17 250 sx jetting and pipe choice

Edited Date/Time 1/6/2017 6:55am
Just picked up my new 250. The service writer told me upon check out KTM recommends running the oil ratio 60:1?!?! I kinda argued with her in disbelief and haven't cracked open the manual.

Is this real?

I live in Missouri, elevation 800 feet. I'll be running 91 pump gas. Any jetting recommendations?

Thanks. Jeff.
|
TeamGreen
1/5/2017 11:19am
Call the guys at Donnell's in Independence, MO & ask'em what they run in their FC250s...

Or msg SlipDog in here: he's out here in Cali...He's an EXCELLENT Technician AND Rider...he's on a '17 FC250 (same engine).
sam hain
1/5/2017 11:25am
TeamGreen wrote:
Call the guys at Donnell's in Independence, MO & ask'em what they run in their FC250s... Or msg SlipDog in here: he's out here in Cali...He's...
Call the guys at Donnell's in Independence, MO & ask'em what they run in their FC250s...

Or msg SlipDog in here: he's out here in Cali...He's an EXCELLENT Technician AND Rider...he's on a '17 FC250 (same engine).
I think you mean TC...

KTM has recommended 60:1 for years, you'll be fine.
jeffro503
1/5/2017 11:26am
Lap the reed cage if necessary.
install new / after market reeds ( Stock ones seems to break and go through the motor )
mill the head down .20 ( From .70 to .50 )
Open up the air box for better air flow
**possibly file a small groove in the bottom of the slide**

So far after all the reading I've done on the 17' Husky TC 250 , this is what most people seem to be doing. The reed cage seems to be the biggest culprit in not letting the reeds seat all the way , which is causing jetting issues. I don't know if the KTM is exactly the same , but the reed cage should be the very first thing you check.
Pepe
1/5/2017 11:26am
Jetting with that fuel

JD blue needle 3rd clip but be ready to jump up to the second. (buy it, seriously, yes its like $70 for two needles and a pilot jet)
35 pilot
410 main
1.5 AS

The JD kit is going to come with a 32.5 pilot but its not going to be big enough in the Mikuni, in the winter, with 91oct piss fuel.

I run 50:1 with Motorex synth.

Make sure youre buying the correct pilot jets for the mikuni. they have two different nozzle sizes that are almost impercievable to the naked eye (and I swear that it causes half of the mikuni jetting issues on the net)

The Shop

Pepe
1/5/2017 11:27am
jeffro503 wrote:
Lap the reed cage if necessary. install new / after market reeds ( Stock ones seems to break and go through the motor ) mill the...
install new / after market reeds ( Stock ones seems to break and go through the motor )

So far after all the reading I've done on the 17' Husky TC 250 , this is what most people seem to be doing. The reed cage seems to be the biggest culprit in not letting the reeds seat all the way , which is causing jetting issues. I don't know if the KTM is exactly the same , but the reed cage should be the very first thing you check.
how long have you had your TC?
mxbrian15
1/5/2017 12:40pm
I've been running Motul at 50:1 for 7 years and have never had a problem.
hillbilly
1/5/2017 1:01pm
No way in hell I'd ever go that lean on oil.

I'm a 32:1 guy. 4oz a gallon,

If the bike is jetted for 60:1 and you add oil it is going to be lean on fuel/air ratio.
jeffro503
1/5/2017 1:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Lap the reed cage if necessary. install new / after market reeds ( Stock ones seems to break and go through the motor ) mill the...

Pepe wrote:
I haven't gotten mine yet. Just put up the info I have read from numerous owners on here and other sites. Those things I listed always seem to be mentioned. Is there something I listed that isn't true , or are you just looking to pick a fight?
LeMay_848
1/5/2017 2:06pm
I have a 17 ktm, jetting all stock but went up one on the main (seemed to help extend power before sign off just a bit, noticeable difference), running motorex 60:1 but it's up to you what you want to run your bike at, 60:1 works fine but it obviously won't hurt to add a bit and go 50 or 40:1, all personal preference. I'm in Michigan which is very similar elevation, but not as much humidity, shouldn't make a difference. if you run into jetting issues check reeds first, mine are ok at 5 hrs, couple guys I've talked to at the track are 25+ hrs and still issue free. I don't believe the reed issues are as widespread as everyone makes them out to be.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
1/5/2017 2:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Call the guys at Donnell's in Independence, MO & ask'em what they run in their FC250s... Or msg SlipDog in here: he's out here in Cali...He's...

