19 Kx250F or Rmz250?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2020 6:15 PM

A dealer near me has a couple of both of these available; having a hard time deciding. All the reviews say the RMZ has really stiff stock suspension, but I think I'd prefer the Zook, (power delivery, handling, and it looks so damn cool!) Other reviews say the KX has a harsh spot in the stroke of the fork that they could not get rid of... hoping some current owners of either of these bikes can help me out. BTW, I'm a vet class rider, around 150 lbs with gear. Thanks for any help.

|

6/8/2020 6:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2020 6:19 PM

I went with the rmz. The chassis is good once you get the suspension resprung. The valving is fine the spring rates are just off.

|

6/8/2020 7:22 PM

I had a 2019 kx250f. The fork is definitely harsh. I'm sure it could be fixed with a revalve. Other than that I thought it was a great bike. Somewhat of a compact fit but I'm 5'11 175 and it was fine. Good low to mid power. Handled great! I'd happily buy the kx or rm.

|

6/8/2020 8:17 PM

the rmz is sprung/valved on the heavier side.

both have good engines, the rmz's motor is a little short on air so if you add a pipe and open the airbox it breathes better.

kx has a small feel and motor revs well

both are good and will need a little to fine tune to yourself. you cant go wrong with either as bikes are so good today

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

6/8/2020 9:37 PM

mike117 wrote:

A dealer near me has a couple of both of these available; having a hard time deciding. All the reviews say the RMZ has really stiff stock suspension, but I think I'd prefer the Zook, (power delivery, handling, and it looks so damn cool!) Other reviews say the KX has a harsh spot in the stroke of the fork that they could not get rid of... hoping some current owners of either of these bikes can help me out. BTW, I'm a vet class rider, around 150 lbs with gear. Thanks for any help.

Hey I have 20 hours on my 2020 250rmz Loving it !! Just put some 4.2 springs in to soften it a bit as I weigh 150 it was hammering my arms ! Wow what a difference! Handles the rough and settling down in corners much better...only cost 110.00 for springs and 10.00 for 5wt oil🤠 so far No Regrets every thing is working Great starts on 1st or 2nd kick even when hot...

|

6/9/2020 12:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2020 12:04 AM

Get the kxf and thank me later.
Bulletproof bike. Parts are cheap.
The fork sucks, they are unbalanced also. The clamps flex a lot.
If you can put some xtrigs and forks with classical oil+spring system you'll love the bike to death.
Trust me😉

|

rarararaataatatatata

6/9/2020 12:22 AM

Both bikes "needs" a bit of work/money to fix a few things. Like MZ193 said above, the 19 KX250 has a horrible fork that you would want to swap to something else. Maybe a KYB fork from the 2020 if someone is parting out one on eBay. The Suzuki has good suspension hardware, just revalve it for your weight. The engine needs a bit of help but that is about it.

|

6/9/2020 5:13 AM

You guys really think a decent suspension company can't revalve the KX fork to be decent enough for the average rider?

Seems to be quite a few people on 17-19 KX 250F absolutely ripping around D14 tracks here in Michigan with those forks. Im not one of them but I don't think the fork is so bad that you should drop thousands on a new set of forks.

|

6/9/2020 5:32 AM

kx all day

|

6/9/2020 6:02 AM

I’m surprised no one has told him to get a Honda.

|

6/9/2020 6:03 AM

mike117 wrote:

biondo wrote:

Hey I have 20 hours on my 2020 250rmz Loving it !! Just put some 4.2 springs in to soften it a bit as I weigh 150 it was hammering my arms ! Wow what a difference! Handles the rough and settling down in corners much better...only cost 110.00 for springs and 10.00 for 5wt oil🤠 so far No Regrets every thing is working Great starts on 1st or 2nd kick even when hot...

Hoping that is the problem with my 18 rmz450. It’s about 15 pounds overprung for my weight and it hammers my arms lol. Getting the suspension all setup for me this summer. New springs and everything!

|

6/9/2020 7:00 AM

I had the same debate at my local dealer last year. I did purchase the 2019 rmz250. Mostly because I had not tried a Suzuki before and wanted something different. Suspension tuning was my biggest hurdle. Racerx and Motocross Action have good articles on their recommended setup for riding on the stock spring rates. 105mm of sag was super important too. As far as engine goes, its very linear power. Not exciting in the least I was say. That being said, its very usable power. I came off a kawasaki and those did have a feel of more power and it always felt like you could make a mistake in the corner, open the throttle, and still clear the next jump. In stock form I would not say the suzuki feels like that. I have more often now found myself choking up on jump faces when I didn't hit the corner before just right. The mapping couplers help to an extent but I guess I felt none of them really were perfect.

|

6/9/2020 7:57 AM

Of those 2, I would get the KX and then leave some money aside to get the suspension dialed. I think at that point it would be a very good bike and is easier to get it where you want it, than the Suzuki. But honestly, those would be my last 2 choices, of the bunch. If there is a way that you could go for any of the other 4 brands, I'd probably just do that (especially the Yamaha.)

|

6/9/2020 8:20 AM

rmz and some springs

|

Violence You Can Believe In

6/9/2020 8:41 AM

My riding buddy is on a 19’ RMZ. Around the 150lb mark. He resprung it for his weight and is loving it. He did agree with all the reviews of it being way too stiff from the factory. He rides 40+

|

6/9/2020 8:54 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has commented something along the lines of, "Suzuki is going out of business and their bike is so bad it will give you cancer." grin grin grin

Truly, either one will be a great machine. Pick a color and make a few mods.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/9/2020 9:04 AM

I would go yellow to be different. Most people redo suspension to their liking anyway. With that said, the rmz can be made great. The engine is quite reserved stock. Pipe, twin air power flow kit, remap stock ecu and you have a great engine. It isn’t going to be on the same level as say the Yamaha, however it will be close.

|

6/9/2020 9:56 AM

The kxf is a fantastic bike, re-valve the forks and its fine. You don't need kit suspension.

|

I no longer regret my username.

