'16 - '18 250SXF Gearing

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2018 4:06 PM

What are you guys running?

I am aware that the ‘16s came with 13/50 (3.846) which I guess was adequate but according to MXA, KTM dropped that in favor of a 14/51(3.642) combo for the '17 + '18s because they believed the potent engine could pull the much tall gearing. They recommend either a 13/51 (3.923) or a 14/53 (3.785). I only have a handful of rides on my ’18, but it did seem like I was in 2nd gear in many sections of the track where I’d normally be in 3rd on my CRF. Luckily gearing changes are relatively painless and inexpensive but I was hoping to get some feedback from the Vital brain trust with experiences here. Any guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


I am of Vet intermediate speed and ride strictly MX on mainly loose to intermediate soil.

|

'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'18 CRF50
'15 PW 50
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

2/20/2018 7:19 PM

Factory runs 13/52. I like 13/50, amazing difference and at 160lbs I can pull 3rd gear starts.

|

2/21/2018 2:29 AM

14/52 “add a tooth” 3.714. If you ride the bike like it’s meant to be ridden this works well, can rev out second when needed and it will pull 3rd without falling on its face if you shift too soon. 3rd will pull anything you need on the track.

|

2/21/2018 4:02 PM

swtwtwtw wrote:

Factory runs 13/52. I like 13/50, amazing difference and at 160lbs I can pull 3rd gear starts.

Which factory? I believe the Troy Lee teams runs the 14/53 combo.

|

'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'18 CRF50
'15 PW 50
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

2/21/2018 4:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 9:33 PM

RCMXracing wrote:

14/52 “add a tooth” 3.714. If you ride the bike like it’s meant to be ridden this works well, can rev out second when needed and it will pull 3rd without falling on its face if you shift too soon. 3rd will pull anything you need on the track.

Thanks for the reply. The 14/52 is an option I hadn't considered. Lower than the current stock set-up but taller than the '16 combo. That could work well too.


Where are all the 250SXF guys hiding? I know there's a metric shit ton of them here.

|

'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'18 CRF50
'15 PW 50
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

2/21/2018 5:07 PM

RCMXracing wrote:

14/52 “add a tooth” 3.714. If you ride the bike like it’s meant to be ridden this works well, can rev out second when needed and it will pull 3rd without falling on its face if you shift too soon. 3rd will pull anything you need on the track.

soopah noviss wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The 14/52 is an option I hadn't considered. Lower than the current stock set-up but taller than the '16 combo. That could work well too.


Where are all the 250SXF guys hiding? I know there's a metric shit ton of them here.

I take it you mean 14/52? I run 13/51. I ride mostly in sand and am heavy. Works great.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

2/21/2018 9:40 PM

RCMXracing wrote:

14/52 “add a tooth” 3.714. If you ride the bike like it’s meant to be ridden this works well, can rev out second when needed and it will pull 3rd without falling on its face if you shift too soon. 3rd will pull anything you need on the track.

soopah noviss wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The 14/52 is an option I hadn't considered. Lower than the current stock set-up but taller than the '16 combo. That could work well too.


Where are all the 250SXF guys hiding? I know there's a metric shit ton of them here.

MPJC wrote:

I take it you mean 14/52? I run 13/51. I ride mostly in sand and am heavy. Works great.

Yes 14/52, one up on rear sprocket. To get the most out of it you have to ride it like a deranged teenager that just got his girl stolen by the captain of the football team - full rage. Don’t make the bike be something it isn’t. I’ve learned I have to fit the bike not get it to be something it’s not. There's a reason they sell it with 14/51 gearing. I added a tooth because A) I’m 185lbs, and cool Not a Pro. I would be curious what TLD’s outdoor gearing is, but they may have different internal ratios and of course factory engines so would be misleading unless you had the whole picture.

|

2/23/2018 4:19 PM

My kid, and the Turner's I've talked to prefer the stock gearing outdoors, but I suppose you can't be heavy. Less shifting with the engine provided faster lap times with my watch.

|

Older and YZer!!!