1985 strikes back at LL quali

6/19/2013 8:45am
Torco1 wrote:
[img]https://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0glkebVZF1rqql3po1_500.gif[/img]
Is that a young Matthes dealing with an irate JT$ at Haloween
sc961
6/19/2013 9:16am
Maybe a little perspective on this one.

All Jerry did was run an old model bike at a LL Regional Qualifier because his newer bike is broke, and the family can't afford to fix it.

Doesn't seem like a negative situation for any of us.

We "all the people out there on the internet" have done the rest. Threads, support, notoriety, a little bashing, and so on.

If someone, or some company want's to help Jerry and the Robin family out, more power to them.

Good Luck in Tennessee Jerry!
Tumblin
6/19/2013 9:21am
I hear you Miedo, but this is what I like about this place - moto heads-moto passion!
"As for 500guy. Damn I don't miss this place. You are such a dickwad. I only came because I saw a facebook post about a donation page for this guy listed on Vital. Thing is, sure I'm anti new 4 stroke due to cost and the good of the sport. But when I see someone line up on a 1995 XR400 or KTM 900 or whatever old bike, I am happy to see it. I think it is cool "

Whatever Jerry rides in the future, we know he shook up some players and rattled our awareness of our own marketed shortcomings. It feels good as a fan, but doubt many "insiders" are diggin it so much.

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
6/19/2013 9:21am
I hope he continues to do his own thing, which I hope and assume includes staying in school, and wins at LL despite the fact he doesn't live and train at a rider manufacturing plant. If he did it on his '85 CR250 that would be really cool. If he does it on another bike because he knows it will increase his odds of a good finish I wouldn't fault him for it. I do think he could attract some unique support on the '85 that he might not get on a 250f. I wish him luck.
Jack mehoff
6/19/2013 9:52am
I would venture to guess the family is very humble and has a lot off pride they where not the ones that started this post and I am sure they are a bit over whelmed at this point . All that this community can do is offer there support and if they would like to take it , at that point they feel its in Jerry's best interest , I personally will be donating a Benjamin to the cause because I feel if the parents get in a pinch and need it its there . As a parent I am sure they they are teaching Jerry some kind off lesson ( we all know there is a bunch spoiled kids in the pits already ) about hard work dedication etc . What I do hope is when this all settles down that they sit down swallow some pride and take the bits and pieces that would give Jerry the once in a life time experiences that people have offered . Who knows where it can take him , we all know life is a long strange trip , and to think this all happened by accident . With that being said I wish the family the best off luck at Loretta's because after watching the video we can all see he had the talent and potential to make some noise down there ,
6/19/2013 10:05am
This is hilarious, yet disturbing. Good luck to the kid, and trying to do something different.

As for 500guy, just watch some of his Youtube videos. It explains everything. What a frikkin tool that guy is. Seriously.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/19/2013 12:55pm
Very cool story and hope you keep enjoying every minute of it on any bike. Stewart needs some laps on that front end. Ha ha It's all about riding for fun and that was a real fun bike to ride. That suspension was just soaking up the bumps while the new rigid bikes were slamming their way through.
yota
6/19/2013 1:19pm
FLmxer wrote:
Very cool story and hope you keep enjoying every minute of it on any bike. Stewart needs some laps on that front end. Ha ha It's...
Very cool story and hope you keep enjoying every minute of it on any bike. Stewart needs some laps on that front end. Ha ha It's all about riding for fun and that was a real fun bike to ride. That suspension was just soaking up the bumps while the new rigid bikes were slamming their way through.
hey, nice bass in your pic. what lake did you catch that in?
6/19/2013 2:14pm
FLmxer wrote:
Very cool story and hope you keep enjoying every minute of it on any bike. Stewart needs some laps on that front end. Ha ha It's...
yota wrote:
He fishes in my dream lake, Okeechobee. Some day I will get myself to that area and fish that magnificent lake, some day.
bouman.9
6/19/2013 3:12pm
What if he doesn't win on a new 4stroke?
Maybe he is slower on a new 4stroke

1985cr250 is a underrated wapen and the convensional forks 87' are the best ever .better than upsidedown.insiders know that.

