idea if that is true or not. But if it is true that might actually make some sense why they didnt allow fans over there.
The track used to be quite a bit longer back in the ‘80s.
Cortami79
3/10/2020 1:10pm
I think the start is dangerous. I’d rather see the track going back to the shape of 2007-2012. Other way around, 180 degree start and pitlane back to the front. Just the step up where Tyla Rattray crashed in 2008 was scary, if anyone can rememberWoohoo
3/10/2020 1:56pm
Cortami79 wrote:
I think the start is dangerous. I’d rather see the track going back to the shape of 2007-2012. Other way around, 180 degree start and pitlane...
I think the start is dangerous. I’d rather see the track going back to the shape of 2007-2012. Other way around, 180 degree start and pitlane back to the front. Just the step up where Tyla Rattray crashed in 2008 was scary, if anyone can rememberWoohoo
I actually thought about the start today, if they should consider doing somekind of changes to it. It seems like pretty much every start there is a huge pileup going through that first chicane.
3/10/2020 11:45pm
RG1 wrote:
keinz wrote:
Febvre 2015
I believe they’re taking about MX2
Paturel did (a little)
3/11/2020 5:53pm
So when will they announce Hearlings as 2020 MXGP champ, it is looking like all future events will be cancelled or " postponed".
Will they do it tomorrow or wait for the end of the season when we have all become zombies?

This year's champs will all have an asterisk next to their names.
Vince_192
3/11/2020 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 6:21pm
Cortami79 wrote:
I think the start is dangerous. I’d rather see the track going back to the shape of 2007-2012. Other way around, 180 degree start and pitlane...
I actually thought about the start today, if they should consider doing somekind of changes to it. It seems like pretty much every start there is...
I actually thought about the start today, if they should consider doing somekind of changes to it. It seems like pretty much every start there is a huge pileup going through that first chicane.
Well, a rumor is going around that Valkenswaard won't host the Dutch GP next year, so this whole start thing shouldn't be a problem anymore!

Post a reply to: #2: MXGP of The Netherlands - March 7 & 8

The Latest