'18 Husky FC350 - Keep or Trade Up to '21 KTM 350 SX-F

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2022 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2022 5:32 PM

Hi All,

Interested to collect some thoughts from fellow members. On the fence about whether or not to keep my current 2018 FC350 with 55 hours and invest money into suspension, some cosmetic upgrades and some other items or trade up to a '21 350 SX-F instead. I am a 6'4 rider so not really interested in the newer Husqvarna's now that they have lowered the suspension. Lowered suspension combined with lowered pegs would likely not be the wisest choice.

Interested to hear what other think. Is there enough of an improvement with the newer bikes, specifically with the '21+ suspension to warrant trying it before considering investing into spring forks?

My biggest concern is putting too much money into an already 6 year old bike that I will obviously never get back out of it. Or if I am better off instead investing that money into a newer bike and plan to try and keep it for a few years. I am not so concerned on the *year* of the bike, but the '18 is the older body style and is beginning to look a bit dated. The downside though is the extra 2-3k the '21 is worth over the value of the '18. in my local market.

Thoughts?

|

6/23/2022 5:28 PM

How much time is on the 18?

My first thought is if the 18s low hours and fresh is to just dial it in.

Find a deal on barely used ohlins or cone valves and ENJOY.

But if your 18s well used and getting worn, the 21 could make more sense.

|

6/23/2022 5:30 PM

Currently on a lower Husky with lowered pegs. Not a problem. But my 2 cents is go 21

|

6/23/2022 5:32 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Find a deal on barely ...more

55 hours

|

6/23/2022 5:34 PM

yz133rider wrote:

121x wrote:

55 hours

That’s not too crazy. If you’re gentle on bikes and comfortable racking them up, I’d vote get a set of good spring forks.

I bought wp conevalves - out of the box spring for my weight standard wp settings, all I did was back the compression off and rebound to match and I really like them.

|

6/23/2022 5:37 PM

yz133rider wrote:

121x wrote:

55 hours

yz133rider wrote:

That’s not too crazy. If you’re gentle on bikes and comfortable racking them up, I’d vote get a set of good spring forks.

I ...more

Makes perfect sense. Unfortunately in my area used aftermarket suspension for sale is fairly rare. So although that would definitely be a viable approach if used forks were more accessible, in my case I have to factor in brand new aftermarket. Or work with the stock stuff obviously.

|

6/23/2022 9:45 PM

The biggest difference is the forks.
The 17-20 forks simply aren't going to work as well without complete inserts, while the 21+ stuff can be made to work really well. Beyond that the engines are really close, and the stiffer 19+ chassis seems to be different, but not necessarily better than the 16-18 one for the average rider.

I went through the same thing, ended up putting MX-Tech Blackjack cartridges into my 17 FC350 instead of getting a new bike. Probably rack up enough hours to pick up a 23 or 24 in the future, but I'm simply not at a deficit when lining up next to anything at the moment.

As for appearance, the 19 and newer Huskys are the ugliest bikes on the market. Our generation is much better looking, not that I notice the aesthetics when riding anyway.

|

6/24/2022 12:26 AM

I did the same switch that you are contemplating, 18 fc350 to 22 350sxf. If you’re happy with your 18 fc, I’d say hang on to it. Maybe better to switch to the new generation in a few years time?

The 18 generation has a softer frame (better), and better low rpm power and response, once you drill the airbox.
The 22 is narrower through the shrouds and looks more modern. The stiffer frame is a negative, in my opinion. I notice more vibration on the 22 than I ever did on the 18, which I believe is related to the below point.

The stuff you can’t see is quality control. My 22 is just not as well put together as the 18. The forks did not feel “right” from the factory. Sounds like this some valving stacks have left the factory not in spec. I haven’t pulled mine apart to check, just went and replaced with 6500 spring inserts. Metallurgy in the engine has gone backwards too. My cases were stained like I haven’t seen since a 90’s KX from one ride in some moderately sticky clay/dirt.

|

6/24/2022 12:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2022 12:52 AM

Worth remembering, I'm sure you already are, that any suspension upgrades or just most upgrades in general that you make to your 18 can be fitted to a newer 19-22 model later on, so it won't be money lost if you grabbed some KYB's or Conevalves or whatever.

I was in a similar predicament, I sold my 45 hour 19 tc250 and went backwards to a 55 hour 17 350sxf.

I figure whatever I do to it, I can take off and fit to the next gen 350 I'll buy next. Gonna get a 125 / 150 alongside it before I replace it though, thing seems to keep on trucking and so many people get mega hours out of the Austrian four strokes.

|

6/24/2022 3:56 AM

I have a preference for that generation as far as chassis feels go. Super forgiving and comfy. Those 16-18 Husky’s were some of the best looking bikes IMO.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

6/24/2022 4:23 AM

Kyb conversion and ride it.

|

6/24/2022 5:44 AM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Interested to collect some thoughts from fellow members. On the fence about whether or not to keep my current 2018 ...more

If you're like me you will upgrade your 18, ride it 5 hours and get a new bike anyway.

