150sx or 250f?

Pete11
I’m wanting to down size from my current 450f, just wears me out. I’m 160lbs 5’5”, c class rider. What’s everyone s opinion between the two bikes. I just want something that’s fun, but still halfass competetive.
|
kb228
4/30/2018 9:24am
I vote 250f. Personally, its annoying to mix gas and mess w the carb. I like to hop on and go. Fun factor is the same on any dirtbike for me.
4/30/2018 9:56am
I'd say 150 it's annyoying having to mess with changing oil filters every oil change and doing valve adjustments.
nytsmaC
4/30/2018 9:58am
Get the 150 if you want to turn yourself into a B class rider. Nothing will teach you how to ride better than riding a bike that demands good technique.

The Shop

cwtoyota
4/30/2018 10:09am
Pete11 wrote:
I’m wanting to down size from my current 450f, just wears me out. I’m 160lbs 5’5”, c class rider. What’s everyone s opinion between the two...
I’m wanting to down size from my current 450f, just wears me out. I’m 160lbs 5’5”, c class rider. What’s everyone s opinion between the two bikes. I just want something that’s fun, but still halfass competetive.
I benefited enough from years on a stock 125 in the 30+B class to move up to 30+A, I have to give a nod to nytsmaC's comment for being right on the money.

Let me add the asterisk here though... If you are the kind of rider who likes to be aggressive and use a lot of body-English on the bike, and you're the kind of rider who wants to learn to carry speed and commit to stuff every single lap you ride, the 125 or 150 is for you.

If you can be honest with yourself, and you want to have those days, or those laps where you just putter around in the corners and still jump some sections, you're a four-stroke guy and you won't enjoy the little smoker because it punishes lazy riding.

If you're on a 125 or 150, you pretty much have to ride the thing hard at all times to get around the track because you have to carry speed. That's precisely what makes nytsmaC's comment so accurate, but you have to be willing to ride hard and be in shape.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/30/2018 10:11am
Pete11 wrote:
I’m wanting to down size from my current 450f, just wears me out. I’m 160lbs 5’5”, c class rider. What’s everyone s opinion between the two...
cwtoyota wrote:
I benefited enough from years on a stock 125 in the 30+B class to move up to 30+A, I have to give a nod to nytsmaC's...
I benefited enough from years on a stock 125 in the 30+B class to move up to 30+A, I have to give a nod to nytsmaC's comment for being right on the money.

Let me add the asterisk here though... If you are the kind of rider who likes to be aggressive and use a lot of body-English on the bike, and you're the kind of rider who wants to learn to carry speed and commit to stuff every single lap you ride, the 125 or 150 is for you.

If you can be honest with yourself, and you want to have those days, or those laps where you just putter around in the corners and still jump some sections, you're a four-stroke guy and you won't enjoy the little smoker because it punishes lazy riding.

If you're on a 125 or 150, you pretty much have to ride the thing hard at all times to get around the track because you have to carry speed. That's precisely what makes nytsmaC's comment so accurate, but you have to be willing to ride hard and be in shape.
Bingo !!

Zaugg
4/30/2018 10:23am
Might I suggest a KTM 350 SXF? It's a Vet rider's best friend and an awesome bike for a C-Class rider. All the flick-ability of a 250 with power on-demand, minus all the rotating mass.

Something to think about.

tk2stroke
4/30/2018 10:51am
The sport is all about fun and feeling like a hero. While the 250 will be more fun than the 450, nothing compares to a 150 for pure enjoyment of the sport.
Bruneval
4/30/2018 11:49am
nytsmaC wrote:
Get the 150 if you want to turn yourself into a B class rider. Nothing will teach you how to ride better than riding a bike...
Get the 150 if you want to turn yourself into a B class rider. Nothing will teach you how to ride better than riding a bike that demands good technique.
This is so true. My 150sx is a great bike, but it certainly exposes my poor technique and demands more effort and thought from me. I can feel the gains though, and it is FUN.
nytsmaC
4/30/2018 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 12:19pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Get the 150 if you want to turn yourself into a B class rider. Nothing will teach you how to ride better than riding a bike...
Bruneval wrote:
This is so true. My 150sx is a great bike, but it certainly exposes my poor technique and demands more effort and thought from me. I...
This is so true. My 150sx is a great bike, but it certainly exposes my poor technique and demands more effort and thought from me. I can feel the gains though, and it is FUN.
My riding got better and I started having more fun than ever when I got a 144. Before that I was a C class lifer. I probably still don’t really belong in the B class but winning the C class suddenly got easy.

