1st Electric mx bike experience

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
Last weekend I got my 1st taste of an electric mx bike, my friend bought a ktm freeride so he could ride alongside his wife while she was on her horse without scaring it.

I know the KTM freeride is not in the same league as the Alta but I was seriously impressed!

For anyone sceptical who hasn't riiden an electric bike, go and do so before nay saying them as I was sceptical before, but was genuinely blown away by it.

Good bits:
-No complaints from the row of 5 houses that run along the edge of the field we were riding in.

-The bike makes enough noise so you can still hear an engine and hear the rev range, and vibrates as a bike would.

-Being auto with no clutch and the back brake on the bars give you considerably less to do and think about which made it easier to focus on technique, body position, breathing etc.

-opening gates etc on the farm was made easy in comaparison to a petrol bike

Bad bits:
-This particualr model isn't in the same league power wise as even a 125 (but in fairness i don't think the freeride was made to compete with current mx bikes, Alta has shown power can be there)

-Battery was flat pretty quickly, if you put in the highest of the 3 preset gears battery is dead within half an hour. (battery development will come)

-Bike was bloody heavy! I would say heavier than a fully fueled muddy 450 this was a nightmare while putting on trailer etc but didn't feel any heavier than any bikes i'm used to when riding it.

Strange bits:

- Braking into coreners you feel like you've stalled it as it's completely silent, but obviously you can't stall it - would just take a bit of getting used to.

- In corner the revs start from the bottom and build up - probably better for traction but sometimes the immediate high rev power which is readily available by the slip of the clutch on a petrol bike isn't there (i'm sure a more powerful bike like the Alta has more instant available power.)

I know electrric bikes are talked about alot on here, some people love the idea and some people hate it.
I was non biased before riding one, since riding one i'm 100% biased that they are hands down the future.

Hardly any maintenance,
Way less noise poloution so the availablitly for new tracks will be tenfold.
Still had just as much fun riding it as a regular mx bike
|
peltier626
11/24/2018 6:10am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2018 6:17am
Great report, I'm waiting on KTM to release a competitive adult bike in the future to go along with the EE5 as I think this will be a great alternative to the ICE bikes. I'm satisfied with power equivalent to a 125 but battery life has to be an hour or so. Looking forward to battery/electric.
mikec265
11/24/2018 7:15am
I haven't heard of anyone riding an electric bike without being impressed by how good they are. With the exception of long rides they are almost perfect. I don't miss the constant trips to get race gas either.
Excaliburbmx
11/24/2018 8:00am
mikec265 wrote:
I haven't heard of anyone riding an electric bike without being impressed by how good they are. With the exception of long rides they are almost...
I haven't heard of anyone riding an electric bike without being impressed by how good they are. With the exception of long rides they are almost perfect. I don't miss the constant trips to get race gas either.
I’m not impressed with the initial cost or the battery life. Also parts will be a problem in the future.
Fourth_Floor
11/25/2018 8:09am
Weighs more than a 450, has less power than a 125 and battery lasts a half hour........What exactly is this bike purposed for?

The Shop

mikec265
11/25/2018 8:49am
Weighs more than a 450, has less power than a 125 and battery lasts a half hour........What exactly is this bike purposed for?
Not for mx. People had fun on the old overweight trail bikes. People can have fun on one of these gutless porkers too. These trail bikes were not designed for those of us who call them gutless porkers unless they were used as pit bikes. A beginner would get more than half an hour of ride time. I'd like to know how many electric bikes KTM has sold. I'm guessing more than Alta.
rallendude
11/26/2018 6:05am
I wonder if Alta or any of the other bike manufacturers have thought of putting a clutch on an electric bike? Would it make the transition any easier or is it even needed? I haven't ridden one yet. I was considering buying an Alta next year until they bellied up. Now I'm not so sure. But I was thinking there could be benefits of having a clutch to help meter power to the ground. Seeing them do starts at Straight Rhythm, it might just be an unnecessary component.
adamdf
11/26/2018 6:23am
rallendude wrote:
I wonder if Alta or any of the other bike manufacturers have thought of putting a clutch on an electric bike? Would it make the transition...
I wonder if Alta or any of the other bike manufacturers have thought of putting a clutch on an electric bike? Would it make the transition any easier or is it even needed? I haven't ridden one yet. I was considering buying an Alta next year until they bellied up. Now I'm not so sure. But I was thinking there could be benefits of having a clutch to help meter power to the ground. Seeing them do starts at Straight Rhythm, it might just be an unnecessary component.
I've been wondering the same thing and haven't seen anyone discuss this as yet. Would like to hear feedback from those that have ridden the Alta as to whether they think a clutch would be useful or not.
mikec265
11/26/2018 6:39am
There's a video of a Yamaha trials bike with a clutch somewhere.
pkiczuk
11/26/2018 6:59am
is there an indicator on when the battery is getting low or does it just kind of die? It would suck to be on the face of a jump and have no juice.
11/26/2018 7:17am
rallendude wrote:
I wonder if Alta or any of the other bike manufacturers have thought of putting a clutch on an electric bike? Would it make the transition...
adamdf wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing and haven't seen anyone discuss this as yet. Would like to hear feedback from those that have ridden the Alta...
I've been wondering the same thing and haven't seen anyone discuss this as yet. Would like to hear feedback from those that have ridden the Alta as to whether they think a clutch would be useful or not.
I never feel like having a "clutch" would be better on my Alta. The power is so smooth and instant in the corners that i can just modulate my right hand to get more or less power. The power is always there on tap.

If your gas bike had a power curve like an Alta, you probably wouldn't need to use the clutch on it.

Post a reply to: 1st Electric mx bike experience

The Latest