150 motor oils tested

Kevin_Reed
Edited Date/Time 11/8/2015 10:07am
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
A US racing engine builder tests engine oils. There are a few surprises at the top and bottom!
|
Berm
Fantasy
136th
11/5/2015 6:22pm
There is nothing on Yamalube, HRC, XPS, ect. Pretty sure the few Amsoil bottles are not kinds marketed to MX riders, nor the Klotz bottles. Didn't bother searching for more after that.
zehn
11/5/2015 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 6:23pm
Good lord that guy is long winded. He wasted several thousand words assuring us that *his* test and procedures are the best.

The Shop

zehn
11/5/2015 6:39pm
moto455va wrote:
TL;DR

Just give me some Rotella T6
11/5/2015 7:00pm
Berm wrote:
There is nothing on Yamalube, HRC, XPS, ect. Pretty sure the few Amsoil bottles are not kinds marketed to MX riders, nor the Klotz bottles. Didn't...
There is nothing on Yamalube, HRC, XPS, ect. Pretty sure the few Amsoil bottles are not kinds marketed to MX riders, nor the Klotz bottles. Didn't bother searching for more after that.
From what I read all the tests were done on automotive engine's and used an engine that ran at 7700 RPM so while some information is good he doesn't take into consideration on higher RPM engines or wet clutches. Also considering the small amount of oil used in a motorcycle engine and the short time between oil changes.
keith101
11/5/2015 7:23pm
Berm wrote:
There is nothing on Yamalube, HRC, XPS, ect. Pretty sure the few Amsoil bottles are not kinds marketed to MX riders, nor the Klotz bottles. Didn't...
From what I read all the tests were done on automotive engine's and used an engine that ran at 7700 RPM so while some information is...
From what I read all the tests were done on automotive engine's and used an engine that ran at 7700 RPM so while some information is good he doesn't take into consideration on higher RPM engines or wet clutches. Also considering the small amount of oil used in a motorcycle engine and the short time between oil changes.
JM485
11/5/2015 7:50pm
Berm wrote:
From what I read all the tests were done on automotive engine's and used an engine that ran at 7700 RPM so while some information is...
That's true, I thought the same thing about the wet clutch protection, but I still think there are some interesting points we can take away from his data.

For guys who have a bike that separates trans and engine oil, the wear protection data could be very helpful, and also the thermal breakdown temperatures considering how hot some of the four strokes can get, especially if there was a cooling problem.

For those of us on two strokes or for guys who have separate clutch/trans oil, selecting an oil with a high wear protection rating as well as wet clutch compatibility seems like the logical choice. I've been using rotella for a while now and after reading that I still feel like it is a good choice, although the wear protection rating isn't super high compared to other oils I think it will easily do the job for a transmission as long as it's changed frequently. Conversely though, I don't know if I'd run it in a four stroke motor now since there are obviously better options out there for wear protection and thermal breakdown protection if we aren't taking clutches into account.

Thanks for posting that OP, definitely some good info in there!
Jrewing
11/5/2015 10:00pm
Anyone have the cliff notes? That's way too much info...
Yep just choose an oil with lots of Zinc... The fella just loves Zinc!

Motul 300v ester gave him "A boner". He now rubs himself off with it- can get a great big fistful without blistering
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/6/2015 4:28am
The kicker is which oil on that list can be used with a wet clutch?

That PSI value I believe has to be low enough to be suitable for wet clutch use. I'm not sure what clutch springs push back with, but for example. If your clutch pack pushes back with 100,00 psi, those top 30 would be useless.

Example: 5 springs at 100 pounds each = a pushing force of 500lbs. x The surface area all the fiber clutch discs (say its 100 square in.) = 50,000 psi

I think.
11/6/2015 5:17am
Markee wrote:
The kicker is which oil on that list can be used with a wet clutch? That PSI value I believe has to be low enough to...
The kicker is which oil on that list can be used with a wet clutch?

That PSI value I believe has to be low enough to be suitable for wet clutch use. I'm not sure what clutch springs push back with, but for example. If your clutch pack pushes back with 100,00 psi, those top 30 would be useless.

Example: 5 springs at 100 pounds each = a pushing force of 500lbs. x The surface area all the fiber clutch discs (say its 100 square in.) = 50,000 psi

I think.
Moly content is the main factor with wet clutch use.

