1996 TM 80

JMX82
2/3/2019 9:50pm
My friend had pink full size TM85 back in the 90's. He raced motocross in the 85 class with it. The bike was super fast compared to Japanese bikes at the time. I though it was super cool bike back then with Marzocchi forks, Öhlins shock , aluminum tank and pink plastics.

Question
2/4/2019 3:20am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2019 3:23am
I raced in mini against some tm of those years (including one who was full size). Really cool bikes, I would have loved to have one but it was even more expensive than the yz.

Overall the reliability was not bad at all, everything was breaking but nothing worse than the japanese bikes. You are lucky to have it with a conventional fork : indeed the only big weakness on this one was the upside down fork, I remember Sebastien Touche who was a semi factory rider broke like 6 or 9 of those forks in 1 season Wink

Congrats on the finding, and also on the finding of the plastics.
b8res
2/4/2019 9:43am
Might go up for sale. Friend that owns it is in the hospital or I should say extended care. Not looking good. He has a plated...
Might go up for sale. Friend that owns it is in the hospital or I should say extended care. Not looking good. He has a plated Husaberg and a mid 90’s GasGas 250. Had a storage locker full of bikes and tons of parts. Just trying to help him out.
Did he race D36 enduro's back in the late 90's on that bike?? If I remember correctly there was 2 older guys racing 80cc TM big wheels around that time... I think one was in the medical profession??
ccullins
2/4/2019 10:46am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2019 10:49am
Might go up for sale. Friend that owns it is in the hospital or I should say extended care. Not looking good. He has a plated...
Might go up for sale. Friend that owns it is in the hospital or I should say extended care. Not looking good. He has a plated Husaberg and a mid 90’s GasGas 250. Had a storage locker full of bikes and tons of parts. Just trying to help him out.
b8res wrote:
Did he race D36 enduro's back in the late 90's on that bike?? If I remember correctly there was 2 older guys racing 80cc TM big...
Did he race D36 enduro's back in the late 90's on that bike?? If I remember correctly there was 2 older guys racing 80cc TM big wheels around that time... I think one was in the medical profession??
That was Carl that someone else mentioned in a earlier post. He was a dentist in Marin County. His buddy had a Fantic 80 I believe. I seem to remember they called themselves “team slip-it” or somthing like that. This was like the late 80’s early 90’s.

The Shop

b8res
2/4/2019 11:32am
b8res wrote:
Did he race D36 enduro's back in the late 90's on that bike?? If I remember correctly there was 2 older guys racing 80cc TM big...
ccullins wrote:
That was Carl that someone else mentioned in a earlier post. He was a dentist in Marin County. His buddy had a Fantic 80 I believe...
That was Carl that someone else mentioned in a earlier post. He was a dentist in Marin County. His buddy had a Fantic 80 I believe. I seem to remember they called themselves “team slip-it” or somthing like that. This was like the late 80’s early 90’s.
I've meet those cats at the WFO enduro, Stonyford, CA back around 99 or 2000, If were talking about the same guy, which I'm sure we are, they both had TM's 80's and one of the bikes was for sale, I was interested in the 80, we spoke on the phone, the guy from Marin... I ended up buying a 99 GasGas EC200, which I still have.
vmx3
1/15/2024 7:44am
Found an old (1996?) adult TM 80. Very low hours and pretty trick bike. 18 / 21 inch tires. Has a new 100cc cylinder/ head /...
Found an old (1996?) adult TM 80. Very low hours and pretty trick bike. 18 / 21 inch tires. Has a new 100cc cylinder/ head / piston / ring kit and tons of spare parts. Has a new aluminum gas tank and 3 new ex pipes. Sure not much of a mx bike, but maybe a cool trail bike. $1000.00 dollars for a 100cc cylinder kit in 2003, holy crap.

I just bought one of those last week, it differs from yours a little in that it's a motocross model or Cross as TM called them then. I rode a '94 one a few years ago and it was so much fun that I've been looking for one of my own ever since.MY 1996 TM 80 CROSS CCM TALLAGHT DUBLIN 5TH JAN. %2724 %2314

Herb Eaversmells
Fantasy
4304th
1/15/2024 7:50am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2024 7:33pm

I did end up selling the bike a while back.  Sold it to the TM dealer in California.  Pretty sad to see it go, but its in better hands.  Think the bike made it into Motocross action after he cleaned it up.

vmx3
1/15/2024 7:57am
I did end up selling the bike a while back.  Sold it to the TM dealer in California.  Pretty sad to see it go, but its...

I did end up selling the bike a while back.  Sold it to the TM dealer in California.  Pretty sad to see it go, but its in better hands.  Think the bike made it into Motocross action after he cleaned it up.

I saw it at his place a few years ago, he had it in the kitchen of the guest house. It looked like brand new.

1/15/2024 8:40am
mxrose3 wrote:
Didn't the ISDE have an adult 80 class at one time? I remember seeing a few Euro brand full size 80 enduro bikes back in the...
Didn't the ISDE have an adult 80 class at one time? I remember seeing a few Euro brand full size 80 enduro bikes back in the day.

Paul Edmondson raced a British enduro champ round at 16 but didn't have a road license (some courses used roads for transition to other sections) so had a CR50 engine put into a CR80 chassis, as "learner riders" were limited to 50cc till they 17. Pretty sure he finished 3rd overall on it, he was phenomenal as a kid.

And yes; big-wheel 80cc bikes were quite popular back in the day as they were so agile in the woods.

Traskrider
1/16/2024 4:59pm
BR8ES wrote:
I would love to know what happened to that LR KX 80.... I have been on the fence about ordering up a new TM 85 full...
I would love to know what happened to that LR KX 80.... I have been on the fence about ordering up a new TM 85 full size, would be a lot of fun and very unique.

IMG 0318

it’s alive and well, Ken Faught Ended up with it. 

IMG 0320
IMG 0319

Traskrider
1/17/2024 8:24am
b8res wrote:
ccullins wrote:
That was Carl that someone else mentioned in a earlier post. He was a dentist in Marin County. His buddy had a Fantic 80 I believe...

I remember team “slip-it” at the Trask 2 day qualifier in Yamhill Oregon in the early 90’s. They had their own pit tent and one of them was a chiropractor who offered “free adjustments” - much needed after the ISDE 😂

Richy
1/17/2024 11:31am

This thread is wild, I love it.

Except the poor fella with the cool collection laid up in hospital,  of course.

Some sweet bikes and interesting stuff in here 👍

1/17/2024 6:55pm

Subaki on the swing arm? Never heard of the company, something that faded away?

Post a reply to: 1996 TM 80

The Latest