New bikes better? is just marketing ,brainwashing

I ride also a 1985cr250 coming from a couple new 4strokes first ; much faster!

Everyone can buy a 80's cr250. Just try it you wont't regret it!

Honda wil be ashamed when they heard this story. They get now a punch in the face for trying to kill 2strokes with one off her
Own 2strokes hahahahahaha..........
6/19/2013 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2013 4:00pm
bouman.9 wrote:
What if he doesn't win on a new 4stroke? Maybe he is slower on a new 4stroke 1985cr250 is a underrated wapen and the convensional forks...

1985cr250 is a underrated wapen and the convensional forks 87' are the best ever .better than upsidedown.insiders know that.

Honda wil be ashamed when they heard this story. They get now a punch in the face for trying to kill 2strokes with one off her
A couple of thoughts here...

To those that say he is a sponsor's dream -- only if the sponsor is not selling dirt bikes or dirt bike parts. He is a NIGHTMARE for them. How can you sell a 250F cam if that cam equipped $10k 250F gets pulled down a straight by a $1200 30 year old, smoke belching, premix swilling, drum braked, right side up forked, two stroke?

To those that think they guy is pulling a stunt. What better stunt than qualifying for LL AND winning 250B at LL? The way to maximize the chances of that are to be on up to date orthodox equipment (well maybe -- that or everyone around is wrong on what works best). That being the case he would be on a 250F. No profit in running the old iron (again if the conventional wisdom is not simply a bunch of cookie cutter followers).

Is there any other path where he could NOT be the real deal?????

