1st ride out on the new KTM....

Alec138
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 11:51am
1st ride today as a “test ride”. Rode awesome except the rock hard stock suspension. Guessing its setup for MX but the forks were so hard and shock was stiff as well it beat me to death in the woods. The seat foam and cover also didnt do any better either. The cover once wet and muddy was like a slip and slide when going up hills, etc. Any recommendations on a seat and cover that wont break the bank? Also noticed the clutch lever being way out and grabbing towards the end. I adjusted it to let out about 3/4 out but the lever went back to where it started grabbing at the end again towards the end of the day. My hand was killing me. Any idea how to get it to stay adjusted permanently? Going to detail it up when i get a chance this week....

|
Monk
1/6/2019 5:07pm
Suspension will take about 10+/-hrs to break in... Prior to that the best you can do is make sure you are using the correct spring rate in the rear/psi in the front.

KTM does make a better seat which are quite affordable and offers better grip.

As for the lever, you can make adjustments, and even bleed the system to make sure its progressive and has no air in the line. I would recommend playing with the adjustment knob first and bleed the fluid when you do your first suspension service (around 15-20hrs). For whatever reasons the stock stuff seems to contaminate quickly...
PTshox
1/6/2019 5:14pm
Just purchased my first KTM and have ridden it once. I found that the "ready to race" slogan is a bit off. Maybe you can race it stock. But don't expect to win! LOL.

The bike I have has lots of potential but it needs work. I had the same suspension experience as you've discussed... harsh in the woods. It's a 350 XC-F. 2016. It also needs a remap... really flames out at 1/16 to 1/8 throttle openings.

The Shop

Monk
1/6/2019 5:16pm
PTshox wrote:
Just purchased my first KTM and have ridden it once. I found that the "ready to race" slogan is a bit off. Maybe you can race...
Just purchased my first KTM and have ridden it once. I found that the "ready to race" slogan is a bit off. Maybe you can race it stock. But don't expect to win! LOL.

The bike I have has lots of potential but it needs work. I had the same suspension experience as you've discussed... harsh in the woods. It's a 350 XC-F. 2016. It also needs a remap... really flames out at 1/16 to 1/8 throttle openings.
Just turning up the idle helps immensely...
Alec138
1/6/2019 5:16pm
Monk wrote:
Suspension will take about 10+/-hrs to break in... Prior to that the best you can do is make sure you are using the correct spring rate...
Suspension will take about 10+/-hrs to break in... Prior to that the best you can do is make sure you are using the correct spring rate in the rear/psi in the front.

As for the lever, you can make adjustments, and even bleed the system to make sure its progressive and has no air in the line. I would recommend playing with the adjustment knob first and bleed the fluid when you do your first suspension service (around 15-20hrs). For whatever reasons the stock stuff seems to contaminate quickly...
Its already broken in. Bike has 35 original hrs from new + the 3 i added today. The seat is pretty bad to me so when i get more money the seat is gone. I plan on having it setup for me as well when i get the money. But is there anything to do to the forks and shock myself to make them more plush? Right now after 2hrs im beat.
Monk
1/6/2019 5:20pm
Monk wrote:
Suspension will take about 10+/-hrs to break in... Prior to that the best you can do is make sure you are using the correct spring rate...

Alec138 wrote:
Its already broken in. Bike has 35 original hrs from new + the 3 i added today. The seat is pretty bad to me so when...
Its already broken in. Bike has 35 original hrs from new + the 3 i added today. The seat is pretty bad to me so when i get more money the seat is gone. I plan on having it setup for me as well when i get the money. But is there anything to do to the forks and shock myself to make them more plush? Right now after 2hrs im beat.
When was the last suspension service? You could also lower your oil height which will soften them up a bit deeper in the stroke... What's your weight and PSI?
Alec138
1/6/2019 5:37pm
Monk wrote:

Alec138 wrote:
Its already broken in. Bike has 35 original hrs from new + the 3 i added today. The seat is pretty bad to me so when...
Monk wrote:
When was the last suspension service? You could also lower your oil height which will soften them up a bit deeper in the stroke... What's your...
When was the last suspension service? You could also lower your oil height which will soften them up a bit deeper in the stroke... What's your weight and PSI?
220 fully geared with water pack. PO said suspension was done after he got it because he had the forks seals replaced. The bike has only been ridden 2 times the past year. Guy barely rode it.
Monk
1/6/2019 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 5:46pm
Alec138 wrote:
Monk wrote:
When was the last suspension service? You could also lower your oil height which will soften them up a bit deeper in the stroke... What's your...
Alec138 wrote:
220 fully geared with water pack. PO said suspension was done after he got it because he had the forks seals replaced. The bike has only...
220 fully geared with water pack. PO said suspension was done after he got it because he had the forks seals replaced. The bike has only been ridden 2 times the past year. Guy barely rode it.
I would be shooting around 142-145psi for air pressure...

Hard to tell the year if your bike but your shock spring is going to be either a 42nm (2018/19) or 45nm (2017). The 42 will be too soft, as will the 45nm but will still show numbers that will reflect it being close to correct. I would be looking for a 48nm which came on the 2016 models. You weigh similar to me so a 48nm should really benefit you.
1/6/2019 5:58pm
It is an MX bike so it's never going to be plush in the woids but did you go out on the compression clickers at all? Can even go out a bit from stock on the rebound too to get some more plushness and which should help a bit more for off road.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
1/6/2019 6:03pm
a mate of mine just got a 2019 450, 4 hours in and the foot peg mounts cracked and pretty much snapped off and would also clean out and check your fuel filter.
when he took his bike to the shop for the foot pegs, they did a service and found metal shavings through the fuel filter from a faulty OEM filter.

PTECH
1/6/2019 6:07pm
Alec138 wrote:
Back the compression way out. I’m riding a 2019 300xc in rocky desert single track at 128 psi and only 3 clicks in on the compression and it feels amazing to me. I ran 145 psi my first couple times out as per the manual the first 3 times out but have since dropped gradually to 128 and it feels better and better in the nasty stuff. I’m 195 lbs plus gear.
JM485
1/6/2019 6:20pm
Check out Exile MX for a seat cover, really small company but they'll do whatever you want. I ordered one for my YZ and I'll be ordering more for the race bikes shortly after seeing how nice it was.
Alec138
1/6/2019 6:47pm
It is an MX bike so it's never going to be plush in the woids but did you go out on the compression clickers at all...
It is an MX bike so it's never going to be plush in the woids but did you go out on the compression clickers at all? Can even go out a bit from stock on the rebound too to get some more plushness and which should help a bit more for off road.
MX bikes do amazing in the woods. Few mods and you are set. I sold my yz250 with sss forks and they were so good and plush as can be. I have not touched anything suspension wise since i picked it up yesterday. Ill look through the manual and see what i need to turn to see if it helps any next time we ride.
Alec138
1/6/2019 6:49pm
Buy the ktm powersports seat. It’s $140. But bolts right up. Pretty awesome compared to the stock greased pig seat. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1061/48304/KTM-SXS-Wave-Seat?v=14956 $140 isn’t breaking the bank...
Buy the ktm powersports seat. It’s $140. But bolts right up. Pretty awesome compared to the stock greased pig seat.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1061/48304/KTM-SXS-Wave-Seat?v=149…
$140 isn’t breaking the bank when you’re riding a $9000 ktm. Haha.
If i can find just the foam for a soft seat ill be fine cause i can rewrap it with a ribbed cover which is what i want. But no luck on foam only....
Alec138
1/6/2019 6:50pm
JM485 wrote:
Check out Exile MX for a seat cover, really small company but they'll do whatever you want. I ordered one for my YZ and I'll be...
Check out Exile MX for a seat cover, really small company but they'll do whatever you want. I ordered one for my YZ and I'll be ordering more for the race bikes shortly after seeing how nice it was.
Ill look into it. How do they hold up? Ive had seat covers rip because a tie down went across it as extra protection.
JM485
1/6/2019 8:47pm
JM485 wrote:
Check out Exile MX for a seat cover, really small company but they'll do whatever you want. I ordered one for my YZ and I'll be...
Alec138 wrote:
Ill look into it. How do they hold up? Ive had seat covers rip because a tie down went across it as extra protection.
I've only had it on for about a month, but there's nothing indicating to me that it won't hold up well. I dropped my bike down a nice hill and bashed it off a rockPinch and it's still looking good, so I think if it was weak that would have probably done it in.
1/6/2019 8:53pm
PTshox wrote:
Just purchased my first KTM and have ridden it once. I found that the "ready to race" slogan is a bit off. Maybe you can race...

