18' YZ450 vs 19' Debate

Superdave19
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 8:54am
I know about the new tweaks on the 19', but am thinking about purchasing an 18'.

I'd probably end up doing a revalve on one anyway, so the new valving on the 19' isn't a big selling point. Regarding the seat, no big deal either, but get the gutz foam.

The fork lugs are not something I'd want to mess with, but what about the wheel spacers? Interchangable?

If you could save $4k and buy a low hr 18', might be worth it me thinks-

Feedback?
|
11/12/2018 9:52am
Do it. The 18 is a winner. The spacers are compatible according to Keefer. I actually plan on ordering a pair this winter.
pummel
Fantasy
432nd
11/12/2018 10:07am
I've ridden both back to back. I'm not a great test rider. I could feel a little bit of difference between the two but wasn't huge. The 18 is a great bike- 19 not that much difference especially for the price savings.
hgrove99
11/12/2018 10:19am
Sheriff245 wrote:
Do it. The 18 is a winner. The spacers are compatible according to Keefer. I actually plan on ordering a pair this winter.
Where did Keefer say the spacers are compatible?

The Shop

Motofinne
11/12/2018 10:22am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 10:41am
Get the 18 and buy 19 wheel spacers = almost a 19.

Edit: I almost forgot. Get a Guts firm seat foam since the 18 stock foam is really soft and feels like a couch after a few hours.
Freedom Mx
11/12/2018 10:33am
Just picked up an 18’ a few weeks back . Swapped spacer, ordered new seat foam and cover this morning from Guts. EBR revalve. Got the bike for $7,600 OTD VS $9,600 for a 19’Absolutely Love it !!
11/12/2018 10:36am
hgrove99 wrote:
I was pretty sure he wrote somewhere that they would fit, and that the front ones made more difference on the 18 than the rears. I can't find it.
Freedom Mx
11/12/2018 10:39am
I know about the new tweaks on the 19', but am thinking about purchasing an 18'. I'd probably end up doing a revalve on one anyway...
I know about the new tweaks on the 19', but am thinking about purchasing an 18'.

I'd probably end up doing a revalve on one anyway, so the new valving on the 19' isn't a big selling point. Regarding the seat, no big deal either, but get the gutz foam.

The fork lugs are not something I'd want to mess with, but what about the wheel spacers? Interchangable?

Feedback?
You should have asked me yesterday, can ride mine anytime. You were rippin as always.Come out next week and take her for a spin, weather is supposed to be great, track will be PRIME.
mx317
11/12/2018 11:04am
I think there were some starter issues with the 18 that have been supposedly resolved for 19 also.
MxKyle (MD)
11/12/2018 12:53pm
I have had a 2018 since last October. It’s a great bike but I never could dial out that slight push dropping into turns in soft or sandy conditions. It just wanted to wander if it didn’t have a good berm and kind of hunted around when exiting under power. Never felt that on hard pack but it was always there riding the bike in loose dirt (too bad for me I live in Florida). I fully understood and agreed why it didn’t do so well in the bike tests. When the 2019 came out and immediately started winning shootouts I really wanted to upgrade but the way I saw it the only real change is the fork valving. Tell me all day long how great the new wheel spacers are but I challenge you to tell me how you decoupled that feeling from the change in the forks? Anyway, when they came available I bought the 2019 fork cartridges for my bike.

That change gave me an entirely new motorcycle! I am still amazed at the immediate improvement in making sandy turns and carving my own lines. Finally it’s point and shoot with that great motor to back me up. Now my 2018 would win any shootout and I am smiling ear to ear.

So it’s a 2019 or a 2018 +$320 for the cartridges or who knows how much for a complete revalve.

TeamGreen
11/12/2018 3:58pm
I know about the new tweaks on the 19', but am thinking about purchasing an 18'. I'd probably end up doing a revalve on one anyway...

Feedback?
You’re in the right path: save money and dial it in to your liking.

