15 Crf450 cracked frame...repairable?

2/5/2023 6:02am
Yes, there repairable fix it up with a good tig weld, and back in business, Generally it will crack on either side of a welded repair...

Yes, there repairable fix it up with a good tig weld, and back in business, Generally it will crack on either side of a welded repair with aluminum, we use to fix industrial doe mixer spoons for a bakery that's some tough stuff there were $500. a pop lasted only 6 months before it snapped again. never on the repair tho. Depending on how they welded from the factory looks like it was on the stop-start of running into the other weld, seems to be a bit off in an angle, or could be from the heat of the exhaust system as well with stress. Silicone will harden over the years, same as concrete give it 30 years it will turn harder than steel, taking a jackhammer to a milling bed taking concrete off and I hit this old stuff on there never even scratched it lol 😂. Might want to add a small heat shield to the exhaust, just to keep it cooler there, some heat wrap, etc. something to consider in the repair process.

It's been 8 years. I'd hope OP figured it out by now.

AJ565
2/5/2023 7:30am

There’s been a few accounts made in the last couple of weeks that have bumped posts from years ago. 

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/5/2023 10:10am
Yes, there repairable fix it up with a good tig weld, and back in business, Generally it will crack on either side of a welded repair...

Yes, there repairable fix it up with a good tig weld, and back in business, Generally it will crack on either side of a welded repair with aluminum, we use to fix industrial doe mixer spoons for a bakery that's some tough stuff there were $500. a pop lasted only 6 months before it snapped again. never on the repair tho. Depending on how they welded from the factory looks like it was on the stop-start of running into the other weld, seems to be a bit off in an angle, or could be from the heat of the exhaust system as well with stress. Silicone will harden over the years, same as concrete give it 30 years it will turn harder than steel, taking a jackhammer to a milling bed taking concrete off and I hit this old stuff on there never even scratched it lol 😂. Might want to add a small heat shield to the exhaust, just to keep it cooler there, some heat wrap, etc. something to consider in the repair process.

For some reason, he signed up and he's bumping up old threads about welding. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2/6/2023 12:40am

The old threads are still in the search engines, and cracking welds are still ongoing, I'm building an aluminum motorbike frame, knowledge never gets old. Quite handy for researching before one begins.

The Shop

2/6/2023 1:13am

Back in the day I got one of the first produced 2000 Cr 250s in the country from Hayward Honda and Suzuki. I remember my Dad and I took it out to Carnegie Cycle Park to do my Dad's standard break in of a new bike on a weekday. I cut some laps on the hard packed clay Mx track at Carnegie. We then in working  took the bike home and my Dad did his standard tear down making sure everything was in proper working condition, drained and replaced all the oil, put lube on everything that needed it etc. We then took it to the Las Banos fairgrounds for the Bounty Hunter series. Did decent in the first 250b moto on the stock bike. Next moto it still felt good until I came up short on the finish line single to table top double/triple. I rode it out and finished the race. I never worked much on my bikes and had no clue why it felt weird. I just figured it felt weird because I cased the jump and it was a stock bike. Next day my Dad noticed the weld where the frame meets the steering neck was cracked. He stripped the bike down to the frame and dropped it off at Hayward Honda on his way to work. The next day Honda sent 2 engineers up from Socal with  new frame. They had a pretty long conversation with my Dad who was an engineer on what exactly happened to the crack. They gave my Dad a brand new frame and took the other back to Socal. My Dad put it back together and we never had another problem with it. Until I sold it to my friend before the 2002 Cr 250s came out. He was riding it at Middle Creek and the rangers came to camp because of the noise and pot smoke. My buddy came riding up and they started busting his balls and realized there wasn't a Vin number punched into the frame. I ended having to go to court with him in Ukiah to explain the story and why there was no Vin number. It ended up costing him a few dollars and some missed days at work. Lesson learned.

Post a reply to: 15 Crf450 cracked frame...repairable?

The Latest