I don’t really go any faster on a 250f, it’s just a lot easier. It’s always more fun flogging the 144 doing it the hard way.
Bruneval
4/30/2018 1:31pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Bruneval wrote:
This is so true. My 150sx is a great bike, but it certainly exposes my poor technique and demands more effort and thought from me. I...
nytsmaC wrote:
My riding got better and I started having more fun than ever when I got a 144. Before that I was a C class lifer. I...
My riding got better and I started having more fun than ever when I got a 144. Before that I was a C class lifer. I probably still don’t really belong in the B class but winning the C class suddenly got easy.

I don’t really go any faster on a 250f, it’s just a lot easier. It’s always more fun flogging the 144 doing it the hard way.
Same for me - I had hit a plateau despite riding for a long time, and then took a 3 year lay-off with emigrating, and now I'm getting back into it I feel like a novice again trying to get to grips with this bike. Its a bunch of fun and the light weight is a real benefit. I feel like it will be worth the effort!
Dexter
4/30/2018 1:53pm
If you're seeking for a recent bike, how about a ktm/husky 250 2t ? I've switched from a YZ125 to a TC250, I couldn't be happier motor wise. Feel as light as the 125, almost as fun and the motor pull like something between a 2t and a 4t with more than enough power for me.
Pete11
4/30/2018 2:06pm
I’m leaning towards the two stroke 150, just for the sake of cheaper rebuilds and so on. I’m always a nervous about the little 250fs revving so high and going boom!! But maybe that’s just me over thinking things.
cwtoyota
4/30/2018 4:15pm
Pete11 wrote:
I’m leaning towards the two stroke 150, just for the sake of cheaper rebuilds and so on. I’m always a nervous about the little 250fs revving...
I’m leaning towards the two stroke 150, just for the sake of cheaper rebuilds and so on. I’m always a nervous about the little 250fs revving so high and going boom!! But maybe that’s just me over thinking things.
That was a problem years ago, but I know guys with crazy hours on their 250Fs...

I actually think I spend more on preventative maintenance on the 125. I do a piston between 13 and 15 hours for a cost of about $125. I am over-cautious with that. I think most guys can get 20 to 25 hours with no problems on a 125 / 150.

The 250F will go 40 to 50 hours on a piston without any issues for the average guy.

When you do the math, you do a piston about twice as often in the two stroke, at a cost that is about half of the four stroke (including gaskets, etc). The four stroke takes twice as much labor time to switch out a piston.

Both suck down oil like crazy. Four strokes you change it often, two strokes you mix it every time.
If you compare maintenance, they're dead even. If you blow up a 250F, that's when they are more costly.

Get the bike you want to RIDE the most.

(disclaimer: The 250 two stroke is cheaper on maintenance if you exclude the cost of exhaust pipes).
DynoDan22
4/30/2018 7:57pm
I just switched from a '17 SX-f 450 to an '18 150sx. I'm a C class rider and my friends thought I was crazy to switch back. They all said the 150 would be harder to ride and I'd be miserable. Wrong! These new small bore bikes have come a long way since my last bog-o-matic mid 90's 125. The power is broad and the new chassis and brakes on the KTM/Husky is awesome. I can actually ride longer and I feel like I can put the bike anywhere on the track compared to my 450. I haven't had this much fun riding in years. The bike teaches you better technique that will reward you if and when you ever go back to a 4 stroke. After a few weeks on my 150, I wondered why I didn't do this earlier. Sure, I may go back to a 4-stroke someday, but for now I'm having way more fun learning to keep my momentum up in corners and carry speed. The bike feels so incredibly light even compared to a 250f. MX bikes were designed to be ridden hard and pushed; that's where they handle the best. If you're a C class rider like myself, I couldn't push a 450 even close to where it needs to be ridden. It's a different story with the 150 as I can push it and it just feels amazing. I'm going to stay on a 150 for a year or two and just learn the fundamentals I feel I was missing on my 450. Just my opinion, but I've never had this much fun riding in decades. Lol. Btw, I'm 190lbs and my 150 does surprisingly well.
FI2T
4/30/2018 8:27pm
Pete11 wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:
I benefited enough from years on a stock 125 in the 30+B class to move up to 30+A, I have to give a nod to nytsmaC's...