Go get yer bike, Bro!
Kris Keefer
11/12/2018 4:54pm
I tell the guys who email me that if they can save a grand or so, the 2018 is just fine. 2019 wheel spacers will fit on the 2018 and you can get a firm seat foam from GUTS and be happy.
Lynch
11/12/2018 9:50pm
I have had a 2018 since last October. It’s a great bike but I never could dial out that slight push dropping into turns in soft...
I have had a 2018 since last October. It’s a great bike but I never could dial out that slight push dropping into turns in soft or sandy conditions. It just wanted to wander if it didn’t have a good berm and kind of hunted around when exiting under power. Never felt that on hard pack but it was always there riding the bike in loose dirt (too bad for me I live in Florida). I fully understood and agreed why it didn’t do so well in the bike tests. When the 2019 came out and immediately started winning shootouts I really wanted to upgrade but the way I saw it the only real change is the fork valving. Tell me all day long how great the new wheel spacers are but I challenge you to tell me how you decoupled that feeling from the change in the forks? Anyway, when they came available I bought the 2019 fork cartridges for my bike.

That change gave me an entirely new motorcycle! I am still amazed at the immediate improvement in making sandy turns and carving my own lines. Finally it’s point and shoot with that great motor to back me up. Now my 2018 would win any shootout and I am smiling ear to ear.

So it’s a 2019 or a 2018 +$320 for the cartridges or who knows how much for a complete revalve.

I am pretty sure you could have just gotten a suspension guy do the updated parts instead of buying new cartridges?
mxer613
11/12/2018 9:54pm
mx317 wrote:
I think there were some starter issues with the 18 that have been supposedly resolved for 19 also.
True, my 19 starts a lot quicker than my 18 did. 18 seemed to crank over more and after it was warm it took a couple tries to fire up, my 19 starts instantly hot or cold. Suspension does feel a bit stiffer, but better.
MxKyle (MD)
11/13/2018 4:24am
Lynch wrote:
I am pretty sure you could have just gotten a suspension guy do the updated parts instead of buying new cartridges?
I completely agree with that but while the local guy eventually gets there he seems more of a tinkerer and has to have the forks apart a few times to arrive at a better valving. That's after driving an hour each way to get to the track hes at over several weeks. I ran out of patience last time and that's why I wanted to go tried and true with the 2019 valving.

I toyed with sending sent the forks off to Factory Connection early on and I honestly wish I had of.

Lynch
11/13/2018 4:34am
I completely agree with that but while the local guy eventually gets there he seems more of a tinkerer and has to have the forks apart...
I completely agree with that but while the local guy eventually gets there he seems more of a tinkerer and has to have the forks apart a few times to arrive at a better valving. That's after driving an hour each way to get to the track hes at over several weeks. I ran out of patience last time and that's why I wanted to go tried and true with the 2019 valving.

I toyed with sending sent the forks off to Factory Connection early on and I honestly wish I had of.

Understood, I will update mine this winter if I don't buy a new bike. Winter in Sweden = No bueno for mx
erik_94COBRA
11/13/2018 4:40am

Feedback?
Giving up on the Husky?
wm741
11/13/2018 5:18am
hgrove99 wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
I was pretty sure he wrote somewhere that they would fit, and that the front ones made more difference on the 18 than the rears. I...
I was pretty sure he wrote somewhere that they would fit, and that the front ones made more difference on the 18 than the rears. I can't find it.
I talked to him directly about this and he confirmed. I put on the front and rears.
Freedom Mx
11/13/2018 7:20am
hgrove99 wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
I was pretty sure he wrote somewhere that they would fit, and that the front ones made more difference on the 18 than the rears. I...
wm741 wrote:
I talked to him directly about this and he confirmed. I put on the front and rears.
Yes the spacers swap for sure, Dave I have 2 sets if you get your bike, also ordered the Guts firm foam and seat cover with the side foam inserts sewn in. Keefer was dead on about the seat, my ass was so sore after first ride, thought it may be from just.not riding in a while, rode Sunday and again sore ass ! Found the Keefer test he did with Guts and called yesterday and ordered. Also you have to order seat cover with inserts by phone, not on website yet. Super cool guys with great customer service.
Will post pics soon as they come in.
dh893
11/13/2018 7:27am
I would also concur that you should go get the 18. I bought one this spring and have never ridden a better 450 in my life. I plan to get the spacers over the winter and maybe the FCP titanium engine mounts (medium version) that Keefer has a write up on. Bike already corners phenomenally in my opinion, but for the price of these mods, I figure I may as well try to get a little more front end bite. Also, it looks like you only actually need the rotor side spacer for the front as the other side has the same part number as 18.
sixeightynine
11/13/2018 7:42am
I’ve been running Acerbis X-brake disc cover since day one. The mount has spacer integrated, and also appears to have more material than stock unit. Extremely happy with my 2018 and no complains on cornering vagueness.