Honda guys can ignore the wet clutch stuff.
11/6/2015 5:23am
I understand this guys long-winded approach, considering the demographic he is targeting. Let's face it, gearheads all "know everything", and facts simply aren't enough. Think about your average motocross racer.
slipdog
11/6/2015 5:38am
I understand this guys long-winded approach, considering the demographic he is targeting. Let's face it, gearheads all "know everything", and facts simply aren't enough. Think about...
I understand this guys long-winded approach, considering the demographic he is targeting. Let's face it, gearheads all "know everything", and facts simply aren't enough. Think about your average motocross racer.
I try not to think about them as much as possible...
11/6/2015 7:32am
I understand this guys long-winded approach, considering the demographic he is targeting. Let's face it, gearheads all "know everything", and facts simply aren't enough. Think about...
slipdog wrote:
I try not to think about them as much as possible...
11/6/2015 8:42am
I know him... he is a hotrodder not an engine builder. I am a hot rodder and he is on all the popular hot rodding sites for years. He is always way to long winded and harps on the same points too much and that turns people off such that he often gets a cold reception on many sites. He is too much even for most gearheads. He likes to talk about cams and oil.
Cygnus
11/6/2015 9:16am
I knew that about Motul 300v. So I'll save the time. All that I've ran in my bike since new.
Jakes Dad
11/6/2015 9:39am
Used Pro Long 20 years ago in drag racing, wish I would have remembered that stuff for the suck ass Suzuki transmissions. Using it again in the YZ250 2 stroke, using a laser temp gun it did show an honest 25 degree difference on the cases.
mx836
11/6/2015 10:03am
Do not use Rotella! I never will. The oil comes out looking like shit compared to the Maxima I normally use. Oil is cheap, transmissions are not. My dad pounded that into my head by the time I was 8.
Roscoe33
11/6/2015 10:46am
Shell Rotella T has the highest rating temperature tested of any oil without breakdown.
zehn
11/6/2015 1:46pm
mx836 wrote:
Do not use Rotella! I never will. The oil comes out looking like shit compared to the Maxima I normally use. Oil is cheap, transmissions are...
Do not use Rotella! I never will. The oil comes out looking like shit compared to the Maxima I normally use. Oil is cheap, transmissions are not. My dad pounded that into my head by the time I was 8.
Decades of use and thousands of happy customers can't be wrong, just sayin'...
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/6/2015 1:55pm
mx836 wrote:
Do not use Rotella! I never will. The oil comes out looking like shit compared to the Maxima I normally use. Oil is cheap, transmissions are...
Ya know, I thought the same thing when I was 16. Mobile 1 must suck because it comes out so black. Turns out the Castrol 5W30 full syn didn't have any detergents in it, detergent free oil.... and I thought it was better because it came out cleaner.
chuckie108
11/6/2015 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2015 2:34pm
I've always had an interest in oils because of some family ties, not to mention my racing interests. So I have spent a lot of time researching oils trying to figure out the truth. And like any field that has scientists and big money involved, you can find data to support pretty much any argument or brand out there, both for and against. So I tend to run my own "tests" based on my experience and how my own equipment reacts.

Fact of the matter is, there are many great oils out there. I find that reputable brands that are mid sized, and enthusiast owned and operated tend to produce the best products. I've had awesome results with Maxima, Torco, Bel-Ray, RedLine, Motul, etc.. I've also had really good results with manufactured rep'ed products like Honda Line and Yamalube. The marketing based brands(you know the ones that are all hype), like Royal Purple, not so much.

While the mega companies certainly have the ability to engineer great products, they are more concerned with big markets like passenger cars to worry about our small market, so I pass on their products. I tried Rottella based on the cult like support it gets here, especially since "KTM factory uses it!!!!". I personally thought it was garbage and WAY underperformed relative to the above named oils. That was my conclusion, but everyone is entitled to their own experience.

All that being said, I recently tried Amsoil because a good friend is a dealer and has always pushed it on me, In the past I always steered clear because I felt it was a marketing based oil like Royal Purple. I gave it a try reluctantly because the price was right, and to my surprise it has performed on par with or better than everything else I've tried. At the recent 24 Hours of Glen Helen, one of our riders had a crash and cracked a radiator. The bike slowly leaked coolant unknown to any of us. The bike started to overheat and the warning light on the kill switch came on. We rode 2 laps of the course with the light on before pulling the bike in the pit to check it. The bike basically had NO coolant for 2 laps and ran just fine. We topped off the radiator and kept going for another 6 hours without issue. I think the oil was a big asset on this scenario.