6/9/2020 3:11 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm looking for something novice-friendly (vet intermediate on my good days), and the the KX and Rmz seem to fit the bill best. Not to mention the reduced price I've seen on some. I wrote off the Yamaha, which I know is an awesome bike, because of the wide feeling (I'm on the smaller side, I want a bike with a compact feel, and a lot of folks say that's the KX). Love Hondas, but I'm probably the only guy that didn't like all the changes they made on the 18 250 (turned into more of pro-level bike, from what I've read, like the KTM and the Husky, producing peak HP at high revs). I think it's going come down to actually going to the dealer and sitting on them, hopefully a test spin if the dealer has an area nearby where I can do that. Thanks again!

|

6/9/2020 3:27 PM

I THINK THAT SUSZUKI MAKES THE FASTIST BIKE THATS IN THE LITES

|

suszuki rm85

6/9/2020 11:20 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

I had the same debate at my local dealer last year. I did purchase the 2019 rmz250. Mostly because I had not tried a Suzuki before and wanted something different. Suspension tuning was my biggest hurdle. Racerx and Motocross Action have good articles on their recommended setup for riding on the stock spring rates. 105mm of sag was super important too. As far as engine goes, its very linear power. Not exciting in the least I was say. That being said, its very usable power. I came off a kawasaki and those did have a feel of more power and it always felt like you could make a mistake in the corner, open the throttle, and still clear the next jump. In stock form I would not say the suzuki feels like that. I have more often now found myself choking up on jump faces when I didn't hit the corner before just right. The mapping couplers help to an extent but I guess I felt none of them really were perfect.

Open up the airbox. Its design kinda chokes the motor. Keefertesting is working a project rmz and started here and helped liven up

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

6/9/2020 11:25 PM

mike117 wrote:

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm looking for something novice-friendly (vet intermediate on my good days), and the the KX and Rmz seem to fit the bill best. Not to mention the reduced price I've seen on some. I wrote off the Yamaha, which I know is an awesome bike, because of the wide feeling (I'm on the smaller side, I want a bike with a compact feel, and a lot of folks say that's the KX). Love Hondas, but I'm probably the only guy that didn't like all the changes they made on the 18 250 (turned into more of pro-level bike, from what I've read, like the KTM and the Husky, producing peak HP at high revs). I think it's going come down to actually going to the dealer and sitting on them, hopefully a test spin if the dealer has an area nearby where I can do that. Thanks again!

The opinion of the Yamaha feeling big and wide doesn’t really apply to the latest model. In fact, it’s one of the more compact brands now. Taller riders don’t like it as much as the previous generation because it feels a little cramped.

|

6/9/2020 11:32 PM

mike117 wrote:

I'm on the smaller side as well and rode a 19 Yzf250 on Sunday and it was fantastic, the power is amazing and I didn't notice the wider feel at all.

I've rode the older generation, a 16 and an 18 and they are noticeably wider but I can't say I really felt it on the 19. I ride a 18 kxf250 as well so that's what I was comparing it to.

If that bike is an option I'd certainly look into it.

|

I no longer regret my username.

6/10/2020 6:31 AM

I have an '18 RMZ-450 and like you stated "prefer the Zook, (power delivery, handling, and it looks so damn cool!)".

2 years later, still love the bike. I get a kick sometimes from guys telling me the problems with my bike (that they haven't ridden) and then I pass them on the track. Problem solved! smile

Get the Suzuki, some springs for your weight and enjoy!

|

6/10/2020 7:22 AM

At your weight you will need the suspension revalved and springs on both bikes.

How much are they asking for each?

The Suzuki with set up suspension, Works Chassis engine mounts and a Yoshimura full exhaust would be a great package

The Kawi with set up suspension, lower bars(IMO) and PC exhaust would be a great bike.

In stock form so could get along with the Kawi better if I had to choose 1. But either bike at a good deal, you will be stoked. Just get the suspension set up for you. I’m 165lb and both bikes were too stiff for me.

|

6/10/2020 10:03 AM

So you can pick between a new 2019 Kawi or a new 2012 Suzuki?

|

6/10/2020 10:34 AM

Neither. Go buy a 2019 YZ 250F

|

6/10/2020 12:07 PM

mxracerjohn250 wrote:

Neither. Go buy a 2019 YZ 250F

It's a hell of a lot more expensive where I am. $3000 pays for a long not track entries and tyres.

|

6/10/2020 12:47 PM

Pick the color you prefer. These bikes are so close that, unless you’re pro, it’s not really going to matter. You’ll have a blast on either one, and you can modify the quirks with seat time as necessary.

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

6/10/2020 2:52 PM

mike117 wrote:

WhatsStoppingU wrote:

The opinion of the Yamaha feeling big and wide doesn’t really apply to the latest model. In fact, it’s one of the more compact brands now. Taller riders don’t like it as much as the previous generation because it feels a little cramped.

That's good to know, I'm glad they slimmed it down (I'd be surprised if I could find a leftover 19, though). Definitely would love a YZ if I could find one at the right price.

|