My Suzuki has 105 hours and Ive been wanting a new bike. The clutch started slipping last weekend and I felt like that was a sign to get a new bike.

|

6/24/2022 7:37 AM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Interested to collect some thoughts from fellow members. On the fence about whether or not to keep my current 2018 ...more

Sandusky26 wrote:

If you're like me you will upgrade your 18, ride it 5 hours and get a new bike anyway.

My Suzuki has 105 hours and Ive been ...more

Better sell that dinosaur and go orange ya damn hippy

|

6/24/2022 7:56 AM

You have one of the best looking and handling Huskys ever made. Spend the money on cone valves.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

6/24/2022 9:37 AM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Sandusky26 wrote:

RoostBuckets wrote:

Trying to go green or red. Not having any luck on trading my Suzuki in.

|

6/24/2022 9:39 AM

Sandusky26 wrote:

buy a 350 dude. I'm a yellow diehard too but you won't regret it.

|

6/24/2022 1:43 PM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Sandusky26 wrote:

RoostBuckets wrote:

laughing
|

6/24/2022 1:47 PM

c0ncEpT wrote:

You have one of the best looking and handling Huskys ever made. Spend the money on cone valves.

Not the first person I have heard say they preferred the appearance of this generation bike. To me, I think the number plates look fat. I will say however that the frame does feel more plush. It has noticeably more flex, even for a c/b rider to notice.

|

6/24/2022 1:48 PM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Sandusky26 wrote:

"If you're like me you will upgrade your 18, ride it 5 hours and get a new bike anyway."

Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. wink
|

6/24/2022 4:01 PM

Rickyisms wrote:

I have a preference for that generation as far as chassis feels go. Super forgiving and comfy. Those 16-18 Husky’s were some ...more

+1 on this comment, really like the style of that gen husky - at 55 hours I’d say you would have a couple more years left in yours - the WP6500 Cartridge fork inserts and rekluse clutch have been great upgrades to mine. If you’re concerned about the bike looking dated then you’ll feel the same about the ‘21 once the ‘23’s start showing up at the tracks.

|

6/24/2022 5:42 PM

121x wrote:

Hi All,

Sandusky26 wrote:

121x wrote: "If you're like me you will upgrade your 18, ride it 5 hours and get a new bike anyway."

Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. wink

I tried to talk myself out of wanting a new bike a couple of months ago. Replaced all the chassis bearings, bought a new Yosh exhaust and a KYB shock.

I still want a new bike

|

6/24/2022 6:15 PM

I’m similar in thinking but I’m at 110 hours on my 2018. Original top end that I will swap at 150 or so. I’m an older Vet and not hard on my bikes. I did MX Tech Luckies at 10 hours. Bike has been bulletproof and is plenty fast. I hate the look of the new ones. I see no reason to change at this point especially after reading some of the quality changes.

|

6/25/2022 1:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2022 1:13 PM

My hippy ass is in the dealership as I type this.

You hippies only live once.

|

6/25/2022 6:43 PM

Matt Fisher wrote:

The 17-20 forks simply aren't going to work as well without complete inserts, while the ...more

Does the black jack cartridge(s) replace both side or just the spring side?

|

6/26/2022 8:03 PM

Matt Fisher wrote:

The 17-20 forks simply aren't going to work as well without complete inserts, while the ...more

OrangeJuice158 wrote:

Does the black jack cartridge(s) replace both side or just the spring side?

Both sides. Drop-in, replaces everything on both sides with high-end components.

|

6/27/2022 3:43 AM

Sandusky26 wrote:

We better see a new green machine post.... Just think how thankful your leg will be...

|

6/27/2022 5:17 AM

Sandusky26 wrote:

RoostBuckets wrote:

We better see a new green machine post.... Just think how thankful your leg will be...

I'm not paying 12K for a piece of shit Kawi. I'm going in tomorrow and if they won't work with me on price I'm grabbing my Suzuki and walking out. I left my bike over the weekend for a deposit, I've also found a Suzuki for 6K. Good chance I'll be picking it up. You hippies have fun over paying.

|

6/27/2022 8:04 AM

Photo
No way a Kawi looks this good at 105 hours. Someone buy this thing for 4 grand so I can make roostbuckets happy.
|

6/29/2022 2:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Given me something to think about. Just reluctant to invest a bunch of money into a bike that I will not get back out of it when it comes time to sell.

Seriously contemplating the spring fork, probably inserts due to costs, but have some more research to do on the options. At least as mentioned, based on the direction could reuse them on a newer bike.

Was seriously contemplating purchasing a '22 or '23 gasgas mc350 and investing the money into that instead with the intention of having it a few years. But prices are still pretty stupid right now and I'm not a huge fan of paying the premium for brand new bikes. I don't ride enough anymore to justify it with all my other hobbies.

|

6/29/2022 2:18 PM

Sandusky26 wrote: Photo
No way a Kawi looks this good at 105 hours. Someone buy this thing for 4 grand so I can make roostbuckets happy.

Any updates?

|