Bottom line, its pretty hard to beat good companies making a great products specifically designed for our application.
Just my 2 cents and experience, but to each his own. BBRRAAPP!!!
Old-Man
11/6/2015 2:46pm
2. A NASCAR engine supplier out of North Carolina (they did not want their name associated with any Internet motor oil arguments that may come up, so they asked that their name be left out, which I honored) was so impressed with the motor oil “Wear Protection Capability Testing” I perform, that they sent me 3 NASCAR Racing Oils they use, for testing. They valued my testing efforts enough to include me in what they do, which is quite an endorsement, considering the Professional level of Racing they are involved in. They had been seeing some wear issues with those oils, and wanted to see if I could shed any light on that by testing them. I did test those oils for them, and the test results showed that those oils did not provide acceptable wear protection capability, which accounted for the wear problems they were having. So, they have selected other oils to use, and their wear problems have gone away. If I had tested those oils before they started using them, I could have saved them time, money and grief. That would be Hendrix Racing and they use Havoline as most Nascar teams do
JM485
11/6/2015 4:09pm
chuckie108 wrote:
I've always had an interest in oils because of some family ties, not to mention my racing interests. So I have spent a lot of time...
I've always had an interest in oils because of some family ties, not to mention my racing interests. So I have spent a lot of time researching oils trying to figure out the truth. And like any field that has scientists and big money involved, you can find data to support pretty much any argument or brand out there, both for and against. So I tend to run my own "tests" based on my experience and how my own equipment reacts.

Fact of the matter is, there are many great oils out there. I find that reputable brands that are mid sized, and enthusiast owned and operated tend to produce the best products. I've had awesome results with Maxima, Torco, Bel-Ray, RedLine, Motul, etc.. I've also had really good results with manufactured rep'ed products like Honda Line and Yamalube. The marketing based brands(you know the ones that are all hype), like Royal Purple, not so much.

While the mega companies certainly have the ability to engineer great products, they are more concerned with big markets like passenger cars to worry about our small market, so I pass on their products. I tried Rottella based on the cult like support it gets here, especially since "KTM factory uses it!!!!". I personally thought it was garbage and WAY underperformed relative to the above named oils. That was my conclusion, but everyone is entitled to their own experience.

All that being said, I recently tried Amsoil because a good friend is a dealer and has always pushed it on me, In the past I always steered clear because I felt it was a marketing based oil like Royal Purple. I gave it a try reluctantly because the price was right, and to my surprise it has performed on par with or better than everything else I've tried. At the recent 24 Hours of Glen Helen, one of our riders had a crash and cracked a radiator. The bike slowly leaked coolant unknown to any of us. The bike started to overheat and the warning light on the kill switch came on. We rode 2 laps of the course with the light on before pulling the bike in the pit to check it. The bike basically had NO coolant for 2 laps and ran just fine. We topped off the radiator and kept going for another 6 hours without issue. I think the oil was a big asset on this scenario.

Bottom line, its pretty hard to beat good companies making a great products specifically designed for our application.
What criteria were you using to determine what oil was better performing and how did you go about testing them? I don't agree that Rotella is garbage, but depending on how you tested the oils and by what criteria you ranked them I might change my mind.
Titan1
11/6/2015 4:41pm
Rotella T....all day.
zehn
11/6/2015 4:43pm
JM485 wrote:
What criteria were you using to determine what oil was better performing and how did you go about testing them? I don't agree that Rotella is...
What criteria were you using to determine what oil was better performing and how did you go about testing them? I don't agree that Rotella is garbage, but depending on how you tested the oils and by what criteria you ranked them I might change my mind.
He just subjectively graded them, bro. He hummed to the bike and it hummed back
11/7/2015 6:23pm
chuckie108 wrote:
I've always had an interest in oils because of some family ties, not to mention my racing interests. So I have spent a lot of time...

I'll pretty much second all of this.
djc
11/7/2015 7:48pm
I can't remember which one I think it's the white bottle but one of the rotellias is suppose to be Worse from what i have read on test sites.

I am using rotella 10w-40 in my kx 250f does anyone know if this is ok for winter? Also to the post above what amsoil did you use?
chuckie108
11/7/2015 9:09pm
zehn wrote:
He just subjectively graded them, bro. He hummed to the bike and it hummed back
I quoted "tests" in my original post as an indication that I'm no engineer or scientist. And I also said Rotella is garbage, which may be a bit unfairly harsh. But I do feel you can learn a lot on your own.
I run a an oil temp gauge on my bike(not always, but whenever I'm curious about an oil). I find better oils run cooler. I also find when an oil is broken down and contaminated, it wil also start to run hotter as well. Lower quality oils tend to also go south much quicker. Sometimes I can feel when i ride the bike. Clutch performance is a good indicator. And you can actually tell a lot by inspecting an oil when you drain it. Feel it, smell it, compare it to new oil, etc..
Plus upon teardown, you can get a good idea of how things are working. Believe me, I'd love to run Rotells at 1/3 the cost of my current oil.

Post a reply to: 150 motor oils tested

The Latest