1982 FIM World Champion Danny Laporte

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2014 7:57 AM

If I am correct at what I read Danny Laporte won the 250 World Championships his first year there in Europe in 1982. It can be done. A lot has changed but Villo is a better chance then Laporte was and he did it. Time will tell. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

|

10/3/2014 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2014 8:52 AM

Remember.. The heavy hitters were spread between the 250 and 500 classes back then.. Some, (maybe most) would say the 500 was the premier class... Ask Brad Lackey.

no disrespect to Danny's awesome accomplishment.

RV is stepping into the biggest of the Rings. I hope he wins it, but it won't be a cakewalk..

|

Name withheld... Esquire


10/3/2014 8:56 AM

In an interview on MXA's website, Ryno says no American has won on their first try. I guess he needs to study a little MX history. He also says AC will win over RV.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

10/3/2014 9:48 AM

mx317 wrote:

In an interview on MXA's website, Ryno says no American has won on their first try. I guess he needs to study a little MX history. He also says AC will win over RV.

Danny LaPorte in 1982 and Donny Schmit in 1990 (125) both won in their first year in GP's.

|

10/3/2014 11:03 AM

And Trampas Parker rode just a couple of 500 GPs in 1988, then won the 125 World Championship his first full season in a Farioli KTM sponsored by Chesterfield smokes....

DC
MX Sports

|

10/3/2014 11:24 AM

Brad Lackey got his 500cc World GP title after 10 years of blood sweat and tears. Danny snagged his 250 World Title a week later in his first attempt.

I saw Danny Tuesday night during my 22 hours in LA and gave his the world champions book from this nice Estonian gentleman. Will post pics later.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

10/3/2014 2:21 PM

The Rock wrote:

Brad Lackey got his 500cc World GP title after 10 years of blood sweat and tears. Danny snagged his 250 World Title a week later in his first attempt.

I saw Danny Tuesday night during my 22 hours in LA and gave his the world champions book from this nice Estonian gentleman. Will post pics later.

I believe Laporte won his first. Lackey was a week later.

|

10/3/2014 2:22 PM

project racer wrote:

I believe Laporte won his first. Lackey was a week later.

No sir.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

10/3/2014 2:29 PM

The Swedish 250 GP at Vimmerby that LaPorte clinched at (and Donnie Hansen won) was two weeks after the Luxembourg 500 GP where Lackey took the title.

DC
MX Sports

|

10/3/2014 2:35 PM

|

10/3/2014 2:35 PM

DC wrote:

The Swedish 250 GP at Vimmerby that LaPorte clinched at (and Donnie Hansen won) was two weeks after the Luxembourg 500 GP where Lackey took the title.

DC
MX Sports

DC check that , as I remember LaPorte won just before Lackey.

I remember thinking at the time that it sucked for Lackey after all those years trying to become the first American to win a world title and LaPorte did it in one year and beat him to it by one week.

|

I've been here 17 years , am I still English, man ???

10/3/2014 2:36 PM

I think you are right I remember it pretty clearly.

|

I've been here 17 years , am I still English, man ???

10/3/2014 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2014 3:40 PM

englishman wrote:

DC check that , as I remember LaPorte won just before Lackey.

I remember thinking at the time that it sucked for Lackey after all those years trying to become the first American to win a world title and LaPorte did it in one year and beat him to it by one week.

LaPorte won it after Lackey regardless of how you remember it. I interviewed Danny for MXA a few years ago and we talked about this timing but maybe we should have called you first? :-)

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

10/3/2014 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2014 3:51 PM

That's weird, as I also remember it as Laporte winning it first. I think maybe it was just that he stole some of Lackey's thunder by doing it in his first attempt.

|

10/3/2014 3:56 PM

DC wrote:

And Trampas Parker rode just a couple of 500 GPs in 1988, then won the 125 World Championship his first full season in a Farioli KTM sponsored by Chesterfield smokes....

DC
MX Sports

Trampas is the man....heck of a rider...still out there getting with it.

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior



10/3/2014 4:06 PM

I remember Lackey winning first, You guys are backwards.

|

10/3/2014 4:18 PM

Laporte won it after Lacky took the title.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

10/3/2014 4:49 PM



Starts at 26 and discusses at the beginning that Lackey clinched before LaPorte.

It'd be great to get this put to bed; seems like it comes up every year
|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

10/3/2014 4:56 PM

"I pity the fool that don't know his moto history!"

Photo

|

10/3/2014 5:07 PM

Photo

Shots taken Monday evening in Hermosa Beach when I delivered the book the nice Estonian gentlemen gave me.