I would not mind one wit donating to his cause.
6/19/2013 4:00pm
FLmxer wrote:
hey everyone, im jerrys dad and first I would like to say thank you for all the support! most of you out there seem to understand our situation but there are a few of you that do not get it, such as 500 guy, turtle , vinillaice782 and doctorjd. we didn't ask anybody to do this, yes ,its true, we have a 2011 yz 125 that a good friend of mine bought used last spring for 4000 dollars, it was a good used bike with about 30 hours on it, he GAVE it to jerry, all last year it was his practice and race bike, needless to say that when a bike gets ridden like jerry rides, its not gonna b a good bike for long and this is where Jack mehoff hit the nail on the head and I hope every one read his post. As far as rock river yamahas goes, we have no rock river yamahas, but Mke Duclos from rock river gives us a good deal on parts and has been a big help to us, but there r NO free bikes for us. Next thing is, that cr 250 he was on is my bike that I was able to purchase from steve benolkin, the price was, I traded a cabnit sandblaster and I also painted some vintage Honda gas tanks for him, done deal, thanks again steve, the reason for me getting a bike was cuz every spring we try to make it to grand junction colo. for some fun trail riding and it was a easy way for me to get a bike so I could ride with jerry, I never dreamed hed b racing it some day but due to things beond my control its tuned out that's all he has to ride rite now. when we went to area qualifs, the intention was to ride the 125 in schoolboy 1 and 2 and just rode the cr for more riding time on the track. by the end of that wknd it wasn't shifting properly , went home and split the cases and found 1 big mess, worn out junk! lots of spendy parts are needed, and because of this, we aren't sure if ill b able to have it going by regional at Byron in a couple weeks, so to give jerry some options we decided to go to am regional at milleville, and since that's the only other big bike we have, he raced it. oh yeah, we have 1 more bike that he rides when worse comes to worse, its a 01 gasgas 200, also worn out junk or maybe even a little worse than that but jerry doesn't complaine as long as he can ride something, he just loves to ride. as a parent I feel like have failed miserably, not being fiancialy able to get him the things he needs and get him where he needs to be. As far as turning down support, we have only turned down 1 offer, that being a suspension offer, wich was also a tough decision, but we have been witth enzo for years and craig decker has worked with jerry and has been very helpful, the hard part about that decision was that jm racing threw out the offer to do free suspention for FREE, but we have a great relationship with craig decker from enzo so we will stay with him until the big deal comes along but we are just trying to be true to the people that have helped us get to this point. other offers are on the table too, but these are overwhelming times for us and too jump in and just sign on on the first thing that comes along would b foolish on our part, we have neverexpierianced this kind of support before and we want to makethe rite descisions, doing this without stepping on peoples toes is very difficult, and that's the last thing we want to do is step on peoples toes that want to help. if there are still any doughters out there, there r many ways to find out more about us, such as contacting john n gretta martin, owners of spring creek mx park or josh cartrite the racer or dale kadlec, owners of moto city raceway, im sure they would have no problems straighting out the doughters ways of thinking, and by the way, these things the doughters are saying really hurt bad cuz its just not the case! BUT TO ALL JERRYS FANS OUT THERE I WANT TO SAY AGIN THANK YOU SO MUCH, OUR HEARTS HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY THE NICE THINGS PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT MY BOY AND YOUR GENOROUSITY ,that's it for now, we will b working on getting a fanpage set up on facebook for jerry....FANS ARE THE BEST!
newmann
6/19/2013 4:15pm
FLmxer wrote:
hey everyone, im jerrys dad and first I would like to say thank you for all the support! most of you out there seem to understand...
hey everyone, im jerrys dad and first I would like to say thank you for all the support! most of you out there seem to understand our situation but there are a few of you that do not get it, such as 500 guy, turtle , vinillaice782 and doctorjd. we didn't ask anybody to do this, yes ,its true, we have a 2011 yz 125 that a good friend of mine bought used last spring for 4000 dollars, it was a good used bike with about 30 hours on it, he GAVE it to jerry, all last year it was his practice and race bike, needless to say that when a bike gets ridden like jerry rides, its not gonna b a good bike for long and this is where Jack mehoff hit the nail on the head and I hope every one read his post. As far as rock river yamahas goes, we have no rock river yamahas, but Mke Duclos from rock river gives us a good deal on parts and has been a big help to us, but there r NO free bikes for us. Next thing is, that cr 250 he was on is my bike that I was able to purchase from steve benolkin, the price was, I traded a cabnit sandblaster and I also painted some vintage Honda gas tanks for him, done deal, thanks again steve, the reason for me getting a bike was cuz every spring we try to make it to grand junction colo. for some fun trail riding and it was a easy way for me to get a bike so I could ride with jerry, I never dreamed hed b racing it some day but due to things beond my control its tuned out that's all he has to ride rite now. when we went to area qualifs, the intention was to ride the 125 in schoolboy 1 and 2 and just rode the cr for more riding time on the track. by the end of that wknd it wasn't shifting properly , went home and split the cases and found 1 big mess, worn out junk! lots of spendy parts are needed, and because of this, we aren't sure if ill b able to have it going by regional at Byron in a couple weeks, so to give jerry some options we decided to go to am regional at milleville, and since that's the only other big bike we have, he raced it. oh yeah, we have 1 more bike that he rides when worse comes to worse, its a 01 gasgas 200, also worn out junk or maybe even a little worse than that but jerry doesn't complaine as long as he can ride something, he just loves to ride. as a parent I feel like have failed miserably, not being fiancialy able to get him the things he needs and get him where he needs to be. As far as turning down support, we have only turned down 1 offer, that being a suspension offer, wich was also a tough decision, but we have been witth enzo for years and craig decker has worked with jerry and has been very helpful, the hard part about that decision was that jm racing threw out the offer to do free suspention for FREE, but we have a great relationship with craig decker from enzo so we will stay with him until the big deal comes along but we are just trying to be true to the people that have helped us get to this point. other offers are on the table too, but these are overwhelming times for us and too jump in and just sign on on the first thing that comes along would b foolish on our part, we have neverexpierianced this kind of support before and we want to makethe rite descisions, doing this without stepping on peoples toes is very difficult, and that's the last thing we want to do is step on peoples toes that want to help. if there are still any doughters out there, there r many ways to find out more about us, such as contacting john n gretta martin, owners of spring creek mx park or josh cartrite the racer or dale kadlec, owners of moto city raceway, im sure they would have no problems straighting out the doughters ways of thinking, and by the way, these things the doughters are saying really hurt bad cuz its just not the case! BUT TO ALL JERRYS FANS OUT THERE I WANT TO SAY AGIN THANK YOU SO MUCH, OUR HEARTS HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY THE NICE THINGS PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT MY BOY AND YOUR GENOROUSITY ,that's it for now, we will b working on getting a fanpage set up on facebook for jerry....FANS ARE THE BEST!
Steve Benolkin .....hmmmmm now there is a guy who knows a thing or two about dirt bikes. His brother Tom, at probably 55 or so years old can still kick some serious ass on a dirt bike! Keep us updated on the old CR racing as things progress.
smeg
6/19/2013 4:17pm
Thanks for the post Dan..... I can't help too much but I will donate what I can. Best of luck to you, your boy and your family. Musta been kinda tough to stick with Enzo considering the JT offer but like they say..... Dance with the one that brought ya'.

