16 350xc-f Condenser Died

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2018 12:47 PM

2 weeks ago my Dad picked up a clean used 2016 KTM 350xc-f. I put about an hour or so on it at Switchback indoor the day we picked it up. Bike ran flawlessly. Then we made a trip down to Durhamtown this past weekend. Put about 3 hrs or so on the bike riding trails and then I rode it for solid 10 mins or more on a nice little moto track they have (MX4 for those that been there). Bike ran great and I was really loving it so I pulled off the track just to talk my bro into riding it so he could see how good it was. He made it about 3/4 of a lap when the bike died on the face of small double and went over the bars (he is completely fine). Bike would not do anything when starter button was pressed. Towed it back to our camp and got to tearing it down. Turns out main fuse was blown. Put the spare in it and it blew instantly. Did some quick searching and saw posts on here and other sites similar stating KTM 16 models had issues with the capacitor under the gas tank (KTM calls it a Condenser, not sure why) so I unplugged it and used some always handy wire tie has a fuse, sure enough the bike starter starting turning her over once starter button was pressed. So my question is, was this a freak thing or is this a common problem? Did KTM have any recall on this or at least update the condenser to ensure this wouldn't happen again? Very scary issue to have. Very thankful we were not riding Big Buck or Bomber track when this happened (for those that aren't familar with Durhamtown, those tracks have some nice booters).

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

12/4/2018 1:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2018 1:01 PM

That is not a normal failure.

Paw Paw

|

12/4/2018 1:06 PM

KTM

|

12/4/2018 1:12 PM

super common in 2016

They updated the hanger and the part.

Replace it and forget about it...

|

12/4/2018 1:29 PM

I believe there was a recall on that. Anyway, they replaced it with the older, larger version for the 17 and later models and the issues went away.

|

12/4/2018 1:36 PM

Yep find the 2015 condenser (shorter, thicker one) and zip tie it to the frame.

|

12/4/2018 3:56 PM

Was updated on the 17’s. Replace it and be done with it.

|

12/4/2018 4:16 PM

Thanks for info guys.

Anyone know the purpose of the capacitor? Seems to be in series with the fuel pump and since capacitors store energy I am thinking it gives extra power to fuel pump while starting?

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

12/4/2018 6:14 PM

The condenser also keeps the bike running if your battery goes bad while riding and should allow you to bump start with a dead battery. The recall was to add a bracket to change the mount angle, and ktm would replace the condenser if the bike stalled when revving with a disconnected battery

|

12/4/2018 6:21 PM

RGaede wrote:

The condenser also keeps the bike running if your battery goes bad while riding and should allow you to bump start with a dead battery. The recall was to add a bracket to change the mount angle, and ktm would replace the condenser if the bike stalled when revving with a disconnected battery

That is correct, I had 2 16 350 SXF’s mine and my sons, dealer sent me 2 condensers and brackets under warranty, 1 bike stalled when battery was disconnected, the other didn’t.

|

@TONY351KTM

12/4/2018 10:46 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

That is not a normal failure.

Paw Paw

WRONG.

|

Ed Johnson

12/5/2018 5:22 AM

Same thing happened to me on me 16 450sxf. I almost died jumping downhill 3rd gear tapped when it shut off. Ktm recalled the part free of charge, but I sold the bike immediately afterwards for cheap.

|

12/5/2018 8:31 AM

billyp330 wrote:

Thanks for info guys.

Anyone know the purpose of the capacitor? Seems to be in series with the fuel pump and since capacitors store energy I am thinking it gives extra power to fuel pump while starting?

It's a lot like a battery

On a batteryless system - it's needed to store enough charge up at slow rpms to power up the ecu and fuel pump. When you kick a bike voltage is generated but not enough.

This is why when EFI came out it was said 3 kicks were needed to charge the system before it would start (sometimes only 1 kick if the capacitor stays charged in practice)

The ktm will run without the condenser just fine if the battery is good. But again it's not recommended.

|

12/5/2018 8:38 AM

these KTMs love throwing riders over the bars

|

12/5/2018 8:43 AM

billyp330 wrote:

Thanks for info guys.

Derek Harris wrote:

It's a lot like a battery

On a batteryless system - it's needed to store enough charge up at slow rpms to power up the ecu and fuel pump. When you kick a bike voltage is generated but not enough.

This is why when EFI came out it was said 3 kicks were needed to charge the system before it would start (sometimes only 1 kick if the capacitor stays charged in practice)

The ktm will run without the condenser just fine if the battery is good. But again it's not recommended.

Thank you. This is exactly what I thought its purpose was. Wish I would of known this while out on the trail. Could of just disconnected it, put a new fuse in, bump started it and rode it back to our camp. It was a pain towing it with my bros crf450r haha. O well we made it.

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

12/5/2018 8:46 AM

fourfourone wrote:

It is a very scary thing to think about. But every efi bike has them from what i gathered so it could happen to any bike really. If I think about all the things that could go wrong with a bike while riding, I would be forced to give up moto. That is not happening.

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

12/5/2018 8:52 AM

fourfourone wrote:

yz250f's had a lot of issues with them too.
People just didnt know what it was...

Most people on here are ignorant to the fact that most the OEMs use the same sources for the electronics - the condenser isn't a ktm made part - or ecu...

So yes - shame on ktm for the issue - but it was corrected quickly. It's surprising this 16 went this long actually. Could just chalk it up to a worn out condenser.

And learning all this electronics stuff is a pain! Auto tech's been laughing at me.

|

12/5/2018 9:05 AM

fourfourone wrote:

Derek Harris wrote:

yz250f's had a lot of issues with them too.
People just didnt know what it was...

Most people on here are ignorant to the fact that most the OEMs use the same sources for the electronics - the condenser isn't a ktm made part - or ecu...

So yes - shame on ktm for the issue - but it was corrected quickly. It's surprising this 16 went this long actually. Could just chalk it up to a worn out condenser.

And learning all this electronics stuff is a pain! Auto tech's been laughing at me.

After having this issue I saw that my 2009 kx450 also uses a capacitor in series with fuel pump and I am now thinking I should replace it as it has never been haha

The KTM was bought brand new in 2015 right when the 16s hit dealer floors. It was sold in november 2015 to a relative of mine whom rode it during the summers of 16 and 17 quite a bit, but it sat all of 18 as he bought a 18 crf450r in may 2018. He kept it so his buddy whom doesnt have a bike could ride it but never did.

|

2018 crf450r
2015 Ninja 1000

12/6/2018 1:24 PM

Dealer did mine under warranty on my 2016 350 SXF, also replaced spokes in the front wheel.

My 2017 hasn't had any issues.

|