Photo

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

10/3/2014 5:22 PM

LaPorte was the man.
It was like Lackey broke open the door for US riders. Really an unforgettable time in moto history.

|

10/3/2014 5:28 PM

Eric Johnson wrote a magazine feature on 1982 with Lackey and LaPorte and how bad it would have been for Lackey to see LaPorte reach the title first, after being there working on it for ten years. LaPorte himself was relieved for Lackey to get there first. That FIM thing was wrong and we sent them a note explaining but no one responded.

REMEMBER, the 1982 Swedish GP was right before the MXoN and that's why Donnie Hansen was there -- he flew in early to do a race and be ready. He then crashed a few days later at Rolf Deiffenbach's track in West Germany and suffered a terrible concussion. David Bailey had to fly in to be the fourth man on Team USA.

Lackey was already done for two weeks and probably back in Northern California, and he was breaking up with Suzuki and they would not have supported him in the MXoN as it was Honda's show at that time.

DC
MX Sports

|

10/3/2014 5:32 PM

Maybe these will help...Photo

Photo

DC
MX Sports

|

10/3/2014 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2014 5:38 PM

Great guy, what a well-rounded rider. And not scared!

HERE'S a link to a podcast that I did with him a while back.

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

10/3/2014 5:43 PM

DC wrote:

And Trampas Parker rode just a couple of 500 GPs in 1988, then won the 125 World Championship his first full season in a Farioli KTM sponsored by Chesterfield smokes....

DC
MX Sports

Deal Brothers Trailers wrote:

Trampas is the man....heck of a rider...still out there getting with it.

Definitely listen to that Podcast.

Was awesome! Pretty much the whole thing he's like... "BULLSHIT, I CAN WIN on that... and then I did..." (repeat)

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


10/3/2014 5:58 PM

DC wrote:

And Trampas Parker rode just a couple of 500 GPs in 1988, then won the 125 World Championship his first full season in a Farioli KTM sponsored by Chesterfield smokes....

DC
MX Sports

Deal Brothers Trailers wrote:

Trampas is the man....heck of a rider...still out there getting with it.

Crush wrote:

Definitely listen to that Podcast.

Was awesome! Pretty much the whole thing he's like... "BULLSHIT, I CAN WIN on that... and then I did..." (repeat)

Agreed! That one was badass! The laporte podcast was badass too because of the way Danny spoke about getting to travel the world and experience new things

|



10/3/2014 7:15 PM

DC wrote:

Eric Johnson wrote a magazine feature on 1982 with Lackey and LaPorte and how bad it would have been for Lackey to see LaPorte reach the title first, after being there working on it for ten years. LaPorte himself was relieved for Lackey to get there first. That FIM thing was wrong and we sent them a note explaining but no one responded.

REMEMBER, the 1982 Swedish GP was right before the MXoN and that's why Donnie Hansen was there -- he flew in early to do a race and be ready. He then crashed a few days later at Rolf Deiffenbach's track in West Germany and suffered a terrible concussion. David Bailey had to fly in to be the fourth man on Team USA.

Lackey was already done for two weeks and probably back in Northern California, and he was breaking up with Suzuki and they would not have supported him in the MXoN as it was Honda's show at that time.

DC
MX Sports

Night of Lackey's party the good news was Brad's favorite band Procol Harum (Whiter Shade of Pale) was the band but the band news was Brad was sicker than a dog. What a bummer.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

10/4/2014 2:53 AM

Sorry guys. Somebody call Luongo or get the word to the FIM website.

|

10/5/2014 10:53 AM

DC wrote:

Eric Johnson wrote a magazine feature on 1982 with Lackey and LaPorte and how bad it would have been for Lackey to see LaPorte reach the title first, after being there working on it for ten years. LaPorte himself was relieved for Lackey to get there first. That FIM thing was wrong and we sent them a note explaining but no one responded.

REMEMBER, the 1982 Swedish GP was right before the MXoN and that's why Donnie Hansen was there -- he flew in early to do a race and be ready. He then crashed a few days later at Rolf Deiffenbach's track in West Germany and suffered a terrible concussion. David Bailey had to fly in to be the fourth man on Team USA.

Lackey was already done for two weeks and probably back in Northern California, and he was breaking up with Suzuki and they would not have supported him in the MXoN as it was Honda's show at that time.

DC
MX Sports

My bad there.

I do remember that year was the year that the US won the 250 & 500 Champs as well as the Trophee & Motocross Des Nations and Bruce Penhall won the World speedway title.

I think......

|

I've been here 17 years , am I still English, man ???

10/5/2014 11:32 AM

Matthes wrote:

Great guy, what a well-rounded rider. And not scared!

HERE'S a link to a podcast that I did with him a while back.

This is AWESOME! Also recommend watching "The Motocross Files Danny Laporte"

|

bd