‘19 Kawi 450 air filter

scooter5002
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2018 11:38am
Is this thing as big as a pain in the ass as it looks? Friend of mine picked his up today, in his shop where I’m mooching space. DaFUQ, this is what they came up with? Looked at it for 5 seconds, and thought they could’ve moved the battery further back, to create more room. Surely “mass centralization” isn’t going to be affected that badly. Twin Air is probably working hard on this one.

|
50dippin
8/8/2018 10:53pm
twin air filters are already available, can confirm it is a pain in the ass to work on. They even made the two bolts to get to it different sizes.
kb228
8/9/2018 3:25am
Kawi clearly used small japanese hands as a reference. Maybe we should ship some 2XL sized gloves over to japan.
fourfourone
8/9/2018 4:36am
I used to always worry about the filter sealing on bikes with the filter in the rear ( I ride a yz now)

The Shop

Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/9/2018 5:27am
I love the bike, but agree the airfilter design is really bad. Kawi dropped the ball on that one for sure.

The OEM filters are usually way oversized, so hopefully the smaller aftermarket ones are easier to work with.

I removed the seat, number plate, and the shroud/ tank bolt to get more access. I was afraid to bend the shroud too much with that bolt in because I broke my 16 on that way swapping a shock once lol.
Markopolo400
8/9/2018 7:16am
Yep I take my seat off too to pull the shroud back.

After owning a KTM, the KX450 filter sucks to get out.
Panic_Rev
8/9/2018 7:55am
50dippin wrote:
twin air filters are already available, can confirm it is a pain in the ass to work on. They even made the two bolts to get...
twin air filters are already available, can confirm it is a pain in the ass to work on. They even made the two bolts to get to it different sizes.
if the odd bolt is smaller could you tap it to match the other 2?
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/9/2018 8:04am
50dippin wrote:
twin air filters are already available, can confirm it is a pain in the ass to work on. They even made the two bolts to get...
Panic_Rev wrote:
if the odd bolt is smaller could you tap it to match the other 2?
Eh not really. Seats bolts are M8x1.25, the side panel lower and tank are M6x1.00. you might be able to find a specialty M6 with a M10 head. I think GM uses some on their vehicles
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
8/9/2018 8:16am
I'll show my age here.. but you haven't seen over complicated until you've cleaned 1981-83 RM filters.
yz763
8/9/2018 10:31am
I was just doing the filter on my 19 and can confirm....it is a pain in the ass. very poor design. Other than that, the bike rips!
jeffro503
8/9/2018 10:45am
Boy that does look a little tight in there. Can you guys remove the filter from the top , or is it side removal only?
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
8/9/2018 11:52am
The air filter is going to be replaced/cleaned everytime you ride right? Looks FUN and not frustrating at all! Have fun with your new ugly bikes. Im a yamadog 4 lyfe.
Greenguy
8/9/2018 1:02pm
I’m used to it now. Really not that bad. And using an 8 and 10 tee handle to me is no big deal.
Motofinne
8/9/2018 1:06pm
I find it absolutely amazing that the other manufacturers haven't copied KTM/Husqvarna. Well Yamaha has a good design too, but the design on the KTMs/Husqvarnas are bulletproof(impossible to get sand through the filter) and incredibly easy/quick to change the filter.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
8/9/2018 5:14pm
just did my ktm filter tonight.it is pretty slick.maybe its like the old honda brake line. when the patents up everyone will jump to it.