dmm698
11/13/2018 7:58am
IMO, get the 19. The 18 has starter clutch issues. It will go bad, couple hundred bucks to fix. 19 has the updated part. Quite a few 18's seem to have gone down for various issues. THeres a few documented ones on this site, one of which is in my garage.
Superdave19
11/13/2018 8:16am
Giving up on the Husky?
Haven't decided if I'll sell the TC or not- It's been one of the best, most fun bikes I've ever owned. Completely trouble free. Might just add a bike to the fleet.
Superdave19
11/13/2018 8:18am
Freedom Mx wrote:
Yes the spacers swap for sure, Dave I have 2 sets if you get your bike, also ordered the Guts firm foam and seat cover with...
Yes the spacers swap for sure, Dave I have 2 sets if you get your bike, also ordered the Guts firm foam and seat cover with the side foam inserts sewn in. Keefer was dead on about the seat, my ass was so sore after first ride, thought it may be from just.not riding in a while, rode Sunday and again sore ass ! Found the Keefer test he did with Guts and called yesterday and ordered. Also you have to order seat cover with inserts by phone, not on website yet. Super cool guys with great customer service.
Will post pics soon as they come in.
Thanks bro- looking forward for a little change, and hopefully some good riding weather soon!

Appreciate everyone's feedback-
erik_94COBRA
11/13/2018 8:28am
Giving up on the Husky?
Haven't decided if I'll sell the TC or not- It's been one of the best, most fun bikes I've ever owned. Completely trouble free. Might just...
Haven't decided if I'll sell the TC or not- It's been one of the best, most fun bikes I've ever owned. Completely trouble free. Might just add a bike to the fleet.
Mine has been great as well.

You should buy my '18 Honda CRF450. Enzo revalved suspension, remapped, 23 hours. Just like my 2-strokes better.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
11/13/2018 9:24am
Rode the 18 a couple weeks ago and bought a 19 on Saturday. I'm happy with the stock valving on the 19 while the 18 was too soft up front. The 19 is also more precise and with the starter update I'd say it's a good buy. It will also be a year newer when you go to sell it. That being said the 18 is sick and for a 4K difference it's no question, for a grand I'd go with the 19 though.
Hotwhls
11/13/2018 9:49am
I have had a 2018 since last October. It’s a great bike but I never could dial out that slight push dropping into turns in soft...

Do you have the part numbers of the 2019 fork valve assembly and the collars you ordered. I just want to make sure I am buying the correct things from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks
MxKyle (MD)
11/13/2018 1:11pm
Hotwhls wrote:
Do you have the part numbers of the 2019 fork valve assembly and the collars you ordered. I just want to make sure I am buying...
Do you have the part numbers of the 2019 fork valve assembly and the collars you ordered. I just want to make sure I am buying the correct things from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks
The 2019 cartridges are 2S2-2316A-20-00 VALVE COMP
the collar is BR9-25183-00-00 COLLAR, WHEEL

FYI - The cartridge is not a direct drop in. They added an additional o-ring groove to the 2019 cap and it keeps the cartridge from going in deep enough in the 2018 assembly. You have to move the valve/shim assembly and the piston from the 2019 cap over to the 2018 cap. Takes about a minute tops. You don't have to touch the shims they are part of the valve group and that all comes off with a 14mm wrench.

BAD10
11/13/2018 2:27pm

Not Quite a 19 if you didn't change the fork lugs too. With that said my new 19 handles a lot better than my 14 model. Woohoo The 19 was almost unridable for me in stock form, though. So soft it felt like a marshmallow! Immediately sent it off to Enzo for a revalve and .53kg fork springs and 6.3 in the rear. Now it feels like a completely different bike. But I'm almost 230lbs. On another note, I keep hanging up the top of my booy on the left side panel. Anyone else experience this?

Post a reply to: 18' YZ450 vs 19' Debate

The Latest