1970-80 national tracks

EastFlorida
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2012 2:46am
FTE posted a fantastic 1971 GP video.

How cool would it be for 1 or more 2012 outdoor nationals to be run on a natural terrain track? I think it would be bad ass and would show who can actually ride and deal with a unique course.

No artificial supercross jumps, but test the talent of today's riders on a natural course....

Can you imagine RV, RD, etc. riding on a natural course? This would be huge!
|
wildbill
3/1/2012 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2012 6:24pm
that would be cool but, I bet the same winners in, roughly, the same order would emerge.
EastFlorida
3/1/2012 6:23pm
wildbill wrote:
that would be cool but, I bet the same winners in, roughly, the same order would emerge.
I agree, but they sure wouldn't look as in control on such varied conditions...
wildbill
3/1/2012 6:27pm
and it could swap things up for say Dean Wilson, who's an awesome jumper.

Could leave Baggett with the advantage?
Mstock
3/1/2012 6:54pm
Dream great dreams. We all missed the memo but dust is the devil. Makes for bad tv and is dangerous for the riders according to the promoter of the series. Nearly all amateur motocross is run on hardpack, dusty, rocky tracks. The pro's race on pillows of moist loam. No wonder they look so fast. And with thumpers on top of it. It makes for a good show and that is all that matters in this age of mx. A show.
I would love to see todays top riders on pipey two strokes at a Carlsbad like track, circa 1979. Respect guys like RJ, Wardy, etc....it was much harder back then. Races were longer, bikes were shit, and the tracks were shit. But the racing was great and the riders never complained. Motocross got fucked in the ass by supercross. Man made prepared surfaces became the norm. Now every round of the US Nationals is the same. They run the same rear tire at every fucken round. Imagine that. Why make the teams travel? Hold the entire 11 round series at Red Bud and call it good.

The Shop

nickm
3/1/2012 7:01pm
Mstock wrote:
Dream great dreams. We all missed the memo but dust is the devil. Makes for bad tv and is dangerous for the riders according to the...
Dream great dreams. We all missed the memo but dust is the devil. Makes for bad tv and is dangerous for the riders according to the promoter of the series. Nearly all amateur motocross is run on hardpack, dusty, rocky tracks. The pro's race on pillows of moist loam. No wonder they look so fast. And with thumpers on top of it. It makes for a good show and that is all that matters in this age of mx. A show.
I would love to see todays top riders on pipey two strokes at a Carlsbad like track, circa 1979. Respect guys like RJ, Wardy, etc....it was much harder back then. Races were longer, bikes were shit, and the tracks were shit. But the racing was great and the riders never complained. Motocross got fucked in the ass by supercross. Man made prepared surfaces became the norm. Now every round of the US Nationals is the same. They run the same rear tire at every fucken round. Imagine that. Why make the teams travel? Hold the entire 11 round series at Red Bud and call it good.
Gotta agree with this...sure was something to see Wardy line up on the KX500 with an open face helmet and Jofa-esque mask.

I'd love to see a real outdoor series without supercross jumps and without all the whining about bike setup...mind you Unadilla still has all the essence of a natural road course...can't wait to see Dungey tear it up on the KTM.
Bob454
3/1/2012 7:48pm
Mstock wrote:
Dream great dreams. We all missed the memo but dust is the devil. Makes for bad tv and is dangerous for the riders according to the...
I bet you walk to work in the snow uphill both ways too huh? So you think a dusty track is "dangerous according to the promoters"...open your eyes bro, dust is bad and makes for shitty racing. If you have the means to water the track why wouldnt you?

I don't know where you come off and say amateur tracks are all hard, dusty, and rocky? Please run some rounds here in the northeast...there is some rock hear and there, but it is far from hardpack and dust.

You also talk like the national tracks are flat parking lots with man made features. Open your eyes bros....there are still tons of elevation changes, tracks get pretty rough, and to top it off there are pretty serious jumps.....So if you pulled your head out of your 1970's asses you would realize they are racing on a "natural terrain" track but with even more obstacles added in. How in the world would making the tracks easier by removing some of the obstacles make it more "badass"
EastFlorida
3/1/2012 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2012 7:59pm
If you've ridden a Natural terrain track vs a modern track with man made obstacles, then you know what I'm referring to. Natural stuff always throws riders off their pace and challenges their ability to deal with something out of the norm.

A natural track might give some riders an opportunity to display some talents that might be overlooked on a track with predictable challenges to overcome.
wildbill
3/1/2012 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2012 10:11pm
We all missed the memo but dust is the devil.

Washougal nat before water was invented.
ATKpilot99
3/2/2012 2:46am
Mstock wrote:
Bob454 wrote:
I bet you walk to work in the snow uphill both ways too huh? So you think a dusty track is "dangerous according to the promoters"...open...
I bet you walk to work in the snow uphill both ways too huh? So you think a dusty track is "dangerous according to the promoters"...open your eyes bro, dust is bad and makes for shitty racing. If you have the means to water the track why wouldnt you?

I don't know where you come off and say amateur tracks are all hard, dusty, and rocky? Please run some rounds here in the northeast...there is some rock hear and there, but it is far from hardpack and dust.

You also talk like the national tracks are flat parking lots with man made features. Open your eyes bros....there are still tons of elevation changes, tracks get pretty rough, and to top it off there are pretty serious jumps.....So if you pulled your head out of your 1970's asses you would realize they are racing on a "natural terrain" track but with even more obstacles added in. How in the world would making the tracks easier by removing some of the obstacles make it more "badass"
They could still water the track to keep dust down, but this adding loam and ripping every track deep is what I don't care for. If a track is hardpack leave it that way. Lets go back to some variety like the GPs still have.

Post a reply to: 1970-80 national tracks

The Latest