This right here. I believe Slippy owns the bike and has put it through the hoops.
Micahdogg
1/5/2017 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2017 2:39pm
Been running my 2011 at 50:1 motorex and pump gas for years. Only jetting improvement was leaning the clip one notch. BTW, I jet all my 250's for 50:1 motorex now - my 86 atc250r too. For the 125's I use 32:1 though.
TeamGreen
1/5/2017 2:45pm
For the Record:

TC is what I meant...

Doh!
1/5/2017 2:47pm
'17 250sx here. Sea level with Florida humidity. Only thing I have done is go up one on the main. 40:1 with yamalube 2r or maxima 927
gsxr6
1/5/2017 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2017 3:09pm
hillbilly wrote:
No way in hell I'd ever go that lean on oil. I'm a 32:1 guy. 4oz a gallon, If the bike is jetted for 60:1 and...

If the bike is jetted for 60:1 and you add oil it is going to be lean on fuel/air ratio.
Agreed. 32 to 1 or I wear the rings off in ten hours. I have made lots of money fixing top ends on peoples 60: 1. Blendzall only. Watch out trying to explain to people that 60 to 1 requires leaner jetting than 32:1 does hehe. It's viscosity dudes
B-EVANS
1/5/2017 3:51pm
110 octane, 36:1, motorex in mine. Leaned clip 1 position, 450 main. Runs great
Deetsmx
1/5/2017 4:08pm
35 pilot
Blue jd needle on 3rd clip
440 main
Had to sand reed block down quite a bit to get it level and install new reeds.
hillbilly
1/5/2017 10:14pm
hillbilly wrote:
No way in hell I'd ever go that lean on oil. I'm a 32:1 guy. 4oz a gallon, If the bike is jetted for 60:1 and...

gsxr6 wrote:
Agreed. 32 to 1 or I wear the rings off in ten hours. I have made lots of money fixing top ends on peoples 60: 1...
Agreed. 32 to 1 or I wear the rings off in ten hours. I have made lots of money fixing top ends on peoples 60: 1. Blendzall only. Watch out trying to explain to people that 60 to 1 requires leaner jetting than 32:1 does hehe. It's viscosity dudes
Yeah, no kidding.

One thing people dont realize is this,

When you wind a 2 str out to max rpm then chop the throttle all the spinning parts are getting oiled by what little fuel is coming thru the pilot jet and maybe a tad pulling by the needle.

And,if you make it lean enuff to sit and idle its even worse. A 2 str should idle about 3 to 5 secs.

I've seen bikes seize on long downhill fireroads because of 8000 rpm and never raising the sl idle.
1/6/2017 6:56am
My next question is: does anyone have carbon fiber silencers and how long are they lasting? I used to run Doma pipes and handmade Munn carbon fiber silencers in 02-03 and I want to get a Bud racing kit. Or bills. Not going PC because their silencer is too expensive
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/6/2017 7:38am
My next question is: does anyone have carbon fiber silencers and how long are they lasting? I used to run Doma pipes and handmade Munn carbon...
My next question is: does anyone have carbon fiber silencers and how long are they lasting? I used to run Doma pipes and handmade Munn carbon fiber silencers in 02-03 and I want to get a Bud racing kit. Or bills. Not going PC because their silencer is too expensive
I've had good luck with Buds carbon silencers on my current 125 and my last one. I had Scalvini pipe and carbon silencer on my last YZ 250 and the silencer broke in half unfortunately. I really liked that combo though. If I get a 2017 sx soon I'm going with PC or Buds/HGS exhaust.
Micahdogg
1/6/2017 8:00am
hillbilly wrote:
Yeah, no kidding. One thing people dont realize is this, When you wind a 2 str out to max rpm then chop the throttle all the...
Yeah, no kidding.

When you wind a 2 str out to max rpm then chop the throttle all the spinning parts are getting oiled by what little fuel is coming thru the pilot jet and maybe a tad pulling by the needle.

And,if you make it lean enuff to sit and idle its even worse. A 2 str should idle about 3 to 5 secs.

I've seen bikes seize on long downhill fireroads because of 8000 rpm and never raising the sl idle.
That is an interesting perspective. I always thought that a film of oil sort of built up all over the lower end, which doesn't just burn completely away because you held it WOT during an extended amount of time.

