1st time to A1!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/16/2017 6:04 AM

I just booked 2 tickets for my dad and I to go to A1 for his Christmas gift. We live in NE Ohio and never been to the opener before so I'm super excited. Our flight doesn't leave until late Sunday night so we will have all day Sunday with no plans at all so far. What should we do? Would like to keep it moto related but would consider other things as well. Was thinking maybe just drive over to a close iconic track, such as Milestone or Glen Helen to watch practice (wish I could bring my bike). Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/16/2017 6:52 AM

I would choose GH over Milestone if there is practice going on as it is so much more to see. Milestone is a fun place but its built on a flat piece of land.

I would also try and go see what is pictured above even though there won’t be any riding going on. I am new here and have spent all my free time riding the different local track and haven’t taken the time out to go see the factory tracks. Could be something I do this weekend as my pit crew (wife and son) will be out of town. On your way out there from Anaheim you’ll pass Pro Circuit just off the North side of the 91 in Corona, sorry forget the exit. Pretty sure more locals will chime in with ideas soon enough as I am fairly new to the area and still seeing stuff myself. See you at A1

|

11/16/2017 10:31 AM

brocster wrote:

I would choose GH over Milestone if there is practice going on as it is so much more to see. Milestone is a fun place but its built on a flat piece of land.

I would also try and go see what is pictured above even though there won’t be any riding going on. I am new here and have spent all my free time riding the different local track and haven’t taken the time out to go see the factory tracks. Could be something I do this weekend as my pit crew (wife and son) will be out of town. On your way out there from Anaheim you’ll pass Pro Circuit just off the North side of the 91 in Corona, sorry forget the exit. Pretty sure more locals will chime in with ideas soon enough as I am fairly new to the area and still seeing stuff myself. See you at A1

Yea I was leaning towards GH because it'd be cool to see its legendary hills everyone is always talking about and TV does no justice too as they say. Going to PC would be cool too. Seems like ill have no problem filling our spare day with moto visits. Thanks for the tips and look for us in section P238!!!

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/16/2017 10:58 AM

Photo

Photo

|

11/16/2017 12:38 PM

I went to A1 2 years ago for a weekend and although I didn't do anything moto related, I hit as many scenic spots as I could (from newport beach up PCH to malibu, beverly hills, the star walk, hiked the hills where the hollywood sign is) but this year I'm spending 6 days. Renting a mx bike and riding GH on thursday before A1. Not sure what else I'll be doing but will figure that out!

|

11/16/2017 12:55 PM

billyp330 wrote:

I just booked 2 tickets for my dad and I to go to A1 for his Christmas gift. We live in NE Ohio and never been to the opener before so I'm super excited. Our flight doesn't leave until late Sunday night so we will have all day Sunday with no plans at all so far. What should we do? Would like to keep it moto related but would consider other things as well. Was thinking maybe just drive over to a close iconic track, such as Milestone or Glen Helen to watch practice (wish I could bring my bike). Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Glen Helen might be closed that Sunday, I would check their schedule. Milestone might be packed with riders all hyped up over the race the night before.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

11/16/2017 1:28 PM

Probably wont catch any pros riding at any of these places listed the day after A1. Go to Glen helen, milestone is nothing special. PC isnt a bad idea. You could stop by Tom white motorcycle museum. Personally id just go to the beach and throw back some beers until its time to go. There are lots of tourist things to do that are not moto related.

|

11/16/2017 1:29 PM

Don't bother bringing any replica plates, Chad Reed won't sign it whistling

|

11/16/2017 1:42 PM

brocster wrote:

I would choose GH over Milestone if there is practice going on as it is so much more to see. Milestone is a fun place but its built on a flat piece of land.

I would also try and go see what is pictured above even though there won’t be any riding going on. I am new here and have spent all my free time riding the different local track and haven’t taken the time out to go see the factory tracks. Could be something I do this weekend as my pit crew (wife and son) will be out of town. On your way out there from Anaheim you’ll pass Pro Circuit just off the North side of the 91 in Corona, sorry forget the exit. Pretty sure more locals will chime in with ideas soon enough as I am fairly new to the area and still seeing stuff myself. See you at A1

The exit for Pro Circuit is Serfas Club Dr./Auto Center Drive. Exit, go north toward the In-N-Out Burger, and turn left at Wardlow Road. Follow Wardlow all the way to the end and it will drop you into PC's parking lot on the left. (I'm not sure they will be open on a Sunday, though.)