Getting the TPS (throttle position sensor) set correctly will help that and starting too.
1/6/2019 8:58pm
Buy the ktm powersports seat. It’s $140. But bolts right up. Pretty awesome compared to the stock greased pig seat. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1061/48304/KTM-SXS-Wave-Seat?v=14956 $140 isn’t breaking the bank...
Buy the ktm powersports seat. It’s $140. But bolts right up. Pretty awesome compared to the stock greased pig seat.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1061/48304/KTM-SXS-Wave-Seat?v=149…
$140 isn’t breaking the bank when you’re riding a $9000 ktm. Haha.
But when you can buy a $6000 RMZ with a good seat .......
1/6/2019 10:38pm
I cringe every time i see bikes mounted in the back of trucks or trailers with the forks cranked down super hard.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/6/2019 10:40pm
I put on the Guts light seat foam and gripper seat cover.

If you add an extra thrust washer to the mushroom in the clutch it will let it grab farther out on the bar.

JMX82
1/7/2019 12:21am
Make sure that the triple clamp bolts are torqued correctly. If they are torqued too tight the forks are going to have really harsh
aees
1/7/2019 12:40am
Alec138 wrote:
1st ride today as a “test ride”. Rode awesome except the rock hard stock suspension. Guessing its setup for MX but the forks were so hard...
1st ride today as a “test ride”. Rode awesome except the rock hard stock suspension. Guessing its setup for MX but the forks were so hard and shock was stiff as well it beat me to death in the woods. The seat foam and cover also didnt do any better either. The cover once wet and muddy was like a slip and slide when going up hills, etc. Any recommendations on a seat and cover that wont break the bank? Also noticed the clutch lever being way out and grabbing towards the end. I adjusted it to let out about 3/4 out but the lever went back to where it started grabbing at the end again towards the end of the day. My hand was killing me. Any idea how to get it to stay adjusted permanently? Going to detail it up when i get a chance this week....

1. Don't tighten the bike down around the handlebars, do it around the triple clamps
2. Put your stand under the bike and raise it up before tighten it. Air forks should not be compressed like that for longer times.
1/7/2019 5:43am
PTshox wrote:

It was the total opposite for me. Bought my 150XC-W , first race i entered gave me my first win. I only had to change the jetting a bit later in the summer.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/7/2019 5:56am
We have had new bikes come in for race prep. I will have to say the KTM is the closet to "race ready" as you are going to get. I have never NOT torn a new bike down to the frame and greased everything until we bought this KTM. I decided to put it to the test. We went over and torqued everything and let her rip. Wanted to let the suspension settle in. At around 13.5 hours we did a "race prep" and the suspension. I was surprised that everything was greased to a satisfactory level.

The new Honda's and Yamaha's we have seen have been scary dry. I think there must be a grease shortage in JapanTongue
Vet57
1/7/2019 6:46am
Gotta love the Carolina Red Clay..
1/7/2019 7:00am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 7:02am
I was sick of buying seat covers and the tearing at seams what seemed like after 1-10 hours. Bought the oem nicer seat with bump for my husky fc250 and put 40 hours on it. No tears. bolted right up. I’m gonna sell it here shortly just cuz I’m selling my 250f

But what I really like is the grip. Its coarse but still comfortable. Pics on rocky of that seat don’t do it justice. The entire seat has aggressive grip of the orange stripe areas.
ob
1/7/2019 7:50am
That is a aggressively set up motocross bike from the showroom. It won't work worth a shit in the woods if stock.

Post a reply to: 1st ride out on the new KTM....

The Latest