All I know is I've used Motorex at 50:1 since November 2010 when I bought my '11 250sx new. After a few hundred hours of really aggressive woods riding, it still made 180 psi in 2015. I installed a slightly thinner base gasket and tossed in a new set of rings and it made 190 psi....and I only did it to rub it in to my thumper friends that I "rebuild" my bike for $50.
1/6/2017 8:00am
From what i have heard, the bills pipe is just a normal stamped pipe, that has had somebody burn rings around it with a tig, to give it a cone pipe appearance
Skerby
1/6/2017 9:26am
Micahdogg wrote:
That is an interesting perspective. I always thought that a film of oil sort of built up all over the lower end, which doesn't just burn...
That is an interesting perspective. I always thought that a film of oil sort of built up all over the lower end, which doesn't just burn completely away because you held it WOT during an extended amount of time.

All I know is I've used Motorex at 50:1 since November 2010 when I bought my '11 250sx new. After a few hundred hours of really aggressive woods riding, it still made 180 psi in 2015. I installed a slightly thinner base gasket and tossed in a new set of rings and it made 190 psi....and I only did it to rub it in to my thumper friends that I "rebuild" my bike for $50.
I put 100s of hours on an 03 125sx at 40:1 purely riding off road, never even replaced the ring. These bikes are built for motocross and it seems that they will basically last forever when it comes to trail riding.
1/6/2017 3:47pm
kaboom645 wrote:
From what i have heard, the bills pipe is just a normal stamped pipe, that has had somebody burn rings around it with a tig, to...
From what i have heard, the bills pipe is just a normal stamped pipe, that has had somebody burn rings around it with a tig, to give it a cone pipe appearance
Yeah, that's correct. But you pay a big upcharge for the cone look. They explain it on the website which is cool.

I'm just wondering if anyone even has the pipes ready to sell. Parts U, WPS... etc nobody has the part number for it in their books even if the book has been released.

I do have the link for the 17 hardparts book. Akrapovic makes a silencer for the bike. Trouble is... it's $500.
JWACK
1/6/2017 3:53pm
jeffro503 wrote:

Pepe wrote:
Did you get yours fixed up.? Looked like your forks went flat and wadded it up? How did the plastic sub frame hold up? What's the story? If you are who I think you are lol.
slipdog
1/6/2017 4:37pm
JWACK wrote:
Did you get yours fixed up.? Looked like your forks went flat and wadded it up? How did the plastic sub frame hold up? What's the...
Did you get yours fixed up.? Looked like your forks went flat and wadded it up? How did the plastic sub frame hold up? What's the story? If you are who I think you are lol.
Throttle stuck and wadded up, ripped the schrader valve off the forks in the aftermath of the 4th gear pinned to "OH SHIT!"
JWACK
1/6/2017 4:44pm
JWACK wrote:
Did you get yours fixed up.? Looked like your forks went flat and wadded it up? How did the plastic sub frame hold up? What's the...
slipdog wrote:
Throttle stuck and wadded up, ripped the schrader valve off the forks in the aftermath of the 4th gear pinned to "OH SHIT!"
Hells yes Oh Shit! That's Scary. The aftermath of the scoot didn't look good.
reded
1/6/2017 4:54pm
Does anyone have a link to the thread that showed the aftermath?
slipdog
1/6/2017 5:10pm
reded wrote:
It was his "Spoke with my wallet" thread. I posted the picture after I saw it on FB because he was pretty bummed about moto at threatening to quit. I say only quitters quit.... Pepe ain't no quitter!
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
1/6/2017 5:18pm
hillbilly wrote:
Yeah, no kidding. One thing people dont realize is this, When you wind a 2 str out to max rpm then chop the throttle all the...
Yeah, no kidding.

Micahdogg wrote:
That is an interesting perspective. I always thought that a film of oil sort of built up all over the lower end, which doesn't just burn...

It's because that thin oil is thin and not getting any other oil added to it. So you are spinning RPMS but only have idle levels of fuel (oil) entering the motor. This high rpm and no fuel (oil) is the culprit.

You always chop a 2 stroke after got WOT or going down hill.
jeffro503
1/6/2017 6:05pm
reded wrote:
slipdog wrote:
It was his "Spoke with my wallet" thread. I posted the picture after I saw it on FB because he was pretty bummed about moto at...
It was his "Spoke with my wallet" thread. I posted the picture after I saw it on FB because he was pretty bummed about moto at threatening to quit. I say only quitters quit.... Pepe ain't no quitter!
Jesus! I thought the guy was coming in here just looking to pick a fight? ( Maybe he was ) , but dang that sounds like a scary deal.

Post a reply to: 17 250 sx jetting and pipe choice

The Latest