19 kaw 450 issue, one hour in

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2018 6:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2018 6:20 PM

Just did my first ride. Noticed anti freeze coming out the weep hole on bottom of water pump. Popped the radiator cap off and couldn’t see any antifreeze. Not to pumped. I went through and checked everything before riding and it took a few spins around yard shaking it down before hand. I’m stumped

|

9/19/2018 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2018 6:28 PM

Is there water in your oil? May have lost a shaft seal already....

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

9/19/2018 6:29 PM

Take it back to the dealer.

|

9/19/2018 6:33 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

Is there water in your oil? May have lost a shaft seal already....

Most modern bikes have double shaft seals with the weep hole in between. The likelihood of both seals going bad and the coolant being able to get past them and into the oil is virtually non-existent. You'd see a massive gusher out the weep hole before that happened.

|

Powerband in every gear !

9/19/2018 8:32 PM

Take it to the dealer bro...that's what they are there for.

|

9/20/2018 3:50 AM

bodean123 wrote:

I am. It’s just been eating at me. I had a team race this weekend but that could be out the window now. First time riding in a year. Was looking forward to it

|

9/20/2018 7:25 AM

I would say that the water pump seal blew.
A question for the dealer would be: Did it blow because it was defective, or was there excess pressure in the coolant system?
Sometimes if the seal is weak, it will blow out thru the seal instead of the spring pressure on the radiator cap.
A blown head gasket will cause excessive pressure in the coolant system, so I would ask them to check for that also.

|

9/20/2018 7:42 AM

bodean123 wrote:

wide open wally wrote:

I am. It’s just been eating at me. I had a team race this weekend but that could be out the window now. First time riding in a ...more

RM delivers quickly.. order the seals and fix it if youre in a hurry. Its literally a 1 hour job.

|

9/20/2018 10:28 AM

Yeah, weeping water coolant is just a seal. Fix it in an hour and move on. Kxf motors are pretty bullet proof otherwise.

|

9/20/2018 10:57 AM

Damn that sucks man. Which team race you doing?

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

9/20/2018 11:25 AM

Bad water pump seal/ shaft/ bearing. Dealer should stand behind it.

Paw Paw

|

9/20/2018 12:17 PM

bodean123 wrote:

wide open wally wrote:

I am. It’s just been eating at me. I had a team race this weekend but that could be out the window now. First time riding in a ...more

kb228 wrote:

RM delivers quickly.. order the seals and fix it if youre in a hurry. Its literally a 1 hour job.

Did you miss the part where the new $10,000.00 bike is one hour old? Heck, if it was a KTM, everyone here would be screaming and demanding that KTM replace the entire engine since it overheated and ran dry due to a mfgs. failure. And what if he opens it up and finds a cracked case or cover or a casting or machining flaw. Do you think they would warranty something that had already been taken apart by the owner and not a "authorized dealer" service dept?

|

9/20/2018 1:23 PM

Send that S**t back to the dealer. You didn't drop $10k to have to work on it after one ride

|

9/20/2018 2:33 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

Damn that sucks man. Which team race you doing?

There is one in Nelsonville Ohio, Norm Bickley from dirt wurx owns it. Fun track right along a big creek. When it floods the sand mixes with the clay and it’s epic conditions.

|

9/20/2018 5:17 PM

Man wally id shred that mother fucker like cheddar cheese until she quit! Then just box that fucker up and send it off to pro circuit, a man who can afford a brand new kx450 can surly afford an arm pump machine with the pc name on it!

|

9/20/2018 5:27 PM

wide open wally wrote:

kb228 wrote:

newmann wrote:

Did you miss the part where the new $10,000.00 bike is one hour old? Heck, if it was a KTM, everyone here would be screaming ...more

Did you miss the part where i said take it to a dealer?

|

9/20/2018 5:46 PM

kb228 wrote:

newmann wrote:

Did you miss the part where the new $10,000.00 bike is one hour old? Heck, if it was a KTM, everyone here would be screaming ...more

kb228 wrote:

Did you miss the part where i said take it to a dealer?

Probably.laughing

|

9/20/2018 9:31 PM

Could be the bypass valve

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

9/21/2018 7:31 AM

wide open wally wrote:

Just did my first ride. Noticed anti freeze coming out the weep hole on bottom of water pump. Popped the radiator cap off and ...more

Any news from your dealer man im interested, was thinking about spending the money but my pockets are nervous now....

|

9/21/2018 7:34 AM

bvm111 wrote:

Is that near the flux capacitor?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

9/21/2018 8:00 AM

One hr on that bike, leave it alone . Take it to the dealer.

|

9/21/2018 9:55 AM

bvm111 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Is that near the flux capacitor?

no... the number seven fetzer valve, just prepare it with some 3 in 1 oil and gauzes pads

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

9/23/2018 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 1:27 PM

Just talked to the dealer and Kawi. Just a bad water pump seal, upon further inspection I lost about 5-6oz of fluid, I measured some out and filled up my radiator to see what I lost. It dropped the fluid below the radiator fins just couldn’t seen down in there when I first noticed the problem. I topped it off an let it run as a suggestion from a mechanic. It still leaked but noticeably slower this time. His thought was since they assemble these as dry engines sometimes it takes runtime to get them to seal up, very rare but the dealer offered to do whatever to fix it. I called Kawi and they were awesome they said take to any dealer close to me and they would cover anything.
Bike is sick though, honestly if your thinking of buying one, do it. Power is nuts, handles so well, very balanced bike.

I’m just happy it’s not as big of a issue as origanlly though. And Kawi support was awesome, ready to rip.

|