You might want to try a visit to Malcolm Smith's dealership (yes, that Malcolm Smith!) It's located a little farther east on 91 in Riverside at 7599 Indiana Ave. There's a museum upstairs with a lot of cool vintage stuff.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/16/2017 4:00 PM

I rode milestone the day after A1 in 2010. Nobody there. PC was underwhelming IMO, TLD was way cooler.
Universal studios is better. Newport pier, meh. Huntington, dead. First week in Jan is pretty boring in southern California.

|

11/17/2017 4:24 AM

shaunbruce827 wrote:

Don't bother bringing any replica plates, Chad Reed won't sign it whistling

Damn I was hoping to fund the trip with some signed plates.....

Not much of a Reed fan anyways

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/17/2017 4:26 AM

Falcon wrote:

The exit for Pro Circuit is Serfas Club Dr./Auto Center Drive. Exit, go north toward the In-N-Out Burger, and turn left at Wardlow Road. Follow Wardlow all the way to the end and it will drop you into PC's parking lot on the left. (I'm not sure they will be open on a Sunday, though.)

You might want to try a visit to Malcolm Smith's dealership (yes, that Malcolm Smith!) It's located a little farther east on 91 in Riverside at 7599 Indiana Ave. There's a museum upstairs with a lot of cool vintage stuff.

I really like the idea of going to any type of motocross museum so I will definitely look into going to Malcolm Smith's dealership. Thanks for the advice!

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/17/2017 4:33 AM

dirtmike86 wrote:

Probably wont catch any pros riding at any of these places listed the day after A1. Go to Glen helen, milestone is nothing special. PC isnt a bad idea. You could stop by Tom white motorcycle museum. Personally id just go to the beach and throw back some beers until its time to go. There are lots of tourist things to do that are not moto related.

Yea I figured there wouldn't be any top pros due to A1 being the day before. I'm sure those guys need a recovery day before they start the weekly grind again. I'll look into the Tom White Motorcycle Museum as I really like looking at some of the old school bikes and memorabilia. I'm not really into hanging out at a beach all day, though may stop at one for a quick visit to say I did. Thanks for you're help

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/17/2017 6:17 AM

billyp330 wrote:

I just booked 2 tickets for my dad and I to go to A1 for his Christmas gift. We live in NE Ohio and never been to the opener before so I'm super excited. Our flight doesn't leave until late Sunday night so we will have all day Sunday with no plans at all so far. What should we do? Would like to keep it moto related but would consider other things as well. Was thinking maybe just drive over to a close iconic track, such as Milestone or Glen Helen to watch practice (wish I could bring my bike). Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Use priceline auction bidding to get smokin deal for room nearby. Disneyland area.

|

11/17/2017 6:48 AM

BobbyM wrote:

Use priceline auction bidding to get smokin deal for room nearby. Disneyland area.

I booked our hotel when I purchased the flight and SX tickets. I'll keep that in mind for next trip though, thanks

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

11/17/2017 8:19 AM

You will have a blast. I have done the same thing for the last ten years. A1 is something special the electricity in the air is amazing.

|

11/17/2017 8:28 AM

I went to A1 for the 1st time last year and had a BLAST! Trying to do it every year now.

I was planning on going for 2 weeks and hit round 2 in San Diego .... but them moved round 2 to TX dizzy

|

11/17/2017 8:30 AM

billyp330 wrote:

I just booked 2 tickets for my dad and I to go to A1 for his Christmas gift. We live in NE Ohio and never been to the opener before so I'm super excited. Our flight doesn't leave until late Sunday night so we will have all day Sunday with no plans at all so far. What should we do? Would like to keep it moto related but would consider other things as well. Was thinking maybe just drive over to a close iconic track, such as Milestone or Glen Helen to watch practice (wish I could bring my bike). Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

BobbyM wrote:

Use priceline auction bidding to get smokin deal for room nearby. Disneyland area.

You'll have a blast... Enjoy.

|

11/17/2017 8:31 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I went to A1 for the 1st time last year and had a BLAST! Trying to do it every year now.

I was planning on going for 2 weeks and hit round 2 in San Diego .... but them moved round 2 to TX dizzy

See you at Phoenix.

|

11/17/2017 8:39 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I went to A1 for the 1st time last year and had a BLAST! Trying to do it every year now.

I was planning on going for 2 weeks and hit round 2 in San Diego .... but them moved round 2 to TX dizzy

BobbyM wrote:

See you at Phoenix.

thinking of driving from SC instead of flying to do that. HMMMMM .... Moto Hose box van?

|

11/17/2017 8:40 AM

I found the A1 excitement a lot like it is in Atlanta.

|

11/17/2017 8:45 AM

|

11/17/2017 9:17 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I went to A1 for the 1st time last year and had a BLAST! Trying to do it every year now.

I was planning on going for 2 weeks and hit round 2 in San Diego .... but them moved round 2 to TX dizzy

BobbyM wrote:

See you at Phoenix.

we're doing PX this year. Cant wait.

|