1984 Daytona Supercross - Who Really Got 2nd?

希望
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:19am
From 13:06 to 14:00 minute mark of the video, you can see Johnny O'Mara and Rick Johnson cross the finish line virtually at the same time. O'Mara was told he got third and so, in disgust, refused to walk up onto the victory podium.

1. Has any rider at an AMA national or supercross since O'Mara at Daytona refused to climb up on the podium?

2. After watching the video, who do you think got 2nd?

|
8/1/2011 8:50am
I watched that live, it was on ABCs Wide World of Sports I think. When I saw O'Show launch that finish line jump I didnt believe what I had seen. I read an interview, or maybe it was a Matthes podcast, when asked about the landing O'Show said it wasnt bad at all and he probably should have done it every time.

To the original question, I think the call was right, looks like RJ had it to me.
希望
8/1/2011 8:54am
tblazier wrote:
I looked liked a dead tie to me.
That's why I posted this asking what other people thought.

I watched that in slow mo like 20 times. I can't decide who got 2nd.

They virtually cross as the same time.
希望
8/1/2011 9:12am
There are only 3 photos of this that I can find on the Internet.

The Shop

dosparks
8/1/2011 9:46am
1. Has any rider at an AMA national or supercross since O'Mara at Daytona refused to climb up on the podium?

James Stewart didn't come to the podium at Thunder Valley after getting a third overall... I believe it was in 2006.
JB 19
8/1/2011 10:20am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2011 10:20am
Daytona in the 80's..............when bike week was still dominated by race fans........
Tbteam
8/1/2011 10:25am
Well, since I was standing right there, I can tell you that there was no way an official could make that call and be 100% certain. The difficult part was that Johnny was going like 40 mph (exaggerating, but not by much) faster that Johnson so you couldn't look at the two front tires side by side in "real time".

In my opinion, I just wanted Johnny to have it from the huge balls perspective.
TDeath21
8/1/2011 10:31am
Millsaps at Freestone this year didn't go to the podium. RC in 00 or 01 didn't go to the podium when he got 2nd. He was really sick that day. No clue what race it was though. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would give it to Johnny O if I were the official, but it really looked like a dead tie to me so I guess they made the right call.
tblazier
8/1/2011 2:41pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Millsaps at Freestone this year didn't go to the podium. RC in 00 or 01 didn't go to the podium when he got 2nd. He was...
Millsaps at Freestone this year didn't go to the podium. RC in 00 or 01 didn't go to the podium when he got 2nd. He was really sick that day. No clue what race it was though. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would give it to Johnny O if I were the official, but it really looked like a dead tie to me so I guess they made the right call.
It was at Troy Ohio I think. If I remember correctly RC actually crapped his pants during the Moto and did not go to the podium for obvious reasons.
希望
8/1/2011 2:53pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Millsaps at Freestone this year didn't go to the podium. RC in 00 or 01 didn't go to the podium when he got 2nd. He was...

tblazier wrote:
It was at Troy Ohio I think. If I remember correctly RC actually crapped his pants during the Moto and did not go to the podium...
It was at Troy Ohio I think. If I remember correctly RC actually crapped his pants during the Moto and did not go to the podium for obvious reasons.
That's not what I'm talking about and so I should have clarified it in my post.

I mean - Has any rider at an AMA National or Supercross not climbed the podium in protest of a result or disagreement of how the race results turned out.

I'm NOT talking about Carmichael shitting his pants, etc.
Travis707
8/2/2011 6:01am
Tbteam wrote:
Well, since I was standing right there, I can tell you that there was no way an official could make that call and be 100% certain...
Well, since I was standing right there, I can tell you that there was no way an official could make that call and be 100% certain. The difficult part was that Johnny was going like 40 mph (exaggerating, but not by much) faster that Johnson so you couldn't look at the two front tires side by side in "real time".

I was standing there too. Unfortunately I lowered my camera and missed the shot... too busy being a fan, I guess. It looked to me like Johnson got 2nd but man was that close! I thought O'Mara was going to wad up big-time. They should have started the "Johnny O Big Balls Award"... you know, kind of like the RC Hard Charger award. LOL!
Tbteam
8/2/2011 7:21am
Tbteam wrote:
Well, since I was standing right there, I can tell you that there was no way an official could make that call and be 100% certain...

Travis707 wrote:
I was standing there too. Unfortunately I lowered my camera and missed the shot... too busy being a fan, I guess. It looked to me like...
I was standing there too. Unfortunately I lowered my camera and missed the shot... too busy being a fan, I guess. It looked to me like Johnson got 2nd but man was that close! I thought O'Mara was going to wad up big-time. They should have started the "Johnny O Big Balls Award"... you know, kind of like the RC Hard Charger award. LOL!
I was really glad that David didn't spend too much time celebrating on the track after he finished. Johnny definitely could have landed on him from about 30' up!
zippy895
8/2/2011 7:31am
Tbteam wrote:

Travis707 wrote:
I was standing there too. Unfortunately I lowered my camera and missed the shot... too busy being a fan, I guess. It looked to me like...
who was the official then.was it duke finch?
希望
8/2/2011 9:50am
Tbteam wrote:

Travis707 wrote:
Tbteam wrote:
I was really glad that David didn't spend too much time celebrating on the track after he finished. Johnny definitely could have landed on him from...
I was really glad that David didn't spend too much time celebrating on the track after he finished. Johnny definitely could have landed on him from about 30' up!
That's actually a good point. I hadn't thought about that. I bet a lot of riders don't either, but they should. JO might have flown over him or landed on him.

Post a reply to: 1984 Daytona Supercross - Who Really Got 2nd?

The Latest