19’ Husqvarna 450 trans issue

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2019 4:48 PM

I have a 2019 Husky FS450 (supermoto version of the FC450) w/ 10.3 hrs. Today when riding, I came down off a jump, pulled the clutch and tried down shifting into 1st gear. Instead of going into first the bike got stuck in nuetral and won’t budge. The shifter moves freely and the engine starts but it won’t go up or down out of nuetral.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is this a common issue? If not, what are the chances Husqvarna will repair it under warranty?

|

5/4/2019 5:08 PM

I'm not real familiar with the 19's but i would guess that your shift drum has come loose or the detent mechanism is not contacting the shift drum for some reason.

|

5/4/2019 5:35 PM

Pull the clutch side cover and look at the shift mechanicals. The problem should be there. More than likely a spring has come off.

Paw Paw

|

5/4/2019 5:39 PM

Do a search for similar problems on here. Bolts come loose in the selector mechanism. You have to pull the clutch to access them. Loctite is breaking the budget on an $11,000 USD bike when made.

|

5/4/2019 6:07 PM

Dont touch it. With 10.3 hours, just take it to the dealer

|

5/4/2019 6:10 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Dont touch it. With 10.3 hours, just take it to the dealer

I agree with my man Bruce

|

5/11/2019 3:15 PM

Well I finally got it apart. The cases are definitely gonna have to be split as the transmission is still locked up but the shifting assembly had no issues.
The dealer is going to try to have Husqvarna do a “good faith” warranty on it once it’s apart

|

5/12/2019 7:45 AM

Take it to the dealer like mentioned. They will fix it

|

5/12/2019 10:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2019 10:37 PM

Fingers crossed Husqvarna warranties the motor

|

5/12/2019 10:34 PM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

5/13/2019 3:44 PM

Yikes now what?
Anything else damaged

|

5/13/2019 4:14 PM

That's normal on the drain plug, but you must get the broken shift detent piece out of the engine. It is hard metal and could do some damage. It looks like you landed with your foot on the shifter and broke the star.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

5/13/2019 5:34 PM

The bike is still stuck in nuetral. I imagine the broken piece is stuck between the gears somewhere.
At this point I have to have the dealer split the cases, find the problem and then send pictures to Husqvarna. It will be up to Husqvarna whether they cover it or not. If they deny it I’m stuck with the repair bill.

|

5/13/2019 5:46 PM

mx317 wrote:

That's normal on the drain plug, but you must get the broken shift detent piece out of the engine. It is hard metal and could do some damage. It looks like you landed with your foot on the shifter and broke the star.

I know it’s definitely not from landing on the shifter, I’m always on the balls of my feet. It could possibly be from banging down gears coming into corners but that shouldn’t break anything. If these bikes are that weak I should’ve picked a different brand.
I’m thinking it was a defective part

|

5/13/2019 6:09 PM

mx317 wrote:

motardchris wrote:

I know it’s definitely not from landing on the shifter, I’m always on the balls of my feet. It could possibly be from banging down gears coming into corners but that shouldn’t break anything. If these bikes are that weak I should’ve picked a different brand.

No, you wouldn't break it downshifting, it was probably just a bad part. The good part is unless it got into the gears, it is probably just retrieving the broken piece. Can you turn the shift cam by hand and get it to change gears?

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

5/13/2019 6:53 PM

mx317 wrote:

motardchris wrote:

mx317 wrote:

No, you wouldn't break it downshifting, it was probably just a bad part. The good part is unless it got into the gears, it is probably just retrieving the broken piece. Can you turn the shift cam by hand and get it to change gears?

Nope it’s locked up. The bike won’t budge from nuetral it’s gotta have the cases split to investigate.

|

4/8/2020 8:17 PM

Did husky end up covering this? My 19.5 ktm just did the same thing with 36 hrs on it. Dont wanna take it to the stealership if ktm wont cover it.

|

4/9/2020 4:36 AM

Why people still buy these bikes is beyond me.

|

4/9/2020 4:40 AM

cody41 wrote:

Because they are bloody good engineered and fast. Stuff like this happens, it sucks but it's not brand specific.

|

4/9/2020 5:01 AM

cody41 wrote:

No Japanese bike has ever had a problem before ever.

|

4/9/2020 8:38 AM

Marshall_Payton wrote:

Did husky end up covering this? My 19.5 ktm just did the same thing with 36 hrs on it. Dont wanna take it to the stealership if ktm wont cover it.

Stealership, ;love these guys

|

4/9/2020 3:55 PM

Marshall_Payton wrote:

STLSharky wrote:

Stealership, ;love these guys

Yes! If it's on my dime I'm takingit to my engine building guy. Not to a dealers that's higher priced and might have some kid 3 months outta school working on it. Do you take your suspension to the dealer for a revalve or to the pro suspension shops???

|