Some good responses all around here. CW hits it for me. I have liked my four strokes but for me the biggest difference is how much more aggressively I can ride my 2stroke. I'm 6'2" and 200ish I switched out with a buddy last wk. His 17 sx150 amazed me! They are so agile and have enough power. I will say I preferred the sx250 but at 5'5" and 160 you will love the 150. I'd bet you'll at least feel faster on the 150 then you did on your 450.
jeffro503
4/30/2018 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 9:53pm
Pete11 wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:

langhammx wrote:
Bingo !!

Cam and CW said that perfectly! So many reason's for myself why I swapped down to the smaller 2 strokes. And I do not regret doing it one bit.
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
5/1/2018 4:12am
I remember switching from a 2004 KX125 to a 2007 YZ144 and I couldn't believe how much more power the 144 had. A much bigger difference than I expected. Of course the 07 yz125 would have been a nice upgrade in itself lol.

Then I bought my first 4 stroke - a 2011 yzf250 then a 2014 rmz250. First lap on the 250f I was laughing and thinking my god this is ridiculously easy, why didn't I buy one of these years ago. But the fun factor of the 125/150 is something not to be overlooked. There's just a level of intensity/excitement on the 2 stroke not matched by the 4 strokes imo. I guess cause you feel like you're riding on the edge at every moment. But then again the torque of the 4 stroke is addicting. Decisions...
Pete11
5/1/2018 5:51am
Been looking around at some 150s and there’s some 2017s to found at decent prices. Has everyone figured out the jetting on these yet or is it really that big of a issue? Any other problems showing up on these little bikes a person should be aware of?
5/1/2018 7:51am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 7:53am
What are you going to do with it? If you're gonna race and go fast, 250F. If you're gonna have fun, 150. I sold my '16 KX250F after buying my '02 RM which I did after riding my son's '04 KX125 too many times. I took both the RM and KXF to the track several times and almost never rode the KXF when I did even though it was probably technically the best bike I've ever owned. Me, I just like small light bikes and at 56 years old, I don't really need to be going "fast".

And then there's the whole "if I blow this 250F up..." thing and I'm not just talking valves and such. Always in the back of my mind is some bolt coming loose and draining the coolant, oil, or whatever.
Pete11
5/2/2018 11:16am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2018 11:19am
Been talking to buddies about downsizing and they think I’m crazy... oh u will get bored with the 150 after awhile, they are harder to ride, so on so on. Prior to my 450 , wich is a 2016 rmz 450 I was on 250 two strokes for 20 yrs. I thought it was time for a change and got the 450. Its a good bike, I just don’t gel with it though, to heavy to much torque, maybe I’m just not manly enough for it.....
Tryhard
5/2/2018 11:32am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2018 11:33am
Pete11 wrote:
Been talking to buddies about downsizing and they think I’m crazy... oh u will get bored with the 150 after awhile, they are harder to ride...
Been talking to buddies about downsizing and they think I’m crazy... oh u will get bored with the 150 after awhile, they are harder to ride, so on so on. Prior to my 450 , wich is a 2016 rmz 450 I was on 250 two strokes for 20 yrs. I thought it was time for a change and got the 450. Its a good bike, I just don’t gel with it though, to heavy to much torque, maybe I’m just not manly enough for it.....
the whole not manly enough thing is just so played out , the guy who can go out and ride both but choses the 250f or the 250t is letting his nuts hang and has no problem keeping up with the 450's so i dont need bigger displacement to make up for that , because i just want to ride and have fun . 450's are fun , but i dont need it , and never will . There is a difference between having big nuts , and being stupid . And i found myself in to many stupid situations on 450s .. Plus i ride faster on my 250fs and my 2 strokes ...
cwtoyota
5/2/2018 4:35pm
Pete11 wrote:
Been talking to buddies about downsizing and they think I’m crazy... oh u will get bored with the 150 after awhile, they are harder to ride...
I've been a two-smoke guy since day one as a kid... After racing a 125 and winning plenty of races on it, I tried a '14 YZ450F for six months. I forced myself to only ride that pig during that time but I couldn't stand the way it handled and the compression braking. The starts were great though!

I got out my rusty old steel framed '02 YZ250 and slapped a set of SSS forks and shock on it. I was immediately 3 to 5 seconds faster out at Washougal than on the 450F (same day, same conditions).