Don't let the negative vibes get to you..... It's the interwebz so you can expect "haters". It's just the nature of the beast.

Will be keeping track of your kids progress.... Good luck!
reded
6/19/2013 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2013 4:24pm
Dan, shame on you for feeling like a failure. You've managed to raise a boy who isn't a spoiled, self entitled brat, something that is priceless in this day and age. It seems he's willing to use whatever tools he can get his hands on in order to perfect his craft. Every last one of us old guys would love to be 16 yrs old and in his shoes again. I hope you use this opportunity and the extra funds wisely in an attempt to make this deal a dream come true.

Good Luck!
bouman.9
6/19/2013 4:23pm
bouman.9 wrote:
What if he doesn't win on a new 4stroke? Maybe he is slower on a new 4stroke 1985cr250 is a underrated wapen and the convensional forks...

A couple of thoughts here... To those that say he is a sponsor's dream -- only if the sponsor is not selling dirt bikes or dirt...
A couple of thoughts here...

To those that say he is a sponsor's dream -- only if the sponsor is not selling dirt bikes or dirt bike parts. He is a NIGHTMARE for them. How can you sell a 250F cam if that cam equipped $10k 250F gets pulled down a straight by a $1200 30 year old, smoke belching, premix swilling, drum braked, right side up forked, two stroke?

To those that think they guy is pulling a stunt. What better stunt than qualifying for LL AND winning 250B at LL? The way to maximize the chances of that are to be on up to date orthodox equipment (well maybe -- that or everyone around is wrong on what works best). That being the case he would be on a 250F. No profit in running the old iron (again if the conventional wisdom is not simply a bunch of cookie cutter followers).

Is there any other path where he could NOT be the real deal?????

I would not mind one wit donating to his cause.
The kid doesn't know by his self whats he is doing is a stunt. Indeed it is always a stunt winning on a 85cr250 but a very good one
Its almost he is the new mx messias haha.
I hope his "stunt" wil open the mx world the eyes for going the wrong direction with no fun on expensive formule 1 mx bikes
Witch are at the end not even faster.......
And i hope the factories see that there is a market too produce cheap relaible easy strong fast simple maintenance mx bikes
Witch are the rescue .
Poor people can have very talented children
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/19/2013 4:37pm
FLmxer wrote:
hey everyone, im jerrys dad and first I would like to say thank you for all the support! most of you out there seem to understand...
I see a very respectable and grateful kid having a blast on a dirtbike. I would say you are doing a great job Dan and family and Jerry is going to be just fine because he obviously has the foundation instilled by you. Best of luck to you guys.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/19/2013 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2013 4:42pm
FLmxer wrote:
yota wrote:
He fishes in my dream lake, Okeechobee. Some day I will get myself to that area and fish that magnificent lake, some day.
Come on down any time guys. They are always biting year around but the best time for monsters Jan - April. Right now is tarpon time.
bouman.9
6/19/2013 4:42pm
FLmxer wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
I see a very respectable and grateful kid having a blast on a dirtbike. I would say you are doing a great job Dan and family...
I see a very respectable and grateful kid having a blast on a dirtbike. I would say you are doing a great job Dan and family and Jerry is going to be just fine because he obviously has the foundation instilled by you. Best of luck to you guys.
Jerry is in good hands!
newmann
6/19/2013 4:52pm
reded wrote:
Dan, shame on you for feeling like a failure. You've managed to raise a boy who isn't a spoiled, self entitled brat, something that is priceless...
Dan, shame on you for feeling like a failure. You've managed to raise a boy who isn't a spoiled, self entitled brat, something that is priceless in this day and age. It seems he's willing to use whatever tools he can get his hands on in order to perfect his craft. Every last one of us old guys would love to be 16 yrs old and in his shoes again. I hope you use this opportunity and the extra funds wisely in an attempt to make this deal a dream come true.