I have yet to hear a bad review on a kx450 yet. they nailed it.
RJMX834
8/9/2018 7:00pm
I used to always worry about the filter sealing on bikes with the filter in the rear ( I ride a yz now)
Funny you say that. Ive rode kawis for years. Recently purchased a yamaha (will be switching back). Anywho, i actually always worry the Yamaha filter doesnt seal as well. I feel like there is less pressure around the edges of the filter cage holding the filter down. Never had those worries on KX's. I always run my hand around the edge of the filter to make sure its seated.
fourfourone
8/10/2018 4:40am
Motofinne wrote:
I find it absolutely amazing that the other manufacturers haven't copied KTM/Husqvarna. Well Yamaha has a good design too, but the design on the KTMs/Husqvarnas are...
I find it absolutely amazing that the other manufacturers haven't copied KTM/Husqvarna. Well Yamaha has a good design too, but the design on the KTMs/Husqvarnas are bulletproof(impossible to get sand through the filter) and incredibly easy/quick to change the filter.
The airbox on my 16 250sx was terrible.
fourfourone
8/10/2018 4:42am
RJMX834 wrote:
Funny you say that. Ive rode kawis for years. Recently purchased a yamaha (will be switching back). Anywho, i actually always worry the Yamaha filter doesnt...
Funny you say that. Ive rode kawis for years. Recently purchased a yamaha (will be switching back). Anywho, i actually always worry the Yamaha filter doesnt seal as well. I feel like there is less pressure around the edges of the filter cage holding the filter down. Never had those worries on KX's. I always run my hand around the edge of the filter to make sure its seated.
on my 15 kx250f I always got nervous because you had to place the filter in and the kind of turn in to get it to seat right. I never had an issue with dirt getting in. On my yz I always put the filter on and the lift up the front a few inches and look back and make sure the back of the filter is seated and then I know im good to go.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/10/2018 5:06am
Pro Seal makes a great product for all types of air boxes. Goes on every bike I own.
Motofinne
8/10/2018 6:08am
Motofinne wrote:
I find it absolutely amazing that the other manufacturers haven't copied KTM/Husqvarna. Well Yamaha has a good design too, but the design on the KTMs/Husqvarnas are...
Your bike is the last bike with the old design. The new design on the 2016 -> (except the 250 SX) bikes is brilliant!
fourfourone
8/10/2018 6:09am
Motofinne wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Your bike is the last bike with the old design. The new design on the 2016 -> (except the 250 SX) bikes is brilliant!
yup and that's what caused it to blow up with only 20 hours on it haha. fuck that bike
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/10/2018 6:25am
RJMX834 wrote:
Funny you say that. Ive rode kawis for years. Recently purchased a yamaha (will be switching back). Anywho, i actually always worry the Yamaha filter doesnt...
My buddy has an 18 YZ450F and that air box causes him all sorts of problems. The intakes in the front of the bike get filled full of roost and packs the air box and filter. If he doesn't do filters between motos the bike starts stalling and bogging. Seems like it's great for power when clean, but the filter gets loaded with dirt so quickly.

IDK what the pro guys do to get a 30+2 out of them, maybe an extra filter screen or something.
Dtat720
8/10/2018 6:30am
RJMX834 wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
My buddy has an 18 YZ450F and that air box causes him all sorts of problems. The intakes in the front of the bike get filled...
My buddy has an 18 YZ450F and that air box causes him all sorts of problems. The intakes in the front of the bike get filled full of roost and packs the air box and filter. If he doesn't do filters between motos the bike starts stalling and bogging. Seems like it's great for power when clean, but the filter gets loaded with dirt so quickly.

IDK what the pro guys do to get a 30+2 out of them, maybe an extra filter screen or something.
Sounds like your buddy doesnt have the stock foam pieces that block roost from entering the intake tracts. Never had an issue with my 16 250f. Ride mostly sand, very little sand in the filter area any time i changed and cleaned filters.
BobPA
8/10/2018 6:59am
Motofinne wrote:
yup and that's what caused it to blow up with only 20 hours on it haha. fuck that bike
Actually, user error caused your bike to blow up. It doesn’t take rocket appliances to get the filter to seal.
fourfourone
8/10/2018 7:07am
RJMX834 wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
My buddy has an 18 YZ450F and that air box causes him all sorts of problems. The intakes in the front of the bike get filled...

Dtat720 wrote:
Sounds like your buddy doesnt have the stock foam pieces that block roost from entering the intake tracts. Never had an issue with my 16 250f...
Sounds like your buddy doesnt have the stock foam pieces that block roost from entering the intake tracts. Never had an issue with my 16 250f. Ride mostly sand, very little sand in the filter area any time i changed and cleaned filters.
I run pre filters in the front of the shroud. Takes a few rides now before the filter gets dirty. But I change it more frequently then that anyway
fourfourone
8/10/2018 7:08am
Motofinne wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Actually, user error caused your bike to blow up. It doesn’t take rocket appliances to get the filter to seal.
did you ever have a ktm with that filter cage design. it was terrible, hence why they changed it.
fourfourone
8/10/2018 7:10am
Motofinne wrote:
BobPA wrote:
what is a rocket appliance?
MXD
8/10/2018 7:15am
BobPA wrote:
what is a rocket appliance?
You know, like Brian surgery.

Post a reply to: ‘19 Kawi 450 air filter

The Latest