I put the 450F up for sale and have been riding both YZ250 smokers and the 125 after that.
I have ridden other four strokes I liked (KX450F, 350SX-F, YZ250F) but that blue 450F wasn't for me and I have little desire to get another four stroke when a 250 smoker is enough to be cometitive in 25+ and 30+ where I race.

Get the bike you'll enjoy and forget what your friends tell you. I get a bad start, sure, but I am attacking the whole moto and feel like I'm having fun. I'd rather do that than get a holeshot on the 450F and fade or crash to 10th due to that sketchy blue chassis.
cwtoyota
5/2/2018 4:42pm
Tryhard wrote:
the whole not manly enough thing is just so played out , the guy who can go out and ride both but choses the 250f or...
the whole not manly enough thing is just so played out , the guy who can go out and ride both but choses the 250f or the 250t is letting his nuts hang and has no problem keeping up with the 450's so i dont need bigger displacement to make up for that , because i just want to ride and have fun . 450's are fun , but i dont need it , and never will . There is a difference between having big nuts , and being stupid . And i found myself in to many stupid situations on 450s .. Plus i ride faster on my 250fs and my 2 strokes ...
Nuts hanging or whatever it is, I've found that if you go rail a 125 and battle for the lead, even in the vet class people love watching that. There are always people yelling and fist pumping for the guy ripping on a 125.

5/2/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2018 8:11pm
Pete11 wrote:
Well, maybe they will, but in '09, I downsized from a YZ450F to a KX125 after riding both for a few months and never once even _thought_ about that 450F again. I should've never sold that KX125/144 but i thought my riding days were over. Then I got a KX250F and ended up riding the KX125 I bought for my son until he grew into it from his KX100. When he stole the KX125 from me, I got an RM 134. When I took both it and the KX250F to the track, I'd ride the latter 1 lap, park it, and get back on the RM. I sold the 250F and every time I hop on the RM, I grin.

So, no.... the 125 hasn't gotten old for me. I love the things.
jeffro503
5/2/2018 8:28pm
Tryhard wrote:
the whole not manly enough thing is just so played out , the guy who can go out and ride both but choses the 250f or...
cwtoyota wrote:
Nuts hanging or whatever it is, I've found that if you go rail a 125 and battle for the lead, even in the vet class people...
Nuts hanging or whatever it is, I've found that if you go rail a 125 and battle for the lead, even in the vet class people love watching that. There are always people yelling and fist pumping for the guy ripping on a 125.

Brother....we need to hook up and go shred some 125's for a day!! I was on and off 450's for 15 years , and just started to lose interest in the fact I didn't have to work hard to try and go fast. I preach this to no end......the little bikes can teach you so much if you let them. And ever since I made the commitment to switch to the 125 / 250 2 strokes.....I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

And like you.....especially in longer moto's , I know I'm faster on them compared to my 450's. They just suit my riding style better. I don't get as tired either....which is why the 450's were killing me.
5/3/2018 12:31am
I had a 150sx for a few years and ride now a 2015 yz250f. The yz250f is probably the best bike i ever rode: Fast and broad engine, great suspension, corners decent and maintenance is low. Still I miss the 150 and my next bike is a tc125.
If you just ride for fun and you're willing to accept the challenge, you'll have a GREAT time!
cwtoyota
5/3/2018 8:58am
Tryhard wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:
Nuts hanging or whatever it is, I've found that if you go rail a 125 and battle for the lead, even in the vet class people...

jeffro503 wrote:
Brother....we need to hook up and go shred some 125's for a day!! I was on and off 450's for 15 years , and just started...
Brother....we need to hook up and go shred some 125's for a day!! I was on and off 450's for 15 years , and just started to lose interest in the fact I didn't have to work hard to try and go fast. I preach this to no end......the little bikes can teach you so much if you let them. And ever since I made the commitment to switch to the 125 / 250 2 strokes.....I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

And like you.....especially in longer moto's , I know I'm faster on them compared to my 450's. They just suit my riding style better. I don't get as tired either....which is why the 450's were killing me.
That sounds like fun to me. I head down south to Riverdale, Washougal, etc when I ride. I've been taking a little break off riding while I'm going back to college, but I'll be back at it for sure. I still have bikes, gear, moto-van, etc. but time is limited by homework.

mb
5/3/2018 9:11am

Post a reply to: 150sx or 250f?

The Latest