Good Luck!
No doubt, raising a kid who understands the value of a dollar and is appreciative of the things he has is a great accomplishment these days. Lots of spoiled kids out there, your kid has probably lapped a few of them.
Tumblin
6/19/2013 5:44pm
So may kids and even adults are sucked into our marketing and even those BNG's that honestly it's driven this nation past the brink. We are a want it yesterday and want the latest and that's not only moto. The enticement to overspend, to morgage the house to have the latest sneakers/phone/pipes has consumed much of our future wealth and security.
Maybe Buman.9 is on to it, Jerry could be the massia if not an inspiration for saving our struggling moto families (although probably not the industry) to get their prepective's in order.
I've worked with a great man that retired, made a great deal for his son and his family to buy his and his mother's house after he had built a small 2 room home to move into on that same property. It seemed like a great plan, until the son continued to refinance and pull money out to support their 10 year olds moto "career". Wasn't long before they lost it all and now Dad and Mom are in a trailer park and Dad's back to laboring at work. The Moto's done with family in shambles. Many of this spoiled generation that haven't had to endure- to sacrifice will continue to spiral....and vote democrat HA!
brocster
6/19/2013 5:49pm
atta boy dan! be very proud and hold your head high, you and jerry deserve it!

jerry will be racing against a good friend at that ranch and i'll be watching and rooting the two of you on!
BAD10
6/19/2013 6:01pm
FLmxer wrote:
Its a sad state of affairs when people have to twist and turn a story like you and your sons in to some kind of conspiracy or agenda. Why cant it be that you guys are doing the best you can with what you have? That's how I see it. Your story is very inspiring, and you should be very proud of your son and how he seems to be handling this. Don't let the haters, doubters, and negative asses bother you in any way. What your son is doing is awesome, and since yesterday I have told all my friends about it and had them watch the videos, and we all cant help but smile and say how bad a$$ this is! Personally, this is the feel good moto story of the year, and I cant wait to see more as it unfolds. This is FUN stuff!! I will also be making a small donation to the cause.
loftyair
6/19/2013 6:09pm
What a nice story. It's even better than that girl that spanked the rest on a 125! Only the 4-stroke cool-aid drinkers are 'hatin' it right now, they have been duped not only out of their money, but their beliefs! My kid consistently gets better starts on a ktm 150sx than most on modified 250f's. Good luck to Jerry, hope that old dinosaur 2-stroked rips them a new one big enough to fit a 4-stroke in!
6/19/2013 6:10pm
reded wrote:
Dan, shame on you for feeling like a failure. You've managed to raise a boy who isn't a spoiled, self entitled brat, something that is priceless...

Good Luck!
newmann wrote:
No doubt, raising a kid who understands the value of a dollar and is appreciative of the things he has is a great accomplishment these days...
No doubt, raising a kid who understands the value of a dollar and is appreciative of the things he has is a great accomplishment these days. Lots of spoiled kids out there, your kid has probably lapped a few of them.
I hope my kids grow up to be appreciative as you've raised yours Dan. That right there is the best piece of work you can ever do. There are plenty on here that will be following so keep going.

As for that dick wad fat guy, I hope you feel like the big piece of shit you are after being corrected for the whole world to read.
JB 19
6/19/2013 6:34pm
Could you imagine if Troy Adamitis got a hold of this story?
YZ125H1
6/19/2013 7:01pm
Damn this is cool this is really want this sport needs at the moment. I contemplated getting a restored 93 CR250 but still and leaning towards the 05-07 CR250. Im surprised he can be so competitive on an 85' i know the 87 was probably they best but Honda was on a roll back in the 80's. Surprised he can get the suspension to work that good. The only thing out the old bikes is the seats are wide and not flat :/
Outsider
6/19/2013 7:18pm
Jarid332 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/06/19/25001/s1200_1371676819875.jpg[/img]
HAR!

Post a reply to: 1985 strikes back at LL quali

The Latest