1980 500 CCM

Elliot
11/15/2021 7:32am
This was a cool bike in its day but has any other brand used case mounted footpegs or were they unique to CCM?

|
Sidecar
11/18/2021 1:34pm
I don’t think I have seen another bike, they are referred to as CCM cases even when used on another BSA based bike, like a Cheney frame kit...
Bearuno
11/20/2021 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2021 9:56pm
I've seen them on plenty of the old 60s and earlier Big Brit singles and twins.

Usually due to the nature of them being 'builds'. Engine and frame combinations that were not OEM - many Engines and Frames that started life as anything but a Dirt Bike.

And, there'd be Non-Unit and Unit engines - Non-Unit = separate gearbox - Unit = combined engine and gearbox (which the vast majority of people here would only ever have had on a bike).

An example I saw just last week, when I finally got the latest (to Australia) Classic Dirt Bike #60, it had a Matchless build, that had been raced by a variety of racers, including Mick Andrews before he stopped racing it due to long term shoulder problems. It has Footpeg mounts bolted to casings.

I grew up with a Dad and Uncle that raced anything and everything, my Dad getting a new CCM nearly every year from their inception, after racing BSAs before CCM came into existence. So, I rode them, but I was far more interested in my CRs, RMs and YZs. Don't I wish I had the CCMs now...........

The forward foot positioning was downright weird to me, it drove me nuts when I rode them. The RH shift / LH brake were far less of a bother for me, as I never seemed to have a problem with that. . Ironically, with the forward FP mounting, giving you less leg bending, it would be a good thing for me now. ATKs too, were very much a forward mount, compared to other bikes of the same years.

I can't recall if the plates were welded on by Clews and Co - or, if they made the case molds from cases with welded on mounts. You can see either the welds or the 'echoing' of the welds from casting, on many CCM cases.

Post a reply to: 1980 500 CCM

The Latest